DFP Header Area

Share this MunsterRugby.ie page

Club News Weekending 21st December 2008

15th December 2008 By Munster Rugby

Read the latest news and match reports from around the province.

Aidan Clifford PRO

Killorglin RFC Seniors travelled to Limerick on Sunday last to face Presentation RFC in the Munster Junior League. For a second time this season, Presentation won out on a scoreline of 18-5.
Fixtures:- Killorglin RFC Seniors host Castleisland on Sunday in the Munster Junior Cup. Kickoff at the Community College Grounds is at 2pm & all support would be most appreciated.
On Saturday, the Under 18 & Under 14 teams travel to Castleisland while the Under 16s host Killarney in their respective leagues.
Senior Team Training continues every Tuesday & Friday at the Intermediate School at 7:00pm. New players are most welcome and our coaches are happy to introduce novice players to the game. Killorglin RFC Underage training continues. Under-age training continues every Saturday at the Intermediate School. It is not too late to join us as coaches will be happy to coach novices to the game. All are welcome. Under 10, 12, & 13 teams will train on the Dragon’s Den All weather pitch at the Intermediate School at 11am. For information on any age grade issues, contact Youth Officer John Costello on 0863558185 or P.R.O Aidan Clifford on 0879065927.
Membership for Killorglin Rugby Club is still open for the 2008-2009 season. Family membership costs €50, a single membership costs €30, while a juvenile membership costs €10. The above numbers can be contacted also for more information.

Kilfeacle overcome Crosshaven in the league
Crosshaven RFC 3 Kilfeacle and District RFC 14
After our last home win in the league "The Boys in Blue" were on the road again facing a Crosshaven side that so far this have put together some very impressive performances that has them placed in second place in the league. When you take into consideration Crosshaven’s sparkling start to the season and home advantage, in comparison to Kilfeacle’s somewhat indifferent form and playing away from home, you might have been forgiven to have thought that this was a foregone conclusion and a home win. Nothing in rugby is ever that simple to predict!
The game started in sunshine but with a cold strong wind that blew down the pitch and favoured Crosshaven in the first half. In the opening few minutes both sides warily probed and searched for openings like two seasoned heavy weight pugilists getting to know their opponent. Crosshaven new that a win against Kilfeacle was vital to keep their slim chances of winning the league alive. However they were to meet against an ever-improving Kilfeacle side and a pack that was to be reckoned with on the day. Crosshaven laid siege to the Kilfeacle line in the first quarter of an hour trying to take advantage of both being at home and playing with the wind. Kilfeacle and District, the small club with the big heart defended with all their mite. At one stage Kilfeacle held and recycled the ball for 22 phases, which finally forced their opponents to infringe, give away a penalty and pressure was relieved. It was Kilfeacle that landed the first blow when after 19 minutes they worked a scoring opportunity after some great phase play. The combination of Jack O’Sullivan and John Keehan set up Damien Gavin to touch down. Shane Looby was unable to convert the try but he made up for this miss with some excellent place kicking later on. Anxious moments followed for the travelling supporters, of which there was a sizeable amount, as Crosshaven worked field position and scored a well-taken penalty after 24 minutes. The penalty was scored by their out-half, a coincidence on the day was that both out-half’s were Nenagh men. The travelling supporters feared that the Kilfeacle resistance might crumble. The Crosshaven score had, in fact, the opposite effect and galvanised the Kilfeacle team into a unit as they went in search of a tangible response. After 10 minutes of concerted and constructive pressure "The Boys in Blue" notched up 3 more points on the board with a well-taken penalty after 34 minutes, by Shane Looby, that had the scoreboard reading 3 points to 8 in favour of the visitors. Crosshaven are a resilient outfit and did not let this impact on their game plan and came back at Kilfeacle immediately but were met with a stout defence that was well marshalled and disciplined in particular by Shane Flavin, who put in a man of the match display. The pack consisted of not men but "Titans" with towering displays by Scall O’Mahony, James Mullane, Liam O’Gorman, Ger Looby, Stephen Flood, Johan Bourdal, who arose of his sick bed to prove he really has a Kilfeacle heart in his hulking frame, along with those already mentioned. The remainder of the first half was played out in the middle of the pitch with both sides cagily probing the others defence but neither being successful. The halftime whistle came with this absorbing game finely poised at 8 -3 in favour of Kilfeacle and District.
The manner in which the Kilfeacle team started the second half seemed to have an unnerving effect on the home side and when Kilfeacle kicked a penalty from 40 yards by Shane Looby, after 8 minutes to increase their lead to 8 points, questions were being asked of the home side. Crosshaven needed to answer these questions and respond with a score but were unable. What followed can be best described as a siege on the Crosshaven line for the remainder of the game. To their credit the manner in which the home side defended has to be acknowledged as they restricted Kilfeacle a long distance penalty effort from almost the half way line which Shane Looby amazingly kicked. The final whistle came and the visiting side celebrated their hard fought but deserved victory. The display that the Kilfeacle team gave during this game and the manner in which they played could be measured by the applause they received from both sets of supporters and their opponents as the wearily made the way of the pitch. Other players that impressed for Kilfeacle on the day were John O’Grady, Mark Hanley, Diarmuid Carr and Michael Collins.
After the game John Staunton said "I don’t believe that I have ever been as proud of a team after a game. This team is finally starting to show it’s true potential. Inside in the dressing room after the game the boys were elated and deservedly so. They deserved this win without a doubt. Crosshaven are arguably one of the best sides in the league this year and we rattled them to the core. The result does please me but the performance delights me! It proves what I have been saying all along that inside this squad there is a team evolving with the potential to achieve greatness and could even emulate and maybe surpass the achievements of the great Kilfeacle teams of years gone by. One thing you will never lack in any Kilfeacle team is heart and this squad has a heart as big as any and I believe the skill and discipline to match any. This is just one win and one swallow does not make a summer but it is a great way to break for the festive period. I would like to thank everyone involved for their commitment and endeavour so far, "
Kilfeacle would like to thank everyone from Crosshaven RFC who showed us great hospitality on the day and wish the club the best for the rest of the season.

Kilfeacle Under 18’s win against Cashel
The under 18 team were called into competitive action in the league this weekend at home to Cashel. Recent games and performances have been of great benefit to the team and the team continues to make steady improvement. Kilfeacle were delighted with the attitude and endeavour displayed by our players on the day. Recent encounters between these sides have all been close with either team capable of winning. The game was played with great spirit, commitment and at a fantastic pace, with a lot of free flowing moves and running of the ball. Kilfeacle did not relent in the second half when another Try, at this time could have won the game for the visitors. Both teams showed their intent and how important the game was to them by the manner in which they approached the game. Selectors and the backroom staff were buoyed by many of the performances on the day. The full compliment of substitutes were needed and performed well on the day. This was a display in which it was the teamwork that impressed.
Kilfeacle would like to thank everyone from Cashel RFC who traveled on the day and wish the club the best for the rest of the season. The team as ever are delighted by the amount of support they receive and hope that their supporters will continue to come along and support.

Kilfeacle Under 16’s win against Cashel in the league.
Kilfeacle and District RFC 3 Cashel RFC 0
Kilfeacle R.F.C. welcomed Cashel side to Morrissey Park for this league and put in another fine performance to out muscle and out class their opposition on the day. The team coach said he was delighted with the result. However he brought it to the team’s attention that the visitors had made a game out of it. He said that other opponents will be a different prospect and that they will be very hard to beat. He continued by saying complacency could be our downfall. This squad of players have performed well but need to keep putting in the effort at training.

Kilfeacle Under 14s won at home to Carrick-On-Suir
Kilfeacle and District R.F.C. 30 Carrick-On-Suir RFC 18
The under 14s team were on form and hungry for success when they welcomed Carrick-On-Suir RFC to Morrissey Park on the morning of Sunday 14th of December and, because of this, secured a great victory against a well-marshalled and strong Carrick-On-Suir team.
The team coach said "I was delighted with the effort and endeavour displayed by our squad on the day, we gave a good account of ourselves and deserved the win. On the day I thought that the whole squad played as a unit and collectively had excellent games and shone in a thoroughly enjoyable game. We can sustain and even build on this performance as long as we have a consistent turnout for training".

Training still going strong
We are delighted to announce that the training for the underage/younger teams continues every Friday. If you missed last week’s training do not fear, as the place to be is Morrissey Park, Kilfeacle, every Friday night. If you enjoy team sports in healthy surroundings with experienced coaches, great facilities and loads of fun then Morrissey Park is the place to be Friday nights!! Also congratulations to all who organized and supporter the table quiz in Lowry’s pub last week, in aid of our under age players.

The committee would like to wish all its supporters, players, coaches, backroom staff, patrons and sponsors a Happy Christmas and a Prosperous and Healthy New Year.

Richard Leonard PRO

First XV: A Ten-All loss is how one Bruff supporter described last Saturday’s game in Kilballyowen. I wouldn’t completely agree. Highfield came into this game with a mixed record for the season to date facing a Bruff team that has settled in very well thank you to life in AIL division 2.
A good crowd turned up at Kilballyowen with no small number waiting to see Cork inter-county hurler Diarmuid "The Rock" O’Sullivan changing code to tog out in the colours of the Cork City club. Despite being completely dominant in the scrums, lineout losses hindered Bruff in maintaining possession and missed penalties from both sides meant that despite camping almost exclusively in the Highfield 22 for most of the first half, Bruff showed very little on the scoreboard for all of their efforts. Following the sinbinning of the Highfield prop after half an hour of play for constant indiscretions at the ruck, David Maw slotted over the resulting penalty to put the first chink of daylight between the teams. Again it seemed to be one of those days when the large crowds of home supporters felt that if Bruff could only crack open the Highfield defence that the floodgates could open. After a brace of 5 meter scrums with the Highfield pack going backwards, Bruff had a serious chance of a pushover try or even a penalty try but a quickly taken tap penalty was knocked on relieving the beleaguered Highfield defence once more. A combination of stout defending by the cork pack coupled with handling errors by Bruff meant that the first half finished after seven and a half minutes of extra time with Bruff on a mere 3 points to nothing lead. The large travelling Cork support could not believe their luck.

Second half commenced in much the same manner as the first ended with pressure mounting and mounting on the Highfield pack. Bruff were finally rewarded with an Alan Bourke try after only a couple minutes break and with Maw slotting the conversion, the Bruff support began to relax and finally began to feel that finally that Bruff would run up a few scores. That wasn’t in the Highfield directors script though and yet again they managed to repel attack after attack finally lifting the siege with a try on 61 minutes by the Highfield No. 4 coming from a Penalty lineout on the Bruff 5 meter line in what was Highfields first foray into the Bruff half. Their 13 calmly slotting the conversion. Ten points to Seven. Following this, Bruff again laid siege to the Highfield 22 and after one missed penalty attempt by Maw, Bruff battled and battled but failed to get any closer to the whitewash than two meters.
Again Bruff were penalised however and the pressure lifted, Momentum was beginning to swing in favour of the corkonians for the first time in the game. Bruff spurned one last penalty chance just between the 22 and the 10 meter line to kick for the corner but again were unable to convert the resulting lineout into points. Highfield eventually ground their way upfield and were rewarded with a penalty on the Bruff 10 meter line for diving in at the ruck. Again the 13 calmly slotted the kick over and the last minute was played out both sides had to be content with sharing the spoils. Highfield stood testament to the adage that defences win games, and showed that not giving in will bring its own rewards. On the balance of play throughout the game they may not have deserved them but their defence of the line definitely earned their two points.
Ballynahinch and Landsdowne are tied on 25 league points at the top of the table and UCC just keep us in fourth place on score difference, both of us on 24 points. Highfield head towards the middle of the table after going from 12 to 14 points. Our old opponents Instonians have failed to get a single league point after their first 7 outings and look destined for a return to Division three, the question looks like being who will join them. The Christmas break will give the much depleted Bruff squad time to recuperate and build itself up again in time for the second leg in the new year.
Next outing is the Munster Senior Cup Semi-final against our nearest neighbours Old Crescent in Garryowen Football Club on Saturday.

J1 XV: No Game
J2 XV: The "Thirds" won their friendly against UL Bohs by 13 points to 12 but it was marred by a very serious leg injury to J.P. Moloney, who had to be taken by ambulance for treatment. We wish him well in his recovery.

Youth: U18 Bruff 22, Old Crescent 0
U13 Bruff 0 Garryowen 12
Sat 20th:
1st XV: MSC Semi-Final, Bruff V Old Crescent, Dooradoyle, 2:30pm
U20 AIL: UCC V Bruff, 2:30 pm

Sun 21st:
GL, Kilfeacle V Bruff J2, 12:30pm
U18:Bruff V Shannon, 11:30 am
U16:Bruff V NCWest, 11:30 am
U14:Old Crescent V Bruff, 11:30 am
U13:Old Crescent V Bruff, 11:30 am

Mini rugby is finished until the new year. Next committee meeting takes place on Monday 22nd December. Don’t forget that the Reindeer tag blitz and the Presidents XV Game Vs the Exiles both takes place on St. Stephens day along with the club party so make sure to come along and blow out the cobwebs.

Maria O’Mahony PRO

2nds Taken by Ballincollig in League Decider

Sunday 14th December saw Kinsale 2nds travel to Ballincollig for rearranged league fixture, which given the league position of both teams, turned out to be a deciding game in the destination of the J3 league South. After an error ridden and scrappy first half, the sides were level and 3 points each. Kinsale score coming from a penalty by Lloyd Darmody. The second half was an altogether different game with Ballincollig making a breakthrough to score a try and a conversion, leaving the score 10-3. Kinsale replied almost immediately with a fine team score from David O’Connell, conversion added by Lloyd Darmody leaving the sides 10 a piece. Almost immediately Ballincollig got in for another try, however they failed to add the conversion leaving the score 15-10. With five mins to go, Kinsale took the lead with a try from William Crowley, converted by Lloyd Darmody and now a 15-17 score. In the dying seconds Ballincollig were awarded a penalty, which they converted, leaving the score 18-17 to the home side. Best for Kinsale on the day were James Lynch at full back and Billy Kiely led a fine forward display.

Next Fixture: Sunday 21 December Kinsale v UCC at Curaheen – kick off 12.00

Kanturk too strong for 1st XV

The first team went down 10-0 in the first 15 mins coming back with a penalty before half time, taken by Jason Murphy. Both Teams played hard in the second half and Kanturk scored under the posts making it 17-3. Kinsale fought hard but found it hard the break through the Kanturk defence. Peter Murphy scored a try with 10 mins to go, converted by Jason Murphy. Despite Kinsale going over the try line 5 times through the game, it was held up every time leaving the final score 17 – 10 to Kanturk.

Ladies unable to sway Youghal

The Kinsale Ladies team were up against the Division 2 table toppers – Youghal on Sunday last in Kinsale. The visitors got off to a flying start and put in 2 tries before Kinsale settled into the game. Efficient use of the back line resources proved to be the difference between the 2 sides as the 2 packs fought hard to gain control.
It is fair to say that Kinsale had the better possession for most of the game but just could not capitalise with sufficient scores.
It was one of those days where despite getting over the Youghal try line 6 times and being held up 4 times, we could not convert the huge effort into scores.
Final score Kinsale 10 Youghal 29

Every player gave 100% commitment and showed once again how much we have improved. Let it not be forgotten that this is our first year in competitive rugby and the club can be very proud of the effort and dedication of these ladies.
On behalf of the coaches and the ladies, we would like to wish all everyone a happy Christmas and prosperous New Year.
Enjoy the break and come back to visit and support us again in the New Year.

Old Crescent RFC by PRO Frank Larkin

The weather conditions continue to play havoc with our fixture list. The extremely heavy rain before last weekend caused extensive flooding to our main pitch and resulted in our First team AIL fixture against Belfast Harlequins RFC having to be called off on the Friday to save the Belfast side a wasted journey. The game has been refixed for Saturday, 10th January.

Our Second team played Nenagh Ormond RFC away in the first round of the Munster Junior Cup on Sunday. Our team put up a credible performance but lost by 12 points to 10. Kieth Ellis scored a try and JP Hartigan kicked the convert and a penalty.

Our thirds and our Under 20’s didn’t play last weekend. Our Under 18’s, whoe have have performed superbly all season, suffered a heavy defeat by 22 points to nil to Bruff RFC.

In Under Age news, our Under 13s maintained their unbeaten away run in the league with a good victory over Ennis at Lees Road on Sunday. They host Bruff next Sunday in their final league game before the Christmas break. The Under 14s are also hosting Bruff in the league on Sunday morning. Last Sunday the under 12’s hosted Richmond and St Senan’s for a blitz day followed by a fund raiser coffee morning. The action on the field was terrific, on a bright crisp morning with some great rugby being played by all teams. Our teams edged most of the games and everybody got plenty of game time and thoroughly enjoyed themselves. We finish next Sunday with our Christmas party.

The coffee morning was well attended by our President and Vice President amongst other adult members, so we hope they know that the playing stock into the future is in good hands and that they will all be well nourished, even if all the fare on offer is not within the best interests of current players diets (or our owns waistlines)! A fabulous array of buns, cakes, mince pies, sweets etc were on offer as well a great array of spot prizes. Thanks to all the parents and kids who supported this event, and to the ladies in particular who organised it. Munster and Ireland backrow, David Wallace, kindly attended our under 12’s party, which was wonderful after the exertions of the previous evening and we thank him for taking the time out to be with us.

Fixtures for next weekend: Our First team play Bruff RFC in the semi-final of the Munster Senior Cup next Saturday at Garryown RFC’s ground in Dooradoyle. Kick-off is at 2.00pm to allow for extra time if required. All members and supporters are urged to be in Dooradoyle next Saturday afternoon to support our team

Our Second team play St Mary’s RFC away in the Munster Junior Cup Plate next Sunday at 2.30pm.

Shannon RFC – PRO Andrew McNamara

There was no way that our AIB league game against St Marys was going to be easy. They had started well in the league and were certainly going to be a tough assignment. Sunday’s game turned out much as we had predicted but fortunately from our perspective satisfaction coupled with pangs of relief came with the final whistle. A late St Marys rally was snuffed out on numerous occasions and if anyone had doubts about the commitment and mental strength of our senior side, than that notion was dispelled on Sunday. After the sluggish start which saw them concede an early try and then a soft late first half try, the final 26-20 final score could scarcely have been predicted. Tadgh Bennett scored our nine first half points and it looked as if we would have difficulty in securing any sort of result, but motivation comes in different guises and perhaps the chants of "Maro’s, Maro’s " at half time from the vocal travelling support set a resolve in our lads. Where their new focus came from doesn’t really matter in the grand scheme of things as long it worked. Nine minutes in to the new half and Ritchie Mullane darted over and four minutes later the man on the opposite wing Marcus O’Driscoll scored a try that would hold its own on any stage. It was at this point that we could sense victory and despite conceding a penalty to leave a point between the sides the way the lads were playing left us in no doubt how the result would go. Tadgh Bennett’s block down try left some daylight between the scores, but crucially the conversion as missed which did give Marys a chance of a converted try to win the game. The last few minutes were nail biting sure enough, but after the way the lads clawed their way back, they were in no form to relinquish the hard earned lead. A number of five metre scrums were defended heroically until finally the whistle came. So with just a little under half the AIB league gone I think we can reflect with a certain degree of satisfaction that we lie in third place, albeit with a clatter of teams only a few points away. The lads have improved at a consistent rate and the AIB league title is still well within our capabilities. For now though the senior side can take a well deserved break from action over the Christmas and won’t play again until January 3rd in a friendly with Old Crescent.

The ladies finished off 2008 with a great win over Clanwilliam while the U/18’s recorded a comprehensive win over Young Munster in the league which now sees them garner five wins from five games. This Sunday they play in Bruff at 11.30.

This Saturday the Seconds are scheduled to play Highfield in a rearranged league game in Cork at 2.30 and in Coonagh the thirds are in action against Thomond in the Gleeson league at 2.30.

Tickets for the Magners league game against Ulster in Thomond Park are still available from Tadgh Crowe and anyone wishing to obtain a ticket should contact Tadgh before Christmas.

Whilst speaking of Munster, it was great to see 8 Shannon players take the field at various stages in Thomond Park last Saturday in their captivating game with Clermont.

It’s hard to believe that a month has passed since Frankie O’Flynn departed for the choir in the sky months mine and this Saturday evening in St Marys church his moths mine takes place.

A reminder that the clubhouse opens Christmas morning for members at 12 pm until 2pm sharp.

Finally, on behalf of the Executive committee of Shannon, I would like to wish all our members, players and supporters a happy and peaceful Christmas and let’s hope 2009 brings prosperity on the pitch.

Clonakilty RFC by PRO Loosehead

Pack Power Gives Clon Clout

The De La Salle Palmerston team took to the pitch last Saturday in The Vale to a sharp intake of breath from the assembled Faithful. They were undeniably the biggest, hardest and fittest looking forward unit seen for a very long time and there were fears for Clon’s eight as size was never their strong point. The fears were completely unfounded and the appearance of the opposition seemed to matter little to an inspired Clon pack as they made short work of their opponents in the tight before going on to dominate the loose. It was a welcome return to winning ways and may indeed spark the expected revival in Clon’s fortunes. Considering the weather of the previous 24 hours conditions were remarkably good and a sizeable crowd were well entertained by an absorbing match. Clon’s forward dominance resulted in a fine try for Mike Keohane, following good work initially from full back Derek Dillon, as they powered over the line for the Number 8 to get the touch down. An Eric White penalty gave Clon an 8 – 0 half time lead.

DLSP struck back early in the second half with a try which although well executed was worrying as it appeared all to easily scored. Clon’s second try and match winner was superb. Good work again from the pack secured possession deep in the Dubliner’s half. David Cookson spotted nobody at home on the blind side. He also noticed no Clon player in position and coolly helped Alfie Harte from the bottom of the ruck to his feet and out on the wing. He then fed the hooker the ball and Harte almost made the line. From the resultant lineout a great catch and drive had Joe Knowles and Ger Hegarty over the line with the try awarded to Knowles.

There is now a break until the 17th January when Clon will hope to resume in similar form up North against Belfast Harlequins. The Squad was ; – Derek Dillon, Darragh Lynch, Paul Dillon, David Lombard (Capt), Noel O’Sullivan, Eric White, David Cookson, Eddie Knowles, Alfie Harte, Robert Bogue, Danny Whelton, Mike O’Hea, Bless Ngaheu, Lenny Harte, Mike Keohane, Joe Knowles, Hugh O’Neill, Ger Hegarty, Eric Murphy and James Deasy.

The Bulldogs were robbed of a surprise victory against pace setters Ballincollig by the bounce of a ball. Leading 12 – 3 after dominating the game for long periods and going into the final straight they were caught by a deceptive bounce. The referee and linesman was also caught as the ball clearly bounced out of play before coming back in and a grateful Ballincollig player caught it and ran for the line unopposed. The converted try left just two points in it and a revitalised "Collig" scored again to pinch it. The quality of Clon’s two trys were remarkable. The first was from an excellent text book transfer of the ball from forwards to backline with winger Mike Buckley finishing impressively. The second was from a searing break from veteran scrum-half, Emmet McCarthy who almost made the line and when stopped found another veteran, Paudie O’Connor in support and he couldn’t be stopped as he drove over the line. However Ballincollig "stole" it at the end with a late score.

The Squad was ; – Cathal Kirby, James Kingston, Mike Murphy, Cathal O’Regan, Dave Jennings, Brian Blackwell, Alan Harte, Paudie O’Connor, Emmet McCarthy, Padraig Kingston, James O’Driscoll, Matt Kirby, Mike Buckley, Geoff Wycherley, Finbarr O’Mahony, Ciarán Murphy and Dave McCarthy.

This weekend Clon have formidable visitors in Carrick-on-Suir. The Tipperary side have been going well this season and will be favourites to reach the next round of The Munster Junior Cup. Clon will have other ideas but there is no doubting the threat the men from Carrick pose.

This Weekend’s fixtures –



Under 18





Under 16





Under 13







Senior A



The Vale


Nenagh Ormond by PRO Theresa Hassey

Senior XV: 9 – Arda 18

Ards were good value for their victory at New Ormond Park on Saturday last. Due to the clash with the Munster Fixture, the crowd was one of the smallest to have visited for an AIL game. Underfoot conditions were quite heavy and any forward exchanges were quite attritional. Free flowing rugby was not going to be the order of the day. Ards had big strong forwards and the day certainly suited them. As ever, in these games, Nenagh were slower off the mark and Ards were 3-0 up within a short period. Nenagh found it difficult to get a foothold in Ards territory. There were a huge number of handling errors and things seemed to get broken down very easily. Ards seemed to build in confidence as the first half wore on and were rewarded with a try, which was converted. Nenagh were better from that point and were awarded with a penalty themselves, but errors seemed to be undermining Nenagh’s cause. Half time, you thought, could not come quick enough.

Unfortunately the second half started as the first half finished and errors were killing Nenagh. Nenagh’s effort was more concerted. As the game wore on Nenagh’s set piece was coming under pressure as the bigger Ards forwards were revelling in the conditions. The ball Nenagh got was invariably bad ball and this created its own pressure, while territory and possession was dominated by Nenagh, it was hard to see where a score would come from. Nenagh got it to 10-6, but shortly after conceded a penalty to leave it at 13-6. For the final quarter, Ards just seemed that bit stronger and when a clearance down field was not dealt with by Nenagh defence, it was seized by the Ards chasers and resulted in a score which did not convert. This was a very poor ending to this phase of the league and leaves Nenagh on 11 points, fourth from the bottom.

It is hard to say how Nenagh found themselves in this position, as they are definitely better than this. It seems that when confidence ebbs away, it ebbs away too quickly.

Our next competitive fixture is on the 10th January against Galwegians in Galway in the AIB cup, that will be followed by an away fixture to Sundays Well. Hopefully a concerted effort to put things right will ensure a better start to 2009 than the end to 2008.

Team: M Kennedy, C Griffin, F Brislane, R Powell, J Quigley, C McMahon, M Vulvula, D Horan, M Fogarty, J Lillis, D Delaney, T Connolly, R O’Brien, V Tuidragi, J Kingston Subs: C Langley, B Maxwell, D Corcoran, B Williams

Senior Seconds Junior Cup
Nenagh 12
Old Cresent 10

Nenagh played Old Cresent in the first round of the Junior Cup on Sunday last. It was a fine day but under foot conditions were slippery. Nenagh got off to a great start and were rewarded with a penalty after five minutes, unfortunately the kick was missed. From the resulting 22 drop-out Marc O’Meara caught it on the run, chipped ahead and won the foot race to score a brilliant individual try, the conversion was missed. Crescent came back strong and got a penalty of their own within a couple of minutes. The kick was good. It was an evenly contested game played between the 22s, however Nenagh seemed to be giving away the most penalties, although not from kickable positions. The score was 5-3 at half time. The second half was much the same affair but Nenagh did tighten up the penalty count. Nenagh extended their lead in the 17th minute when captain Eoin Gardiner fielded a kick offloaded to David Corcoran who in turn found Robbie White, he chipped the last defender and won the race to score a excellent try, another try the backline has scored from a counter attack. John Lillis converted from the touchline. Nenagh were now well on top and starting to dominate the game, when a clearance kick failed to find touch and bad tackling ,Crescent hit back with a counter attack of their own to score under the posts. With the score now at 12-10 with ten minutes left, Nenagh came back strongly after the momentary lapse of concentration and could have extended their lead. There were some fine performances all over, Paul and Michael Slattery marking their comebacks with solid games. Stephen O’Sullivan, a former Crescent man made his debut, Martin Fogarty and Eoin Gardiner really pushed hard for man of the match but that honour went to Bryan Williams who had another superb game. With the squad ever expanding and the level of their performance, it really gives the management team of John Moylan, Fergus Austin and Eamonn Dooley a selection headache ahead of the second round next week which is away to Fermoy. There will be a bus going with limited room still available for supporters who want to travel on the team bus. Contact John Moylan on 087 2831406 for details.
Team:R.White, M.O’Meara, D.Corcoran, M.Fogarty, B.Maxwell, J.Lillis, E.Gardiner, P.Slattery, C.Ryan, D.Dunne, J.Moloney, B.Williams, E.Woods, A.Grey, D.Sherlock. Subs: I.Foley, J.Coffey, S.O’Sullivan, M.Slattery, M.Corcoran, S.Delaney

Nenagh Ladies Rugby team go into the Christmas break unbeaten so far this season. The girls Christmas party night was last Friday and a great time was had by all. Thanks to all at Jin’s Chinese, Dowlinz and Maximus and Merry Christmas to all the girls, coaches and club members. Also, congrats to Roscrea Ladies who played their first league match on Sunday and had a comprehensive win over Garda (Dublin). Both ladies teams, (Nenagh and Roscrea), are hoping to have a joint training session over the Christmas holidays so we’re looking forward to that. The girls continue training Wednesdays and Fridays at 7:30. New players welcome, contact Louise on 087 2201596.

Under 20s – Training continues on Friday nights at 7.30 in Tyone. Under 18 and under 14 games cancelled due to the weather. Under 16s – Thurles – 10 Nenagh Ormond – 10.

Nenagh came away from Thurles with a hard-earned draw in the East Munster League on Sunday last. Nenagh played with a strong wind in the first half but didn’t take full advantage of the elements. Too many silly penalties were given away, allowing Thurles to clear their lines. In fact it was Thurles who scored first. Nenagh replied just before half time with a good try from Thomas McNamara to leave the score at 5 – 5 at the interval.

Nenagh took the lead in the second half with a Ronan Murray try and had to defend for their lives for the final 20 minutes. Thurles got in for a try with virtually the last play of the game, and missed the conversion to take maximum points.

Our under 8s, 10s and 12s also travelled to Thurles where they played in a blitz involving teams from Thurles and Roscrea. A great mornings rugby was enjoyed by all.

This week’s underage fixtures:

U18 home to Clonmel 11am Sunday.
U16 home to Clonmel Thursday night (under lights.) Kick off time to be confirmed at training.
U14 home to Dungarvan 11am Sunday.

Junior Cup – 2nd Round

Nenagh Ormond – away to Fermoy in the 2nd round of the Junior Cup.

Sunday next (21st Dec) Kick-off 2pm

Limited room available on team bus for any supporters who wish to travel.

Contact John Moylan on 087 2831406 for details


DFP – Right Column – HalfPage


DFP – Right Column – MPU

Related News

Musgrave Park will host the Ireland Women’s team again next year with the 2023 6 Nations home games against France and England taking place in...