DFP Header Area

Share this MunsterRugby.ie page

Club News Weekending April 20th 2008

14th April 2008 By Munster Rugby

Read the latest club reports and news from clubs accross the province

Val Byrnes PRO

Senan’s win Munster Junior Plate

St. Senan’s 7 ? 3 Clanwilliam
The Saints travelled to Bruff on Sunday 13th.April to play Tipperary side Clanwilliam in the Munster Junior Plate and came away with a superb win. The low scores didn’t reflect on the quality of rugby played on the day as the two teams went out and gave it everything they had and more. It was a tough and very physical game and all credit goes out to the teams. The first half finished 0-0 and this just proved that neither team were giving an inch of space for the other team to let them through their defensive lines.
The Second half was just under way about 5 mins. when Clanwilliam were awarded a penalty which they converted to give them a 3 point lead. Senan’s were very unfortunate to miss a massive penalty kick from just inside the half way line by Stephan Ryan which just went wide of the posts. The next 20 minutes saw some tremendous drives by our pack but we just couldn’t break through Clanwilliam’s defence. Senan’s made a few changes to the side and with some fresh legs on the pitch it gave them the boost they needed. It was 30 mins. into the half when with some tremendous drives towards Clanwilliam’s try line and after spending about 8 mins. between their 5 metre line and try line our pack just dominated and with much perseverance drove them over the line with Aaron Skerritt touching down for a well deserved try.
The much appreciative Senan’s supporters lifted the roof off the stand with the cheers for the lads which was more than well deserved as this was just what they needed. Captain Stephan Ryan stepped up and dually converted for another 2 points to now put Senan’s into the lead 7 ? 3. It was Clanwilliam who then charged the Senan’s defence but couldn’t break through. It was into injury time when they came very close to scoring in the corner but Senan’s backs kept them at bay and all that was left now was for us to find touch and for the ref to blow it up, and when he did the cheers could be heard back in Limerick.
Impressive for Senan’s on the day were all 15 individuals who combined as one unit that couldn’t and wouldn’be beaten on the the day.
With the wild and blustery conditions out there on the day all credit goes out to the two teams for putting on what can only be described as a great game of rugby
The President and committee of St. Senan’s would like to take this opportunity to thank all those who travelled on the day and all those who supported us thoughout the year. THANK YOU.
St.Senan’s: T.O.Brien, P.Ryan, G.Hall, D.Fitzgerald, T.Skerritt, A.Skerritt, M.O.Connell, S.Ryan, F.Duggan, D.Collins, W.Kelly, C.Sloan, A.Cawley, B.Collins, D.Dunne.
Replacements: F.Lawlor, N.Hoban, D.Lee, D.Sonnerman, M.Lyons, S.Markham.

Photo’s of the game and celebrations can be viewed on our website www.stsenansrugby.com

Majella Ryan PRO

Clonmel 2nds through to Evans Cup Final

Clonmel 27 Thurles 6

Clonmel 2nd XV went in to this Evans Cup semi final on the back of giving Waterpark a drubbing 62 ? 13 the previous week. Clonmel always knew that this semi final wasn’t going to as easy, but they started the brighter against the wind and were making breaks at every opportunity. Only five minutes were gone and Thurles were pinned back in their own ?22? defending their lines. From a lineout, Clonmel gathered and David Harney set up a crash ball for Aaron Curran to break the gain line, and the resulting pick and drive by big Michael Czuprynski crashed over the line to go in for the first score of the game. The resulting conversion was missed. Thurles restarted with the drop off and Clonmel again gathered and hit up field with a good break by Gav O Dea. This pack was focused on winning and retaining possession as much as possible. Clonmel came back down to the opposition’s half and strung a couple of back moves together which brought full back David Lonergan in to the line who off loaded to Brenny Leo to set up a maul. The forwards were dominant and head strong Czuprynski was again in the right place at the right time to brush off a Thurles defender and go over for his second try of the day.

Thurles never took the foot off the pedal, and from the restart came back with all guns blazing. Clonmel were judged to be off side when defending and coughed up a penalty in front of the posts, which Thurles duly converted. We kicked off again and soon found ourselves defending our line for the next five minutes. The referee blew for another penalty in front of the posts which was converted to make the score 10 ? 6. Ray Fahy led the charge down field with support from Purcell and Normile working tirelessly all day. Just before the half time whistle, Clonmel were awarded a penalty in front of the posts which Paddy Long converted to leave the half time score 13 ? 6 in Clonmel’s favour.

Clonmel started a fresh in the second half and were on top of the ruck and mauls straight away and were making ground with Curran and O’Donnell crashing up the centre when the opportunities arose. Clonmel managed to spread the ball more widely now and had the Thurles defence in turmoil with the exhilarating kicking by outhalf Harney. Gerry Purcell had his forwards hitting everything and regaining possession after every hard yard. Only a few minutes later, and this pressure told when Lonergan was given the chance to run up the wing and score under the posts. Long converted to leave Clonmel 20 ? 6 in front and everything was still to play for. Clonmel brought on Paul Walsh for Leo and made a good impact with some darting runs up the wing.

The lineouts were well contested between the two teams and the ref had to step in a number of times to intervene. After some fierce tackling by Clonmel, they managed to turnover the Thurles ball and kick up field. The Thurles full back gathered and gave a hospital pass out to his winger only to be intercepted by Paul Walsh and run in under the posts for the final score of the game. The resulting conversion was kicked to leave Clonmel 27 ? 6 in front. Clonmel made a few changes, bring on Dillon, Ryan and Cross for the last fifteen minutes. Tempers rose and big Polish Michael was given ten minutes to sit out in the sin bin. For the rest of the game both teams attacked to find another score but Clonmel ran out deserving winners of this semi final. They now await a final against Cashel or Scariff. Clonmel 2nd XV will face Carrick-on-Suir in the Ballyrandle Cup semi final on Sunday.

Kilfeacle RFC
Denis Wade PRO

Kilfeacle Under 16’s win East Munster Cup to complete Magestic Double.
Kilfeacle R.F.C. 17
Waterpark R.F.C. 03

Before the Christmas break Kilfeacle R.F.C. Under 16’s team put together a string of excellent results to book their place in the East Munster Final. Having deservedly won the final, Kilfeacle went on to subsequently win the semi final and were beaten by the narrowest of margins in an enthralling Munster Final. Their exploits were awe inspiring and go to illustrate the depth in strength there is in the little club on the Hill.
However much they were disappointed, they did not let it affect their aspirations of a league and Cup Double. Kilfeacle were the hot favourites and so far unbeaten. Knowing that they were underdogs did not sit well with the Waterpark side and they were determined when they traveled to Clonmel for the Cup Final not to let themselves down. The sun was shining at kick off but there was a strong wind blowing directly down the pitch. Waterpark won the toss and elected to play against the wind in the first half and endeavour to hold Kilfeacle to a low score. However they had not reckoned on a Kilfeacle side that had grown so much in stature since their last encounter.
Kilfeacle started the match in a frenetic manner and buoyed by exuberant support kept creating chances throughout the half. They bossed the half impressively and deservedly led at halftime by 7 points to 3 having scored a converted try. At halftime the message was simple they had to hold the opposition, make each and every tackle, take every chance that came their way and make no mistakes. When Kilfeacle scored a try after just 15 minutes of the second half the alarm bells rang. But however hard Waterpark tried they were just no match for Kilfeacle, it was then that the true character of the Kilfeacle young men came to the fore and they gave a display of controlled team rugby that would not have been out of place in the professional game. With the 10 minutes of normal time left Kilfeacle scored. The final whistle sounded to unbridled scenes of jubilation. Team coach Seani Heuston said he was delighted with the result. He said that the season so far has been fulfilling for everyone and the team has progressed in leaps and bounds. He asked that no individuals be singled out for this particular match, however he asked that two of the players who had suffered injuries be mentioned, they are Niall Barry and Paul Downey and that the squad as a unit be praised for their achievement because no one individual deserved praise more than another. He thanked Clonmel for graciously providing the facilities and hosting the game, he thanked Waterpark for an enormously entertaining game played in only the best spirit, he thanked the club, supporters and support structure that has been their from parents and family, finally he thanked the players themselves for their commitment and effort. The players themselves had nothing but praise for their coaches and said that this win would not have been possible without them.
On Sunday 13th April 2008 Kilfeacle under 16’s squad stepped on to the pitch in Thurles as nervous boys and 70 minutes later they strode off the pitch as young men after writing another chapter in the impressive history of Kilfeacle and District R.F.C. and something tells men that this bunch of players have many, many more chapters to write.

Kilfeacle Under 14’s win in local Derby.
Clanwilliam R.F.C. 05
Kilfeacle R.F.C. 29

Kilfeacle under 14’s travelled to Clanwilliam Park on Sunday to take on their nearest rivals in the cup semi final. Being a local derby there was always going to be lots of pride at stake but it was the boys from the Hill who came away deserving winners with a 29 to 5 scoreline at full time. Control of possession was the major difference between the sides with some excellent rucking and mauling displayed by Kilfeacle. Tries then resulted with touch downs by Bryan Roche (2), Oisin O’Meara, Fintan O’Murchu and Chris Coen. Two conversions by Jake O’Halloran put the icing on the cake but the coaches still feel there is further room for improvement in trying to minimise errors. A fine display was given by Matciec in the front row and as always, Oisin O’Meara led from the front. Unlike other teams in the club our season has not yet ended so a full turn out is expected at training now as we near the end of the season.

Kilfeacle Under 8’s celebrate in style.

The end of a very successful season has come for the Kilfeacle U8 rugby players. After winning the Clonmel Blitz cup by emphatically beating teams such as Galbally, Nenagh, Waterpark and Dungarvan a day of celebration was planned for the young blues. On Sunday last the club treated the U8 panel of 33 young boys to a fun day in Tipperary Town. There was an hour and a half at Empire of fun followed by a break for food. Once the food was finished there was a two hour football tournament organised at the astro pitches in Tipperary complex. There were 4 teams and a mini league. Once the football was over the McBurger provided the food for the starving young players from Kilfeacle.
A fantastic day was enjoyed by all and it was fitting after a great season’s performance by the young talented players from Kilfeacle & District Rugby Club. A word of thanks to all the U8 coaches, mentors, parents and officials of the club for a wonderful day for the U8s.

Congratulations and Best Wishes.
Kilfeacle RFC have two players who have made great strides in the Senior Club rankings. Firstly, Kevin Griffin, who played Prop for Shannon in their Senior Cup success last weekend, who put in another fantastic Man of the Match performance. Secondly we wish the best of luck to Ger Looby who will be lining out with Bruff RFC in their up coming Cup Final.


Andrew McNamara PRO

They say that you can’t beat experience, and without adding to the age old clichés, last Saturday in Dubarry Park was one of those days when experience and guile won the day. The AIB Cup, after three years is finally in our possession and it’s a great feeling. You can never tire of winning national trophies and even with several players having a substantial haul of AIB league medals, Saturday’s Cup victory was something special for all the players. For many it was their first experience of a National final and their contribution in a tough and tension filled game was enormous, but it was the knowledge patience and skill of some of our more seasoned players that gave us the impetus to beat a gallant Blackrock side. Few arguments would be drawn from our side of the fence if Blackrock had won, but in age old Shannon tradition, you never give up. Mossy Lawlor was nominated man of the match after his outstanding performance, but even he acknowledged after the game his colleagues were immense, none more so than Colm Mc Mahon and Kevin Griffin whose work rate was unbelievable. Gallimh, Ian, and Niall instilled the belief in the players before and during the game and the mantra of defence, defence, defence certainly paid rich dividends as our line held firm on several occasions in the face of a concerted onslaught form Rock. To say that the final minutes were tense would be an understatement as hearts leapt, skipped beats and generally done things they aren’t supposed to. For all our magnificent, highly vocal and loyal supporters who travelled in great numbers a heartfelt thank you from all the players and management. Shannon is a team effort throughout the club and everyone who has contributed is as much a part of Saturdays win as the players themselves. Presentations made, the cry from the faithful was where Frankie is. On the pitch one minute, up in the stands doing what he does without equal in the blink of an eye, the spritely Frankie O’Flynn gave us the Isle and how sweet it sounded. It also has to be mentioned the story of two young players who in their own way had an influence .Both U/20 players , Richie Mullane on the cusp of probably his most important game ever made a call prior to the game that belied his youth. Injured all last week he was given the opportunity to prove his fitness just prior to the game and it looked as if he would line out , but he took the decision himself declare himself unfit and therefore out of the game. Up steps Mike Kinsella, playing his first major senior game for the club and proceeding to play as if he was a permanent fixture on the team.

No one will quibble that we didn’t play particularly well and if we are to add to our senior cup and now the AIB cup we will have to notch up a gear. Celebrations were cut short as the focus returns on the AIB league. Our final game sees Greystones travel to Coonagh and the maths are simple, a bonus point win will guarantee a home semi final, but make no mistake Greystones will not be underestimated. They are the only side that we have failed to beat in the AIL and although it may only be two game winning sequence, it’s a statistic that we will want to rectify come Saturday. The senior squad are holding a Dig Night Fundraiser in the Markets Field next Thursday evening at 8pm and Tickets are available from any senior player and will be sold on Saturday.
On Saturday when we were all in Athlone the thirds The Thirds advanced to the final of the O’Carroll Plate with a good 24-8 win over Cashel in Coonagh. The lads crossed for four tries in total. The first try came twenty minutes in after very good handling and continuity. The ball was worked wide after good interplay, and left wing Jonathan Bedford rounded off the move with an excellent touchdown in the corner. The second score came following a super break from deep by right wing Fergus Curtin, and when the ball was quickly recycled, superlative prop Ger Broderick collected outhalf Tony Hall’s cross-pitch kick to score. Shannon scored their second and third tries after sustained pressure on the Cashel line. A well organised maul from a lineout resulted in hooker Cian Noonan getting the touchdown, and then captain and scrumhalf Sonny Ryan sniped from close-in. Hall completed the scoring for Shannon with two conversions. Best for Shannon were centre Stephen Garvey, full back Pat Dundon, and forwards Pat Quinn, Thomas Caulfield, Jim Henegar and Will Dalton who were prominent out of touch against a bigger and heavier Cashel pack. The final, against Young Munster will be on this Sunday in Bruff at 3pm.
Wednesday evening saw the U/18’s progress in the cup after a hard fought game with St Marys in Healy’s field. An early try set them on the way but they had to battle hard right up until Conor Cunane clichéd the game with a great try.
The U/13’s had a busy couple of days competing in two cups competitions and progressing comfortably in both. Thomond were beaten 33-7 in the North Munster league and in the inaugural Moore Stephens Patrick McNamara Cup they progressed thanks to a win over Garryowen.
This Sunday they are in Cup action in Coonagh at 11am.
Our Annual presidents night takes place on Friday the 26th of April takes place in the Hilton Hotel. Music on the night will be provided by Shantytown with a disco to follow. Tickets are €;50 and Liam Costello can be contacted on 086 0630427.


DFP – Right Column – HalfPage


DFP – Right Column – MPU

Related News

The Munster Men's and Women's sides will be in action from August as the Women take part in the Vodafone Women's Interprovincial Championship and the...