DFP Header Area

Share this MunsterRugby.ie page

ODM Munster Senior Cup 2nd Round Roundup

29th September 2007 By Munster Rugby

It was a thrilling weekend in the Second Round of the ODM Munster Senior Cup, with plenty of excitement in the seven games that took place.

Conor Kilroy kicked an early penalty for Garryowen and looked intent on running up a big total as they were camped on the Midleton line shortly after; deciding to go for a try from a succession of penalties. The hosts defended heroically and managed to lift the siege following ten minutes of constant pressure.
Midleton soon got a foothold in the game and finished the half stronger, though they still trailed by three points. It didn’t take them long to snatch the lead, as Philip Morris managed to blocked down an attempted clearance and followed through to touch down. Player-Coach Jason Holland added the conversion but the lead didn’t last long as Lorcan Bourke touched down soon after. Kilroy added the conversion and while Garryowen had the better of the game, they couldn’t pull ahead and it took a late penalty by Kilroy to wrap up the victory.
Things don’t get any easier for the holders, as they have a mouth watering Quarter-Final with Shannon, who defeated Clonakilty 53-10. Two tries by Andy Finn and one each by Sean Cronin, David O’Donovan, Les Hogan and Joey Moran with Moran kicking one conversion, while Andrew Thompson added two penalties and five conversions.
Despite the score-line, Clonakilty put in a brave display and got a deserved try by Derek Dillon, with Gary Cribb adding five points from the boot.
Both Musgrave Park clubs felt aggrieved that their matches had to be played simultaneously on the back pitch, with the main pitch lying idle for the weekend.
Dolphin and Young Munster clashed for the first time since their infamous Division Two Semi-Final and there was no love lost between the clubs. Once again, the tie ended in controversy as a disputed conversion by Barry Keeshan, proved crucial as Dolphin won out 20-19.
Munster’s led 14-7 at half time, with tries coming from Stephen Carey and Shane O’Neill, with Tommy Cregan converting both. Rory McGrath went over in between these scores with no dispute about Keeshan’s extra two points.
Dolphin cut the gap to a single point with two Keeshan penalties before Micahel Knowles crashed over twelve minutes from time. Keeshan’s conversion was adjudged to have gone between the posts, much to the fury of Munster’s players, coaching staff and supporters, who were adamant that it was wide.
This decision proved crucial, as Tommy Cregan went over near the end but his failure to add the difficult conversion meant Dolphin held on for a solitary point victory.
It was an all Division Three affair in the game next door, as Sunday’s Well managed to advance at the expense of Waterpark.
The Waterford side got off to a dream start with Maurice Logue racing in for two tries in the first five minutes. Ben Young scored a drop-goal and also went in for a try right at the end of the half. A try by Tongan Tamoli Tsoli and five points from the boot of Jonathon Lynch gave Waterpark an 18-10 lead at the break.
On the resumption the ‘Well forward strength began to tell and they eventually pulled away with another try by Tsoli and one each from Rory Carroll and Eamon Murphy. Lynch converted two and also added a penalty.

UL Bohemian didn’t have to wait long to gain revenge for their Limerick Charity Cup Final defeat to Bruff, as they won out 24-12. Bohs led 12-0 at half-time courtesy of tries from Ian Hanly and Martin McPhail with Edwin Torrie converting one.
Bruff fought back with tries from Finbarr Hogan and Gary Leoanrd while Barry Cahill kicked two points, but UL Bohs were able to advance as Ian Hanly finished with a hat-trick, and Torrie again a second conversion.
Highfield eased their way into the Quarter-Finals at the Mardyke, as they defeated a UCC team that wasn’t as strong as last year’s side, although the College side are notorious for being slow starters to the season.
One of the players UCC lost from last season; Michael Essex, came back to haunt them as he went in for a brace of tries, with one in either half. Jonathon Harris and Neil O’Donovan also crashing over. Colin Mahony kicked a penalty and two conversions.
There was some consolation for the students, as Gavin Dunne put over two second half penalties.
Old Crescent also advanced after the won out a thilling encounter against Nenagh Ormond 29-23.

Results: Bruff 12, UL Bohemian 24;
Clonakilty 10, Shannon 53;
Dolphin 20, Young Munster 19;
Highfield 27, UCC 6;
Midleton 7, Garryowen 13;
Old Crescent 29, Nenagh Ormond 23;
Sunday’s Well 32, Waterpark 18;

Quarter Final Draw: Ties to be played Weekend of 20th October.

Sunday’s Well v Old Crescent; Shannon v Garryowen; Highfield v Dolphin; UL Bohemian v Cork Constitution.


DFP – Right Column – HalfPage


DFP – Right Column – MPU

Related News

A new rugby initiative is seeking expressions of interest from people of all walks of life who may be interested in setting up an LGBTQ+...