DFP Header Area

Share this MunsterRugby.ie page

News from around the Clubs – 11th October

15th October 2009 By Munster Rugby

News from around the Clubs – 11th October

Reports from clubs around the province for the past week.

Killorglin Rugby Football Club
UNDER 10’s. Killorglin’s youngest rugby players were in action for the first time last Saturday the 10th, inside in Killarney. This was a team that had only trained together on four previous occasions, this was a very big day out for the lads. Alex, Daniel, Eoin, Jack, Liam, Mark, Niall, Owen, and Ryan. First game was against a very strong Killarney team the lads struggled to keep Killarney out in a half that saw the home side, run in several trys.But like all great sides this Killorglin team were not about to throw in the towel. Second half the lads showed their supporters what they were made of ,dug deep and kept the home side deep inside their own half, this resulted in Killorglin going over for a super try, now Killarney knew they were not going to have it all their own way. And scored late in the second half. Next up Castleisland, and from the kick off the Killorglin lads were working for each other. This resulted in a feast of trys Owen Doyle and co just too fast, last try of the game came when alex boyle went over for a great finish. A great day for all and we would like to thank players and parents, for their time and support! Training continues on Saturday next at the Dragons Den at 11.00am. For more information please contact John Costello 086 3558185
UNDER 12’s Killorglin under 12’s squad travelled to Killarney on Saturday Oct. 10th to play in a blitz with Killarney and Castleisland. 26 players travelled and we fielded two teams of 11 a side, each playing 4 games. With beautiful weather conditions in Killarney demesne we saw attractive rugby played by all teams to which Killorglin contributed handsomely. We came away well pleased with 4 wins, a draw and three defeats in the 8 matches played. Many players impressed with good link and support play and some excellent tackling. Our teams were well captained by Fionan O’Sullivan and Luke O’Sullivan Griffin. Experienced players showed great development since last season and confident debuts were made by several new players including Dean McCarthy, Tiernan Clifford, Kieran Morris, Padraig Ahern, Dylan Costello, Jack O’Sullivan, Padraig O’Sullivan and Ewen Cotter (what a tackler!). Try scorers included Neil O’Brien, Cathal Doyle, Tom Eadie, Keith Moriarty, Padraig Ahern, Padraig Maher, Kevin O’Sullivan, Ruadhan O’Sullivan and Timmy Feeley. But of course rugby is a team game and no trys are scored without the hard graft by everyone on the team. So congratulations to all on a great days play and with further practice at home, school and training every Saturday we hope for many good days ahead for all the players on this team. Finally, great thanks to all the parents for their enthusiastic support at the game. It makes a difference! Training continues at the Dragons Den on Saturday morning at 11.00am. For more information please contact John Costello 086 3558185
UNDER 13’s training continues at the Dragons Den on Saturday at 11.00hrs. For more information please contact Dan O’ Sullivan 085 1390808
UNDER 15’s training continues at the Dragons Den Saturdays at 11.00AM. This age group is for players born in 1995. For more information please contact Seamus O’ Shea 087 2357805
UNDER 17’s training is on Tuesday at 17.30hrs and Saturday at 12.00hrs at the field, Community College Ground. This age group is for players born in 1993/94 For more information please contact Aidan Clifford 087 9065927
UNDER 19’s training is on Tuesday at 17.30hrs and we play Tralee at home on Saturday at 12 noon at Community College Grounds For more information please contact Jerry O’ Sullivan 087 3710104.
SENIOR TEAM Killorglin hosted Castleisland at home for the first league game of the new season., which turned out to be a convincing win for Castleisland. Killorglin played well until Castleisland breached the defence when Castleisland ran through a soft Killorglin defence to score under the posts after 8 minutes, his second row partner ran in 4 minute later for Castleisland’s second try both were converted by the number ten marksman. Twenty minutes in to the game Killorglin were awarded a penalty between the half way and the 22, Conway the captain gave Gannon the choice line or posts, Gannon backed himself and went for the posts, well struck, well scored what a peach! Score stood at Killorglin 3 – Castleisland 14 the game still in sight. Castleisland with a number of well executed phases put another two converted tries past Killorglin before the interval, to leave the score Killorglin 3 – Castleisland 28. Killorglin turned over a new sheet for the second half only to be blotted by Catleisland after four minutes with a converted try. Killorglin took solace with a try from impact substitute Kieran Crowley and converted by Brian Gannon after 35 minutes. Castleisland had the last word with another try 2 minutes from time. The final score Killorglin RFC 10 – 42 Castleisland. Some work to do this week on the training park to make amends for last Sunday. Result Killorglin RFC 10 – 42 Castleisland. Team: Brian Gannon (5), Lorca Maher, Andrew O’Reilly, Jodie Riordan, Dan O’Sullivan, John Ahern, Luke O’Shea, Colm Conway (C), Dan Flynn, Karl Daly, Tommy Moriarty, David Hayden, Chris Thompson, Bria Ahern, Enda Murphy. Subs: Joe Curran, John O’Sullivan, Mike Breen, Kieran Crowley (5), Management Team: Coach Shane O’Sullivan, Team Manager Viv O’Callaghan, Kit Man Anthony Kelliher. Training is on Tuesday and Friday evenings at 19.30hrs at the Dragons Den. For more information contact Senior Team Manager Vivienne O’ Callaghan 087 9760488.
Membership is now due for Killorglin Rugby Football Club for the 2009/2010 Season Youths Membership is €;20, Senior Membership is €;30 and Family Membership is €;50. Contact Club PRO Breda O’ Sullivan 087 2297549 or Email info@kerrysafetyservices.ie
Stay tuned to our website www.killorglinrugby.com, Twitter & Facebook page for more up coming events! New Website is currently under construction but you can also keep up to date with us on Facebook & Twitter – Killorglin RFC!
Games: Senior Team are away to Presentation Limerick in our second league game on Sunday next 18 October. Under 19’s are at home to Tralee on Saturday 17 October K.O. 12.00hrs. All games subject to pitch inspections, please contact team coaches for times and travel arrangements.
Draw Don’t forget to buy your ticket to be in with a chance of winning a trip for two to Dublin to see Ireland V South Africa November 28th!

Merchandise Killorglin Rugby Football Club has brought out its new on & off field wear all available to buy NOW! For sales contact 087 7545408.
Launch Night – Killorglin RFC will host a launch night for our new Club Brand on Saturday 14 November in the Soda Club at 9.00pm! Please do come and Support YOUR CLUB! All proceeds on the night go to the Club!

Carrick 16 Mallow 15
Munster Junior League Div 3

Games like these are hard to explain. Sheer bloody-mindedness saw Carrick wrestle victory from defeats’ claws.
Mallow will have to been disappointed to leave Tybroughney with just a losing bonus point, as for 60 minutes of this game, it was they who played all the rugby and looked like winners from a long way out.
But Carrick emerged 16-15 winners, with a late Peadar Downey try and very difficult conversion from James Wallace.
In fact it was Wallace’s boot that some how crept Carrick into the game. Carrick were 10-0 down at half time and to most observers, lucky to be, Mallow dominated Carrick in all aspects of the game in the first half. The scrum was under pressure, as was the lineout; the rucks were one-sided and the mauls never got started. Only heroic scramble tackling and some vital , but individual interventions, prevented Mallow from scoring more than the single converted try and penalty.
But if Carrick thought a half-time soul search would work, they were mistaken – Mallow took it to the home side again straight from the kick-off. In a rare foray up field and a combined head of steam, Carrick finally got some points on the board when James Wallace knocked over a penalty from 30 mts out.
But Mallow went straight back up the field from the kick-off and scored a super try in the corner. The conversion was missed, but at 15-3 to the visitors, anybody who could foresee a way back from here would have been laughed at. Worse was to follow as nearly straight from the kick-off Carrick were down to 14, when an unlucky Michael Carroll was carded for disputing a decision.
But the card possibly spurred Carrick, or the possibly it was the huddle under the post after conceding the try, but suddenly there was a bite to Carrick’s game. Peadar Downey, Eddie Barry, Jamie Steele and Eddie O’Donnell started to find gaps. The ball was finding width from a much more controlled breakdown and Carrick were finding themselves playing a lot more in Mallow’s half.
Two further penalty’s were kicked by the excellent James Wallace, one which saw a Mallow player binned for a high tackle, Carrick had managed to get to bonus point territory at 9-15, but they sensed more cold be possible.
After a lucky let off, when Mallow missed a penalty, Carrick played through the phase, cleared the ball long and chased hard, pinning Mallow back just outside their 22, the forwards won back the ball and from no-where Peadar Downey had broken Mallow’s defence and was in a foot race to the line with the Mallow winger, a race which Downey won.
It unfortunately left James Wallace with a brutal conversion kick to take the lead and he nailed it. Carrick won the kick off through John Phelan’s claim and some nice control, they again managed to get back down into Mallow’s 22 where the visitors conceded another penalty. Although missed the game was over and Carrick’s heart and mental resolve had won the day.
This defeated Mallow team does not have long to wait to exact revenge as the two teams meet in the O’Sullivan Cup final next weekend, and Carrick will have to improve on this performance to lift that cup against a very talented outfit.
The seconds had a very disappointing lose to Fethard at home on Saturday afternoon and resembled a team who had rarely played rugby before let alone played together. If anything is to be achieved by this team, more commitment is required.

AIL: Ouch, Ouch and Ouch again.
Saturday we saw the difference that serious professional and monetary backing including a squad with four Leinster players and three academy squad members can make.
Bruff started excellently piling on the pressure and attacking the Lansdowne pack and back three, and after twenty minutes seemed to have settled in very well having taken a 6 point lead following two Brian Cahill penalties. Things were looking good. The Cahill brothers were among the many Bruff players cutting into the opposition with some savage scything tackles, we were making ground around the fringes and through the middle. All of a sudden things just went pear shaped. For fifteen minutes, Stephen Keogh seemed to spend his time playing as an extra back from the lineout setups and even though Bruff’s scrum was excellent throughout the day, it just wasn’t enough of a dam to stand against the wave after wave of attacking that seemed to wash over them.
Aidan McCullen ran in their first try on 32 minutes, Healy missing the conversion to bring them within a point of Bruff, two minutes later they ran in try number 2 and Gerraghty converting to go 12 -6 ahead. A binning and the replacement of the out-half to injury and time was up and we all were praying for the whistle to allow the beleaguered Bruff team to regroup, then in injury time two more converted tries were like kicks in the gut and Lansdowne had the bonus point in the bag before the break.
And it was about to get worse before it got better.
Before the binning was reversed in the second half, we were two further converted tries down, hands on head time. Bruff to be fair, rallied and started to come back into the game, even though you knew that it was far too little, far too late. They didn’t go down without a fight and despite a knock on over the line costing one try, they managed to get a consolation score by scrapping right to the end. Two binnings near the end of the game left Bruff with thirteen players and Lansdowne managed to run in two more tries. Now we know what shell-shocked feels like. A much depleted squad heads to St. Mary’s next weekend for the 2nd round of the AIB cup for a game which to be honest we don’t need at this moment in time.
U21 SWC: Friday night was a different affair with the arrival of Cork Constitution U21’s to Bruff for their SWC game under lights. We watched a tough tight game with momentum swaying over and back between the two sides. Bruff dominated the first half, camping in the Con 22 for many periods but failing to convert this to scores. Cons were down to thirteen men at one stage, a kickable penalty for a deliberate slap-down of the ball in the middle of the field being spurned to kick for the corner by the Bruff pack, but even down to thirteen men, Con defended their lines extremely well and lifted the siege, managing to go 8 points to 3 up even while still down a man courtesy of a Simon Zebo penalty and a try by Con Full back Robert Clune under the posts. Bruff out-half Richie McAuliffe managed to block down the attempted conversion to keep the Con lead to a minimum. With only four minutes left on the clock, Bruff finished another period of forward dominance with a try by Andrew White bringing the game to a close with a well deserved draw.
Other Results:
U17 Bruff 14 Richmond 28,
U15 Garryowen 15 Bruff 8
U13 Bruff 22 Old Crescent 0
Fixtures this coming weekend:
Fri: U21 SWC, Shannon V Bruff, 7:30pm (TBC)
Sat: AIL: St. Mary’s V Bruff, Templeville Rd., 2:30pm
Sun. MSSL Shannon V Bruff j1, TBC.
For this weekend’s underage fixtures keep an eye on the website: www.bruffrfc.com
Last weekend we made the final presentation of the monies collected from the Coiscéim Eile Lokomat Appeal to the Charity Group. This took place in the clubhouse before the AIL game against Lansdowne. Jon Kenny and the members of Cairde Ceoil who all made themselves available on the night were present to see the cheque for €;15,070 handed over to Joan Ryan from the Coiscéim Eile/Lokomat appeal.

Kilfeacle’s triumph in tight Semi-Final.
Kilfeacle and District R.F.C. 15 (win after extra time on 1st Try scored rule)
Cashel RFC 15
After last week’s home win in the Challenge Cup “The Boys in Blue” were on the road again facing a Cashel in Thurles in the Challenge Cup semi-final. When you take into consideration Cashel’s sparkling form over the last two seasons and the fact that they have enjoyed the upper hand in recent meetings, you could see how Cashel were favourites coming into this game. However like all sports nothing in rugby is ever that simple to predict!
The game started in sunshine but with a cold breeze that blew down the pitch and favoured the Cashel side in the first half. In the opening few minutes both sides searched for openings. It was Kilfeacle that landed the first blow when after 7 minutes they worked a scoring opportunity after some good phase play and drew a penalty, which Shane Luby converted to points on the board. Anxious moments followed for the Cashel travelling supporters, of which there was a sizeable amount, when they watched Kilfeacle’s Pierce Breen go over for an unconverted try in the 18th minute. After 26 minutes Cashel notched up their first score of the game, 3 points on the board with a well-taken penalty. Kilfeacle are a resilient outfit and did not let this impact on their game plan and came back at Cashel immediately but were met with a stout defence that was well marshalled and disciplined. But they were not deterred and in particular the pack was putting up a fine display. Players such as Alan O’Mahony, Stephen Flood and Shane Flavin were having a large impact on the game as were James Mullane Sean Leahy, Shane Casey and Damien Gavin. Not to be out done the backs started to move the ball and in the 33rd minute they got their deserved reward when a move started by Aidan Long and Shane Luby involving Diarmuid Carr, Charles Walsh, Jack O’Sullivan and Matt Earls saw Mark Burke cut through the Cashel defence to score a great try which Shane Luby converted to see Kilfeacle lead by 15 points to 3. It looked like this would be the halftime score until Cashel score a penalty in the dying seconds of the half to reduce the deficit to 9 points.
With the wind at their backs in the second half Kilfeacle’s plan was to lay siege on the Cashel line. To their credit the manner in which the Cashel side defended has to be acknowledged as they held Kilfeacle at bay. Cashel slowly pushed the Kilfeacle side back and the next 10 minutes were played out in the middle of the pitch with both sides cagily probing the others defence but neither being successful. After 22 minutes of the second half the first scoring attempt by Kilfeacle arrived in the shape of a penalty attempt from the boot of Shane Luby however he was unsuccessful. Both sides knew that the first score in the second half would be pivotal and so it proved to be when a long distance penalty effort was once again converted by Cashel to leave the scoreboard reading 15 – 9. Cashel now enjoyed a spell of concerted pressure during which they were restricted to penalty chances. Penalty chances were enough when in the 35th minute they scored another penalty as they heaped the pressure on their opponents and when with the last kick of the game they scored another penalty everyone knew we were set for 20 long minutes of extra time.
Cashel started the first period of extra time the way they ended the last period of ordinary time in the ascendency but were just unable to breach Kilfeacle’s defence. The two periods of extra time seemed to fly by as each team were aware that conceding a score would be fatal. Kilfeacle watch a drop goal attempt sail agonisingly wide and a penalty attempt from Cashel suffered the same faith. Kilfeacle now knew that if they could hold Cashel scoreless for the final 10 minutes they would progress. Cashel played their part in the saga with 3 long range penalty attempts in the second period of extra time and each only narrowly missed their target. The final whistle came too soon for the Cashel team and with palpable relief the Kilfeacle side celebrated their hard fought victory. The display that the Cashel team gave during this game and the manner in which they played could be measured by the applause they received from both sets of supporters and their opponents as the wearily made the way of the pitch.
After the game PJ McLoughlin said “Inside in the dressing room after the game the boys were delighted and deservedly so. Cashel are arguably potentially one of the best sides if not the best side in the league this year. We finally reversed the tables and hopefully we can progress from where we are now.
Our fist team have their first league outing next Sunday 18/10/2008 away to Skibbereen, the team hope that their supporters will continue to come along and support the “Boys in Blue”.

Kilfeacle seconds draw away to a very strong Newport team.
Newport R.F.C. 13
Kilfeacle and District R.F.C. 13
On Sunday 10th of October, Kilfeacle and District R.F.C.’s seconds travelled to Newport in the Gleeson League. Although we drew we were happy with our performance. The game was a close affair which on another day we might have won, however on this day we had to settle for a share of the spoils. The selectors and coaches have decided that any players that turn up for training regularly would get “game time” and this promise was adhered too. Newport will be happy with the result and in a lively game we can’t begrudge them the victory. Overall it is a fantastic achievement for Kilfeacle and District RFC to be able to field a seconds team of this quality every weekend. Trainning at Morrissey Park at 7.30pm. Players please be on the field ready on time and you will get game time.

Under 21’s win against close rivals Clanwilliam.
Clanwilliam R.F.C. 5
Kilfeacle and District R.F.C. 15
On Saturday 10th of October, Kilfeacle and District R.F.C. travelled to Clanwilliam R.F.C. Weather conditions were dry and there was a light breeze meandering across the playing area. This was an open and fast game in which the visiting side’s discipline, skill and fitness shone through in the end. Trainers and coaches were delighted with this performance. Kilfeacle would like to extend a heart felt thank you to Clanwilliam R.F.C. for a good and fairly contested game and also was delighted to see such strong support at an under 21s game.

Under age training going strong.

Both mini and youth Rugby training continues at Morrissey Park, (the Hill), in Kilfeacle every Friday at 19.00hrs.With a primary focus on fun, safety, learning the skills and improving the all important agility, balance and co-ordination of each child we welcome back our regular players and we extend a warm welcome to any new players who would like to come and play for the Blues. The underage’s of Kilfeacle have experienced quite a degree of success over the past number of years and it is envisaged this year will be no different.Children from the ages of 6 and upwards are most welcome and importantly parents of the children are encouraged to come to the sessions, meet the coaches of each of the grades, meet the other parents and generally integrate within the groups.So see you all in Kilfeacle on Friday at 7.


Clonakilty Find Their feet In The Vale
Clonakilty 12
Belfast Harlequins 15
It was a narrow defeat yet a defeat nevertheless and one that got away. Quins did not deserve to lose but Clon deserved a draw at least and it would have been a good two points for the northerners on the road had it ended that way. The Belfast men will have gone home very, very happy with four points that they would have expected to take before running out in The Vale sunshine. At no stage after that were they sure of any points at all as Clon, as expected, put last week behind them with a performance that was light years ahead of that display.
The home side soaked up early pressure and on their first visit to the Quins half Kurt Morath converted a 40 metre penalty after five minutes. Clon continued to defend brilliantly against a very physical side and when they once again moved into the Belfast territory for a line out, Alfie Harte found Dean Landy high in the air. Michael Peter O’Regan took it on and Clon were nearly in with Mike Keohane, David Lombard and Paul Dillon combining well until the final pass to Noel O’Sullivan was forward. Clon were under pressure in the scrums but Keohane at eight was coping well defensively.
The defence was a feature and one huge hit dislodged the ball from the Quins carrier and Clon countered promisingly until a high tackle on JD O’Mahony stopped the movement. Morath again from 40 metres landed the penalty for a 6 – 0 lead. This was two scores from two visits for Clon which was a very encouraging statistic. Niall O’Connor, a rising Ulster star, reduced the lead to three before great foot-balling skill from John O’Donnell sent Dave Lombard on a crashing run. The big centre is always difficult to stop and this time he had to be stopped illegally and Morath again restored Clon’s six point lead. The wily O’Connor left three points between the sides at half time pinching significant yardage to convert a penalty chance.
He brought his side level with another penalty ten minutes after the restart and put them ahead 9 – 12 when Clon were a man down with MP O’Regan sin-binned. Good work from Donal McSweeney, Lombard and Harte gave Clon the chance of an equaliser which Morath gladly accepted. Great play from the excellent Joe Crowley and a big 40 metre run from Lombard cheered all and right to the end there was hope that Clon would take the spoils. Quins with another O’Connor penalty took the honours in the end but all that was between West Cork side and a draw or victory was a knock on, a refereeing decision or a narrowly missed kick. On the other hand only for an incredible tackle and hold-up by Harte over the Clon line Quins would have scored the only try of the game. In the end the bonus point and the vastly improved display will give great heart.
The squad was John O’Donnell, JD O’Mahony, Paul Dillon, David Lombard, JD O’Mahony, Kurt Morath, Joe Crowley, Tom Ryan, Alfie Harte (Capt), Joe Knowles, Dan Whelton, Donal McSweeney, Dean Landy, Michael Peter O’Regan, Mike Keohane, Hugh O’Neill, Derry O’Neill, John O’Regan, Eric Murphy and Darragh Lynch. They take a break this week before the massive challenge of an on fire Lansdowne in the RDS on Sat 24th. Lansdowne are having an incredible season in Leinster and are still in The All Ireland Cup. In the All Ireland League to date they have beaten Old Wesley by 33 points and Bruff by 41 points. Both of those games were away from home – what will they be like in their first game at home!? History shows that Clon perform best against the biggest opposition but they will need to be at their very best to get anything out of this trip.
J2 League
Bandon 5
Last Sunday the J2s took on an experienced Bandon side in The Vale. Matters were even for the most part in a keenly contested first half with the Clonakilty defence on their line crucial in keeping the visitors scoreless. A break by the Clon backline led to impressive fullback, James O’Driscoll, racing in to touch down in the corner. A penalty by out half Eric White put the home side eight points up at the break.
Bandon raised their game in the second half and worked hard for the crucial line-break that led to their only score of the game an excellent try from their veteran hooker. A superb Clon backline move orchestrated by White in conjunction with centres Brian McSweeney and Ethan Jennings led to a try from the alert Barry Houlihan. Bandon responded with an unconverted try, however, soon afterwards Prop Michael Murphy cut an angle which opened up the defence and scored an excellent individual try. This was converted by White who subsequently landed a further penalty to finish the scoring.
The pack, short a number of regulars, worked hard throughout and had star performers in Jonathon Toft at hooker for the first time, Brian Blackwell who dominated the lineout exchanges and David Houlihan who covered acres. Tim O’Regan and Owen Jackson helped lay the foundations for victory. The competition for places is building and all players are expected to attend training on Friday night at 7.30pm on the pitch.
Under 17s
Bandon 58
Clonakilty 0
Despite the absence of eight regulars Clonakilty played Bandon in Old Chapel in the second round of Section 1 of the U17 league. The result will have brought the squad back to earth after their excellent showing the previous week against Skibbereen when they won 29 – 5.
The score line, however, does not reflect what was in fact a very spirited performance. In a very hard working squad the players put their bodies on the line for the duration of the game and played for the jersey right to the end. The opposition was a very strong and well-organised Bandon outfit and exceptional bravery and physical commitment was essential and it was shown in the pack in general and by Jack O’Donovan, Ronan O’Mahony, Dean Hennessy and Josh Wilcox in particular.
In the backs Barry Hayes, Ruairc Courtney, Padraig O’Donovan and Eoin O’Neill were immense in the defensive line. O’Neill in particular stood out until he had to leave the field through injury. The complete squad had game time and the spirit shown in the face of such adversity will only stand to this bunch of players in the future. None took a backward step and each play contested as if it was the first and all still to play for.
The squad was Ben Howarth, Andrew Flynn, Chris Hayes, Shane O’Donovan, Dean Hennessy, Jack O’Donovan, Ronan O’Mahony, Josh Wilcox, Barry Hayes, Ruairc Courtney, Ruairi Hash, Padraigh O’Donoan, Sam Cronin, Gearóid Brennan, Eoin O’Neill, Andrew Flynn, Billy Verlinder, Connor O’Brien, Philip Hinchy and John Rogers. U17 Training continues each Monday and Wednesday nights at 6:30 Sharp. All Welcome.

Saturday 17th
Under 15 League, Clonakilty V Carrigaline, The Vale, 11.30am
Sunday 18th
Senior Seconds league, Clonakilty v Cork Constitution, The Vale, 2.30pm
Junior 2 league, Clonakilty v Dunmanway, Dunmanway, 2.30pm
New Season no 01: 13/10/09

Sundays Well R.F.C

Hi everybody,
The newsletter is back shorter than usual this week and a little late but better late than never, with Ronnie O Reilly and Eolan Allen helping out we should be back to normal by next week. You can help by emailing photos and comments to us. Please also send me any club emails you have that I might include them on this mailing list.

Have Pride in YOUR club – pay your Sub

Please Contact Mr. Tony Egar
Email: tonyegar@hotmail.com

Club News.
Munster- Benetton Treviso, Thomond Park – Limerick
There are a few terrace tickets available for this game on Saturday and also packages of 3 tickets available for the three home Heineken cup games please contact Michael Barry or rugbytickets@sundayswellrfc.com

Senior XVS 13 pts V Wanderers 26pts

Junior 1s 12pts V Dolphin 15pts

Junior 2s 12 pts V UCC 18pts

Under 21s 7pts V Waterpark 29pts

Under 19s 22 pts V Old Christians 0pts

Under 17s 12 pts V Youghal 8pts

Under 15s 25 pts V Dolphin 5pts

Under 13s No Game last week

Under 12s No Game last week

Under 11s No Game last week

Under 10s 12 tries V Highfield 5 tries

Under 9s 9 tries V Highfield 9 tries

Under 8s 9 tries V Highfield 2 tries

Under 7s 6 tries V Highfield 6 tries


17/18 October 09

Senior XVS No Game this week

Junior 1s Versus U.C.C.
Kick Off 14.30 Sunday Curraheen Road

Junior 2s Versus Ballincollig RFC
Kick Off 12.00 noon Sunday Tanner Park

South West Conference div 1 Under 21s Versus Bucaneers
Kick Off 14.30 Saturday Musgrave Park

South Munster League
Under 19s Versus Cobh Pirates
Kick Off 12.00 noon Saturday Cobh

Under15s Versus Youghal RFC
Kick Off 11 am Saturday Youghal

Under 13s Versus Cork Con
Kick Off 11 am Sunday Temple Hill

Under 12s Versus Midleton RFC
Kick Off 10.30 am Saturday Towns Park

Under 11s Versus Midleton RFC
Kick Off 10.30 am Saturday Towns Park

Engage with O2

And help your Club prosper.

IRFU/O2 Engage offers your club members the chance to give 5% of their annual O2 bill directly to your rugby club

For example, if a club member spends €;50 each month on their line rental, calls and texts, O2 will take 5% of this and give your club a cheque for the overall amount at the end of the year, which is €;30.

If 100 members in your club sign up to O2 Engage, this would raise €;3,000 for your club.

With O2 Engage, you can give 5% of your O2 bill to an IRFU-affiliated rugby club.

And since O2 makes the contribution it will not cost you a cent.

It doesn’t matter if you’re a player or supporter. O2 Engage is open to everyone who wants to get behind Irish rugby.

Please have a look at this link and sign up if you can.


“Away the Well”

To all coaches please feel free to send me any email address’s that you have from parents or coaches or players to be included and I can include them on this electronic Newsletter. I would also be happy to have any action photos or team photos you have and subject to them being ok to publish I will print them.

Please include names in photos.

Shannon Notes Week ending October 17th 2009

2 games, 2 points. Not exactly the start we had in mind in the AIB league but No one is reaching for the panic buttons just yet though. Already the new league format has proven that there is very little room for error. Mistakes are costly now more than ever and when a team like St Marys are afforded kickable opportunities they tend to take them. As it was last week, try scoring chances were few and far between and I suppose that we didn’t concede a try is one of the positives that can be gleaned from our two outings. It could have been worse from our perspective had St Marys opted to kick and goal with a last minute penalty instead of popping the ball to touch. Another 3 points would have denied us a losing bonus point and we all know how precious they are. There’s no doubting that St Marys deserved their victory, especially on the evidence of their second half performance, but after Tadgh Bennett superbly set up Mossy for his 7th minute try it looked as if we could move on and build on it. Despite not adding to this tally in the first half we still went into the break 7-3 up and the optimism continued, however an early second half penalty gave St Marys the momentum and they began to dominate. The lead was taken in the 67th minute and then extended in the closing stages. The 2nd battle was lost, but the war is long. The margin for error has been drastically reduced, but these guys have pulled it out of the fire before. U/21 player Sean Duggan was called up for his debut and certainly didn’t let the side down while another league debutant Leonard O’Sullivan came into the fray and again didn’t look out of place. High flying Dolphin are next up in the league, but on Saturday attention turns to the AIB cup when Buccaneers travel to Limerick. St Munchins College is the unusual venue due to our ongoing pitch maintenance in Coonagh. Kickoff is at 2.30 kickoffs.
The seconds fared better when they overcame a dogged Young Munster side in Derryknockane by 13-9. It was a tough game but the lads dug deep. David O’Donovan was our main point’s scorer with 2 penalties and a conversion, but it was the overall team performance that gave the most heart. Evidence of a strong panel could be seem at Tuesdays training session when the seniors and seconds had a right cut off each other in a training match, and more than a few players staked a claim for promotion. Those that don’t make the senior side will line out against Bruff in Coonagh on Sunday at 2.30.
The thirds continued their Gleeson league preparation with a friendly against Richmond and despite losing are in excellent stead for the campaign which begins on Saturday. Johnnie Bedford went over or an early tries, but soon after Richmond began to dominate the rest of the first half and lead by 12-5 at half time. The lead was stretched with a soft try after the break, but the lads rallied and worked extremely hard for Jim Hennigar’s try. The effort in trying to haul back the lead was immense but they just couldn’t get the winning score. Young Munster in Derryknockane provides the opening challenge in the league at 11.30.
The U/21’s kicked off the AIL south western conference with a superb 23-6 win away to Buccaneers. This was a major turnaround from a thumping we received from them last season and the work being put into the squad by the management was plain to see last Sunday. The return of captain Paddy Butler and others from Provincial duty saw the team that lined out play together for the first time and that probably accounted for the slow start, but once the lads became attuned to each other they began to play with purpose. Prop Brian Walsh opened our account with a try after Buccs scored a penalty and from that point we more or less dominated proceedings. Ben Sergeant began a marvellous kicking display with the touch line conversion and then adding two further penalties before the home side brought the score back to 13-6 at the break. The intensity was increased in the second half and Ben increased the lead with another penalty. Paddy Butler displayed all his speed and strength to barge past 3 defenders to squeeze into the corner and again another wondrous touchline conversion rounded off the scoring at 23-6. This was a great start for the lads and no doubt the more game time they get as a unit the better they’ll get. Next up is Bruff in the first ever competitive floodlit game in Coonagh on Friday evening at 7.30. The game takes place on the well conditioned training pitch.
The ladies and girls sides were on form at the weekend with a 100 % record from all games played. The senior side travelled to Clanwilliam and recorded a huge win scoring 9 tries and 5 conversions which was a thoroughly deserving reward for their hard work on the training field whilst the U/19’s and U/15’s got the better of St Marys. On Sunday the U/17’s play host to Abbeyfeale on Coonagh.
The Boys U/19’s were made to fight hard for their 25-15 win over St Mary’s and it was their good start that set them up. Mark Leonard slotted over two penalties and Paul Curtis scored an excellent try after Saints tapped over a penalty of their own. Paul Curtis was very much on form and scored another before the break to give us a 20-3 lead. An easing of the pace saw Saints come back into the game, but as the need necessitated the lads scored the best try of the game through Raymond Barron. This Sunday they play Kilrush in LIT at 12.
The U/14’s had their first outing of the season against Young Munster and despite a slow start ran out victors by 29-3. First half tries by Mike McGann and Shane Fenton gave a comfortable 14-3 lead at the break and the lads continued the good work with Mike crossing again along with Padraig de Brun. Young Munster pressed in the latter stages but stout defending prevented them crossing the try line.
The U/13’s maintained their unbeaten start top the season when they accounted for a very strong UL/Bohs side in a league game. Already victors over Richmond in the league and Ennis and Nenagh in Friendliest the lads kept up their good form. After trailing UL/Bohs by a try, they bounced back and James Brennan levelled the score. They took the lead in the second half through Jack O’Donnell which Cian Clifford converted. By now our lads were in control and further tries from Cian Clifford and Oisin Bernard sealed a fine win. On Sunday they head to Tralee.
The U/10’s were out in force when they played in two blitzes. The Blues hosted Bruff, Abbeyfeale and Kilrush the Blacks went to Annacotty. With Over 50 Shannon Players involved it was a great achievement to ensure everyone got to play. This Sunday the U/9’s are in action when the Blues host a blitz in LIT and the Blacks head to Presentation.
The Club Lotto now stands at €;11,200 which would be a tidy sum to win so get your tickets to be in with a chance.


DFP – Right Column – HalfPage


DFP – Right Column – MPU

Related News

Munster secured a bonus-point win over Connacht at Thomond Park on Saturday night to make a good start to the 10-game block of fixtures. Calvin...