DFP Header Area

Share this MunsterRugby.ie page

Club News Weekending 28th October 2007

23rd October 2007 By Munster Rugby

Club News Weekending 28th October 2007

Latest news and match reports from clubs around the province.

Collie Bartley PRO

Bonus point the only bonus for Carrick

There was huge disappointment in the huddle after this defeat last Sunday. It was hard to put the finger on why Carrick had lost to Kinsale, but they had. In essence, and in fairness it was know before the match, Kinsale are a good team. No shame in defeat.
Carrick had worked hard in the first half; they went behind to a penalty and gave Kinsale two more kickable opportunities which the visitors didn?t take. This was the spur for the home team to dig in and put pressure on a Kinsale unit, whose back three were very good of getting them out of trouble.
Incessant pressure in the last 15 minutes of the first half saw Carrick getting two penalties in Kinsale?s half, both of which were converted by out-half Iain Hilliard. Carrick went in at the break 6-3 up.
The conditions change slightly around this time and what was a breeze behind Carrick became a bit stronger in Kinsale?s favour. Carrick had already seen the efficient boot of Kinsale?s number ten in the first half, in the second it became even more important.
Kinsale got a foothold in Carrick?s 22 early in the half and from there on in Carrick struggled to get out of there. The defense by the home team was remarkable and Kinsale never really threatened a try. But their persistence forced errors and penalties. They converted three of four in the second half.
Once or twice Carrick did get out of the half, a great move off a solid scrum, one of the best moves Carrick produced all season; saw Shane O?Keeffe making an outside break. A move that started in our own half was stopped agonisingly close to the Kinsale line, the recycled ball was spilled and Kinsale got out again.
Carrick?s best attacks in the second half came from the excellent JP Wallace. His counter attacking led to Kinsale scrambling in defence, but the moves always broke down eventually, through either knock ons or infringements.
Kinsale got one final penalty with a minute to go, if it was kicked Carrick would have got nothing from the game, but the Kinsale outhalf missed a difficult kick and Carrick got a bonus point. I suppose bonus is the operative word, as the performance, heart and determination deserved some reward.
Carrick after the game stood firm and pledged to go on from this. It is a major blow but not a fatal one. This season is still an opportunity for success for Carrick. This team will grow from this.

Team: A Murray, W Stokes(C), J Heffernan, E Stanley, J Phelan, P Lanigan, J Walsh, S Fitzpatrick, E Lonergan, I Hilliard, J Wallace, E O?Donnell, S O?Keeffe, R Murphy, JP Wallace. Subs: R Geoff, B Phelan, B Dignham, E Barry, N Phelan

The second?s team had a good run out before the firsts match. They played Waterford City in the Tybroughney cup. A great turnout for the match saw Carrick pick from a full team for the first time this season.
Some good displays and a great solo try from David Kiersey saw Carrick come through this one, 12-7. A game that could have been won by more, but Carrick will take the victory as it really was the first time this season the whole team came together. Another turnout at training this Friday, like last week will only improve this team. There is potential in these players so let us hope it can continue along these lines.

Aidan Clifford PRO

Killorglin Rugby Club travelled to Dungarvan, Co Waterford on Sunday last, hoping to improve on last weeks poor performance against Charleville. The game started nervously with a number of early handling errors form both teams. Killorglin?s scrum, having been dominated by Charleville last week showed vast improvement. Ten minutes into the game Dungarven scored a try from a piece of poor defending from Killorglin. Several tackled were missed on their big winger allowing him an easy score, making it 5-0 to the hosts. That, however, would be all Dungarvan would see on the scoreboard as Killorglin took over. Brian Gannon scored a super penalty from 40 metres, and soon after, scrum-half Dave Coffey saw a hole in the defense and broke from the back of a ruck, scorching towards the Dungarvan try-line and touching down in the corner. Again Brian Gannon slotted another long distance conversion from the right touchline to make the score 10-5, which is how it stood at half-time. The second half was all Killorglin?s. They scored two more tries, one for on form full-back Gannon and another from winger Jody Riordan. Killorglin will be disappointed to not get the 4-try bonus point as they missed a clear score in knocking the ball on with the last play of the game. All-in-all though, a good result, the final score: Dungarvan 5-20 Killorglin.
Killorglin Team:- 1 KJ Daly (c), 2 D Flynn, 3 J O?Sullivan, 4 C Conway, 5 C Stephens, 6 S Joy, 7 T Healy, 8 M Breen, 9 D Coffey, 10 T West, 11 D Curran, 12 A o?Reilly, 13 G Sheehan, 14 J Riordan, 15 B Gannon. Subs:- M Aherne for Breen, R Kelliher for Joy, R Curtayne for Curran.

Membership for Killorglin Rugby Club is still open. Killorglin RFC always welcomes new members, both playing and non-playing, to follow the ongoing development of the club as it has been promoted to Junior League 1 status this year. A full membership of the club costs ?30, a family membership costs ?50, and juvenile membership costs ?10.
Senior Team training takes place every Tuesday at 7pm and Friday at 7:30, at the Dragon?s Den All-weather pitch on Iveragh Road. New faces are always welcome and the club is happy to introduce new players to the game of rugby.
Training of Juvenile teams will takes place every Saturday at the Dragon?s Den. Killorglin RFC under 18 would welcome players who would like to take up the game of rugby, who train every Saturday at 1pm at The Dragon?s Den. Under12s, 13s, & 14s train at 11am and the Under 16s train at 1pm. All players are welcome to play. For information, contact Youth Officer John Costello on 0863558185.

Majella Ryan PRO

Clonmel Snatch The Booty From Pirates!

Cobh Pirates 0 Clonmel 21

In the darker recesses of our recent history, when this country exported people rather than products, Cobh was seen by many thousands of Irish emigrants as the gateway to a new life as they boarded ocean liners to ?Amerikay?. When Clonmel?s 1st XV look back on last Sunday, they will appreciate that they too have come through a gateway ? it?s full steam ahead, no going back to the old country now. Any team will know that it?s difficult to go to Cobh and survive ? to go there and deprive the home side of even a score is really a high-seas affront to the Pirates. There is a focus about this team now and a renewed confidence in their abilities which will support them in weeks to come. Hats off as well to the travelling Clonmel support who proved invaluable on the day.

Clonmel kicked off this Division 1 league match with a marginal wind and the incline. From the start this game achieved a high tempo with good skills on display from both sides. Cobh discovered over the first few minutes that they were up against a formidable visiting pack from whom they would get no change over the 80 minutes. The Clonmel pressure told after 10 minutes when Cobh infringed and Daniel Lyons, who again proved a rock for Clonmel, put a great kick between the posts in difficult conditions. 3 ? 0 to Clonmel. The game now swirled around midfield but it was evident that Clonmel were lording the lineouts, with captain John Long in great form being ably abetted by John Stokes and Philly Corby. Such was Clonmel?s dominance that it took the home side almost 30 minutes to cross the halfway line, when they then missed a good penalty chance, but having said that, this is a talented Cobh side and they at times showed glimpses of the dangers of their back unit. Clonmel had to drift smartly at times to cover their wings.

The niggling worry as the half moved on was that Clonmel were not converting superiority into scores. Some of this was due again to Clonmel?s persistence in complicated backs moves ? some of the manoeuvres would make Bertie?s bank transactions look simple! By contrast, Cobh put the ball quickly through hands and looked the more dangerous for it. But in truth this game was about the battle up front for good ball and here Clonmel were well ahead with the dynamic back-row of Melbourne, Crosse and Leahy being a huge irritant to Cobh. On 35 minutes, a great break down the blindside by scrumhalf John Long almost undid Cobh but they survived. From a deep dropout Cobh then had another kickable chance but again missed. Clonmel soon had the ball back in Cobh?s half and again the pressure told when Daniel Lyons kicked another big penalty to put Clonmel 6 ? 0 up at half-time. Would it be enough?

From the start of the second half Cobh signalled their intent to spin the ball wide at every opportunity and had Clonmel scrambling in defence. But the home side?s desperation to throw the ball around was their downfall. On 6 minutes Morgan Lyons intercepted a Cobh pass on the half-way line, made a half-break and then fed Trevor Melbourne. Most forwards in this situation would seek the traffic ? not Melbourne ? he took off on a determined run and held off several tackles to go under the posts. Lyons obliged to put Clonmel 13 ? 0 ahead. Cobh were stunned but redoubled their efforts to get into this match and the next 20 minutes were to be the defining stages of this game. Cobh pressure kept them in Clonmel?s half and also forced Clonmel to concede penalties. Cobh would now have been better served by kicking some points but elected instead to kick into the corner on four successive occasions with the intention of mauling over the line.

To Cobh?s dismay, Clonmel repelled them every time, thereby striking a huge blow and the home team?s body language indicated that they had accepted that they would not breach Clonmel?s defence. Clonmel eventually lifted the siege and brought on Paul McCarthy and Mike Sheehan for Brendan Mullan and Niall Mackey. On 25 minutes Clonmel hacked the ball up field and put enough pressure on to win another penalty which Daniel Lyons stroked over from out on the right to put Clonmel 16 ? 0 ahead. This was followed by a good break by Niall Grogan but his pass failed to find his scrumhalf with the line beckoning. Mark Normile had now replaced Corby and Clonmel were in the ascendancy. A Ronan Crosse-led drive brought them into the Cobh corner and a lineout was followed by a calm but intense maul that brought McCarthy over the line for the try. Lyons missed the convert to leave the visitors 21 ? 0 ahead.

The last show of defiance brought Cobh down Clonmel?s right and they managed to cross the line only to have it disallowed by the referee. It was not to be their day. Despite playing against the incline and the wind, Clonmel decisively won the second half to record an outstanding victory. A team is about a group with a singular mentality in pursuit of a common goal ? Clonmel are well on the way. Next Sunday sees a return to cup rugby when Clonmel face Kanturk at Fermoy RFC in the semi-final of the Munster Challenge Cup. We need big support there. One game at a time.

2nd XV

Clonmel suffered a 19-16 loss to Kilrush in the Gleeson league.

Upcoming fixtures:

Women’s Interpro finals, Galway, Saturday 27th October.
2nd XV Evan’s League, Kilfeacle vs. Clonmel, Sunday 28th October.
U20s SW Conference League, Newcastle West vs. Clonmel, Saturday 27th October.
U16s East Munster League, Clonmel vs. Kilfeacle, Sunday 28th October.

Clonmel U14?s v Galbally

Clonmel went into this game against Galbally away in the league, having been beaten the previous week by Cashel in their first game of the season. Another week’s training under their belt and getting the feel of the full pitch and all the space it can provide, this young team settled into the game early and had Galbally defending constantly. Clonmel got the ball wide to the wings where Adam O’Dwyer made a lot of yards with great running. This pressure led to Brian Condon scoring under the posts which Conor Tobin converted. This settled the team and after constant pressure Brendan Lalor powered over for a try. Clonmel, playing some lovely open rugby and changing the point of attack, soon scored another well-worked try, touched down by Brendan Lalor and a great conversion by Conor Tobin, which left Clonmel 19-0 at half time. From the re-start, Darragh Foley tackled the receiver and took the ball and set up a maul that allowed Conal Guilfoyle to dive over. The forwards were in control and fed the backs who now spun the ball left and right and Galbally’s defence couldn’t cope as Sean Twomey touched down for Clonmel’s fifth try. Soon after, Brian Condon made a lovely break and any of four support players could have touched down such was the back-up and eagerness to get their hands on the ball. Brian went all the way to leave the game 36-0 to Clonmel at full time. Overall a very good performance with good solid defence all across the field and some lovely open rugby played. Well done to this young team: Chris Brown, Neil Butler, Sean Twomey, Brian Condon, Adam O’Dwyer, Sean O’Donoghue, Conor Tobin, Dylan Guidera, Darragh Foley, Luke Fenlon, Paudge Keating, Dave O’Callaghan, Darren Hoyne, Adam Quinlivan, Conor Tobin, Adrian Conway, Brendan Lalor, Conal Guilfoyle.

UL Bohemian RFC
Denis Ryan PRO

What must we do to beat Cork Con as once again the bare minimum separated the sides in this thrilling Munster Senior Cup tie which saw the visitors to Annacotty just come out on top by 21-20. Following early pressure UL Bohs opened the scoring with a penalty scored by Aiden McNulty after 8 minutes. However the trend of the game turned completely when in a 10 minute spell Cork Con scored 3 converted tries. This was due in large part to careless UL Bohs play. However, when they woke up, the response by UL Bohs was excellent and on 30 minutes Martin McPhail scored an unconverted try. This was followed 5 minutes later by a Tom O Donnell try under the post converted by Aiden McNulty to leave the score at half time UL Bohs 15 -Cork Con 21. UL Bohs continued their offensive in the second half and in the 55th minute a great run by Barry Murphy ended with Coleman Finn scoring an unconverted try to leave 1 point between the sides. UL Bohs continued their offensive but failed to score again as Con came more into the game to leave the final score UL Bohs 20-Cork Constitution 21.

In the Munster Seconds League UL Bohs secured a comfortable win by 21-7 over Highfield. Harry De Stacpoole opened the scoring for UL Bohs with a penalty before Highfield replied with a converted try. Harry De Stacpoole kicked two more penalties to give a half time score UL Bohs 9-Highfield 7. In the second half UL Bohs touched down for two more tries scored by Finbar Dennehy and Giles Boland with Harry De Stacpoole adding a conversion.

In the Under 20 AIL, Garryowen and UL Bohs met in a hard fought game before the visitors to Dooradoyle got home by 27-12. UL Bohs scored tries by Giles Boland (2), and Kevin Bracken. Harry De Stacpoole kicked 2 penalties and Myles Riordan kicked 2 great long range ones.

Garryowen and Ennis U-9s came to Annacotty for the blitz, with each club fielding two sides which made for an action packed morning. Read the full report on www.ulbohs.com.

Mixed Bag for Clon
With no game for the seniors it would have been expected that the Extra-Firsts would have fielded at full strength and that this in turn would have impacted on The Bulldogs positively. In the end both sides, still seeking to field settled sides, suffered defeats. However, there was good news from the Under 20’s in their first outing and also the under 14s but not so good from the 18s. The Under 20s had difficulty in fielding a team last Saturday with eight squad players unavailable mainly due to injury but they eventually fielded with the bare 15 players. Dolphin, who had enough players on the day to field two teams, started brightly and led eight nil at half time. Early in the second half a Clon player was sin binned and the team rallied to compensate for the loss. Ciaran Calnan reduced the deficit with a penalty. A yellow card for a Dolphin player helped create some space and the Clon pack carrried the ball into the Dolphin 22. The ball was quickly released and Eugene McCarthy showed his class and rugby ability by racing past a number of defenders to touch down under the posts. The conversion from Calnan put Clon into the lead and the same player added a penalty soon after to finish the scoring. Dolphin attacked the Clon line for the remainder of the game but resolute defending ensured a fine victory. The work rate of the Clon pack during the game was noteworthy with significant performances by Cian Clancy, Patrick Skillicorn, Ger McCarthy, Michael Griffin and Sam Duignan. The leadership of the experienced players, captain Stephen Lowney, Hugh O’Neill and Sean Young was crucial to the victory while the half back combination of Eric Murphy and Ciaran Calnan was dominant throughout. Eugene McCarthy combined well with Peter Walsh in the centre and fullback James Deasy plus the wingers James O’Driscoll and Gearoid Calnan defended well and attacked in style. Training every Friday at 7.30pm under Coach Allan Rutherford and new players are very welcome to join this small squad.
The Under 18s will be very disappointed with their performance and indeed the result of their league game against Ballincollig. The Cork side emerged victorious by 12 points to 9. The under 14s on the other hand will be delighted with their comprehensive win over neighbours Skibbereen by 72 points to 17.
The Extra-Firsts had to travel to Musgrave Park disappointed with the knowledge that they were travelling under strength. It was not the best way to prepare for any game but to their credit they set about the task with determination and were rewarded with a try from Eric Murphy. This lead was held until just before half time when a lapse in concentration let “The Well” in for a soft try which was converted to give them the lead at the break. In an evenly contested second half, the use of fresh players for the home side proved to be the difference and they scored a penalty and a hotly disputed tries. Clon had chances too but the fact that they had only the bare fifteen and could not bring on fresh legs was a major reason that they lost a game they could have won at full strength. The Duignan brothers were outstanding in the lineout and indeed the entire pack was well up to the task. It was heartening to see Felim O’Neill back in action and at full strength, if that can ever be achieved, this side will improve. The team was; Felim O’Neill, Cathal Kirby, Shay O’Donovan, John O’Donnell, Sean Beamish, Matt Kirby, Eric Murphy, Eoin Murphy, Hugh O’Neill, Peter Stoutt, Sean Duignan, Sam Duignan, Colin Barrett, Jonas Harte and Michael Peter O’Regan (Capt),
The Bulldogs were reminded of their step up in the league this year getting a rare mauling at the hands of Bantry Bay by 46-17. As Bantry man and ex Clon publican, Conor Mulcahy, put it “an Alan Rutherford coached and clothed Bantry team was always going to be a daunting task.” Clon had been out played in the early stages and when they did get some possession a strong defence held them out. Clon seemed to start this game twenty minutes after Bantry who scored three tries and a penalty to leave it 22 nil after 20 mins. Poor tackling and general chaos in the pack made the first quarter an easy one for Bantry. The visitors settled for a Colin Bennett penalty to reduce the gap when the pressure failed to breach the defence. The home club took control for the remainder of the first period and ran up a total of 41 points to a mere three, before half time gave Clon some time to reassess the situation. It was very heartening for their travelling supporters that the Bulldogs did not lie down. With the game lost they set about restoring some pride. Scoring trys and winning the second half was the goal and this they did showing great character. Emmett McCarthy was outstanding at scrum half and his experience showed time and time again with perfectly timed tackles that put Bantry on the back foot. Ciaran Murphy, Alan Harte, Gavin Moore and Capt Danny Collins epitomised the spirit. Cian Clancy scoring the first try started the revival. Normally a flanker Clancy slotted in at centre and with his first touch cut through the defence for the try. Colin Bennett converted. John Kingston scored an excellent try with great determination handing off the defender to go in at the corner. Both trys were the culmination of good back movements and were converted by Colin Bennett with the touchline kick particularly impressive. There was no denying the superiority of the Bantry side and the coaching of Alan Rutherford was very obvious. Their pack was far too quick and well drilled at the breakdown for the visitors and it will take a very good side to stop them winning this league.
The Clon squad was: Christy O’Sullivan, John Kingston, Rob O’Keeffe, Colin Bennett, Mike Buckley, Alan Harte, Emmett McCarthy, Mike Griffin, James Kingston, Alan Pettitt, Bartle Murphy, Danny Collins (Capt), Tim Walsh, Ciaran Murphy, Gavin Moore, Brian McCarthy, Cian Clancy, Mel Long, Roy Maguire and Alfie Harte (Snr).
Bantry: Seamie Crowley, Pat Mcarthy, Alan Mccarthy, David Keohane, Vincent O Shea, James Corcey, Fintan Collins©, Coleman Keohane, Mike Delaney, Curtiss Mccraw, Jimmy Griffin, John Hennessey, Rory Hennessey, JJ O Sullivan and Brian Keohane.
This weekend’s fixtures: Saturday 27th
Under 16s League V Highfield in Cork at 11.00pm
Under 18s League V Cork Constitution in Cork at 12.00pm
Under 20s League V Old Christians in Cork at 2.30pm
Seniors AIB League V Buccaneers in Athlone at 2.30pm
Andrew McNamara PRO
Those that missed last Saturday’s senior cup quarter final with Garryowen missed out on an exciting and entertaining cup tie it was a typical local derby with very little between the two sides. Both teams contributed handsomely to the entertainment factor and while it may well have been cup rugby, but both sides showed a willingness to play stylish rugby. The advantage swung like a pendulum throughout after Andrew Finn opened the scoring with a try. Andrew Thompson’s 14 point haul was a big factor in the result which was in doubt right up to the final whistle. Even when Pat O’Connor slotted over a drop goal deep in injury time to extend the lead to six points, the nerves were still jangling. Such is Garryowen’s strength and ability; we couldn’t rest easy until the final whistle blew after over nine minutes of injury time.
I don’t think Garryowen will feel hard done by, we did deserve our win, but with one eye on next weeks AIB league clash, it’s a victory that won’t swell the heads of the lads. Indeed, it will refocus their minds as they are only to well aware that a fine team like Garryowen will be out to avenge this particular victory. There’s no doubting that the AIB league is the ultimate goal, but our pedigree in the senor cup over the last ten years or so ensures that it’s a competition we are still hungry for. Cork Con are our semi final opponents which takes place in Limerick on November 24th, but before that there’s plenty of AIB Rugby between now and then. Our first port of call is to Anglesea Road this Saturday, for the first time since 1998, when we take on Old Belvedere. Newly promoted, the Dublin side have serious ambitions to maintain their status and a difficult task awaits the lads. A supporters coach is gong to the game leaving Thomond Park at 10pm Saturday morning.
The U/20’s opened their All Ireland League campaign with a big win over Thomond in Coonagh last Saturday. Although the 41-10 final score may indicate a one sided affair, it was far from it, especially in the first half. It was a sluggish enough start and Thomond were full value for their 10 -5 lead as the first half drew to a close. Dave Barry responded to a Thomond penalty with a charge down try, but The Soda cakes scored a well deserved converted try. It wasn’t until the final few minutes of the half that the lads began to play to their strengths and when they did, they were rewarded with an excellent try when Cian Desmond crossed for the first of his two. The pace of the second half increased considerably and Thomond began to find the going tough. Stephen O’Dwyer’s try got us ahead on the scoreboard and Mike Kinsllea’s drop goal increased that lead to 10 points. A further three tries were scored before the end and with a bonus point system in place in the league, all points secured are vital. The campaign is long with plenty of stiff challenges ahead, but to get off to a start like we have is fantastic. This Saturday we have another home tie against Corinthians with a 2.30 start
Against the same opposition, this time in Woodview the seconds were made to work really hard for their 18-12 win in the league. They were forced to come from behind against a dogged and determined Thomond side that lead 12-6 at the break after scoring two tries to our two Joey Moran penalties. It wasn’t a case of the lads playing particularly badly but Thomond were playing to their strengths and allied to a couple of unforced errors , it meant that they were dictating the pace in the first half. The second half response from our lads was however much more cohesive and purposeful. A wonderful try from Joey Moran under the posts gave us a one point lead and although much more comfortable we didn’t extend the lead for a while. Mark Tuohy’s strong and incisive running brought the second try and ensured the second win in as many games for the lads.
No game for the seconds this week.
The thirds were given a walkover last weekend, but return to action this Saturday when they are at home to Young Munster in the Gleeson league at 12.30.
Our U/18’s continue their unbeaten run in the league when they comfortably beat Old Crescent by 24-5. All the work was impressively carried out in the first half with Andrew Graham, Neil Mc Donagh and Adrian Henegar all crossing the try line. The lads eased off somewhat in the second half and allowed Old Crescent into the game, but really they were in a comfort zone throughout despite not scoring any more. The U/18’s play a highly entertaining brand of rugby and are a joy to watch when they’re in full flow and with only a drawn point dropped so far their progress in the league has been quite satisfying for the coaches. One of our U/18’s Luke O’Dea has a big weekend ahead of him when he heads to Dublin for an Irish youths Trial. A highly talented player, Luke will no doubt impress and hopefully he will become our first Youth International for some time.
Its three out of three for the Under 13’s following their 24-12 victory over Old Crescent at Rosbrien. Hooker and Man of the Match Tim Sheehan got our first try after seven minutes, but we had to wait until the second half before Kevin Dillon and Robbie Deegan added to the tally. Quick thinking by scrum half Diarmuid Reidy ensured victory when his perfectly timed pass to the onrushing Conor Glynn who made no mistake for the fourth try. Ronan McKenna added two conversions. Captain for the match was Conor Burns.This Sunday they face Thomond in Woodview while our only other game sees the U/15’s host Newcastlewest.

Ballincollig RFC

Pat Rickard PRO
A disappointing week on the playing field with only one of our adult teams winning.
The 1st XV traveled to Cork on Saturday to play Sunday’s Well in the quarter final of the ODM Munster Senior Cup. This was the typical game of two halves with the first half performance riddled with indiscipline and unforced errors. However in the 2nd half it was like a different team took the field and we got ourselves back into contention and played the better rugby but it was not enough as our missed opportunities came back to haunt us as we were defeated by 20 points to 17 with 3 tries from Alan Purcell, Brian Begley and Gareth James, one of which was converted. The focus now shifts to the All Ireland League and we commence our programme on Saturday next with a trip to Cork to play Highfield. We ask as many members as possible to make the journey on Saturday to support the team and kick off is at 2.30pm at Model Farm Road.
The 2nd XV travelled to Cork on Sunday to play Dolphin in the Munster Senior Seconds League and this injury ravaged side were defeated by the Leesiders.
The 3rd XV made the short trip to Corbally to play St. Mary’s in the Gleeson League. It is good to see St. Mary’s return to this competition after a absence of a couple of seasons. Our hosts took the lead early on with a unconverted try but this motivated our side to improve their performance and ran out winners by 37 points to 5. Pick of the tries was a short range drive to the line by Bernard Quinn and a 40 metre run by Barry Moloney. They now enter a break from the Gleeson League still in contention for qualification for the knockout stages of the competition.
The under 20s continued their AIL campaign with a trip to Nenagh Ormond on Saturday and were defeated 26 points to nil by a much stronger Nenagh outfit. This weekend they play Richmond in the same competition on Saturday on 2.30pm at the Canal Bank.
On the under age front, the under 13 put in a brave performance on Sunday going down by 24 points to 12 to a very strong Shannon side and the under 12s travelled to Scarriff with 3 teams to play in a blitz with Garryowen and a Scarriff/Ballina Killaloe selection. It was great to see so many striped shirts on the field and all of our teams put in excellent performances.
The club held a very successful media launch for its upcoming Fashion Show on Monday night last. The Fashion Show will take place on November 15th at 8pm in the South Court Hotel and tickets are available from any of the committee. Our most recent Car Draw also took place on Monday night and the winner was Lisa Quin. The next draw will take place at the Fashion Show.
Finally this week a reminder that the reconvened AGM will take place at the club on Monday November 5th at 8pm.

All Ireland League Division Two South
Youghal 5 Ballincollig 25
Ballincollig women traveled to Youghal in the third round of the league with confidence high having won both their opening fixtures. However in an early morning kick off the ‘Collig found it hard to impose themselves on the scoreboard despite having the majority of early possession and territory.
In windy conditions the team initially kept the ball tight with some good forward play. Ballincollig made it harder on themselves by making some basic handling errors. With time the team settled and started to mix up their play by flashing the ball wide out the backs. After some productive pick and goes from the pack the first try of the game was scored from close range by open side flanker Siobhan O’ Leary. With the pack operating well in the set plays and the loose, the backs became more involved and some good vision from out half Lillian Whooley allowed the team to attack the blind side off a scrum and debutant Kate O’ Brien ran in strongly, with some support from Whooley, to go over for Ballincollig’s second try. With continued possession and territory Ballincollig kept knocking on the door but the game remained close and at the change of ends the game was 10-0 to the visitors.
Some strong words from coaches Donal O’ Driscoll and Theresa Nolan encouraged the team to keep their discipline, up the defense and continue working hard around the field. In the second half hooker Trish Drinan mixed the line out play with both O’ Leary and Ciara Prendergast jumping well. Inside centre Anne-Marie Kelly and full back Karen Fitzpatrick started to make some incisive runs, breaking tackles and gaining good yardage. Kelly was unlucky after a break from the half way line was smothered just metres short of the try line. With the wind at her back, out half Whooley attempted to pin Youghal into their own half with a good kicking display to the corners. Unluckily O Leary had to leave the field after sustaining a knee injury. O’ Leary, who is enjoying a fine start to the season, was a huge loss. Geraldine Gallahue came on the make her league debut and not soon afterwards scored from close range after a good pick from the base of the scrum by very experienced number eight Anna Healy. Francis Whooley and Denise Jennings worked hard with Drinan in the front row to impose themselves on Youghal at scrum time. It was disappointing to lose this advantage after both of Youghal’s front row replacements were injured and the ref had no chose but to call uncontested scrums. The ever improving Joanne Browne and blind side flanker Fiona Murphy continued to ruck well and drive on in the loose. Both of these players are enjoying a very good return to Ballincollig ladies after taking some time out over the last couple of years.
Ballincollig could smell the bonus point and with Youghal defending on their five metre line, scrum half Dely Stevenson pressurised the Youghal out half’s clearance kick, blocking it down in the end goal area and grounding the ball to score the fourth try of the game. After a knock to her ankle Fiona Murphy was replaced by Marguerite Murphy, who was also making her league debut. Youghal started to gain more possession and repeatedly used their backs to pass wide, stretching the visitor’s defense. Ballincollig defended frantically, and O Brien tackled like a seasoned pro, putting in some hard hits. As Ballincollig tired, the team left some gaps out wide which were punished eventually with a try for Youghal after a well worked running back line move from within their own half. Audrey Mc Sweeney replaced prop Francis Whooley, who had another strong game. Some poor discipline from Youghal allowed Ballincollig to regain some territory and after several phases of play wing Barbara Whooley ran in confidently to score the games sixth try after Fitzpatrick spotted an opening on the blind side, calling the ball off Stevenson, drawing the tackler and popping off well Whooley to make the score 25-5. The back line continued to tackle hard in the closing minutes with another consistent performance from Clon girl Claire McCarthy. Another league debutant, Melanie Champertault replaced Barbara Whooley and put in a fine tackle despite only being a newcomer to ladies rugby.
After the game O’ Driscoll was pleased Ballincollig had secured a bonus point victory but admitted he and Nolan still had a lot to work on. Congratulations must go to Kate O’ Brien, Marguerite Murphy, Geraldine Gallahue and Melanie Champertault who all played well on their league debuts. Best wishes go to O’ Leary on Linda Kennedy in their Dublin City Marathon Endeavour on the Bank Holiday Monday. The team also wishes speedy recoveries to much missed Gemma Crowley and new player Rachel Wood who are working hard to come back from injury.
Ballincollig: 1. Francis Whooley 2. Trish Drinan 3. Denise Jennings 4. Joanne Browne 5. Ciara Prendergast 6. Fiona Murphy 7. Siobhan O’ Leary 8. Anna Healy 9. Dely Stevenson (C) 10. Lillian Whooley 11. Kate O’ Brien 12. Anne- Marie Kelly 13. Claire McCarthy 14. Barbara Whooley 15. Karen Fitzpatrick.
Replacements: 16. Marguerite Murphy for Fiona Murphy 17. Audrey McSweeney for Francis Whooley 18. Geraldine Gallahue for Siobhan O’ Leary and 19. Melanie Champertault for Barbara Whooley

DFP – Right Column – HalfPage


DFP – Right Column – MPU

Related News

Musgrave Park will host the Ireland Women’s team again next year with the 2023 6 Nations home games against France and England taking place in...