MAR Now Recruiting County Referees
11th May 2023 By The Editor
The Munster Association of Referees (MAR) have introduced a new category of refereeing into the organisation known as ‘County Referees’.
County Referees will be members of the Munster Association of Referees but will only referee within their own county.
- County referees will first need to complete the online IRFU Affiliate Referee course;
- They will also attend and complete a New Referee Course training course provided by the MAR in August 2023;
- County referees will be required to attend referee workshops throughout the year which will be held in their locality and delivered by the MAR;
- County Referees will be appointed to referee J2 Men’s, Munster Women’s League, age-grade club and schools fixtures;
- County Referees will only referee within their own county unless they choose to become an MAR Referee which will make them available for matches throughout the province;
- County Referees will be provided with all equipment required to officiate in matches, including MAR jersey/kit;
- County Referees will be mentored and evaluated by qualified MAR evaluators;
- County Referees will be promoted to full membership of the MAR by the MAR Rugby Committee once they have completed a satisfactory mentoring report;
- All County Referees will enjoy the same privileges of full members of the MAR i.e. expenses, access to tickets and kit.
Speaking further on the inception of the County Referee program, Munster Association of Referees President, MK Clancy commented:
“The MAR has a proud tradition of recruiting, training and educating Rugby Referees within Munster, and we see the County Referee program as an opportunity for volunteers to stay involved in Rugby within their County. Referees play a vital role in maintaining the ethics of fair play and sportsmanship within Rugby, and also to ensure a fast and flowing game for players, coaches and spectators.
“All levels of Rugby experience from novice to long time player/coach are catered for with the MAR, and we look forward to training and educating out first batch of County Referees within Munster for the betterment of the Rugby experience for all.”
For more information on becoming a County Referee, please contact Referee Development Manager for Munster, Olly Hodges, at firstname.lastname@example.org