DFP Header Area

Share this MunsterRugby.ie page

Club News Weekending 5th December 2008

2nd December 2008 By Munster Rugby

Read the latest news and match reports from clubs all over the province.

Aidan Clifford PRO

The Killorglin Rugby Club Social takes place this Friday night, December 5th at Top Deck Restaurant. Starting at 8pm sharp, a limited number of tickets are available from club members.
Killorglin RFC Seniors travelled to Kilrush, Co Clare on Sunday last in the Munster Junior League. In a very close affair, Killorglin narrowly lost out on a scoreline of 22-20. Tries from Killorglin came from Chris O’Sullivan & Vivian O’Callaghan. Brian Gannon converted both and added two penalties. On Saturday, the Under 18s & 14s were due to host Corca Dhuibhe RFC in the Community College Grounds, but the West Kerry club were unable to field a team for either game.
Fixtures:- On Saturday, the Under 16s & 13s travel to Charleville in their respective West Munster Leagues.
Senior Team Training continues every Tuesday & Friday at the Intermediate School at 7:00pm. New players are most welcome and our coaches are happy to introduce novice players to the game. Killorglin RFC Underage training continues. Under-age training continues every Saturday at the Intermediate School. It is not too late to join us as coaches will be happy to coach novices to the game. All are welcome. Under 10, 12, & 14 teams will train on the Dragon’s Den All weather pitch at the Intermediate School at 11am. The Under 18 players will train on the Dragon’s Den at 1pm. For information on any age grade issues, contact Youth Officer John Costello on 0863558185 or P.R.O Aidan Clifford on 0879065927.
Membership for Killorglin Rugby Club is still open for the 2008-2009 season. Family membership costs €50, a single membership costs €30, while a juvenile membership costs €10. The above numbers can be contacted also for more information.

Majella Ryan PRO

Clonmel 1st XV
Clonmel 1st XV were home to Cobh in the Munster Junior League, which they lost 13 – 14 on a bitterly cold day. Clonmel started very promisingly, with a try in the first 5 minutes, and basically controlled the game for most of the first half. However, in second half, the game plan seemed to fall apart and Cobh came back to finish the 14 – 13 victors.

At the club, there was a function for patrons and sponsors of the Club, just to say thanks to all for their continued support. There were about 65 people present, in a cosy atmosphere with roaring fire, hot beef stroganoff and a glass of wine to warm the cockles. An enjoyable day was had by all, despite the result and we hope to see you all at future fixtures.

Clonmel 2nd XV
The 2nd XV were due to be away to Ennis in the Gleeson League last Sunday. Unfortunately, Ennis have had to pull out of the competition and Clonmel did not travel for a game.

Mini rugby:
On Sunday, the U10 & 12s travelled out to Fethard for a "frosty" blitz with the hosts & Kilfeacle.
U12: In the opening game against Fethard, the U12s were slow to get started, an unfortunate recent trend, conceding 5 tries before opening their account just before half time. In the second half we did much better, with both sides getting 2 tries each. In our second game against Kilfeacle, we scored 2 tries without reply before the break and then both teams scored 2 tries each in the final period. Good performances were put in by Andrew Duncan, Shay van Dam, Bill Johnston & Conail Conroy.
U11: This team had just one match against the hosts, played in harsh conditions. The whole squad played very well putting in some good running and passing.
U9 & 10s also played both Fethard & Kilfeacle and all our squad played very well on a cold, frosty morning.

Next fixture: This can not be confirmed going to press, but we will have full details of this & other Christmas events for the children at training on Saturday starting at 10:30am.

Fixtures for Sunday December 7th.
1st XV play Cashel in the final of the Manseragh Cup in Clanwilliam on Sunday, 7th December. KO 2.30 pm.
2nd XV play Cashel away in the Gleeson League, also on Sunday, KO to be confirmed.
U20s are away to Richmond on Saturday, December 6th, KO 2.30 pm.
Under 18s have no scheduled fixture.
Under 16s are at home to Thurles. Kick off at 11 am.
Under 14s are playing away at Galbally in the quarter final of the plate. The bus will leave the club at 9.30 am.
Under 8s, 10s and 12s: No fixture has been confirmed yet for these age groups. More information on upcoming events will be given at training on Saturday.

Denis Wade PRO

Kilfeacle and District R.F.C. win at home to Thurles R.F.C.

Kilfeacle and District R.F.C. 43
Thurles R.F.C. 13

Kilfeacle and District R.F.C. moved up one position in the league with this excellent performance on Sunday. When faced with a home game against a side which has only recorded one victory in the league, players can easily take victory for granted. Performances can easily deteriorate, priorities change and focus wander, however this was not the case on Sunday as Kilfeacle showed their more clinical side and defeated a Thurles team that on the day just came up second best in most departments. This really was a game of two halves. The first half was a tight affair with Kilfeacle opening the scoring with a try by Ian Burns, which was against the wind and just out of range for the conversion attempt by Shane Looby. Kilfeacle were now in the ascendancy and were looking dangerous every time they moved the ball but Thurles were not going to roll over and got themselves on the scoreboard with a well taken penalty, however within minutes Shane Looby restored the home side’s 5 point advantage with a penalty directly in front of the posts. On the half hour mark, Thurles once again made inroads on the scoreboard with a well-deserved penalty. The score line now read 8 points to 6 in favour of Kilfeacle and District. The game entered a period of stalemate during which Kilfeacle had the Lion’s share of both territory and possession but nothing was falling into place. A combination of unforced errors, stout defending and unlucky breaks, kept Kilfeacle from improving on their points tally until the dying minutes of the half when Shane Looby kicked another penalty. This was to be the final score of the half and the halftime score line read 11 points to 6 in favour of Kilfeacle and District.
Kilfeacle started the second half in the manner in which they finished the first and a well worked lineout and subsequent rolling maul saw an impressive Stephen Flood touch the ball down for Kilfeacle’s second try of the game after only 4 minutes. Even though this try was not converted Kilfeacle had now built up a commanding lead and were in full control of the game. After 7 minutes of the second half Johan Bourdal made a 10 yard surge for the line to touch down to heap more woe on a gallant Thurles side. This was not to be Shane Looby’s day with the boot as he watched this conversion attempt clip the outside of the upright to leave the score line reading 21 points to 6. Soon after Shane had to leave the pitch with an injury. What was great to see in this game from a Kilfeacle point of view was the way the team and individuals grew as the game progressed, not only was it a win but it was also a win in style playing exciting rugby, rugby which was enjoyable to watch. Kilfeacle weren’t finished yet and once again Johan Bourdal, who impressed on the day, led the way to finish off an excellent team effort which Kilfeacle’s out half John Keehan, who had now taken over the kicking responsibilities, was unable to convert. Thurles were under severe pressure and defending well however Kilfeacle went further ahead after a well-worked passing move saw Shane Looby’s replacement Tom Tierney finish in style. The conversion attempt was just off the mark. When yet another of Thurles’s attacks broke down, they were punished with merciless efficiency by Kilfeacle and another series of well constructed phases saw Ian Burns finish under the posts. This time Packie Burke slotted the conversion attempt and brought the score to 38 points to 6 in favour of a rampant Kilfeacle team. It must be commented on how a beaten Thurles team never threw in the towel and their efforts and never say die attitude were rewarded when in the 78th minute after some fine work the scored under the posts and duly converted. With only seconds remaining in the game and the result a foregone conclusion no one expected Kilfeacle to run the ball. It was a brave decision and ultimately the right decision. They caught the opposition off guard and never allowed them time to reset their defence before man of the match Johan Bourdal, went over for a try. The conversion kick unsuccessful and was also the last kick of the game to see Kilfeacle run out deserved winners by 43 points to 13.
Team coach David Bourke said after the game that they were as ever delighted with the win and the manner in which the team performed. He said, "The team need to concentrate at all time and should not go into cruise mode when winning as this can backfire. Bonus points should always be chased, as the league is so tight this year that every point will be important. We have a huge game next week at home to Cobh Pirates. All our problems this year have been when we haven’t been prepared correctly or focused correctly on the challenge ahead of us. Next week’s game will be a tough one as Cobh are a difficult side to beat, just look at their win against Clonmel in Clonmel! It is coming to that time of the year where a strong panel is essential, as we are starting to pick up some injuries and we need quality cover in all areas, quality cover that has trained and prepared correctly and approach each game in a timely manner and focused on the squad’s needs. Kilfeacle would like to thank everyone from Thurles RFC and wish the club the best. The team as ever are proud and humbled by the amount of support they receive and hope that their supporters will continue to come along and support them in their efforts this season."
Our next outing is at home in the league against Cobh Pirates on Sunday the 7th of December at 2.30pm.

Kilfeacle Second’s starting to hit form
Kilfeacle and District R.F.C 28
Abbeyfeale R.F.C. 18

The seconds team were called into competitive action this weekend at home to Abbeyfeale. Recent games and performances have been of great benefit to the team and the team continues to make steady improvement. Kilfeacle were delighted with the attitude and endeavour displayed by our players on the day. Recent encounters between these sides have all been close with either team capable of winning. The game was played with great spirit, commitment and at a fantastic pace, with a lot of free flowing moves and running of the ball. The homeside owned the ball for the first 30 minutes of the game and the visitors were defending constantly but they defended well as they held the home side to long range penalty efforts. However the Kilfeacle kicker made two of his kicks count. Kilfeacle came more into the game in the last ten minutes of the half and were able to reflect this possession on the scoreboard which at halftime read 11 points to 3 in favour of the homeside.
Even though they were winning this Kilfeacle side did not relent in the second half and their persistence paid off as they scored two unconverted trys and two penalties, the second try being a particularly fine team effort. On this occasion the homeside were to run out winners at 28 points to 13. Both teams showed their intent and how important the game was to them by the manner in which they approached the game. Selectors and the backroom staff were buoyed by many of the performances on the day, in particular in the forwards Tommy Maher, Alan Kiely and Ritchie Hayes while in the backs Philip Long, Anthony Bowes and John Morrissey impressed. Curry Hanley said that "Some of the first choice players, on the First team, should be aware that there is a wealth of up coming talent in the club and these players are starting to push for places on the First team". The full compliment of substitutes were needed and performed well on the day. This was a display in which it was the teamwork that impressed.
Kilfeacle would like to thank everyone who traveled on the day and wish Abbeyfeale the best for the rest of the season. The team as ever are delighted by the amount of support they receive and hope that their supporters will continue to come along and support.

Kilfeacle U10s compete against Clonmel and Fethard.
Kilfeacle U10A vs. Clonmel U10A 10 – 2 (Kilfeacle won)
Kilfeacle U10A vs. Fethard U10A 3 – 2 (Kilfeacle won)
Kilfeacle U10B vs. Clonmel U10B 3 – 3 (Draw)
Kilfeacle U10B vs. Fethard U10B 3 – 3 (Draw)

Kilfeacle U10s brought some 30 young ‘Blues’ to Fethard Rugby Grounds on Sunday 30th November 2008 to play some strong Fethard and Clonmel opposition. Weather conditions were good and every single child got the opportunity to line out in blue and represent Kilfeacle & District Rugby club. 4 games were played and the results generally were good. Notable players for Kilfeacle were Brian O’Connell, Cian Moloney, Stephen O’Brien, Toss Madden, Kieran Breen, Eoin McCormack, Tommy Bradshaw, Michael McCormack, Liam Og O’ Dwyer, Stephen Farrell, Matt Ryan, Connie Bradshaw, Josh Ryan, Christopher Irwin and James Moloney.

Training still going strong.
We are delighted to announce that the training for the underage/younger teams continues every Friday. If you missed last week’s training do not fear as the place to be is Morrissey Park, Kilfeacle, every Friday night. If you enjoy team sports in healthy surroundings with experienced coaches, great facilities and loads of fun then Morrissey Park is the place to be Friday nights!!

Denis Ryan PRO

The weekend was one of celebration in UL Bohs, with two major social events, and a number of important games also down for decision.
On Friday night, officers and members gathered to honour the Bohs squad of 50 years ago who commenced a golden run of cup and league victories. In attendance were most of the survivors from that era, including Bill Mulcahy, former Irish Captain and Lion, Mick English another Lion who was recently inducted into the IRFU Hall of Fame. They were joined by team mates and internationals Maurice Mortell and Sean McHale, while the distinguished guests included the President of the IRFU, John Lyons and former IRFU President, our own Dom Dineen. The excellently organised night in The Greenhills brought together long separated friends, and if only somebody had recorded the conversations, he would have collected a font of stories to fill a few volumes.
On Saturday our new promises in Thomond Park were officially opened by the Deputy Mayor, Cllr Kieran O’Hanlon, whose father played for Bohs in the first ever game in Thomond Park. The clubhouse was blessed by the Rev Donal McNamara of St Munchin’s and Dean Sirr, and we may have slipped in a little extra prayer for success in the game which followed, in order to avenge our defeat in that 1934 contest. A very enjoyable lunch saw gifts exchanged between the President of UL Bohs, Mick Goggin and Young Munster, Declan Edwards, as well as the IRFU, while to continue the spirit of ecumenism, Donnacha Ryan of Shannon was welcomed when he received a presentation from the John Daly, IRFU President, as a memento of his first cap in the recent internationals.
The game that followed was of vital importance to both sides, for different reasons. Young Munster had the better of the first half, and if their kicking at goal had been better, they would have led by more than the 6-3 advantage they did enjoy as UL Bohs seemed to be overcome by the occasion of their first game in the magnificent new Thomond Park. However, whatever magic words were uttered by Coach Ian Costello during the break, they certainly did the trick. Tom O’Donnell, who was outstanding throughout, forced his way over for a try following good work by Ed Torrie. Then Martin McPhail made a searing run up the middle, and aware of the covering defenders put through a clever kick which Giles Boland latched onto for a try beside the posts. All the time, Fergal Lawlor was putting over kicks, and to show his versatility, added drop goals with right and left feet. This win, by 24-6, puts us in the leading group, and makes next Saturday’s game against St Mary’s of even more critical importance. Check http://www.ulbohs.com/ for details of travelling arrangements.
The U-20 game against Bruff was cancelled, so next up is the vital game in Cork against UCC on Saturday.
On Sunday Young Munster again provided the opposition, this time in Annacotty in the Senior Seconds League. In glorious sunshine, but frosty conditions, UL Bohs did the double over the visitors by winning 27-15. Next Sunday we welcome Bruff to Annacotty in the same competition.
The women also continued with their successful league campaign when recording a 34-0 win over Waterpark in Annacotty. The visitors showed high skill levels and good coaching, but in the end, the greater experience of the UL Bohs women proved the difference between the sides. The next game will be against Ballincollig in Cork on 14th Dec.

Dermot Keyes PRO

Carrick in pole position
Carrick-on-Suir remain top of Division Three Group B thanks to a 52-0 win over Dungarvan in Tybroughney on Sunday last, consolidating their position at the top of league proceedings. Carrick, captained superbly by Willie Stokes, racked up their fifth competitive win of the season and the fourth league win from four outings.
They have now registered 100 points in league action and have conceded just 24 points, which speaks volumes for the defensive steel they’ve added to their lot since the big kick-off in mid-October. The form book suggested a comprehensive win for the hosts and that’s exactly what transpired in Carrick. First half tries from Mick Carroll, Alban Coughlan, James Wallace, Peter Steele and Alan Murray secured the bonus point and the win by the interval. But in a demonstration of the team’s intent this season, Carrick didn’t take the foot off the pedal and crossed the whitewash on three further occasions, though Coughlan, Dylan Davies and Ed O’Donnell. Ross Clery maintained his excellent kicking contribution to the Carrick cause by converting six of the eight tries to ensure a massive win for the league leaders. "Things are going well," said Willie Stokes. "But we’ve nothing won yet in terms of silverware.
"In saying that, we know we’re in a strong position and we’ve got our destiny in our own hands, but we’ve three games on the road to face into after Christmas, and that’s not taking that undecided Galbally game into account.
"But this is what all the hard hours in pre-season were designed for. The attitude on the pitch and on the line is great. We’re in this together and staying together is what’s going to bring success to this club and that’s all we’re thinking about right now."
As the league enters into its Christmas break, the advantage firmly lies with Carrick-on-Suir, with City, Galbally and Douglas all playing catch-up.
Next weekend, Carrick’s first XV are due to shape up to Dungarvan again in Junior Cup action, where nothing other than a sixth win of the season will be expected of the promotion hunters.

In local seconds rugby on Saturday night, Waterford City saw off Carrick under the Kilbarry lights, emerging victorious by 17 unanswered points.

Richard Leonard PRO

1st XV: The first XV had one of the tightest games of the season to date against the youngsters from the oldest club in the country. While Dublin University may have a tradition going all the way back to 1854, the oldest player on the pitch on Saturday was 22. This was a fractious game at times, right from the get go. Trinity took the initial lead when their full back managed to hand off Bruff winger Paul O’Brien before passing inside to centre Con Colclough who ran in for the score after fourteen minutes. Dave Maw opened the Bruff scoring with a penalty on twenty five minutes. Three minutes later the Students winger who was on kicking duties for the day, Colin Jebb missed a penalty opportunity to go further ahead but on 38 mins, Tristan Goodbody managed to break three tackles before getting over to put them ahead by 12 points to 3, Jebb missing the conversion attempt. The Students winger saw yellow a couple of minutes later for constant interference on the ground. Play was delayed for ten minutes to allow Alfie Laffan to be stretchered off the pitch, great care being taken after a mild upper back injury, he has made a full recovery however and should be back training this week. Right on the stroke of half time Bruff Winger Paul O’ Brien managed to convert a five minute period of pressure on the university try line into points when he touched down after a skip pass from Brian Cahill after the students had been dragged into tackle after tackle leaving a four on two overlap for the winger to go over in the corner. Cahill missed the two pointer right on half time and Bruff went into the break four points down, 12-8.

The second half saw a bit of a change around when Bruff really upped the tempo and basically camped for most of the forty eight minutes played within the student 22. Time after time Bruff managed to gain the upper hand only to see it being given away by minor mishaps right in front of the line including crossing, accidental offsides and forward passes (The famed white line fever striking). The students prop saw yellow again after 13 minutes for more interference on the ground. The constant pressure from the Bruff pack finally saw Máirtín O Rourke crossing after a number of five meter scrums putting the home side one point ahead on fifty nine minutes facing into an interminable last twenty minutes. No further score in the game despite being more or less camped inside the University 22 apart from the occasional breakout, however with 8 minutes of injury time played, a lot of us were chewing our nails and the Live 95 FM commentator’s heart was broken making phone calls to me for the result. Ballynahinch’s last minute try against Old Crescent gave them a losing bonus to keep them one point ahead of us in the league table.
Bruff: D.Horan, C.O’ Regan, S.Foster, A.Laffan, D.Murnane, A.Bourke, J.Shine, P.Malone, T.Cahill, D.Maw, J.Moore, B.Cahill, J.Malone, P. O’ Brien, B.Deady, Subs: M O’ Donnell, G.Ryan (Rep. S.Foster), M. O’ Rourke (Rep. A.Laffan), E.Cahill (Rep. B.Deady) G.Leonard (Rep. T.Cahill). Bruff Scores: Tries: P. O’ Brien, M’ O’ Rourke, Pen: D Maw.

J1 XV: The J1 squad made the trip to Temple hill for their Munster Senior Seconds league game against Cork Constitution. Bruff had a reasonably strong squad out but the home team definitely got the better of this encounter running out eventual 30 points to 10 winners.

J2 XV: No game

U20 XV: No game.

Fixtures: Sat 6th Dec
AIL: D.L.S.P v Bruff: 2:30pm
AIL U/20 Bruff v Sundays Well: 2:30pm
Sun 7th Dec
MSSL UL Bohs v Bruff J1, 12:30 pm
Friendly: Presentation V Bruff J2: 12:00pm

Youths: U18 Friendly TBC
U16 Lge.: Young Munster V Bruff, 11:30 am
U14 Lge., Bruff V Shannon, 11:30 am
Mini: U11 Blitz, Richmond.

This week it appears that our intrepid reporter and sometimes hooker John Hogan toured the countryside with the help of Will Leahy from 2FM fame trying to track down the youngster who was handed the match ball at the half-time whistle by the All-Blacks full back Cory Jane. Seimi O’Mahony was given the ball just before Jane walked to the tunnel at the interval but had to hand it over to the ball boys who came looking for it. It turns out that following their efforts, the lads finally managed to get it back into his hands after they received it from the Munster Branch and it still has the grass staining and blue from the pitch advertising on it. Well done to all involved, I’m delighted that the young lad got to keep his memento from this fabulous occasion, it’s just one quickflash memory that will always stay with me from that night after seeing it on the video recording when I got home afterwards.

Finally, This year’s Christmas party has been fixed for the day of the Annual Exiles Vs Presidents XV game in Kilballyowen on St. Stephen’s day for a change. Also on the day we see the return of the "Reindeer Tag" blitz for the second year in a row. Keep an eye on the website for updates. Speaking of the website, it has been moved yet again to cope with the massive increase in bandwidth but this time we should get at least a year out of it (I Hope) before having to increase the hosting package further.

Next week’s executive committee meeting to be held on Monday at 8:00 pm.


Stuart Mangan Appeal Fundraiser

On Saturday April 5th 2008, a simple tackle in a club rugby game in London left Stuart Mangan, a graduate of Rockwell College and UCC, aged just 24, with a devastating spinal injury.

In global terms, Stuart’s injury is the most catastrophic rugby injury seen in recent years. Categorized as C1 Complete, he is completely paralyzed from the neck down and unable to breathe without a ventilator. Stuart will require 24-hour medical care for the rest of his life. Tragically, medical experts have described this spinal injury as the worst to occur in sport.

Stuart’s life and that of his family has been drastically altered as a result. Physically, Stuart is now dependant for his every basic need, in sharp contrast to how he lived his life before the accident. A talented sportsman with an exciting career ahead in banking, Stuart loved to travel and speaks five languages.

In coming to terms with his horrific injury, Stuart has managed to show incredible courage. He is determined to deal positively with his drastically altered circumstances.

Stuart’s care will cost millions and quite simply his future is in all our hands. He and his family have been inundated with messages of good will, many wondering just how they can help Stuart deal with the days and years ahead. A fundraising campaign- the Stuart Mangan Appeal – has been launched and each contribution, no matter the size, will help enormously in ensuring Stuart enjoys the best possible quality of life.

On Thursday 11th of December a student mystery tour fund-raiser will be held. Tickets are available at €20 through UCC RFC (Courtney Canning and Hugh McCarthy) and will include buses to and from a mystery location, comedy by Joe Rooney and others and also free admission to Cubin’s night club.

Please support this event. Alternatively, donations can be made online at http://www.stuartmangan.org/.

Thank You.

by Andrew McNamara PRO

The three week break from competitive action hasn’t, it seems hampered our momentum. After our excellent performances against Terenure in the league and Blackrock in the cup there was a possibility that the break could result in loss of form , but any indication of that theory could be dismissed after Saturday’s bonus point win over UCD in the league, and with the 36-9 victory came an added bonus, second placed in the league. Our league position was something that we hadn’t really thought of before the game as concentration was focused on maintaining the standard we set ourselves previously, but nonetheless it’s nice to see Shannon up close to the top, albeit with a chasing bunch not far behind. This week’s game against leaders Clontarf is huge. Six points ahead, the Dublin side are unbeaten and playing extremely good rugby and are full value for their lead and although a win would not see us take top spot, it would mean that we would position ourselves very well, but that’s another day’s work. Saturday’s game was preceded with a minutes silence for the late, great Frankie O’Flynn and as was mentioned by many after the game, there was no better way to pay tribute to Frankie than to win in style. The bonus point was secured before half time despite a dogged display from UCD which probably accounted for the easing up slightly in the second half. Kevin Griffin crossed for his first AIB league try after 12 minutes and then man of the match Eoghan Grace crossed twice before Andrew Thompson rounded off the first half with the bonus point. UCD did enjoy plenty of possession in the second half, but couldn’t extend themselves beyond our well marshalled gain line to any great effect. Our defence held up well throughout the game which accounted for only three successful penalties for UCD. Another 16 points for Tadgh Bennett, including a second half try, 4 conversions and a penalty sees his points tally well above average for the five league games. A personal milestone for one of our up and coming players, Paul Loughnane was achieved when he tasted AIB league action for the first time. This season alone, 4 players have been introduced to the AIL thus far which demonstrates the ethos of bring younger players through the ranks which will hopefully pay rich dividends not only this season, but in the future.
All in all it was a very satisfying and when Martin Clancy (video can be seen on our website) led the Isle in the dressing room it rounded of a day when we played well and remembered our great Friend Frankie. Saturday will no doubt be the biggest test of the season when Clontarf come to Thomond park for the 2.30 kickoff , but with
Garryowen were the thorn on the sides of both the seconds and the U/20’s as both lost to the light blues in two well contested games.
The U/20’s looked as if they could pull off the win with a highly committed display against a very big Garryowen side and were leading for a long time before eventually conceding the losing score in the second half. Although disappointed with the result the lads should take solace in their efforts and the young side are capable of taking the extra step required to close out games. This Saturday they travel to play Galwey Corinthians at 2.30.
On Sunday it was the turn of the seconds to suffer at the hands of the light blues. It was a high tempo game with both sides showing considerable ability and endeavour. Garryowen took the lead early in the first half and maintained their advantage throughout despite our lads battling hard. Two first half tries gave Garryowen the 10 point half time lead , but a try from Mark Tuohy early in the second half gave us a boast and it looked as if we would at least draw level but we failed to convert possession into scores. As the half progressed Garryowen imposed themselves further and added 7 more points to leave the final score 17-5.
This Sunday the seconds are again in Coonagh when they play UCC at 1pm.
The thirds resume Gleeson league action when they play Old Crescent in Rosbrien on Saturday at 12 in Coonagh.
At underage both our U/13 sides, the blacks and the blues face each other in a league game which should be an interesting prospect while the U16’s are in league action against at 12pm.
Tadhg Crowe informs us that tickets for Munster’s game with Clermont and the Magners league game against Ulster over the Christmas period are available to our members and anyone wishing to secure their tickets should contact him immediately.
Any member who has yet to receive their membership book is asked to contact Ger McCloskey at uniquehardwoods@eircom.net .
Finally, last week I omitted the great news of Donnacha Ryan’s first international cap when he came on as a sub against Argentina in the final Autumn International. Donnacha becomes Shannon’s 17th player to be capped, and although his appearance was relatively short, I’ve no doubt we will see more of Donnacha in Green in the not too distant future.

by Frank Larkin PRO

Our 1st XV hosted high flying Ballynahinch on Saturday in Rosbrien in a critical AIL league game. Defeat for our side would probably take us out of the promotion race for this season while victory for the visitors would give them a commanding lead at the top of the table. The first half performance of the Old Crescent team was excellent. We took the lead early on, thanks to a Mark Woods penalty goal, and extended our lead when, after a strong break by Mark Ryan in midfield, Arron O’Carroll crossed in the right corner for an unconverted try. Our second try came after 25 minutes with Arron O Carroll crossing again in the corner after a great offload by Tevita Tola. The first half scoring was rounded off close to half time with a Mark Woods penalty goal giving us a 16 point lead at the interval.
The second half was a different encounter however, with Ballynahinch upping their performance considerably in the second half. They scored 17 unanswered points in a 25 minute spell to take the lead but with 10 minutes to go, Mark Woods kicked his third penalty goal of the afternoon to regain the lead for Old Crescent. The game was decided when Eamon Broderick intercepted a pass in midfield to score under the posts. Mark Woods added the conversion to extend our lead to 9 points. In true fighting spirit, Ballynahinch salvaged a losing bonus point with a converted try from the last play of the game after a strong break from their scrum half.

Our Seconds played a friendly against Dolphin in Rosbrien on Sunday. Our Thirds played Young Munster and won by 3 points to nil.

In Under Age News, our Under 13s played Richmond on Sunday morning in the under 13 league in Rosbrien. This was the typical game of two halves with the visitors dominating the first half and taking a 10 point lead into the interval with two unconverted tries. In the second half, our side secured some territory and put pressure on the opposition which lead to a try under the posts by Jamie Higgins which he converted to leave the score at 10 points to 7. Despite tremendous pressure in the closing stages they could not add to their total and Richmond took the points on offer. It was a very brave performance from our team which augers well for the future. The under 12s traveled to Ennis to play in a blitz and both sides did the club proud.

Fixtures for next weekend: Rosbrien will be quite this weekend with all of our senior teams playing away fixtures. The AIL continues with our First team playing an important away match against Instonians RFC in Belfast at 2.30pm next Saturday. The team bus will leave from Finnegan’s in Lisnagry at 1.00pm next Friday.
Our Seconds play Nenagh Ormond RFC in the Munster Junior Cup in Nenagh at 12.15pm next Sunday. Note the early kick-off to facilitate players and supporters who want to watch Munster’s Heineken Cup game in France later that afternoon.
Our Thirds play Shannon RFC in Coonagh at 12.00 noon on Saturday, and our Under 20’s play Clanwilliam RFC away at 2.30pm also on Saturday.
Looking further ahead, please note that our AIL home match against Benfast Harlequins RFC on Saturday, 13th December, will take place at the earlier time of 12.30pm to facilitate players and supporters attending the Munster Heineken Cup home match later that afternoon in Thomond Park Stadium.
Congratulations to Patrick Rickard on winning a car in our bi-monthly car draw which was held before the Ballynahinch match last Saturday. All members are strongly urged to join our Car Draw which is a vital means of fund raising for the club.

Clonakilty RFC Club News By Loosehead

Clon Living On The Edge

The difference between Clonakilty being in the top four of the league and their current position fourth from bottom is agonisingly small. They have lost four of their first five games and all were within their compass to win.

None more so than last Saturday’s joust with Malone from Belfast. Malone arrived on the crest of a wave of positive results that had them placed third in the 16 club table. The win in The Vale could see them in promotion territory. That they won was a combination of their ability to take their limited chances, Clon’s propensity to gift the opposition early soft scores and just sheer bad luck.

An excellent performance in many respects but still missing the winning edge that had accompanied those performances in the past. It was a difficult assignment for Coach, Eugene Murnane as he was without regular half-backs, David Cookson and Gary Cribb and winger John O’Donnell. On the plus side was the impressive return of Mike O’Hea who picked up where he had left off before injury sidelined him at the beginning of the season. Mike Keohane also looks to have shaken off the effects of his injury coming off the bench late in the game. Lenny Harte did enough in the first ten minutes to justify a man of the match award. Cribb’s replacement student Eric White played with great composure for one so young and making his AIL debut took over the kicking duties to good effect.

Clon can say they were robbed and who would dispute it? Not Malone who readily agreed thay had played their get out of jail card in this one. Falling behind to an early penalty Clon rallied and drew level at the end of the first quarter through an Eric White penalty. However their gift of a try to the northerners left them 3 – 10 down at the break.

Noel O’Sullivan, Clon’s record try scorer, raised the spirits with a great try from sheer pace and White’s excellent touchline conversion drew the sides level. When he added a penalty to put Clon ahead the win was in sight and indeed the level of intensity was raised with Clon pressing for the clincher when disaster struck. The Malone line was stretched to breaking point with surges from backs and forwards with Ger Hegarty in particular very prominent when a turnover looked to have lifted the siege.

It did more than that! Most teams having taken that pressure would have been satisfied to boot the ball to touch but the Ulster men kept it in hand and made 60 metres before being stopped. They recycled and started again catching Clon for numbers in the end to score a fine try. The conversion put a four-point gap between the sides with time running out.

Clon displayed great belief going for broke and were very unlucky not to snatch a deserved win in the final seconds when O’Sullivan again was tackled as he touched down. The referee was unsure and consulted the touch judge and then ruled against O’Sullivan. A series of excellent photos in The evening Echo did little to satisfy the Clon faithful as the argument continued as to whether it was a try or not. However the officials opinion is the only one that counts and Clon were left again to rue what might have been.

The squad was: Derek Dillon, Darragh Lynch, Paul Dillon, David Lombard (Capt), Noel O’Sullivan, Eric White, Eric Murphy, Joe Knowles, Alfie Harte, Robert Bogue, Danny Whelton, Mike O’Hea, Ger Hegarty, Lenny Harte, Bless Ngaheu, Eddie Knowles, Shane Deane, Mike Keohane, James Deasy and Ciarán Calnan.

This weekend, Clon travel to limerick for a vital game against fellow struggler’s Thomond. The Limerick men will be favourites to register their first win of the campaign with home advantage. Like Clon they have been losing games by small margins and so far to the top teams so their current position in the drop zone should not be taken as indicative of their ability. They will fight on their backs to take the points and will have targeted Clon to start their revival. The following week the west Cork side will take on De La Salle Palmerston in The Vale and these two games and the February meeting with Wanderers will be crucial to Clon’s Division Two status.

A special bus is leaving Emmet Square on Saturday with the team for Limerick at 9.30am. supporters are welcome to travel but please book seat on 086 60 111 11.

This Weekend’s Fixtures; –
Sat. 6th Seniors v Thomond. All Ireland League. Limerick 2.30pm
Under 18 v Highfield. League. The vale 11.30am
Under 16 v Old Christians. League Cork 12.00pm
Under 14 v Cork Constitution. League. The Vale 11.00am
Sun 7th Munster Junior Cup. Killarney v Clonakilty Killarney 2.00pm

The club is delighted to welcome Lynette, Kyrah, Jhai and Kiamani, the family of Bless Ngaheu, from New Zealand and hope that they will enjoy their stay in Clonakilty.


DFP – Right Column – HalfPage


DFP – Right Column – MPU

Related News

A new rugby initiative is seeking expressions of interest from people of all walks of life who may be interested in setting up an LGBTQ+...