Getting To Know: Nicole Cronin
2nd August 2017 By The Editor
In our ongoing Getting To Know series, we’ve been looking at all of the Munster representatives in this year’s Irish Women’s Rugby World Cup squad, as they host the tournament for the very first time.
This Irish side have a nice balance of youth and experience, and despite losing captain Niamh Briggs on Monday, will still be hoping to pull together and make it a special tournament for the Irish. For some players it’s their last crack at a World Cup, but for uncapped Nicole Cronin, it marks a significant show of faith from the Irish coach.
The Limerick native, who came in from a soccer background, having represented her country already at U17 level in the sport, having played with local side Aisling Annacotty, began her international rugby career at sevens level.
The pint-sized scrum-half, standing at just 5’1”, got off to a blistering start, named the inaugural Women’s Sevens Player of the Year in 2014, and following her success with that squad was drafted into this year’s Six Nations squad, giving her preparation at the larger form of the game ahead of the World Cup.
The former Richmond player progressed to Shannon, and has won several domestic accolades with UL Boheiams. The number 9 is related to Sean Cronin, and having been the latest in the family to be selected for an Irish Rugby World Cup squad, the 25-year-old will certainly be looking to push on and perhaps play a role in this year’s tournament, and has already received high-praise from Briggs.
“Nicole is a super player. She offers us a huge amount of experience.” Briggs said on the squad’s announcement. “She was on a soccer scholarship in America, then she came back and played Sevens with Ireland. She excelled there, got a clean bit of health and since then she came into our squad. She’s been a huge addition both on and off the field.
“She’s a very good personality to have around. She’s quick, a very good footballer, and it just adds another feather to our bow. She’ll definitely be pushing for a starting spot. Being uncapped is more down to logistics than anything else, she’s a super player.” she added.
- Name: Nicole Cronin
- Date Of Birth: 20th August 1992
- Club: UL Bohemians
- Munster Caps:U19
- Ireland Caps: 0
- Profession: Administrator
- Favourite Food:Rasher Sambo
- Book You Are Currently Reading Or Have Just Finished:Knowing The Score Judy Murray
- Favourite TV Programme: Friday Night Lights/Suits
- Favourite Film: Forest Gump
- Favourite Actor/Actress: Denzil Washington/Julia Roberts
- Most Enjoyable Holiday Location:New York
- Marooned On A Desert Island What Could You Not Be Without: My Dog
- Favourite Sport Other Than Rugby: Soccer
- The Sport You Least Like: Lover Of All
- Person You Would Most Like To Meet: Tom Hanks
- Sportsperson You Admire Most: Ronan O’Gara
- Hobbies: All Sports, Socialising & A Little Reading
- Where And When Did You First Play Rugby:Garryowen Green, Richmond
- Best Career Advice You Were Given:Don’t let injury decide what happens next, you do!
- Best Advice You Would Give Yourself: Not to be so hard on yourself
- What You Like Most/Least About Being A Rugby Player: Absolutely love the hard work it requires to be a rugby player. Least Like? Injury
- What You’re Looking Forward To Most About A Home World Cup: Playing in front of family and friends will be special
- Other Sports That You Played: Soccer
- Best Rugby Memory: First 7’s Cap/Getting a yellow card at U11’s with Richmond for a high tackle. I’m 2 foot-nothing and he was easily 6ft! *Laughs*
- Rugby Team You Admire Most: Munster
- Sporting Event You Would Most Like To Attend:MLB All Star Game
- How Would You Like To Pass Away The Time On Tour In Between Training: Causing a little bit of havoc!