DFP Header Area

Share this MunsterRugby.ie page

Club News Weekending 26th Oct 2008

20th October 2008 By Munster Rugby

Read the latest news and match reports from clubs in the province

Garryowen FC Notes
Christopher Barry PRO
On a cool crisp, Friday autumn evening, the club faithful returned to Thomond Park. Perhaps the novelty of seeing the stadium for the first time enticed young and old to the first of the great Limerick Derbies under floodlights. The excitement at the turnstiles was palpable and many venerable supporters nodded their heads in unison as the rival camps formed orderly but lengthy queues to catch the big game. It was like old times in the hallowed ground and the friendly banter ensued throughout a tense evening. Club rugby had returned and not before time. The splendor of the stadium was accentuated by the arrival of two impeccably attired teams. Credit the respective backroom boys who took the opportunity to tip their hats at the vastly superior budget of the professional game. The entrance fee was as modest as it has always been and the spirit and ethos of the amateur game resonated throughout the night. It may have been appropriate that it ended all square and both teams can rue missed opportunities to "close the deal". The opening period had it’s moments but with the stakes so high, handling errors understandably punctuated proceedings. Conor Kilroy missed an early penalty from a favourable position but Tadgh Bennett got the show on the road with a sweet effort at the other end. My counterpart Andrew McNamara and I agreed afterwards that all clubs must address the malaise of the young not respecting the time-honoured and unique courtesy afforded to kickers at this or any other ground. Parents on both sides might arrange to have this appalling habit stamped out immediately. The play was fast and furious and the fitness levels of a very high standard. A further exchange of penalties before the break seemed to set the scene for a more open second 40. The game exploded into life in the 43rd minute when some poor defending allowed Fiach O’Loughlin in for a very soft try but the conversion tailed wide. One sensed a further score for the Parish at that stage would have seen the lights go out on the light blue challenge. The Dooradoyle need, was even greater going into this tie and gradually they eased their way back into contention. Instead of running ball close to home they adopted a more pragmatic approach via field position. ELV’s may not survive in their current format and while adjustment has initially proved difficult, poor feet/body positioning at the ruck has resulted in a plethora of penalties. Only time will tell if their introduction has made the game more or less enjoyable. In fairness, the exclusions zones at the lineout and scrum have given the runners more time and space but only when appropriate depth has been retained going wide. Conor Kilroy pegged it back to 11-9 and then kicked a monster from 50m to take the lead. Almost immediately Bennett pushed Shannon 14-12 ahead. With time ticking away it appeared Shannon would again prevail only for the score of the game to arrive in the 75th minute. It was a score that would light up any game. The ball was moved at great speed from a line out to right wing Lorcan Bourke outside the 22 and he fairly scorched home in the right hand corner on the East Stand side at the Ballynanty end. Crucially Kilroy missed the difficult conversion so it was case of winding down the clock and sneak home with full points. Successive Heineken Cup games have shown the folly of being overprotective at any ruck inside your 22. When seat 112 in Row UZ was the required destination for a last minute Alan Kingsley clearance, somehow the Shannon back row snagged him and closed off his escape route. Much to the relief of the home faithful and the groans of the visitors, Dave Keane (IRFU) awarded the decisive penalty and Bennett picked himself up off the ground to split the posts. In the end a draw may well have been the appropriate result on a night when club rugby Stood Up and Fought like Hell.
Languishing in the nether regions of the league table at this early stage of the season is something we will have to address when we play Buccaneers on Saturday in Dooradoyle under light at 5.00. The following week we renew rivalries with Thomond in Round 2 of the AIB Cup at 2.30 in Dooradoyle. Our U20’s did well for long periods of the opening half in their AIL game v UL Bohemians in Annacotty last Saturday. In fact they retained a 6-0 lead (Colm Downes 2 pen) coming up to the break but the Robins got over under the posts despite the best efforts of a determined defence. With the wind at our backs on the resumption it should have been a case of 9 to 10 to corner. Running what appeared to be overlaps inside our own 22 proved costly and the home team punished us accordingly. Two converted tries made it 21-6 and even though Conor Murray replied with a penalty, ‘Bohs had the points securely in the bag long before the finish. This Saturday the AIL continues when we travel to play Highfield in Model Farm Road at 2.00. We are home to Young Munster in the Gleeson League at 12.00 on Saturday. The team had a comfortable 62-3 win over an under-strength St. Senan’s team last weekend. Our junior team contests the McKeon Cup v Thomond on Sunday in Dooradoyle at 2.30. The U13’s continued their winning steak when they beat Thomond 34-10 in the NML in Dooradoyle last Sunday morning. Social Diary.
Should be a case of House Full in Dooradoyle on Sunday Night for the exceptionally well organised Annual Fancy Dress Party. Remember Monday is a Bank Holiday so it’s trick or treat time. Our thanks to Fran Hogan and Emer Danaher for their efforts in what was by all accounts a fantastic lunch/fashion show run in conjunction with BT, The Clarion and the inimitable Celia Holman Lee. Haute couture all round. John Noonan is hosting the annual Presidents Dinner Dance on Friday 7th November in the clubhouse. The Garryowen Horse Race Day is being held on Sunday 9th November in Limerick Race Course in Greenmount. It features the Resource sponsored Garryowen Plate. Killian Slattery has all the tables/ package details on 086 8359902 or if you merely require admission tickets contact JJ Gunning on 086 6705996. Parents of under age are encouraged to bring the family along. It is a fun day and a valuable fundraiser. Perhaps it might not do too much harm to have a badly needed flutter on the nags and post mortem in South’s afterwards in these doom and gloom days. The white flag has not been raised….!!!! Shannon RFC Notes
Andrew McNamara
It was difficult to gauge the initial reaction in the dressing room in the immediate aftermath of our 17-17 draw with Garryowen in the AIB league. While the heads were not dropped, the lads weren’t jumping for joy either and I suspect the Garryowen dressing room experienced similar sentiments. Honours even may not have been what we set out to achieve, but it was certainly better than recording a second defeat in the league.
A new era in AIB rugby perhaps dawned last Friday night under the lights in Thomond Park. The famous venue has certainly seen bigger crowds during the glory days of the league, but witnessed on Friday was a fantastic crowd to see the first club game in the new Thomond Park. It is perhaps the way forward for the game, locally at least. There was a great atmosphere before the game and indeed during it with the only disappointment being the unsavoury behaviour of some of the younger supporters of both teams who insisted on ignoring the famous tradition of silence for the kicker. I would urge parents and coaches to let these players know that this behaviour is unacceptable.
The game itself was one we could easily have lost, just as easily we could have won it, so I suppose the logical conclusion would infer that a draw was a fair result. Neither side were jumping for joy at the final whistle and the demeanour was one of disappointment from both teams. It was, as expected, a close game with scoring opportunities in short supply. Once again Tadgh Bennett was in great form and scored 12 of our points, while Fiach’s early second half try did look to set us on the way to victory. However, with plenty of time remaining the ding dong scoring resumed and Garryowen’s well worked try late on might well have signalled their first win of the campaign, but what followed was perhaps the most pleasing aspect of the night from our perspective. The lads battled well and showed great spirit to manufacture an equalising penalty and although we could well have created another opportunity soon after we had to be content with honours even. It was a much improved performance and it seems with each passing game the improvement continues. Fiach played a captains part and was named AIB man of the match and richly deserved for a man who battled injury fervently right up to kickoff. Lying midtable and quite a few points off the leaders this Saturday’s game against Terenure is of major significance. A lengthy break of over a month in the league after Saturday reinforces the need for a good result and despite Terenure lying at the foot of the table we can afford to take nothing for granted. Remember last season when two bottom teams took our scalp.
Just a note that in a week’s times our AIB cup game with Blackrock will be on the earlier time of 2pm to allow for extra time. Under 20’s: Elsewhere we had mixed results with the seconds and U.20’s opening their league campaigns.On Saturday the U.20’s travelled play Sundays Well and came home with a well deserved 15-7 win. The scoreline might well flatter the home side as we squandered four or five scoring opportunities throughout the game. We were dealt an early blow when outhalf Paddy O’Sullivan was forced off through injury, but replacement scrumhalf Colm Quinn slotted in and made an impact. He set up Eoin O’Neill shortly after coming on for the opening try and a Dave O’Leary penalty increased our lead. Luke O’Dea finished off a great move form 30 metres out to cross the line before the break, but that was to be the end of our scores. The lads took the pedal off the gas and allowed the home side some initiative which resulted in a converted try late in the game. It wasn’t ideal to see the lads drop the pace, but what can’t be denied is that it’s great to get off to a good start in the league. This Saturday in Coonagh we play Cork Con with a 2.30 start. For anyone not travelling to Dublin, their support would be greatly appreciated. Shannon Second XV: On Sunday the seconds were beaten by UL Bohs in the opening salvo of the Munster seconds league by 18-9. It was a well below par performance from the lads and they will certainly have to improve if they are to make an impact on the league. We certainly have the players to compete, but in fairness UL Bohs are always a good side at seconds so it’s a little early to write off their chances just yet. This Sunday they are down to Cork to play Highfield at 2.30.
This Saturday the thirds resume action when they play UL Bohs in Coonagh at 12.30. Underage Rugby
Underage fixtures last weekend were nonexistent and this weekend we have something similar. Only the U/15’s are in action when they play UL Bohs in Coonagh at 11.30. Tadgh Crowe has informed us that the tickets for the forthcoming Autumn internationals will be available soon. Members should apply as soon as possible and bear in mind that the IRFU have imposed a linking system with the tickets. The New Zealand match is linked with the six nation’s game with France, while the Argentina game is linked with the English game. This means that we cannot dispose of tickets independently.
Finally we end by sending our sympathies to Pat Shine and his family on the death of his mother last week. UL Bohemian RFC
Denis Ryan PRO
Rugby is a strange game. One week we play Dolphin, score 5 tries but are beaten by 35-33, and then we travel west, fail to score a try, and end up
beating Buccaneers by 9-8, who had themselves been victorious over Dolphin in an earlier round! The only certainty about the AIL is its uncertainty.
However, the win was the best thing about our game as the match itself fell short of expectations. Behind 5-0 at the break, we just got through by the
minimum thanks to a penalty from Fergal Lawler and two more from Aidan McNulty. This weekend, away for the third week in a row, we make the journey
north to play Ballymena and mindful of how the long trip home appears longer in the event of a loss, we are expecting a much improved display, and a
continuation of our winning ways. Under 20’s
In the U-20 All Ireland League, UL Bohs commenced the title defence with an impressive win by 21-9 over Garryowen, who are always a threat at every
level. In the game, played in Annacotty before a large crowd, UL Bohs led 7-6 at the break thanks to a try from David Kilcoyne, converted by Harry de
Stackpoole. Second half tries from Noel Kinnane and Mark Doyle, again converted by Harry, saw the side safely home. On Saturday UL Bohs meet Young
Munsters in Greenfield, and can expect another tough examination from the side who were unluckily beaten in the All Ireland semi-final last season. Social Notes:
On Sunday 26th the Annual Halloween Party will take place in the new magnificent clubhouse in Thomond Park. Fancy Dress is essential, and tickets
may be obtained from the UL Bohs office. Then on 6th November the first Fashion Show in the Hospitality Suite in the
outstanding East Stand of Thomond Park. The show will be televised by the Xpose team from TV3, and tickets may be obtained from Eve’s in Roches St, or
the UL Bohs office. Our sympathies go to Robert Bourke on the death of his father. Robert is a recent past President of UL Bohs and is renowned as a man of boundless
energy. Our thoughts are with him and his family at this time.
Clonakilty RFC Notes
"Welcome Win Moves Clon to Middle"
Clonakilty 25 Instonians 7
A collective sigh of relief was heaved by the Clon Faithful in The Vale last Saturday when Clonakilty won their first league game of the campaign and celebrated the occasion with a try scoring bonus point. This overdue result moves Clon firmly off the bottom and into the middle regions of the table, out of the relegation zone but also still adrift of the play-off and promotion spots – for the moment anyway! Many shock results in the division on Saturday, with all the top teams tumbling to defeat, leaves little between Clon and both the play-off and relegation places. Only four points separate the West Cork club from either glory or ignominy but it is early days yet with 12 games to go before those places are decided. On the evidence of Clon’s back play and traditional loose forward support, which was very evident on this occasion, Clon would be more likely to move upwards. Coach Eugene Murnane was understandably pleased. However while recognising that Clon showed what they could do when they put in the work he was concerned at the turnover count at the breakdown. "Although we shaded that area we gave away too many and need to work on this for the future. Having said that it was a good win and I’m delighted for the lads and particularly getting the bonus point". The difference in the performance over recent weeks was marginal but effective. The pack did move up a notch and with David Cookson in sparkling form at scrum half, paved the way for the win. Backs scored all four trys but the forwards can take a lot of credit for their genesis. An early yellow card for Lenny Harte and a penalty miss had supporters shifting nervously but a late tackle on Derek Dillon allowed David Lombard to steady the ship with an excellent penalty. It was to be the only score until the stroke of half time when Lenny Harte took a quick tap from a penalty award. Unlike last week it worked this time in Clon’s favour as Cribb took it on and the rejuvenated out-half’s jinking run caught the defence flat-footed and he strolled over for the try. Lombard’s conversion gave the home side a 10 – 0 lead at the interval. The second half was in its infancy when good work from Noel O’Sullivan and Bless Ngaheu brought play into the Inst half and Lenny Harte taking the scrum half role linked with Cribb who found John O’Donnell. The in-form winger made great ground before an excellent offload put Derek Dillon clear for Clon’s second try and a 15 – 0 lead. Darragh Lynch showed great strength in scoring Clon’s third as he burst through despairing tackles to score an improbable try faced with experienced defenders. Clon’s scrum was dominant and Alfie Harte won a great ball against the head to put his side on the attack. Derek Dillon and Cookson did their bit and Lynch finished with great confidence.
Clon’s tails were well and truly up now and in search of the bonus they can be a joy to watch. It was appropriate that man-of-the-match Cookson should get the vital try. Tremendous work by forwards and backs with probably every player in the team involved saw Lombard, Lenny Harte and Ngaheu combine well to release Cookson for the score. Cookson was at the height of his game and was poetry in motion at times as his tackling, balanced running and one-handed, ball-scooping skills at pace had the crowd gasping.
Noel O’Sullivan put an indifferent game against Greystones behind him and threatened many times to add to his try scoring feats in this outing. Although unfortunately he had to retire before the end with an injury his hunger showed why, in his 100th AIL appearance for Clon, he could be destined to top the all time rankings for try scorers across all divisions in The AIB All Ireland League. Those stats will appear in this column shortly.
Clonakilty: Derek Dillon, John O’Donnell, Paul Dillon, David Lombard (Capt), Noel O’Sullivan, Gary Cribb, David Cookson, Cathal Kirby, Alfie Harte, Robert Bogue, Danny Whelton, Bless Ngaheu, Ger Hegarty, Lenny Harte, Mike Keohane, Joe Knowles, Shane Deane, Seán Dignan, Eoin Ryan and Darragh Lynch.
This Saturday they move to Cork to take on Highfield and this will be the last AIL game before the meeting with second placed Malone on November 29th in The Vale. Clon will be wary of this one. The city boys will not be lacking in motivation as they are still smarting from the last two occasions the sides met in the AIL. On each occasion Clon managed to register five trys to claim all five points and it would be difficult to see that become three in a row. The Derby of Derbys is in store!
Underage Rugby: There was good news from the underage section the bedrock of Clon’s continuing success. The under 16s beat Carrigaline 24 – 0 while the under 14s beat Kinsale 34 – 17. Great results but the under 13s stole the headlines with an amazing win in the Joe Kidney Cup an underage tournament featuring eight clubs and run by PBC in Cork. Clon won the tournament this time out and in doing so became the first club other than PBC to do so. Watch these boys! Congratulations also to Bless Ngaheu whose partner Lynette gave birth to their new son Kiamarni last Saturday in New Zealand – during the Greystones game! The club look forward to welcoming the new arrival and his family to Clonakilty in the near future.
This week’s fixtures:
Sat 25 Senior All Ireland League Highfield Cork 2.30
Under 18 League Bandon The Vale 11.30
Under 14 League Skibbereen The Vale 11.30
Sun 26 Senior A Munster Seconds League Old Crescent Limerick 2.30
Bulldogs J2 League Highfield The Vale 2.30

Old Crescent RFC
Frank Larkin PRO
The Old Crescent record against UCC in the Mardyke over the years shows more losses than wins, so last Saturday’s winning display by our senior team in the Mardyke was very encouraging and gives us confidence that we will achieve more hard fought away wins this season. UCC opened the scoring with a penalty after ten minutes but this was quickly neutralised by a well taken penalty from the halfway line by our fullback, Ray Moloney. Ray followed this up with a beautiful long range drop goal and another penalty before half time, to leave the half time score, Old Crescent 9 UCC 3. In the second half, Crescent and UCC exchanged penalties to take the score to 12 – 6 in favour of Crescent. However, lapses of concentration by Crescent in the middle period of the second half allowed UCC in for two successive tries, which were not converted, putting UCC in front 16 – 12 going into the last 10 minutes. Showing a new maturity, Crescent didn’t panic but continued to play positive attacking rugby and made good use of our strong bench to bring on fresh legs. This effort was rewarded in the dying minutes of the game when our speedy winger, Alan Purcell scored a fantastic try at the corner flag, following a back line movement which started with a superbly floated flat pass by substitute outhalf, Mark Woods. The convert from the touchline didn’t go over, leaving Crescent supporters with a nervous few moments before the referee blew up for a narrow 17 – 16 win for Old Crescent. Old Crescent were the better of the two teams on the day. It is also worth noting that the win was scored against a UCC side that was mostly unchanged from the side that won AIL Division 2 last season. Our first team is improving with every game. Our Seconds and Thirds had no games last weekend. Our Under 20’s played Clonmel RFC away and lost 37 – 25. Although they lost, the Under 20 performance was very encouraging, with several new players taking part and the team scoring 4 tries in the last 20 minutes. Underage Rugby:
The U8’s and U9’s away in Ballina and Ennis, respectively, and with just one youth fixture scheduled for last weekend, we had a quiet day in the club on Sunday morning last.

The youth fixture, played in Rosbrien, was an U18’s match against St. Mary’s and we ran out 41 points to 7 winners. This U18 team boasts 8 Munster schools interprovincial players who will be honoured by the Club at one of our upcoming pre-match lunches. Upcoming fixtures:
Our First Team play Lansdowne FC in the AIL at 2.30pm next Saturday at the RDS Grounds in Ballsbridge, the ‘home’ of Leinster rugby. Again, we ask our supporters to travel to Dublin in numbers and join our loyal band of Dublin based supporters for this important game. Our Seconds play Clonakilty RFC in the Second’s League in Rosbrien at 2.30pm on Sunday, while our Thirds are away to Richmond RFC in the Gleeson League at 2.30pm on Saturday. There will be no training at any underage level next weekend but the U18’s have an away league fixture against St. Senan’s in Shannon at 11:30am on Sunday. Bruff RFC
Richard Leonard PRO
1st XV: "Get out of Jail, More like get out of Alcatraz." That’s how it has been described on the Belfast Harlequins website and to be fair that’s as good a one line description of the game on Saturday as I have heard to date. Bruff, dominant in the scrums, forward play and anytime they attacked through the centre managed to give this game away. Signs were ominous early on in the first half when they couldn’t convert massive amounts of possession to scores. When they went in at half time a mere 6 – nil up from Two David Maw penalties (having missed two more difficult ones) you wondered just when would they manage to get over the try-line. Watching you felt that if they could just put one try up on the Belfast Opposition that the floodgates would open. The second half began as the first ended with attempt after attempt on the Harlequins touchline being held back, followed by three crossings of the Belfast line that the referee was unsighted for on each occasion. A further two unconverted penalties either of which would have put the game safe, meant that a sinister dread started to creep in throughout the quite large number of vocal supporters that the six points lead was just not going to be enough. Lo and behold, on 81 minutes a kick straight into touch from outside the 22 resulted in a quick Harlequins lineout and led to a try in the corner for substitute winger Michael Willis. Out-half, Miles O’ Hagan calmly slotted the conversion between the posts to put them one point in the lead. A final penalty about 15 meters left of the post gave Bruff the possibility of pulling it out of the bag but yet again it drifted left and wide leaving Harlequins with the four points and Bruff with a solitary losing bonus point to put them in third place in Division two tables heading into the final game of the initial four game series against Malone next Saturday. Bruff: 1. David Horan,2. Cathal O’ Regan (Capt),3. Liam Herlihy,4. Alfie Laffan,5. Dermot Murnane,6. Peter Malone,7. John Shine,8. Máirtín O’ Rourke,9. Brian Cahill,10. David Maw,11. John Moore,12. Garry Leonard,13. John Malone,14. Paul O’ Brien,15 Brendan Deady. Subs from: Stephen Foster (p) (Rep L. Herlihy 61mins), Alan Bourke (rep A.Laffan) , Eoin Cahill (rep. D Mawe) , Andrew Cashman (Rep. G. Leonard) , Mossy O’ Donnell (h) J2 XV: Friendly Vs. UL Bohemians, Bruff 5, UL Bohs 5. U20 XV: The U20 squad took the trek to Temple Hill and took to the field in a very late kickoff after the shock defeat of the Cons first team by Young Munster. Bruff were very strong throughout and were leading by 6 points to 3 right up until ten minutes to go when Cons, in their one and only time in the Bruff half of the pitch managed to get over the line and convert the try for a final result of 10-6. Hard Luck to the lads on their first outing in the AIL this season. Looks like another promising year. Underage Rugby:
U18 UL Bohs 5, Bruff 32
U15 Bruff V Shannon, didn’t take place.
U13 Bruff 39, UL Bohs 5, Fixtures this coming weekend:
AIL Div. 2: Malone Vs. Bruff 1st XV, Gibson Park, 2:30pm.
AIL U20: Game deferred.
AIL J1: Friendly V UL Bohs, Home 2:30pm.
AIL J2: Gleeson Lge., Kilfeacle V Bruff, 12:30pm. James Keating Memorial U12 Blitz, Monday 27th October 2008 (starting time
10:00am). Come along and lend your support to this fabulous annual U12’s event. James Keating was the captain of Bruff RFC during the 1985-86 season, who passed
away while training on the pitch. The Inaugural competition took place the following year during the October bank holiday weekend and it has been running continuously since. In this, it’s Twenty-second year, Sixteen Under 12 teams take part in what was probably the first "Blitz" of it’s kind and has become an annual institution at this stage drawing teams from far an wide even from foreign shores. Food on the day as usual is being provided by the Keating family. There’s no better way to clear off the cobwebs on a bank holiday Monday getting ready to go back to work.

Tickets & Ticket Draws:
We have not ordered tickets for the Ireland V Canada Game.
Tickets for Ireland V New Zealand (Croke Park, Sat. 15th Nov. 5:15 pm) &
Tickets for Munster V New Zealand, (Thomond Park, Tue 18th Nov. K.O. TBA):
The Draws for tickets for these games will both take place on Monday 3rd Of November.
Only members paid up by Saturday 1st November will be eligible to enter. Applications for tickets close at 3:00pm on Monday 3rd, the day of the draw. Results of the draw will be posted on the website www.bruffrfc.com on Tuesday 4th of November. Tickets for both games will be available for
collection in the clubhouse on Tue. 4th , Wed. 5th and Thurs. 6th . Exact dates and times will be given on the website. Any tickets not collected at this stage will be immediately re-allocated to facilitate those members unlucky in the draw. Next Committee Meeting takes place on Tuesday night next (28th) at 8:00pm. Nenagh Ormond RFC Notes
Theresa Hassey PRO
Naas 15 – Nenagh Ormond 11
Nenagh travelled to Naas last Saturday for the third round of the AIL. The game was played on a fine day with a slight wind favouring Nenagh in the first half. Naas were well wound up for the game having suffered a narrow defeat last week to Queens and they started more brightly. It took a number of minutes for Nenagh to settle into the game. However when Nenagh did settle they looked threatening and the ball was freely moved from side to side, however the lack of a cutting edge meant that Naas held Nenagh out. Nenagh were gifted two penalties from sustained pressure and led 6-0 after about 25 minutes. Naas came more into the game and reduced the deficit to 6-3. The bigger Naas forwards were using runners off rucks and it seemed to be working well. Nenagh responded and started to gain more territorial advantage, however loose play and a quick decision by Naas to run the ball out the line ended with the winger kicking the ball cross field only for a follow up runner from Naas to win the race to the line. The resulting conversion meant that Nenagh were 10-6 down and having to play against the elements in the second half. The second half began mainly as the first had where by Naas were taking the earlier initative. Nenagh seemed to struggle to get out of their own half and found themselves on the back foot early in the second half. Naas were eventually rewarded with a try but the conversion was missed. Nenagh were 15-6 down and facing the prospect of coming home with nothing. To their credit they totally dominated both possession, and territory for the last 15 minutes and were rewarded by an excellent try by Vima Tudiracki who when given some space did brilliantly to get the touch-down. The conversion was missed. Nenagh continued to press and move the ball from side to side, however the Naas defence stood firm and Nenagh were denied several last gasp tackles. The final whistle resulted in disappointment for Nenagh. It was felt by everybody. Nenagh had struggled to cope with the physicality of Naas and crucially lost battles in the marginal area. Naas will value their win but that said Nenagh could have pulled it out of the fire had they played throughout the whole game, the way they did in the last 15 minutes. There is not a great deal between these sides at the end of the day, however you have to go earn you victory and Nenagh will be disappointed with the result. The last game in this section of the league takes place in Lisatunny next Saturday against Queens who have always produced young quality players, be they Irish under 21’s or Ulster development contracted players. It will make for an interesting spectacle and one that Nenagh will be very anxious to take something out of. Nenagh: M. Kennedy, C. Ryan,,F. Brislane,R. Powell,J. Quigley,C. McMahon, M. Volavula, D. Horan, E. Gardiner, D. Delaney, G. Harmse, T. Connolly, D. Corcoran, S. Harvey, Subs: J. Kingston, C. Langley, E. Ryan, M. Fogarty Nenagh Second XV: Nenagh Ormond 21 – Dolphin 15
Nenagh Seconds started their league campaign this weekend with a home fixture against Dolphin. The game started well for the visitors who scoring a try and a penalty in the first 20 minutes. However, the Nenagh pack performed very well with scrums and lineouts working excellently. We were awarded a penalty try on the stroke of half time when Dolphin collapsed the scrum. This was converted by Brian Maxwell leaving the score 7 – 8 at half time. The second half started well also and Nenagh were awarded another penalty which Maxwell scored. Then after a number of phases the ball spun wide and Maxwell scored a try in the corner, too far out for himself to convert though! He did score another 2 penalties however bringing Nenagh’s final score to 21. Dolphin scored a further try from quick tap penalty under the posts which they also converted. Final score was 21 – 15 to the home side. This was another improved team performance with some excellent individual performances also and Peter O’ Connor being named Man of the Match. A great start to the league from the Seconds who now face Midleton away on Sunday next at 2.30pm
Women’s Rugby: Training continues on Wednesday’s and Friday’s at half seven and we are hoping to arrange a friendly match for next Sunday against a division one side.
Under 20s: Fixture this week is in Lisatunny against Clanwilliam on Saturday at 12.30. Training continues on Friday nights at 7.30 in Tyone.
Under 18’s: The U-18’s were scheduled to play Fethard at home on Sunday in their second League outing, but due to a number of late cry-off’s due to the flu bug, were forced to concede the points as we could not field a full team. This is particularly disappointing for the Management and team after such a good result away to Clonmel last weekend, and leaves an uphill battle to secure a top 2 finish in the group in order to secure a semi-final place.
The team’s next assignment is at home to Kilfeacle on Sunday November 2nd at 11am, and training continues each Friday night in Tyone at 7.30pm. Under 16’s: Nenagh Ormond 5 – Fethard 3
Nenagh kept their 100% League record intact with a good win against visitors Fethard on Sunday in Lisatunny. Nenagh had the advantage of a strong wind, but the visitors scored first from a penalty given for an infringement at the side of a scrum. Nenagh rallied and took the game to visitors. We were rewarded with a try from prop Kevin Keogh after sustained pressure on the visitors’ line. Nenagh had it all to do in the second half but managed to keep ball a la Munster, thus denying Fethard any clear scoring opportunities. Under 14’s: Kilkeakle – 15 Nenagh Ormond – 5
Nenagh traveled to play Kilfeakle in the Cup on Sunday and came away empty-handed. It was a particularly inclement morning with a strong wind blowing up the field and this had a major effect on matters. The home side had the benefit of the wind in the first half, and made good use of it by running in three tries. Nenagh had it all to do in the second half. We got off the mark with a well-taken try by Nigel Flood, and were unlucky not to score on a few more occasions.
The Under 14’s take a break next week and it is the turn of the Under 13’s, with a home fixture against Clanwilliam. Kick off time will be confirmed at training.
Kilfeacle Under 18’s put in an impressive display to win local Derby!
Clanwilliam R.F.C. 0
Kilfeacle and District R.F.C. 19
At 3.00pm on Sunday the 19th of October Kilfeacle and District RFC visited Clanwilliam Park to take on close neighbours and rivals Clanwilliam we had the advantage of a strong breeze for the first half. The homeside knew that their foe would use this breeze to gain territorial advantage and that a stout defence would be essential to create a platform to build on. Kilfeacle started the game well and immediately pushed Clanwilliam back into their own 22. This was as far as the visiting side advanced as they met the Clanwilliam defensive wall, which on the day was not going to be breached easily. As the half wore on Kilfeacle began to push further and further closer to the tryline with some threatening attacks but all the while Clanwilliam kicked the ball back over their heads and gained ground was once again relinquished. With 25 minutes of the half gone Kilfeacle mounted a promising attack, which after many phases of play and an excellent team effort saw Kilfeacle touch the ball down for a try. From an acute angle the conversion attempt missed it’s target. With the half drawing to a close Kilfeacle seemed unable to make further use of the strong wind that was in our favour while Clanwilliam seemed content and capable of holding their opponents and against the elements this was deemed to be an excellent psychological advantage. Clanwilliam ended the half on the offensive but were unable to convert their possession to scores.
Winning by 5 points to 0 and with the dis-advantage of playing into the breeze in the second half, the Kilfeacle squad new that their discipline and hard work during the first half had not given them as big a lead as they might have wished for, yet it still presented them with a realistic chance of achieving a win. From the restart, Kilfeacle immediately took the game to Clanwilliam who seemed unable to use the weather conditions to gain territorial advantage. The visiting side defended well and attacked even better and in the 56th minute Clanwilliam saw their defensive wall breached. Once again Kilfeacle and District sliced through the Clanwilliam rearguard and scored a precious try after some excellent team play. The subsequent difficult conversion kick was completed to bring the score to 12 points to in favour of the visitors. The next 10 minutes were cagey, as both teams knew that the next score was vital. Both teams built good phase play but the defences on both sides held tough. In the 70 minute Kilfeacle scored another penalty and conversion to increase the margin of the lead to 19 points. The Clanwilliam team now knew that their position was a desperate one and they summonsed every ounce and mounted an inspirational assault on the Kilfeacle line but try as the might they just could not get the better of this impressive Kilfeacle team. The scoreline read 19 points to 0 as the referee blew his whistle.
After the game John Dwyer said, "We are delighted with the win, but Clanwilliam made us work for it! I would like to take this opportunity to thank Clanwilliam for a hard fought but sporting match and wish the club the very best in the future."

Under 14’s beat a plucky Nenagh side.
Kilfeacle and District R.F.C. 15
Nenagh R.F.C. 5
Kilfeacle hosted Nenagh in an under 14 cup game on Sunday morning and won a highly entertaining game 15 points to 5. This was a battle of the forwards and Kilfeacle’s superior rucking and mauling made all the difference in the end. Jake O’Halloran is back to his best and is like another loose forward around the breakdown. Jack McLoughlin and Ricky Whitney were effective in the pack and Shane O’Connell and Fiontan Murphy kept the Nenagh defence guessing in the backline. Better use of the brain and faster reactions were evident on Sunday than on the previous outing but much remains to be done on Friday nights. The under 13 cup starts next weekend so a good turnout is essential on training nights.

Under 10’s put on an impressive display.

Kilfeacle U10A vs. Thurles U10A 7 – 4 (Kilfeacle won)
Kilfeacle U10A vs. Galbaly U10A 5 – 3 (Kilfeacle won)
Kilfeacle U10B vs. Thurles U10A 3 – 3 (Drawn game)
Kilfeacle U10B vs. GalbalyU10A 3 – 2 (Kilfeacle won)
Last Sunday saw the Kilfeacle U10s play 4 matches in Nenagh. The young Kilfeacle Blues maintained there superb form to win all but one of their four games. Notable players for Kilfeacle U10s on the day were Christopher Farrell, James Dee, Luke Ashmore, Jake Flannery, Rian Doody, Davy Byron, Josh Ryan, Shane Farrell, Michael O Brien, Mark Compton, & Christopher Irwin.

Majella Ryan PRO

Clonmel 1st XV 21 – Skibbereen 1st XV 17
Clonmel won their opening Munster League game against Skibbereen but paid a very high price in terms of injuries. Playing with the aid of a very strong wind the home side led 13-nil at half time. A well worked try by scrum half John Long was converted by Morgan Lyons who also added two penalties, despite the high, swirling winds. Skibbereen hit back straight from the second half kickoff to score a converted try. All territory and possession was now with Skibbereen but Morgan Lyons scored a great try from a rare Clonmel attack. On 62 minutes Skibbereen’s scrum half John O’Sullivan scored their second try, converted by out half Kingston to add to his 55th minute penalty. The score was now only 18-17 to Clonmel but the defence held firm and Lyons added a late penalty to hold on for victory. League champions Cashel are Clonmel’s next opponents. Unfortunately Clonmel now have eight first team players injured for their next fixture, which is away to Cashel on Sunday 26th October, kickoff at 2.30 pm. It should be a great fixture as Cashel open their new clubhouse this weekend.

Clonmel 2nd XV
Clonmel 2nd XV are home to Abbeyfeale in the Gleeson league this Sunday, 26th October, kickoff at 2.30 pm.

Clonmel Underage Rugby
Under 8s, 10s and 12s travelled to Clanwilliam on Saturday for a blitz. We had a very enjoyable day and we would like to thank the parents for providing transport and coming along to support the players.
The Under 12s, only, are invited to Bruff on Monday for a blitz. The bus for Bruff will leave the club at 9 am, Monday morning.
The Under 13s will have their first match next Sunday when they travel to Dungarvan. The bus will leave the club at 9.30 am. We wish them the best of luck on their first outing.

Aidan Clifford PRO

Killorglin Rugby Club’s fundraising draw continues, with a chance to be part of history as its prize. Tickets cost €10, with the winner receiving a pair of tickets to the MUNSTER v ALL BLACKS game in the newly revamped Thomond Park on Tuesday, November 18th, along with one night’s accommodation in Limerick’s Clarion Hotel, where the Munster team will stay. This may be the official opening of the new Thomond Park and marks the 30th anniversary of Munster’s finest hour, when they beat the All Blacks on 31st October 1978. Tickets for this match are like gold dust, so this may be one of the few chances to get to see the game. For more information, Aidan Clifford (0879065927) & Jerome O’Sullivan (0873710104) or any committee member can be contacted. All money raised will go towards developing Killorglin’s new home ground.
Killorglin Rugby Club Seniors travelled to Charleville on Sunday last, in the Quarter Final of the Munster Junior Clubs Challenge Shield. They lost the game 28-6, with Killorglin’s points coming from the boot of Brian Gannon. They had led 6-3 at half time, but Charleville showed why they play at a division higher than their visitors in the 2nd half. The Under 14 team were beaten away to Tralee on Saturday on a scoreline of 22-10, with Killorglin’s tries coming from Cian Foley & Kyle Fitzgerald. The Under 18 team also lost away to Tralee on a scoreline of 15-7, with Killorglin’s try coming from captain Barry Sheehan.
Senior Team Training continues every Tuesday & Friday at the Killorglin Community College grounds at 7:00pm. New players are most welcome and our coaches are happy to introduce novice players to the game. Killorglin RFC Underage training continues on Saturday next, 20th September. Under 10, 12, 13 & 14 teams will train on the Dragon’s Den All weather pitch at the Intermediate School at 11am. The Under 16 & 18 players will train on the Dragon’s Den at 1pm. For information on any age grade issues, contact Youth Officer John Costello on 0863558185 or P.R.O Aidan Clifford on 0879065927.
Membership for Killorglin Rugby Club is now open for the 2008-2009 season. Family membership costs €50, a single membership costs €30, while a juvenile membership costs €10. The above numbers can be contacted also for more information.

Spoils divided as Shannon and Garryowen light up the Friday night sky
AIL : Shannon 17 Garryowen 17

The new Thomond Park is the old Thomond Park. Two monstrous stands won’t change that. Shannon and Garryowen have slugged it out on this hallowed ground for longer than even Frankie can remember. And they will go on doing it long after those of us who were there to witness it tonight have passed on. Because that’s what Shannon and Garryowen do.

Maybe it was appropriate that it finished even, at 17-all. Maybe not.

6 each at half time with the white-wash uncrossed, the game opened up big time in the second half. Shannon scored a try inside the 3rd minute of the resumption and their adversaries snuffed that out with what looked a match-winning try with about the same time left in the game. The kickers did the rest. Penalties were swapped and drop-goal attempts were cancelled out.

We will both live to fight another day.

A pity, maybe, that this all-important tie was not fixed for later in the season – when both teams will be firing on all cylinders. Because, make no doubt about it, as the seasons rolls on, the cylinders will start firing.

A bumper crowd was expected and a bumper crowd is what we got for the re-introduction of Friday night AIL action in Thomond Park. And with the lead changing as it did so often in the second-half, the punters certainly got a taste for this and will surely return when the remaining Limerick derbies are played here on Friday evenings. In the Shannon clubhouse before the game the alarm bells were ringing – literally. Metaphorically also, they were ringing for both clubs as each have struggled to get their season up and running, with just one win between them in the league so far. That is still the case, but the draw tonight at least moves Shannon up a few places, although they remain in the wrong half of the table.

Garryowen got the first chance to open the scoring when awarded a kickable penalty inside the first minute. The kick went left and wide and in the sixth minute, Shannon were given their chance when after a pick and drive move which made 10 to 15 meters from a lineout Shannon were themselves given a penalty. Up steps Tadhg Bennett to slot over a difficult kick and put the home team into the lead. Garryowen leveled the scores with a penalty after 14 minutes play.

A real ding-dong affair it was shaping up to be but there are two things that would have satisfied the Shannon back-room team in particular. A vast improvement in the lineout and the shoring up of their mid-field defence. Geoff will be happy that this team are headed in the right direction. In the 18th minute, the first of the games failed drop-goal attempts was Tadhg Bennett’s – wide of the mark. Then on the half-hour mark, Shannon found themselves under considerable pressure, but a huge clearance kick by left wing, Stephen Kelly turned defence into attack and it was from this that Shannon got their 2nd score. We first snaffled the Garryowen lineout, then drove into their 22, where another penalty was given for offside. Tadhg put Shannon back into the lead, 6-3.
That lead didn’t last long though as in the 34th minute, Garryowen levelled with another penalty and that is how it stayed up to the break, despite Shannon being down to 14 men when John Clogan was sin-binned for an offside in a ruck on half-way.

The pace and intensity was upped considerably in the second half as both sides went all out for a badly needed win (and bragging rights!). Not for the weak of heart but great entertainment for the neutrals. With the wind having little or no affect on the game, it was all up for grabs in the second 40 and it was Shannon who took the initiative, when after two and a half minutes, with Garryowen spreading out to contain any wide attack, Shannon went for the pick and go from the 22. All it needed was 3 and captain, Fiach O’Loughlin (AIB Man of the Match) was the 3rd, going over for Shannon’s only try of the night. Unfortunately, the conversion was missed. 11-6.

In the 15th and 22nd minutes of the half, however, Garryowen converted two penalties to give them the lead for the first time, 12 -11 and at this stage their tails were up. Although Shannon regained the lead with another Bennett penalty within 3 minutes, it was Garryowen who got what looked like the winning score, when from a lineout, they scored from first phase by whipping the ball all the way out to their right winger who touched down for an unconverted try. With 3 points in it and the clock ticking away, Shannon needed to get within penalty range, at least. This they did, and as a result of pressure on the outhalf from the kickoff, Shannon were awarded a penalty for not releasing. A sigh of relief went up when Bennett levelled the sides for the last time. Shannon did get one more chance following that, when Garryowen tried a drop goal, missed, the ball came to Andrew Finn and with a huge kick from inside the 22 to the other 22, he forced the mistake when the catcher carried into touch. Nothing came of it though and the referee brought proceedings to an end with neither a winner or a loser.

A semi-final reunion maybe ? Or Final?

A. Finn, R.Mullane,A.Thompson J. Clogan, S.Kelly, T. Bennett,
F. O’Loughlin (Capt), G.McNamara, M.Essex, T.Buckley, P. O’Brien, F. Walsh, J. O’Connor, E. Grace, D. Quinlan.
Referee: David Keane
match report: Des O Dea


DFP – Right Column – HalfPage


DFP – Right Column – MPU

Related News

Musgrave Park will host the Ireland Women’s team again next year with the 2023 6 Nations home games against France and England taking place in...