DFP Header Area

Share this MunsterRugby.ie page

Schools Interpros Get Underway

5th October 2007 By Munster Rugby

Schools Interpros Get Underway

The Schools Interprovincial Series kicked off in Donnybrook this Wednesday 3rd October, with a double header between both the U19’s and the U18’s from both Leinster and Munster Schools. Unfortunately the result was two wins for the home sides.

Leinster Schools U18 18-6 Munster Schools U18

The U18 game saw Munster kick off to a much larger pack in their Leinster counterparts in what can only be described as torrential weather conditions. Munster started the stronger with the wind at their backs and after 6 mins on the clock their initial pressure told when Leinster infringed at a ruck and centre Michael Kelleher posted 3 pts on the board from the spot kick. Leinsters reply did not take long when on 12 mins following some good movement from the backline, no 12 David Sherry broke blindside from the base of a ruck and crash over for an unconverted try.

Leinster’s bigger pack started to exert pressure on the Munster eight, particularly at scrum time and the Munster boys showed good composure under pressure to get quality ball to their scrumhalf David O’ Driscoll, his service to his no. 10 at times was reminiscent of Peter Stringer. Both sides exchanged penalties leaving the score at half time 8-6 in Leinster’s favour.

After the break Munster upped the pace and played the better rugby but they failed to stay in their opponents 22 long enough to cross the whitewash. They found themselves kicked back into their own half on each occasion, Leinster aided by a very stiff breeze. Ten mins after the break Munster were penalized for offside and the Leinster No.10 Noel Reid slotted over to make it 11-6 to the hosts. If the game had finished at that scoreline, it would have been a fair reflection on the game but in the final minute of the game on a somewhat rare visit into the Munster 22 a chip ahead from the base of the ruck was superbly collected by the replacement winger Ben Woods, who scored in the corner, following the successful conversion the referee, Jonathan Peak (IRFU) blew time.

The Munster boys can be proud of their efforts and never say die attitude as they fought hard to the very end. The coaching staff of Dudley Herbert and Peter Scott were not too despondent the game as they felt there were more positive rather than negative to take from this match and that the boys should gain from this experience and look forward to reversing the result on Saturday, October 13th when they take on the might of Ulster.

Munster Team:
Brian Cagney, Gerard Horan, Brendan Cullinan (Brian Downey 60), Brian Hayes, David O’Callaghan (Capt), Patrick Butler, John McCarthy, Ger Burke, David O’Driscoll , Craig O’Hanlon (Darren Loftus 45), Robert Guerin, Michael Kelleher, Diarmuid McCarthy, Simon Zebo, Gavin Nugent.
Subs. Duncan Casey, Finbarr Kearney, Daniel Lucey, Jack Flannery, Brian Downey, Brian Smith, Darren Loftus.

Head Coach, Dudley Herbert
Assistant Coach, Peter Scott
Assisting Coach, Tony Trehy
Doctor, Larry Martin
Physio, Paula Kearns
Kit Man, Joe Sheehan
Manager, Declan English


DFP – Right Column – HalfPage


DFP – Right Column – MPU

Related News

A new rugby initiative is seeking expressions of interest from people of all walks of life who may be interested in setting up an LGBTQ+...