DFP Header Area

Share this MunsterRugby.ie page

Club News Weekending November 4th November 2007

1st November 2007 By Munster Rugby

Check out the latest news and reviews from clubs around the province

Maria O’Mahony PRO

Crosshaven v Kinsale
MJCC Semi-Final 28/10/2007

Tanner Park, Ballincollig.

This match was expected to be a tough encounter for Kinsale, playing the Division 1 Champions from Crosshaven, and so it proved to be. The first quarter was inconclusive, though Crosser were surprised by the strength of the Kinsale scrum and indeed were pushed off the ball twice. As a counter, Crosshaven were more economic with their line out efforts and achieved clean ball to set up mauls and their outhalf Delaney played the lines well. In turn, Kinsale set up several phases and attempted to run the ball in variation through 10 – 12 channel or out wide. Kinsale also successfully set up a maul in the 17th minute, leading to an advancing ruck – Crosshaven were deemed to be offside. Frazer Hodgson, at 10, struck it sweetly through the posts. Kinsale had opened their account.

Crosshaven upped their game in response and Delaney grubbed kicked the ball inside the 22 – Kinsale did not manage to clear it. Several phases ensued with Crosser’s pack driving to the line. They flung the ball out wide but a last forward pass undid their efforts. Crosshaven, a few minutes later, broke from a scrum and drove to the line – scrumhalf Spillane got the try with Delaney converting. Kinsale, replied, quickly and drove up the field again and again, to be awarded with a penalty on the cusp of half-time. Alas, this time, the ball drifted to the right. The half – time score Kinsale 3 – Crosshaven 7 was delicately poised.

The second half started brightly, but Ross O’Connell, Crosshaven’s full back, broke through midfield tackles and opened their account after the turnaround. Delaney converted. 14 – 3 to Crosshaven. Kinsale were chasing the game a little but never gave up. Their defence was resolute. Eventually, in the last quarter, Crosshaven’s pressure told; Ironically, a misjudged pass, ending a good counter attack by Kinsale, led to their right wing, Pat O’Brien racing to the line; 7 minutes later second row Martin Buckley scored from the continued phases of pressure. Delaney converted the latter. South Seas prop Jake Grey scored an opportunistic try at the last. Kinsale held their shape well throughout till the final quarter, but did not have the cutting edge to match Crosshaven. Team captain, John O’Sullivan, led by example throughout, whilst Shane O’Regan, Tadgh Wright, Pat O’Regan in the forwards worked well in the phases. Colm McCarthy, cleaned a lot of ball in the back whilst Frazer Hodgson’s efforts, particularly his kicking helped Kinsale to stay in the reckoning for much of the game. Kinsale will have learnt much from this encounter. No doubt this will be put in practice on the training paddock for Cup fixtures from next January; but meantime will focus on the ‘bread and butter’ of the league with a home fixture next Sunday 2.30 k.o. against Galbally to maintain their 100% record. Kinsale’s 2nd XV will travel to Listowel with a view to maintain their strong away form, whilst the day before Kinsale’s U-18’s will host Youghal on Saturday morning.

Also, a new and important chapter began last week, with the launch of Womens Rugby at Kinsale RFC. At an open meeting, chaired by Ronan Kett, Fixtures Secretary, 17 new players signed up with another 6 players joining up on the first training session. Initially, the development of the players and the team will be the priority with skill sessions to take place later. Head Coach, Danny O’Connell, together, with expert assistance from Danielle Kiely, ex Munster, and Jacqui O’Connell, have set out a programme with organised training on Monday evenings 7.30 pm. Gemma Crowley, Womens Development Officer, IRFU Munster, gave practical encouragement for the new team and commended Kinsale RFC for their enthusiasm and active support. Both Eoin O’Callaghan, President and Gordon Sullivan, Director of Rugby, on behalf of Kinsale RFC, also gave strong support to the new team. Barbara Darmody, Hon. Secretary assisted with the player registration. Siobhan O’Donovan, ex Irish international with her husband Matt Jevon also attended. John O’Sullivan, Head Coach, Irish International XV has also conveyed his good wishes for Kinsale Womens’ Rugby.

Further information on Kinsale Women’s Rugby: please contact Danny O’Connell 087-6534987.

Val Byrnes PRO

St.Senan’s U 15’s in North Munster Playoff
St.Senan’s 19 – 12 Richmond
Another successful weekend for the St. Senan’s Under 15’s. Final score 19-12 to Senan’s. After Richmond scored 7 points from the kick off Senans rallied and following some great play from the forwards Arthur Lynch scored a try with the help of the pack out wide to get Senan’s their first score of the game, dually converted by Daragh Stafford to leave the teams equal at 7-7. Senans went ahead with an intercept try by winger Darragh Ring taken from his own 22 also converted by Daragh Stafford. Richmond Scored a try just before the break to leave it 14-12 at half time. With heavy rain and a greasy ball there were a lot of handling errors and scrappy play from the re-start but after some sustained forward pressure second row for Senan’s Eamonn Martin broke to score out wide to leave it out of reach of Richmond. Final score 19-12 and a place in the playoff’s against Ennis at home on Sun.Nov.4that 11.30am. All support is highly appreciated.

Other News
Senan’s Junior 1 and Senan’s Junior 2 teams both had a much deserved weekend off last weekend, but are both back in action this weekend in the Gleeson and Heineken Munster Junior Leagues. Senan’s 2nd Team are away to Richmond on Sat 3rd Nov.and kickoff there is at 2.30pm. Senan’s 1st Team are at home to Muskerry on Sun 4th Nov and kickoff there is also at 2.30pm. Again all support is very welcome.

Club Lotto
Jackpot €7600
No Winner
5, 9, 15, 17
Lucky Dip
Cornelius O Connell
James O Sullivan
John Murphy
Maggie Webb
Mike Hogan.

Pat Rickard PRO

A disappointing week on the playing fields.

Our 1st XV began their AIL programme for the 2007/8 season with a trip to Cork on Saturday to play Highfield. Our injury ravaged squad received a boost when Freddie Pucciariello was released by Munster to play his first game for the club. Playing against the elements in the first half our players put in a very committed performance and went into the interval trailing by 12 points to 3. However we never got the grips with the game in the second period and some unforced errors and indiscipline allow our hosts to take control of the game and despite a try from Mark Ryan in the second half which was converted by Gareth James, we were defeated by 22 points to 10. If our side can learn from this game and continue to give the commitment shown in this display then we can still have a positive conclusion to our season. This weekend we host Malone at Rosbrien on Saturday with a 2.30pm kickoff and we ask as many members as possible to attend to give support to our team.

The only other adult team in action last weekend were the under 20’s who played Richmond in the AIL. It is great that Richmond have returned to their home on the Canal Bank and we congratulate them on their achievement in rebuilding their clubhouse. They also took the points on offer for the fixture but the management of our side were pleased by a great improvement in the side performance from previous weeks. This weekend they travel once again to Nenagh with kick off at 2.30pm.

Our 2nds XV resume their league action with the visit on Midleton to Rosbrien on Sunday at 2.30pm and the 3rd XV travel to Bruff on Saturday at 2.30 for a friendly.

On the under age front, there was no training last weekend but a number of our groups were in action. The under 12’s participated in the James Keating tournament in Bruff and put in a creditable performance, topping their pool and were unlucky to lose their quarter final to Ennis. This weekend our under 13’s and under 16’s are away to Ul Bohs on Sunday at 11.30 and there is training for all other age groups as usual on Saunday morning.

Finally this week a reminder that our reconvened AGM & EGM will take place on Monday November 5th at 8pm in the clubhouse.

Loosehead PRO

Clon Rue Missed Opportunity

Buccaneers 8, Clonakilty 3

Although Clon travelled to Athlone under strength last Saturday it is doubtful that they will ever get the sort of opportunity that Buccaneers afforded them to take the points away from home again. The losing bonus point gained would probably have been acceptable before setting out given the fearsome reputation of the recent first division side and Clon’s weakened squad. However it was not through lack of possession or territory that lost the game but indiscipline and poor finishing. These are factors that will need to be addressed before the visit of Young Munster this weekend.

A Gary Cribb penalty gave Clon an early lead but a try and a penalty gave the Connacht men the four points and how they celebrated. Clon had always known that these opening two fixtures would be as tough as they come but they were worth more than a point in Athlone and hopefully they can put home advantage to good use against the Limerickmen. The under 16’s also went down to Highfield by 20 points to 5 but the mini rugby boys beat all around them in a blitz to salvage something from the weekend

This Weekend’s Fixtures

Under 14s V Ballincollig, League, The Vale 11.00am
Under 18s V Kanturk, League, The Vale 11.30am
Under 20s V Sunday’s Well, League, The Vale 2.00pm
Seniors V Young Munster, All Ireland League, The Vale 2.30pm

Bulldogs V Skbbereen, J2 League, The Vale 12.00pm
Extra-Firsts V Nenagh Ormond, Senior Seconds League, The Vale 2.30pm

Andrew McNamara PRO

AIB League
Old Belvedere 13 Shannon 15
Shannon start with hard fought win

If Shannon are to reclaim the AIB league for the ninth time, than their performances will need vast improvement from last Saturday’s when they scraped to a 15-13 win over newly promoted Old Belvedere. The last time Shannon played in Anglesea Road they romped home to a 70-20 victory, but Saturday’s result was a far cry from that day in 1998. Old Belvedere played as of they had a point to prove. They had an effective maul, a solid scrum and a set of backs that wouldn’t look out of place in a pack. It was if their statement of intent for the season was that they would not be the whipping boys of the first division. Shannon on the other hand played only in patches, but despite having scrum half Fiach O’Loughlin sin binned along with Belvedere’s Kevin Bardon for handbag stuff, it was their highly disciplined defence in final fifteen minutes which ensured their win. Old Belvedere’s outhalf Riche Murphy had a big boot and was well capable of knocking over a long range penalty, and with Shannon holding tightly to a slender 15-13 lead, it was imperative that they conceded no penalties. It really shouldn’t have been so close in the dying minutes. Had the referee or indeed his touch judges been in a viable position than they would have seen Shannon’s Fergal Walsh blatantly score a legitimate try, but as it was, Shannon relied on the goal kicking of Andrew Thompson for their victory. An early penalty miss by Riche Murphy was atoned for after 8 minutes which gave the home side the lead, but Thompson gained parity just 3 minutes later after an excellent break up the blind side from Fiach O’Loughlin. It was a game that never really flowed with continuity and that stop start nature seemed to suit Old Belvedere. Shannon took the lead on 28 minutes with another Thompson penalty, but home side were making inroads over Shannon’s gain line thanks mainly to their pack. Held up over the line on a couple of occasions, Old Belvedere eventually scored a well deserved try in the 34th minute when prop Brad Kose took a neat little pop pass five metres from the line. Murphy converted and few would disagree the Belvo deserved their 10-6 lead. It could however, just as easily been Shannon that lead at the break had Sean Cronin held a pass with the line in sight, but as it was, two penalty misses, one a piece gave a 10-6 lead to Old Belvedere. Shannon upped the tempo after the break and two penalties in quick succession from Andrew Thompson gave
them a two point lead. A little bit of Old Belvedere’s spark was dimmed as the second half progressed and they rarely threatened Shannon’s line. On the few occasions they went close, a good defensive wall from Shannon held firm. On one such attack their options seemed to run low and Riche Murphy took the correct decision and went for a drop goal. Successful it was, and the lead swung back to Old Belvedere. That was in the 57th minute and the result still hung very much in the balance. The defining score came when both sides were reduced to 14 men, when Thompson landed his fifth penalty. The sinbinnings had little effect on the game, but Shannon did have to re jig their back line. When O’Loughlin did return with three minutes of normal time remaining, which preceded a further five minutes of injury time, one of his first actions was to make a crunching and vital tackle as Old Belvedere were looking for a winner. And again it was the scrum half who forced the error from the home side in the last play to secure a reliving win for Shannon. An away win to begin the AIB league campaign is always a good start no matter what the opposition and the performance may be. Shannon may well be slightly disappointed in their performance, but they are well aware that they are capable of much better, and better they will certainty have to be next Saturday as they face Garryowen who won’t want to lose two successive games to Shannon .
D. O’Donovan, Pat O’Connor (S. Kelly), J. Clogan, A. Thompson, A. Finn, T. Bennett, F. O’Loughlin, G. McNamara, S. Cronin, K. Griffin (J. Cronin), F. Broderick, F. Walsh, N. Ronan (P. O’Connor), L. Mullane, D. Quinlan (Capt).


DFP – Right Column – HalfPage


DFP – Right Column – MPU

Related News

A new rugby initiative is seeking expressions of interest from people of all walks of life who may be interested in setting up an LGBTQ+...