The Senior Coach Award (U16 to Adult) course is for head coaches working with 15 a-side teams. The course deals with the Principles of Play by developing them through the use of Key Factor Analysis, applied to the Individual skills, mini-unit skills, unit and team skills.
At the end of the course the coach is expected to identify and rectify technical deficiencies together with the ability of planning, organising, managing, communicating and developing the skills of his/her players through the implementation of sport specific and generic modules.
The course develops the coach as ‘Challenger’.
- Participants must be at least 18 years of age
- Participants must have proven rugby playing/coaching experience
- Participants must be actively coaching a 15-a side team
- All applicants are advised that the Senior Coach Award is a limited capacity course. Places are allocated by invitation, with regard to experience and current level of coaching. Applicants are advised not to submit any payment until their place on the course has been confirmed by official invitation.
Numbers Per Course
40 maximum/25 minimum
• Pre-Course Requirement – all attendees must complete an online ‘Concussion Awareness’ module and examination before printing off their certificate of completion and presenting it upon arrival at the course.
• Full course attendance (including two link courses)
• Pass a Laws test
• Log 40 hours coaching (diary) at appropriate level
• Complete a minimum of one Practical Coaching Observation
The IRFU reserves the right to modify, replace or add to accreditation requirements in accordance with updates to Coach Development programmes.
The IRFU Coaching Accreditation Re-Validation programme is currently under development and due for launch in season 2017/2018.
It is envisaged that IRFU coaching accreditations will be re-validated on a 3 yearly basis provided coaches have fulfilled specific ‘Continuing Professional Development’ (CPD) requirements during that 3 year period from when they received their IRFU coaching accreditation.
Such CPD requirements will vary by accreditation stage/coaching level, and opportunities to build on existing IRFU coaching accreditations will be provided by way of provincial workshops, seminars and conferences as well as online resources aimed at promoting coach development in a more self-directed manner.
Date: 7/8 September 2019 Location: Limerick Venue: Thomond Park
Online applications will be available to complete in due course and any further queries regarding the courses can be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org