DFP Header Area

Share this MunsterRugby.ie page

High Drama in the ODM Munster Senior Challenge Cup

20th October 2007 By Munster Rugby

Champions Garryowen bowed out of this year’s competition with a 22-16 defeat to Shannon. Cork Constitution lie in wait as they defeated UL Bohemians by just one point. Highfield notched up 36 points over a scoreless Dolphin and are set to meet Sunday’s Well in their semi final after they defeated Old Crescent 20-17.

Quarter Finals
Saturday 20th October 2007
Highfield 36-0 Dolphin
Shannon 22-16 Garryowen
Sunday’s Well 20-17 Old Crescent
U.L. Bohemian 20-21 Cork Constitution

The semi final line up for this season’s ODM Munster Senior Challenge Cup has been set after today’s quarter final clashes determined the team still in the running for this year’s prestigious title. There was plenty of drama played out with the champions Garryowen bowing out to Shannon at Coonagh. However, Cork Constitution lie in wait for Shannon after they overcame UL Bohemians by a one point margin in their quarter final clash. Highfield notched up an impressive six tries in their 36-0 win over a scoreless Dolphin and booked their place in the semi final against Sunday’s Well who defeated Old Crescent 20-17 at Musgrave Park. After nine minutes of injury time in Coonagh, Shannon claimed a 26-16 victory over last year’s champions Garryowen. Andrew Finn opened the scoring with a try for Shannon after ten minutes, which was converted by Andrew Thompson. Seven minutes later Garryowen replied with Alan Kingsley crossing the line to make it 7-5. Thompson added a penalty a minute later to stretch Shannon’s lead to 10-5 however Conor Kilroy reduced the margin two minutes later with a penalty kick for Garryowen. Shannon stretched their lead to 13-8 on 35 minutes after Thompson added another penalty. A 47th minute try from Conan Doyle saw Garryowen level the score, with Kilroy adding a penalty 4 minutes later to give Garryowen a three point lead. Thompson leveled the score once more on 54 minutes with a successful penalty goal, and kicked Shannon three points clear ten minutes later with another penalty. While the game hung in the balance in the closing stages and just three points separated the teams, a further 9 minutes of injury time was played, during which Pat O’Connor’s 85th minute drop goal gave Shannon a six point lead which they held onto to seal the win. Shannon can look forward to a semi final clash with Cork Constitution after the Leesiders claimed a 21-20 victory over UL Bohemians in Annacotty. The home side opened the scoring with a penalty kicked by Aidan McNulty after nine minutes. Four minutes later Constitution got on the scoresheet and took the lead with Daniel Nethery crossing the line for a try, which was converted by Jeremy Manning. Richard Lane scored Constitution’s second try after 17 minutes, with Manning once again adding the extras. Ed Leamy’s 25th minute try, which was also converted by Manning, looked certain to cement Constitution’s dominance, however a late first half resurgence by Bohemians saw them make some inroads into the scoreline. Martin McPhail crossed the line just after the half hour mark to leave the score 21-8, and a 40th minute try from Tommy O’Donnell, which was converted by McNulty saw the half time score read 15-21 in Constitution’s favour. The only score of the second half came from a 55th minute try from Bohemian’s Coleman Finn, bringing Bohemians just one point behind Constitution. Despite some scoring chances from both sides, the score remained static until the final whistle. Highfield notched up six tries in their 36-0 victory over Dolphin. Both Conor Mahony and Conor O’Leary crossed the line twice, with John Gleeson and David Ryan also picking up a try apiece. David O’Brien added three conversions to their try haul. O’Leary, Gleeson and Ryan all picked up first half tries, with Ryan’s try converted to give Highfield a 17-0 lead at half time. Conor Mahony added his two tries in the second half, with O’Leary also crossing for his second try to leave the final score 36-0. Up next for Highfield is an all Cork semi final clash with Sunday’s Well. Sunday’s Well hosted Old Crescent at Musgrave Park in their quarter final clash. Crescent got a strong start, and opened the scoring with a try from outhalf Gareth James after three minutes. The Well got their first points on the board after 15 minutes with a penalty kicked by Johnno Lynch. Ten minutes later the home side took the lead with a try from Tila Tiasoli, with Lynch converting to give Sunday’s Well a 10-5 lead. Ian Carroll crossed the line just before half time to stretch that lead to 15-5 at the break. The sides remained deadlocked for much of the second half with the next score not coming until the 70th minute- this time with Lynch scoring a try himself which wasn’t converted. Trailing 20-5 at this point, a brave Crescent came back late in the game with a 75th minute try from Alan Purcell and again before the end of the game a second try from Emmett Dalton which he converted himself. Sunday’s Well held on to claim a 20-17 victory.
Thomond 6-10 Sunday’s Well Round Two
Bruff 12-24 UL Bohemian
Clonakilty 10-53 Shannon
Dolphin 20-19 Young Munster
Highfield 27-6 UCC
Midleton 7-13 Garryowen
Old Crescent 29-23 Nenagh Ormond
Sunday’s Well 32-18 Waterpark Quarter Finals
Saturday 20th October 2007
Highfield 36-0 Dolphin
Shannon 22-16 Garryowen
Sunday’s Well 20-17 Old Crescent
U.L. Bohemian 20-21 Cork Constitution Semi-Final Draw
W/E 24th November 2007
Highfield v Sunday’s Well
Shannon v Cork Constitution ODM Munster Senior Challenge Cup Final
W/E 29th December 2007
SPONSORS ODM Accountants, North Main Street, Bandon, Co. Cork, are sponsoring this prestigious competition for the third year in a row. The company are long standing supporters of Munster Rugby and have close links with local club Bandon RFC. All three partners, Niall O’ Driscoll, Past President of the Munster Branch, his brother Gearóid O’ Driscoll and Dan Murphy are all members of the West Cork club which is one of the oldest in the province at 125 years this season. The Munster Senior Challenge Cup has a particular place in the hearts of all those involved in Bandon RFC, as the club won the very first Munster Senior Challenge Cup in 1886, defeating Garryowen one try to nil after a replay.


DFP – Right Column – HalfPage


DFP – Right Column – MPU

Related News

Munster Rugby are delighted to confirm the Ireland Women's team and the Ireland U20s return to Musgrave Park for the 2023 Six Nations with tickets...