DFP Header Area

Share this MunsterRugby.ie page

Club News Weekending 5th October 2008

29th September 2008 By Munster Rugby

Check out the latest news and reviews from around the province

Richard Leonard

1st XV: This encounter ended up a fair bit more one sided than originally thought. Bruff looked dominant from the off, although the pace of the game was hectic right from the get go. The Bruff pack were dominant throughout, the Lineouts came together perfectly, Scrums were awesome, driving from forwards was Excellent. 16 minutes in Máirtín O’ Rourke drove over for try number one, to which Davy Maw added the extras, Marty hurt his shoulder in the process and was replaced by Maurice O’Connell. This was followed four minutes later by John Moore. 12 points up and the game looked almost over from a Clonakilty point of view. Davy Maw missed a penalty on 25, this was then quickly followed by Peter Malone adding try number three on 30 mins, Davy added the extras . The only reply in the first half was a sole penalty from Clon No. 12 Derek Lombard on 37 mins. Bruff went in at half time 19-3 up, a bit of Handbags just before half time resulting in Captain Cathal O’Regan being binned for the first eight minutes of the second half. The second half started with a major push from both sides to get on top. An extremely fast paced first ten minutes finally resulted in Davy Maw kicking a penalty on 47 minutes and Brian Cahill going over for try number four on 50 minutes, again Davy Adding the extras. On 55 minutes, Clonakilty winger J. O’Donnell going over for their only try of the game, again the No. 12 adding the extras. That was the last of the scoring, the only element of note being the binning of Dermot Murnane on 77 minutes and Bruff ran out comfortable winners. Team: D. Horan, C. O’ Regan, L. Herlihy (R. S. Foster), A. Laffan (R M. O’ Donnell), D. Murnane, P.Malone, J. Shine, M. O’Rourke (R. M O’Connell), J. Lyons (R. E. Cahill) , D. Maw, J. Moore, B. Cahill, G. Leonard (R. A. Cashman), P. O’ Brien, B. Deady.
Please note that there are still a small number of spaces left on the supporters bus for next Saturday mornings trip up to Shaw’s Bridge. We are away to the north only twice this season so contact Mike O’ Connor or Lil Cahill straight away if you wish to travel.
J1 XV: The J1 Squad had a friendly away to Old Crescent and came out on top with a 17 points to 15 win.
J2 XV: The 3rd’s got their Gleeson League campaign off to the best possible start with a 12-nil victory over a travelling Ennis side on Sunday Morning in Bruff. Ritchie McAuliffe was the star of the show landing 4 penalties giving a kicking performance that even Mr. Contepomi or O’ Gara would have been proud of! Podge Cleary and Stevie O Kelly both from this year’s U20 squad also gave good accounts of themselves in what can only be described as a stop start game which produced no less than 4 yellow cards. Team: Seamus Sheahan, Ronan Deady, Tom Leahy, Podge Fogarty, John Dunworth, Steve O Kelly, Joe Power, Podge Cleary, Danny Slavin, Ritchie McAuliffe, Martin Hennessy, Eoin O Shea, Jp Herlihy, Noel McNamara, John O Sullivan. Subs Used: Bob Kiely, Steve O Shea, James McCarthy, Paul O Shea, Ger Donoghue
Next up for the thirds is Abbeyfeale away next Sunday.
Youth: U18 game Vs. NCW was Cancelled,
U15’s had a good win over UL Bohs, beating them by 29 points to 24,
U13’s beat Ennis with a massive 56 points to nil victory.
The club’s Magners league tickets for next weekend’s game against Glasgow Warriors have been sold out but we are informed that there are some still available through Ticketmaster for anyone who didn’t get theirs. Tickets are still available for the remaining fixtures.

Sat 4th Oct. AIB Lge. Instonians V. Bruff, Shaw’s Bridge, 2:30 p.m.
U20 NML, Garryowen V. Bruff, Dooradoyle, TBC.
Sun 5th Oct. J1 Nenagh V. Bruff, Nenagh, 1:30, (TBC)
J2 GL Abbeyfeale V. Bruff, Abbeyfeale, (TBC)
NML U13, Thomond V. Bruff, Fitzgerald Park, 11:00.

NML U15, Bruff V Ballina/Killaloe, 11:30, Kilballyowen.
NML U18 St. Senans V. Bruff, Shannon, 11:30
U11 Blitz, Bruff, Ennis, Abbeyfeale, Shannon, Kilballyowen, 10:30
Next meeting of the Executive committee takes place on Mon 6th Oct. at 8:00.

We’re only a few weeks away from what should be a huge Black Tie event when Lawrence Dallaglio comes to town on Friday 31st October. There has been a massive reaction to this event and we’re expecting a great crowd on the evening. Some of us are, however, falling into the old Irish habit – you know you’re coming but you haven’t made it official! This is a last warning – the attendance at this major event will be limited so get your name in to the office at 052-25723 on at office@clonmelrfc.com . We don’t want to hear any complaints afterwards that you couldn’t get a ticket.
It’s the time of year when we all plan our International and Heineken Cup outings. All members will have received correspondence on how to book tickets. There is a change this year in that those wishing to avail of tickets are being asked to pay up front when booking their tickets. This is because Munster are demanding payment for the full allotment of the season’s tickets up front. The club can no longer carry the burden of paying up front and then waiting for members to pay as they receive tickets throughout the season. We realise this is an inconvenience for people but there’s not much we can do about it. There is a limited quantity of season tickets for Thomond Park available at present but you need to react very quickly – contact Bill O’Gorman or Debbie at the office.
Our 1st XV got off to a good start with an away win against Kilfeacle in the Challenge Cup but then surprisingly were beaten on Sunday last in Limerick by Richmond. On Saturday night last our 2nd XV played Kilfeacle under lights in the Gleeson League while a sizeable crowd watched from the new stand. Clonmel came away with a hard-fought 22 – 19 victory. Our Womens’ XV start their campaign at home next Sunday at 1 p.m. It looks as if our first home league game will be on October 19th against Skibereen. We hope to have our 100 Club members with us on that day for a pre-match lunch.
We host two Schools Interprovincials on Wednesday 8th October when Munster take on Leinster at U-18 and U-19 level. Come up and see the stars of the future.
There will be a registration day for all under-age players and those wishing to take up rugby next Saturday 4th October at 1030. All those attending should be in possession of their forms and membership fee. We will have tea / coffee and biscuits in the clubhouse for all parents. Any kids hoping to be involved should be in attendance on this day as it makes the overall administration of the under-age section much easier.
The Officers and Members of the club extend heartfelt sympathies to the Ryan, Killian and Campbell families, all of whom have suffered recent bereavements. Our thoughts are with them at this time.
Now that Bill has risen to the exalted position of President he’ll have to lose the woolly headgear and wear the blazer to away Heineken Cup games! Right! Bill will no doubt make an outstanding contribution to the highest office in the club. He has been involved as a player and as Hon. Secretary for many years and of course is the man who handles the hot potato of match tickets. Bill has already made a long and lasting contribution to the club and we wish him well in his term of office.
Our club Lotto draw is running for many years now and is proving resilient in still being a major fundraiser for us. Draws take place every two weeks on a Friday night. Please support our draws by buying a (€2) ticket. You can also buy an annual ticket – contact Paul Garrett.
No winner of last weeks Lotto Jackpot. Winning numbers were 6, 8, 16, 24. Jackpot is now €4,200 on Friday 5th September.
If you would like to unsubscribe from this newsletter, please email office@clonmelrfc.com

Thomond RFC Notes weekending 3/10/08
Denis Ryan PRO

Last Saturday in glorious sunshine at Merrion Road, we won our first ever AIB Cup game against Wanderers on a scoreline of 27 – 9. In the last few years, away wins in any competition have been few and far between and this win gives a welcome boost ahead of a tough AIL Campaign. It was good to note also that the players weren’t getting too carried away afterwards. To the game itself, it was somewhat ominous for Wanderers before the match when the usually ultra pessimistic John Bromell declared "We will win today lads". There was no real flow to the game in the first 20 minutes and we found ourselves 6-0 behind after two Niall McNamara penalties. We then begin to settle into a pattern and we were well on top for the remainder of the half. We played fairly conservatively in this period and it was somewhat frustrating to see us pick and drive so often which usually led to a turnover or a penalty against us. However I have no coaching qualifications and no doubt this process was necessary to tire out the opposition defence. We went ahead 5mins before the break when Conan Lang turned over a ball inside the Wanderers 22, Declan Cusack made a half break and popped a lovely inside pass to Mark Cosgrave who touched down. The conversion was successful to make it 7-6. We continued to press and forced another penalty right on half time, however this was missed and immediately the hosts forced a penalty of their own to lead 9-7 at the break. Wanderers had played with the aid of the breeze in the opening half and hopes were high that we could turn it around after the break. Within 4 minutes of the restart we were ahead again, a Declan Cusack grubber caused havoc in the defence and when both the Wanderers full back and Warren Kelly missed it, Darragh O’Neill followed up to score the try. Another good conversion made it 14-9. The best was yet to come when we scored an early contender for try of the season. We forced a turnover in our own 22, the ball was shifted from Dean Mitchell to Declan Cusack, who chipped over the top, collected his own kick and then exchanged passes with Warren Kelly (ala Contepomi and Luke Fitzgerald) for a length of the field score. The conversion made it 21-9 and vitually game over. In fairness our defence was excellent for the last 20 minutes and we added 2 more penalties to make it a convincing 27-9 win and a 17 point haul for Declan Cusack. There were a number of good performances on the day, the scrum was solid, the lineout also worked well with Alan Airey and Declan O’Connell impressive, Conan Lang was excellent and had any number of turnovers. However, often in these situations it pays to go with an objective view and the thoughts of the Wanderers supporters were that Declan Cusack was easily the best player on the pitch. This Saturday we travel to Highfield in our first AIL game. We’ve lost our last two AIL games in Woodleigh in close game so hopefully we can start with a win. We wish our management team of Brian Buckley and Pat Cross the best of luck for the AIL season ahead.

On Sunday we travelled to Annacotty to play UL Bohs in the Transfield Cup Semi Final. On paper we had a good side but it didn’t quite work out that way on the pitch as we went down 18-3. There probably wasn’t that much between the sides but the home side were more clinical. We trailed 8-0 after about 20 minutes and then proceeded to miss numerous penalty and try scoring chances which would have put us back in the game. We were made to rue those missed chances when eventually Bohs came down and scored 2 more tries in the last 10 minutes, the first after a penalty had rebounded off a post. At the end it was disappointment but I would thought plenty of hope for the season ahead. We have the nucleus of a very good squad and with a bit more training and cohesion we could do good things at this grade this season. On the day Darren Clancy, Cian Coady and Jeffrey O’Donoghue impressed most.

The Thirds team keep off their Gleeson League campaign away to UL Bohs in Annacotty on Saturday at 2:30pm. The squad is only starting to find its feet this season but hopefully now that the numbers are training are starting to increase we can start off with a win.

U14 challenge V Corinthians in Galway:
These two teams first locked horns on St Stephens day last year in arctic conditions in Fitzgerald park on that occasion Corinthians came out on top following a fantastic game on a score line of 17 – 15 so our boys had a score to settle and they did not disappoint. This was the first outing of the season for both these teams but neutrals would have thought it was a cup final. The first 20 minutes was completely dominated by Thomond and they scored two cracking tries both coming from Wayne O Donnell. Towards the end of the half following constant pressure by Corinthians and some excellent defending by our lads we finally succumbed and went in at the half time whistle 10 – 5 in front. The second half was played at a ferocious pace with both sides attacking and defending as if their lives depended on it. With 10 minutes to go Thomond got the score they richly deserved following great pressure by Corinthians in our half, Gareth Airey robbed a great ball and passed to Dion O Donnell then following some great work by our forwards the ball went right across our back line with Dillon Kelly eventually going over in the corner and John Sheehan converting from the sideline. We were camped on our line for the remainder of the game but there was no getting through this time with Dillon Kelly giving a lesson on defending with tackle after tackle so we held out for a well deserved win by 17 – 5. This was a great team performance controlled by captain and man of the match John Sheehan excelling at out-half with our two new signings Shane Airey and Ryan Moore having excellent début’s. And also a hearty welcome to new forwards coach Andy Crowe. Many thanks to Corinthians who were fantastic hosts and made it a day to remember for all of us.

Under 12 Blitz Annacotty: The first game saw our boys take on a much bigger Shannon side but as has happened so many times in the past size meant nothing and our boys were very unlucky not to have taken the spoils in this one as a matter of fact only for a few dubious decisions by the Shannon ref we would have had a share of the spoils at the very least. Our second outing was against a very well organized Bohs outfit and following a great display by both sides we ran out winners on a score line of 5 try’s to three. Best for Thomond were Sean O’Dea & man of the match Luke Shaughnessey but pride of place must go to Captain Connor Casey who gave a fantastic motivating speech at the interval to all our lads. Well done to new coaches Ger Higgins, Alan Airey & Jason Lyons led by the very experienced Dan O Shea.

Under 15 League V St Senans: This team is going from strength to strength with every passing week and is now turning into a very formidable side. Having reached the U 14 final last year it will be no surprise to anyone if they go on and take some silverware this season. We started this game with a number of injuries to key players and had to move the team around a little but you would never have thought that some of these players were in these positions for the first time. For the full hour we passed the ball around and scored some fantastic tries running out very easy winners at the end. This was another great team performance and best for our lads were Dillon Kelly & David O Shaughnessy with a man of the match performance from scrum half Ger Meehan. Great credit is due to team manager Joe O Shaughnessey ably assisted by forwards coach Martin Ryan and backs Coach Dave O Mahoney well done lads and continue the good work

Under 16 Friendly V St Mary’s: Coaches John Ryan & John Kelly had their first outing of the season with this talented bunch and although short a few regulars ran out winners on a score line of 15 – 8 the St Mary’s score a consolation coming in injury time. This team won their league last season and will no doubt be challenging for honors this time round. All scores came from great inter play between backs and forwards which has become the cornerstone of this team. Credit must also go to St Mary’s who never gave up to the final whistle. The Referee for this game was Eddie Hughes and between blowing the whistle talking to the players and giving out to the linesmen it was a wonder he had any breath left to run but he dug deep and was a credit to the elderly who still believe they can make a difference. Training continues next week on Sunday morning in Fitzgerald Park at 10.30am for our 6, 7,8,9,10,11 & 12 age groups. Our U13s on Friday night at 6pm in Fitzgerald park. U15s on Thursday at 6pm and or U16 & 17 squad at Villiers School Monday night at 7pm and Wednesday night in Fitzgerald Park at 7pm. If you are interested in playing rugby at any age group at any of the times stated and we would be more than happy o accommodate you. Finally the club would like to congratulate former player Keith Earls on another fine display for Munster against Leinster.

Members should note that we are holding our Annual Greyhound Night at the Markets Field Stadium on Saturday 8th November. Tickets are only €10 which covers admission on the night and also entry into the Buster draw on the 8th Race for a chance to win €1,000. When you consider that it is €7 to get in normally, this is very good value.
Most 1st and Junior players have now been given their tickets to sell and I would urge them to make a big effort to sell their full allocation. It is important that the stubs and money be returned as quickly as possible (but not after Saturday 25th October) to any member of the committee. Many Thanks.

Old Crescent RFC

Club Notes, 30 September 2008
Frank Larkin PRO

Our Senior Team played De La Salle Palmerston RFC in the first round of the AIB Cup in glorious sunshine in Rosbrien last Saturday and emerged victorious by 25 points to 21.

DLSP kicked off the scoring with a penalty after ten minutes but this was quickly followed by a well worked try for Old Crescent scored by Kieth Ellis. DLSP kicked another penalty midway through the first half and this too was quickly followed by another Old Crescent try scored by winger Arron Carroll. DLSP came back with a try on the half hour, but this was countered by a third Old Crescent try scored by Mark Ryan just before half time, leaving the half time score at Old Crescent 15 DLSP 11.

Old Crescent opened the scoring in the second half with a penalty taken by JP Hartigan, and DLSP replied with another penalty. With ten minutes to go, DLSP scored a try and a convert, to put Old Crescent behind for the first time in the match. Old Crescent supporters endured a few anxious moments before Mark Ryan scored a second try which was converted by JP Hartigan, leaving the final score Old Crescent 25 DLSP 21.

Overall, it was an excellent performance by our senior team with our new players knitting in well and Coach John Broderick making full use of his bench. Our senior team has now gone undefeated throughout September. We will face Bruff in the second round of the AIB Cup at home on Saturday, 1st November.

Our Seconds played Bruff in a friendly at home on Sunday and lost by 17 points to 15. Our Thirds played St Mary’s RFC in the Gleeson League, at home in Rosbrien last Saturday, and lost narrowly by 18 points to 17. Our under 20’s played Galwegians RFC in a friendly on Sunday and lost 12 points to nil.

Another busy weekend for our Underage players, with the U12’s hosting the first blitz of the season with visiting teams from UL Bohs, Bruff and Ballyhoura. While our under U13’s lost 34 points to 5 to a very strong UL Bohs team, they were much improved over their previous performance. Our U15’s continued their winning ways by beating Newcastlewest 22 points to 17 in their home league fixture. Our under 18’s lost in Coonagh to Shannon by 13 points to 6. Registration continues for all under age teams.

Fixtures for next weekend:

Our First team play Wanderers FC at home at 2.30pm on Saturday in Rosbrien in our first AIL fixture of the season. We ask all of our loyal supporters to come out and support our players on Saturday. Places are still available at the pre match lunch, kindly sponsored this weekend by Hanly Donnellan Financial Services. Details from Vincent Collins on 087 9756033.

Our Thirds will be at home at 1.00pm on Saturday to Garryowen in the Gleeson League, and our under 20’s will travel to Waterpark on Saturday to take part in an under 20’s tournament.

On Sunday our U11’s will be hosting a blitz with visiting teams from UL Bohs, West Clare Warriors and Young Munster, while youth fixtures will see both our U13’s and U15’s in Coonagh for their respective league fixtures, with the U13’s kicking off at 11:00am and the U15’s kicking off at 12:00 noon. Our U18’s are at home to Ennis in their league fixture with an 11:30am kick off.

Club Officers & Committee for 2008-2009 Season: Glenn Quin, President, Niall Sheehy, Vice President, Dale Harrow, Hon Secretary, Eddye Duffy, Hon Treasurer, Turlough O’Brien, Assistant Treasurer, Phil Glamuzina, Captain, Pat Reddan, Fixtures Secretary, Frank Larkin, Media Officer, Pat Rickard, Club Registrar, Brian Nolan, Munster Branch Delegate, Anthony Murray, Immediate Past President. Sub-Committee Chairmen: Tom Barry, Rugby, John Neville, Finance, Terry Clancy, House, Liam Keehan, Grounds, Dan Gallery, Ways & Means, Pat Liston, Under Age. Committee Members: Chris Cullinan, Michael Cunningham, Paddy Geraghty, Bill Hanly, Jim Keane, Billy Leahy, Joe Nix, Dermot McGovern, Anthony O’Dwyer.


Thurles 1st XV

Four converted tries, two in each half, was enough to suppress a strong Kanturk team and allow Thurles to proceed to the quarter-finals of the Munster Junior Challenge Cup on a scoreline of 28-17. In front of a large local crowd, and under the glare of a glorious September sun, number eight Mathew Moloney got the home team off the mark within the first ten minutes. Breaking away from the back of an attacking scrum, he touched down confidently under the posts. Outhalf Jason Moore stepped up and added the extra two points. However, these Kanturk boys belie their second division status and they responded to Thurles’ efforts with vigour. Their reward from a well worked play, rucked up the field, was a converted try in the clubhouse end.
Thurles, not to be outdone, regained their composure and returned to the visitors’ end of the field. A line-out, won close to the Kanturk try line, set up the perfect platform to allow the ball to be strung from touch line to touch line. Some strong attacking play by Thurles was finished off by second row Bryan Lyons and once again Moore expertly kicked the conversion.
The game of rugby has undergone some changes over the summer months and the introduction of new rules, known as Experimental Law Variations or ELV’s, will still take a bit of time for both players and referees, to adapt to. As a direct consequence of this, Thurles conceded a penalty, which the Kanturk out-half tapped over, leaving the score 14-10 at the break.
The second half resumed with Thurles, once again, setting up stall deep within the Kanturk twenty-two. A kick through by Moore was chased down by winger David Swweeney forcing the Kanturk full-back to fumble. The resulting scrum created the perfect platform to allow quick release of the ball which made its way into the hands of powerful centre Frances Bannon who barged over the line. Moore duly added the extra two points.
With victory in sight Thurles seemed to rest on their laurels. Instead of putting Kanturk to the sword, they allowed the Cork men back up the field where they capitalised on space out wide, running in a try under the posts which their out half converted.
With only four points now separating the teams, the next period of the game was intense. There were opportunities for both sides to take control but it was Thurles who held their nerve, with prop Michael Sheehan powering over the Kanturk line and ensuring victory for the home side. The last kick of the game was with winger Aiden Dwyer who stepped up, and effortlessly slotted over the resulting conversion from the touch line.

Team; Shane Moloney, Aiden Dwyer, Mark Butler, Frances Bannon, David Sweeney, Jason Moore, Darren Brennan, Michael Sheehan, Liam Bannon, Paidi Lanphier, Ollie Small (C), Bryan Lyons, Paddy Phelan, Conor Butler, Mathew Moloney. Subs used; Eoin Shanahan, Ollie Geoghegan,

Next match; Quarter-final of Challenge Cup v. Richmond, in Richmond, Sunday 5th of October at 2.30pm, All support most welcome.

The players and management would like to extend their congratulations and best wishes to Ollie Geogeghan, and his wife Brid, who recently celebrated the birth of their first daughter.

Thurles 2nds
Autumnal sunshine greeted the Thurles RFC 2nd XV on their visit to Scariff on Saturday last for the opener of the Gleeson League campaign. Thurles were constrained in terms of numbers and there was no margin for error or injury. Thurles showed early intent when Sean Moloney went over for a try in the corner following pressure from a rampaging pack. Leon Scrooby went on to convert through an excellent kick at a difficult angle. In what was the move of the day, Matthew Lee Spencer took on the ball just inside the Scariff half and in a bruising run absorbed all that Scariff had to throw. Spencer, staying on his feet, despite the best efforts of the Clare men, laid off a crafted pass to his fellow Springbok, Leon Scrooby, who took on the ball for a run to the corner and Thurles’ second try. Thurles greeted the half time whistle 12 – 0 to the better.
In the second half, pressure on a tiring Thurles showed when Scarrif went over to score. Thurles remained committed and the match was sealed when Leon Scrooby converted a penalty from the 10 metre line to see the visitors run out 15 – 7 winners.
Thurles 2nd XV: Scrooby L, Skehan C., O’Gorman R., Lee Spencer M., Cleary, C., Coman J., Halloran A., Kennedy P., Maloney S., Kelly, P., O’Mahony W., Scrooby J., Kelly D., Foley K., Ryan C.

Christopher Barry PRO

Brilliant sunshine, 65 points and a good open contest kept the smallish crowd entertained in the Munster Senior Cup game v Thomond played in Fitzgerald Park last Saturday. From the start, Willie Staunton orchestrated play at outhalf and his penalties and conversions to tries from Kieran Lewis and David Sherry established a comfortable half time 20-3 lead. This cushion afforded Greig Oliver the opportunity to use his bench effectively and new signing Ben Paurini slotted in well in the second row. Early in the second half, Cillian O’Boyle, who had a fine game at scrum half, showed great awareness at an opposition scrum to gather and outfox the defence and make it 27-3. Thomond however were always competitive and got the score back to 27-10 only for Mike Sherry to make hay at the other end and to reestablish a 24 point margin. Most teams might have capitulated but a kick ahead caused confusion in our defence and the referee correctly awarded a penalty try for blatant obstruction near our line. That brought the score to 34-17 but the light blues struck back again. A big hit and a spilled pass in midfield saw Kieran Lewis pick up the ball at speed and the centre angled his run to grab his second try and push the score out to 41-17. Thomond did have one final trick in their locker and centre Dara O’Neill showed some fancy footwork to beat his man on the outside to score in the corner. Declan Cusack added the points with the final kick of the game to leave the final score Thomond 24 Garryowen 41. Players to catch the eye were Staunton in the first half and replacement Alan Kingsley in the second. Adam O’Loughlin showed some lovely touches on the right wing and Lorcan Bourke ran well from his full back position. Our superior rucking and lineout play established control for our pack (although there was precious little in it at the scrum) with Mark and Neville Melbourne particularly effective.
The final of the Limerick Charity Cup v Shannon is scheduled for Saturday in Tom Clifford Park at 3.00.
Our 3rdXV beat Young Munster 22-0 in the annual Stephen Browne Trophy at Dooradoyle. Four tries to nil might suggest a stroll in the park but the game was extremely competitive all through. It was a good tough match prior to our first Gleeson League match v St. Senan’s in Dooradoyle on Saturday at 2.30. Our tries came from Ross O’Neill, David Pomeroy and a brace from Anthony Gahan. Peter Clarke added a conversion. Ross O’Neill had a fine game at 10 and Peter Clarke and Davy Pomeroy were impressive in their first start for the team. Our U20’s will be hoping for better fortune when they again play UL Bohemians in the NML in Annacotty on Saturday at 3.00.
Last Saturday the "Robins" ran out 29-12 winners in a friendly in Dooradoyle.
On Sunday our junior team had their first outing of the season when they travelled to play Kilfeacle. Conor Hartigan 2, Kevin Hartigan and Eamonn Boland were the try scorers in a 27-12 win. Conor Kilroy slotted two penalties and a conversion. We play Shannon in a friendly in Dooradoyle on Sunday at 2.30.

Under Age
Our U18’s beat St. Mary’s 25-8 in the Tony Colbert Cup and the U16’s beat Old Crescent 20-8 in a friendly. The U13’s had a very impressive 54-0 win over old Crescent in the NML played in Rosbrien last Sunday. Our U13 and U15 girls have been training on Saturdays at 10.00.

Fixtures this Weekend
Sat 27th Limerick Charity Cup v Shannon Tom Clifford Park 3.00
Sat 27th NML U20 v UL Bohemians Annacotty 3.00
Sat 27th Gleeson League v St. Senan’s Dooradoyle 2.30
Sun 28th J1 Friendly v Shannon Dooradoyle 2.30
Sun 28th NML U 18 v St. Senan’s Dooradoyle 12.00
Sun 28th NML U 15 v Ennis Dooradoyle 11.30
Sun 28th NML U 13 v Shannon Dooradoyle 10.30
Sun 28th U12 Blitz in Coonagh

Shay Graham PRO

J2 Rugby: Dennehy Cup: Quarter Final: Bandon 07 Cobh 15.
Bandon: Sean O’Riordon: Mark Kelly; Connor Desmond: Marios Cornelius: Dave Hegarty: David Ahern: Brian O’Driscoll: Dave Wilson: Phil Murphy: Ray Nyhan: Gavin Burke: John Nyhan: Colm Keane: James Neville (c); Alan Love.
Subs: Jason Quirke: Rob Herlihy: Padraig Duggan; Gavin Kelly; Philip Powell.

Bandon exited the Dennehy Cup at the quarter final stage after a hard fought encounter away to Cobh. Bandon began brightly and David Ahern kept the Cobh defence guessing with a couple of clever chips in behind the defence. Bandon went close on a couple of occasions. Marios Cornelius was pushed into touch in the corner and Dave Hegarty actually went over the line after a great solo run but the touch judge adjudged him to have put a foot in touch. But the last twenty minutes of the first half was all Cobh and but for a combination of poor passing and heroic defence by Bandon they should really have registered at least a couple of scores. Indeed their kicker struck the post on two occasions. Marios Cornelius in particular made one try saving tackle on the Cobh winger when you thought he simply had to score. Bandon were surviving at the break with the game scoreless but they suffered a blow just before half time when they lost Connor Desmond with a shoulder injury.

Bandon were on the back foot after the resumption and conceded another penalty which at the third time of asking was converted by Cobh. The visitors responded well reclaiming the kick off and a series of rucks saw them awarded a penalty which David Ahern struck the upright with. This let off seemed to galvanise Cobh whose forwards began to get on top. Bandon’s cause was not helped with the sin binning of one of their forwards. Cobh extended their lead from a five metre lineout when a rehearsed move saw one of their forwards crash over. The try was converted to leave it 10-nil. Cobh were now well on top and got a second try after a series of quick recycled rucks saw them brush aside some weak Bandon tackling to score. The convert was missed and the score was now 15-nil. Bandon did not give up however and in the last ten minutes there was some great individual runs made that just weren’t capitalised upon. They got a consolation try however when with the last play of the game David Ahern sold a lovely dummy and ran around under the posts. He added the conversion himself to leave the final score 15-07. Despite the defeat Bandon will take a lot of positives from this game and can be proud of their efforts against what was a powerful Cobh side.

Bandon’s next outing is in the J2 League where they begin their campaign with a trip to Highfield on the 12th October. Kick off 12 o clock.

Aidan Clifford PRO

Killorglin Rugby Club started their cup season on Sunday last with a home tie to Killarney in the Munster Junior Challege Plate. Killorglin started the better team when, after only 5 minutes some fine back play from scrum half and Captain Trevor West and out half Ronan Curtayne fed the ball to centre Brian Gannon. After breaking the gain line Gannon was brought to ground but found a great pop pass to Vivian O’Callaghan. The veteran winger had the pace and fast feet to beat three defenders and run in under the posts for a superb try, easily converted by Gannon. Killorglin 7-0 ahead. Killorglin went further ahead after 24 minutes when Killarney, having won their own lineout inside their 22, had their clearance kick blocked down from flanker Mike Breen and the ball fell nicely to Ronan Curtayne who made no mistake in scoring a try. Once again the conversion was slotted by Gannon, putting Killorglin 14-0 ahead.
Killarney picked up after that score and fought back at Killorglin. The home side defended bravely, putting in some big tackles especially from centre Bernard Jones and flanker Sean Joy, but after 15 mins possession and right on the stroke of half time, Killarney’s forwards battered over the line and Adrian Hegarty scoring a fine try. This was converted by Kieran o’Grady leaving the score at the break at 14-7.
Killarney started the second half as they finished the first. The put Killorglin’s defence under heavy pressure and thought they had broken it after 50 mins when they touched down in the corner only to find the winger had touched the corner post in grounding the ball. In line with rugby’s new ELVs, this was deemed to be a 22m drop out to Killorglin. Killarney did make up for it just minutes later when centre John Donovan weaved through the Killorgin to score a good individual try. However, Kieran O’Leary missed what was a very easy conversion to tie the scores when he hit the crossbar from no more than 20m out. This left the scores at 14-12 to the home side and from there on, the final quarter of the game had Killorglin defending for their lives, with Killarney trying to break through the defensive line. Killorglin held out with help from the occasional break from West and fullback Peter O’Reilly to give the defensive line a breather. Final score form the Community College Grounds was Killorglin 14-12 Killarney and Killorglin progress to the next round. A particularly special mention must be given to teenage prop Jason Clifford, who with help from veteran Karl J Daly, fared very well against what was a big Killarney pack. Also the players returning from other clubs played a big part in the game namely, Brian Hayes, Tommy Moriarty, David Hayden, Enda Murphy, Mark Healy and Peter O’Reilly
Killorglin Team:- 1 J Clifford, 2 B Hayes, 3 KJ Daly, 4 T Moriarty, 5 D Hayden, 6 M Breen, 7 S Joy, 8 E Murphy, 9 T West (c), 10 R Curtayne, 11 V O’Callaghan, 12 B Jones, 13 B Gannon, 14 M Healy, 15 P O’Reilly. Subs used:- C Conway for Moriarty, A Kelliher for Breen, A O’Reilly for Jones, J Riordan for O’Callaghan, D Flynn for Clifford.

Senior Team Training continues every Tuesday & Friday at the Killorglin Community College grounds at 7:00pm. New players are most welcome and our coaches are happy to introduce novice players to the game. Killorglin RFC Underage training continues on Saturday next, 20th September. Under 10, 12, 13 & 14 teams will train on the Dragon’s Den All weather pitch at the Intermediate School at 11am. The Under 16 & 18 players will train at our home pitch at Killorglin Community College grounds at 11am also. For information on any age grade issues, contact Youth Officer John Costello on 086-3558185 or P.R.O Aidan Clifford on 087-9065927.

Killorglin Rugby Club’s fundraising draw continues, with a chance to be part of history as its prize. For a price of €10, you are in with a chance to win two tickets to the historic Munster v All Blacks game in the newly revamped Thomond Park on Tuesday, November 18th, along with one night’s accommodation in Limerick’s Clarion Hotel. This may be the official opening of the new Thomond Park and marks the 30th anniversary of Munster’s finest hour, when they beat the All Blacks on 31st October 1978. For information, call or text Aidan Clifford on 0879065927 or Jerome O’Sullivan on 087-3710104. Alternatively, contact any committee member. All money raised will go towards developing the new home ground.
Membership for Killorglin Rugby Club is now open for the 2008-2009 season. Family membership costs €50, a single membership costs €30, while a juvenile membership costs €10. The above numbers can be contacted also for more information.

Shannon Win the first Derby of the season
Shannon 27 Garryowen 9
Limerick Charity Cup Final

With just a week to go before the commencement of the AIB league Shannon got a timely boast in the form of a convincing win over Garryowen in the Limerick Charity cup last Saturday. The game lacked the full on intensity of a league game, but nonetheless there will be satisfaction for Shannon that they managed to hold their line intact while crossing the Garryowen line twice.
Garryowen relied heavily on the inside pass as opposed to their usual expansive game and it was a tactic that Shannon marshalled comfortably and perhaps a little worryingly for the light blues, had Shannon’s lineout functioned to capacity , they may well have found themselves a bit further behind at the full time whistle.
Shannon will be happy that they bounced back from their Munster senior cup exit, but they certainly won’t be hanging up the bunting or the flags just yet. Improvement was there, but more will most definitely be required as the league begins on Saturday.
In a first half that relied on the goal kicking of Willie Staunton and Tadgh Bennett for the 9-3 score, neither side threatened with vigour. Garryowen were finding it difficult to gain any sort of a foothold in Shannon’s ’22 and thus their potency in their backline was negated.
Shannon played at their own pace; they defended well, kicked well and in general looked fairly comfortable while never setting the game on fire.
The second half saw Garryowen attack Shannon’s line early and while they did come very close to crossing , their only reward was a Staunton penalty and a numerical advantage when Eoghan Grace was sent to the line for 10 minutes.
It didn’t seem to affect Shannon in the slightest as they cranked up the pace and it was they who expanded the game beyond the forwards with considerable success.
Mossy Lawler’s drop goal effort in the 49th minute limped over and the continued injection of pace saw them extend the lead after the utilised the width of the field and took advantage of poor Garryowen defence at a ruck. Fergal Walsh picked at the said ruck and was confronted with nothing between himself and the line and his lengthy strides saw him make the 20 metres with ease.
Shannon were looking comfortable, but still Garryowen persisted and another Staunton penalty reduced Shannon’s advantage , but it was only a temporary reduction as Bennett took advantage of the penalty and subsequent sin binning of Rory Brosnan.
Shannon pressed home their superiority on the day when John O’Connor benefitted from a turnover and a quick counter attack from Lawlor and Bennett. The try under the posts made the conversion simple and at 27 -9 it was all over and the nine or so remaining minutes passed by unremarkably.

M. Lawlor, D. O’Donovan (R. Mullane), J. Clogan, A. Finn, M. O’Driscoll, T. Bennett, F. O’Loughlin, K. O’Neill (L. Hogan), J. Cronin (S. Hayes), G. McNamara (K. Griffin) P. O’Brien (F. Broderick), F. Walsh, E.Grace G. Murphy (J. O’Connor) D. Quinlan

Maria O’Mahony PRO

A beautiful day and a beautiful score – that was the story at Snugmore on Sunday 28th September as Kinsale 1st XV secured yet another win taking them into the 1/4 final of the MJCC.

Old Christians made a very good start to the game putting pressure on Kinsale with a Penalty but it was short lived as Kinsale got a foot hold on the game and turned the pressure round with Jason Murphy scoring a penalty shortly followed by a try scored by Colm McCarthy. Fraiser Hodgeson and Peter Murphy went over for a try each before half time with the first being converted by Jason Murphy. Old Christians worked an early second half try but that was to be their last score. Kinsale’s fitness levels were superior and with a high tempo amongst the pack, they wore Christians down allowing the home side to run in three more tries from Tadgh Wright, Ian O’Leary and Eddie Farran. A great result for Kinsale with the quarter final taking place at 14.30 next Sunday 5th October in Snugmore. Final Score 39-8.

2nd XV- walkover from Bandon. Next fixture against Crosshaven – semi final O’Sullivan Cup 12.00 Sunday 5th October in Crosshaven.

Kinsale Ladies are playing Clanwilliam on Sunday in their first league game. Kick off 2pm in Clanwilliam.

Kilfeacle Scupper Skibereen!
Kilfeacle and District R.F.C. 23
Skibbereen R.F.C. 10

After last week’s home defeat it was vitally important to continue with a win in the first round of the Challenge Cup, however when the opponents were Skibbereen, who have beaten us in the league both home and away over the last two years it was going to be a tough assignment. Although our form of late has been showing signs of improvement everyone, from players, selectors, coaches and supporters, knew that if we were to take something from this game we would have to perform to the best of our ability as a team. At 2.30pm on Sunday 28th November the sun was shining and the home side had the advantage of a light breeze for the first half. Kilfeacle started the game well and immediately pushed Skibbereen back into their own 22. This was as far as the home side advanced as they met the Skibbereen defensive wall, which on the day was not going to be breached easily. As the half wore on Kilfeacle pushed further and further into their opponents territory and managed to put together some threatening attacks but all the while Skibbereen kicked the ball back over their heads and gained ground was once again relinquished. With 30 minutes of the half gone Kilfeacle had restricted the home side to very few chances. Then in the 30th minute a promising attack by Kilfeacle led to the Skibbereen defence, which previously had been in miserly form, giving away to an excellently worked try touched down by Johan Bourdal in the corner. When John Keehan converted from a very acute angle it seemed that Kilfeacle’s territorial dominance was starting to pay off. When Skibbereen restarted the game Kilfeacle immediately worked their way back into their opponents half and were awarded a penalty 35 yards out near the right hand touchline. They elected to kick, but John Keehan saw his attempt drift to the left of the uprights however three minutes later he converted another penalty from the same distance but a more central location. With the half drawing to a close Kilfeacle seemed content to hold their opponents but an excellent break out of defence saw Skibbereen surge into the Kilfeacle 22, to be stopped just yards from the line. When the attack broke down Kilfeacle were awarded a scrum and given the chance to clear their lines. However a mix up at the back of the scrum saw Skibbereen claim the ball and go over the try line under the posts. The travelling supporters’ joy was obvious as this try was converted and the half time whistle sounded with the scoreboard showing 10-7 to Kilfeacle and District.
Trailing only by 3 points having spent most of the half defending Skibbereen were suddenly in the ascendency, the Kilfeacle squad new that their discipline and hard work during the first half had now been eroded in a few short minutes and that Skibbereen had gained themselves a realistic chance of achieving a vital away win. From the restart, Skibbereen immediately took the game to Kilfeacle and gained territorial advantage and within minutes were level after a superbly taken drop goal. The home side were now under extreme pressure and needed to defend well. The next 20 minutes of play were spent with both sides evenly matched and creating chances that neither could convert. In the 64th minute Kilfeacle were awarded a penalty which we elected to kick at goal as we were finding it difficult to breach the Skibbereen rearguard. John Keehan slotted the kick to score a precious 3 points after some excellent team play. The next 10 minutes were cagey, as both teams knew that only one score separated them and that margin would not be enough. Both teams built good phase play but the defences on both sides held tough. In the 75th minute Derek Ryan capped a fine personal display and a fine move by going over in the corner. The conversion was a bridge too far for John Keehan but with only seconds remaining on the clock he made up for his miss by scoring a try after intercepting a stray pass in his own 22 to run the length of the pitch and score. The subsequent conversion attempt was missed. This was to be the last score of the game as try as they might Skibbereen’s best offensive endeavours fell short on the day. The final scoreline of 23-10 in favour of the homeside slightly flattered the victors but the win was deserved.
After the game John Keehan said, "We are delighted with the win and the manner in which it was achieved. We avenged our first round exit in the Mansergh Cup this year but they made us work for it! It was great to see some old faces back and a fine display by a young and exciting pack. I would like to take this opportunity to thank Skibbereen for a hard fought but sporting match."
Players that deserved further mention for their displays are Michael Collins scrumhalf and Aidan Noonan in the centres. Another point of highlight was the continuation of a tradition of brothers playing on the same team for Kilfeacle and District RFC when both Ger and Shane Looby not only graced the field together but gave two excellent performances. The did their family and their club proud. Their father Johnny was six inches taller and 6 decibels louder glowing on the sideline with pride and rightfully so. This just highlights the community/family spirit the club is built upon. Our next game is a tough away game against our neighbours Cashel in the second round of the Challenge Cup on Sunday 5th in Cashel. Cashel will be overwhelming favourites for this one having won the league last year and now have a squad that contains a number of players that have played for Senior teams. However we know that our boys will give everything they have to the cause and not be left wanting, and what more can we ask for. The team as ever are proud and humbled by the amount of support they receive and hope that their supporters will continue to come along and support the team on Sunday.

Kilfeacle seconds pipped at the post.
Clonmel R.F.C. 22
Kilfeacle and District R.F.C. 20

On the evening of Saturday 27th of September, Kilfeacle and District R.F.C.’s seconds travelled to Clonmel for the first round of the Gleeson League. Although we were beaten we were happy with our performance. The selectors and coaches have decided that any players that turn up for training regularly would get "game time" and this promise was adhered too. Clonmel will happy with the result and in a lively game we can’t begrudge them the victory. Clonmel got off to a good start with a nice try however Michael Fitzgerald replied with a fine penalty for the Blues. Slack marking allowed Clonmel to make progress and with intelligent play they scored a second try. Kilfeacle rallied and good play from Noel Leahy and Tommy Maher kept us in the game. Young Ryan (Whip) and Andy were doing nicely on the wings. We were trailing 13 points to 3 when a fine penalty by Mark Bourke, who shows great potential, and an excellent try from Kevin Hourigan, gave us great encouragement. Shane Casey’s strength was noticeable, Liam Burns and Diarmuid Carr will benefit from more games while Alan Kiely, Davy Stapleton and Keith Kearins can be proud of their games. It was late in injury time when Clonmel scored the try that secured them victory by 22 points to 20 and broke the Kilfeacle hearts. Pat Guerin who had his first game can be proud of his input while Ritchie Hayes and Charles Walsh impressed. Welcome back to Aidan Long at scrum half. Overall it is a fantastic achievement for Kilfeacle and District RFC to be able to field over 40 adult players of this quality every weekend. Trainning continues every Tuesday and Friday night at Morrissey Park at 7.30pm. Players please be on the field ready on time and you will get game time. Congratulations to Clonmel and a particular mention to their groundsman Kevin. The have a set up and facilities that any senior club would be proud of.

Kilfeacle Under 18’s 10 aside Blitz.
It was a fantastic site to see players from Kilfeacle and District RFC, Clanwilliam FC, Clonmel RFC and Cashel RFC competing in a 10 aside Blitz at Morrissey Park on the morning of Sunday 28th. Praise goes to all involved for what was an exciting and very beneficial event for all.

Kilfeacle Under 16’s lose a friendly to Shannon RFC.
Shannon R.F.C. 22
Kilfeacle and District R.F.C. 15
Another fine display by this team who show skill and poise beyond their years. It was a disappointing result having led by 15 points to 0 at one stage but yet a valuable learning experience. On the day Michael Ryan, Cillian and Fintan Ryan (the twins), JJ Cooney, and Cathal Donovan impressed. Kilfeacle would like to thank all from Shannon RFC for a great game day.


DFP – Right Column – HalfPage


DFP – Right Column – MPU

Related News

A new rugby initiative is seeking expressions of interest from people of all walks of life who may be interested in setting up an LGBTQ+...