DFP Header Area

Share this MunsterRugby.ie page

Club News Weekending 15.02.09

11th February 2009 By Munster Rugby

Club News Weekending 15.02.09

Read the latest news from clubs around the province here.

Maria O’Mahony PRO

Kinsale Ladies played Youghal on Sunday in the first round of the All Ireland Women’s cup competition. A fine dry day but a very muddy pitch after an early morning heavy shower set the scene in Youghal for another tough challenge for the Kinsale Ladies rugby team. Youghal finished 2nd in the Division 2 league and have over 5 years experience against our year 1 team from Kinsale. Kinsale finished mid table in the first season and it is a very credible position considering the competition.

The first half saw Kinsale hold off the experienced team to keep within range and on several occasions were camped on the Youghal try line. As the game wore on, it became almost impossible to identify which team was which with the amount of mud covering the jerseys! Gemma O’Connell had some fun on Sunday night trying to get the jerseys washed! Aoife Hurley at Out Half took the prize for the muddiest!!

Early in the second half, Kinsale were hit with a few injuries and the whole shape of the team changed. Youghal took advantage and the experience began to show. A couple of quick tries were duly converted by their out half and the game started to slip away. Despite Kinsale’s best efforts, Youghal ran out worthy winners but the score line of 26-0 did not reflect the effort that was put in by all of the Kinsale squad. This is a developing team and we have no doubt that within a few years, we will be successfully competing in a higher division. The enthusiasm and effort put in by all players for matches is a credit to the club.

Our next match is in the Plate competition on Sunday 15th at 2.30 against UCC in Kinsale. It clashes with the Irish international game but shows the enthusiasm of the squad!! As always, new players are welcome to join the squad. There’s no pressure to play in matches but if anyone is interested to start off training, just contact Danny O’Connell at 0876534987

1st XV – Training Day

2nd XV – 20 – 10 win over Bandon

Frank Larkin PRO

Last weekend we had only two senior teams in action, our Thirds played Shannon in the Gleeson League in Rosbrien and our Under 20’s played Nenagh Ormond in Nenagh.

Our Thirds played with the elements in the first half and took advantage by placing Shannon under pressure for the most of the first half. To their credit, Shannon’s defense was up to the challenge and we were restricted to two Brian Clancy penalties. Then on a rare incursion into our half, Shannon were awarded a penalty in a kickable position. The kick was missed but confusion in our ranks resulted in a Shannon try which was converted to give them the lead for the first time in the game. This seemed to spur our side onto greater efforts and following some excellent work by both backs and forwards, Kevin McAvoy crossed in the right corner and Brian Clancy added the conversion with an great kick from the touchline. This gave us a six points lead at the interval.

The second half was a good contest from two committed teams. We extended our lead midway through the half when, following an excellent line break from Rob O’Rourke, Kevin McAvoy crossed for his second try of the game. Despite conceding another converted try, our defense held firm and we closed out the game with a 18 points to 14 win, to earn a place in the semi finals.

Our Under 20’s played Nenagh away and were beaten by 20 points to 12.

In Under Age News, with a lot of snow and freezing conditions around Limerick last weekend, it looked like the U10 and U12 blitz with Estuary RFC might not happen. With confirmation that the blitz was on, over 25 of our U10’s and a good number of parents make the trip to Shanagolden near Foynes. Shannon RFC were expected on the day, but had to withdraw. The morning started off cold but developed into a bright and at times nearly warm Spring day.

We fielded two teams and played a total of 4 games, won 3 of these and went down 5:3 in the other. The games were fast and entertaining with good mauling and some fine open play. Overall, it was a good day and the group are continuing to improve.

They will face some stiff opposition in the coming weeks. Hopefully, we can reschedule the U10 Blitz which was due for 1st Feb in Old Crescent against Abbeyfeale, Newport, Ballina/Killaloe but was cancelled due to bad weather. On March 1st, Old Crescent U10’s host another blitz which will include Newcastle West, Shannon Black, St Mary’s and Kilrush. As always, parental support and help is requested and welcome.

Fixtures for next weekend. Our First team will play their rescheduled AIL Division Two match against Bective Rangers RFC at 2.30pm on Saturday in Rosbrien. Our Thirds make the journey to Annacotty to play UL Bohs in a friendly on Saturday at 12.30pm.

The following are our Under Age league fixtures for the next two weeks.

Under 13 – Sunday 15th February: no fixture. Sunday, 22nd February: Old Crescent v UL Bohs Eagles. KO 11am, Annacotty.

Under 14 – Sunday 15th February: Old Crescent v Newcastle West, KO 11.00am Rosbrien. Sunday 22nd February: Old Crescent v Kilrush, KO 11.30am, Rosbrien.

Under 16 – Sunday 15th February: Old Crescent v Kilrush. 11.30am, Kilrush. Sunday 22nd February: no fixture.

Under 18 – Sunday 15th February: Old Crescent v Richmond. KO 12 noon, Canal Bank. Sunday 22nd February. Old Crescent v St Mary’s (friendly to be confirmed) KO 12 noon, Rosbrien.

Mini Rugby – Sunday 15th February: U 12’s blitz, hosting, Abbeyfeale, Young Munster Amber and UL Bohs Stags. Sunday 22nd February: U 11’s Blitz, hosting Newcastle West, Shannon Black and St Mary’s.

In 2011, Ireland will play England in the new 50,000 capacity Landsdowne Road Stadium, which means that the upcoming game against England in 80,000 capacity Croke Park on 28th February will be the last chance for many to see Ireland play England in the wonderful setting of Croke Park. Old Crescent has put together a special package for members and supporters for this major event in the Irish rugby calendar, in partnership with Bective Rangers RFC, which includes stand ticket, match programme, pre-match lunch in Bective, and luxury bus transfer to & from Croke Park. For further details and bookings please call Niall Sheehy 087 2495545 or Dale Harrow 086 3447197.

Finally, another reminder that the Clubs Annual Get together, our President’s Night, will be held on the evening of 7th March in the Limerick Strand Hotel – Price €65 per person. The Strand Hotel is also offering a special room rate of €80 including breakfast for anyone who wishes to stay over. Tickets are available from Anna Murray, 085 1440000, and Michael Cunningham, 087 2571454.

Denis Ryan PRO

While the excitement from Croke Park dominated the weekend, UL Bohs still had plenty of personnel on active duty.

The U-20s played an important league fixture against Cork Con in Annacotty, and gained an excellent 32-10 victory, with a valuable bonus point thrown in for good measure having touched down six times in all. On Saturday they travel to Coonagh to take on Shannon in another vital game. The side had to manage at the weekend without the services of Mark Doyle, who has scored some spectacular tries for the 1st XV in recent weeks. On this occasion, however, he was on duty with the Irish U-20s, and he showed just what an impressive runner he is when breaking through the French defence and while hauled down just short of the line, the struggling defence was forced to concede what was the match winning penalty.

Meanwhile, the Irish Women made a bit of history themselves when beating France by 7-5, thanks to a try by UL Bohs’ Fiona Coghlan. Other clubmates in the squad captained by UL Bohs’ Joy Neville were Lynn Cantwell, Jeanette Feighery, Gillian Bourke, Caroline Mahon and Louise Beamish. We wish them well in their next outing against Italy on Valentine’s Day.

The 2nd XV, having recently beaten Garryowen in an important Seniors Seconds League, have at last learned who their opponents in the next round of the Munster Junior Cup will be, with the news that Ennis beat Newport in their much postponed game. The game will take place in Ennis on 1st March.
His many friends in UL Bohs and indeed, the wider rugby community, will join in sympathising with Frank Malone on the tragic death of his son Kevan. Kevan had played with the club at underage level, and his loss at such a young age is a terrible cross to bear. The family has our deepest sympathy at this heartbreaking time.

The club also sends its condolences to recent past President, Joe Sheehan, on the death of his brother. These events overshadowed the good news on the rugby field, and serve to remind us of just how fleeting and inconsequential results are when viewed in the context of human life.

Dermot Keyes PRO

Carrick-on-Suir maintain their drive for promotion.
Division Three Section B: Waterford City 8 Carrick-on-Suir 28

Carrick-on-Suir maintained their push for promotion from Division Three of the Munster Junior League thanks to a 28-8 derby victory over Waterford City on Sunday last.
A closely fought first half on a heavy Kilbarry pitch was a typical City/Carrick affair with very little to choose between the teams, with the hosts carrying an 8-6 advantage at the break.
The words shared in the away dressing room at half-time clearly had the desired effect, as Carrick took control of proceedings to keep their drive for Division Two on course.
Ed O’Donnell, one of the hardest tacklers at this or any grade, slid home for the visitors’ first try.
The speedy JP Wallace, who is enjoying a superb season for Carrick, was the next red and blue hooped player to touch down and stretch their advantage, as City’s effort began to crumble.
A lively affair to put it mildly (the sin bin count reading 3-2 to Carrick at full-time), Carrick kept the shoulder to the wheel while the home side’s game plan came undone.
In the 70th minute, O’Donnell scored a terrific try as he seized a bouncing ball, broke through two tackles down the wing, maintained his balance to stay in touch before running the ball in at the corner. Carrick’s advantage stretched to 13 points, but they weren’t finished yet.
A last minute try from Peter Steele sealed a vital bonus point, which Ross Clery converted to leave Carrick victors by 20 points.

A trip to Douglas is up next for Carrick on February 22nd, while City will hope to get their campaign back on track away to Fermoy. Both games are down for 2.30pm kick-offs.

Aidan Clifford PRO

Killorglin Rugby Club U16s were at home to Abbeyfeale on Saturday last. In a free-flowing & open game of rugby, Killorglin won on a scoreline of 15-11, scoring two tries in the process. The tries were scored by number 8 Peter Mullins & scrum-half Nathan Breen, with a conversion & penalty slotted by out-half Donagh McGillicuddy.

Senior Team Training continues every Tuesday & Friday at the Intermediate School at 7:00pm. New players are most welcome and our coaches are happy to introduce novice players to the game. Killorglin RFC Underage training continues. Under-age training continues every Saturday at the Intermediate School. It is not too late to join us as coaches will be happy to coach novices to the game. All are welcome. Under 10, 12, & 13 & 14 teams will train on the Dragon’s Den All weather pitch at the Intermediate School at 11am. The Under 16 & 18 teams will train at 1pm. For information on any age grade issues, contact Youth Officer John Costello on 0863558185 or P.R.O Aidan Clifford on 0879065927.

Membership for Killorglin Rugby Club is still open for the 2008-2009 season. Family membership costs €50, a single membership costs €30, while a juvenile membership costs €10. The above numbers can be contacted also for more information.

Majella Ryan PRO

Clonmel 1st XV vs. Garryowen
A game of skill, passion and pride – Clonmel travelled all the way to Limerick to take on the mighty Garryowen in the Munster Junior Cup last Sunday. The pitch was in perfect condition, the weather was ideal for rugby and both teams were ready for a competitive game.
It is true to say that Clonmel should have won this game, but at the same time were lucky to draw. However, the team that felt most relieved with the result is Garryowen. While Garryowen drew first blood after twelve minutes with a penalty from their stylish out half, Alan Kingsley, and converted a try after a lucky break with less than ten minutes remaining to put them three points ahead, it was Clonmel that was the more aggressive and consistent throughout the game. Clonmel looked a little shaky in the first twelve minutes of the game, but after Garryowen went three points ahead it was Clonmel that played all the rugby for the rest of the half. Clonmel were not afraid of one of the giants of rugby and took the game to them. Continuous pressure and good combination work between backs and forwards led to a super try from Conor Cooney in the twentieth minute. The try was converted by Morgan Lyons. Eleven minutes later after more pressure from Clonmel, Garryowen were forced to concede a penalty. Against a stiff breeze, Morgan Lyons slotted the ball between the uprights. With less than ten minutes to halftime and leading 10 points to 3, things were looking good for Clonmel. Garryowen rarely visited the Clonmel 22 in the first half, and when they did it was the result of a misplaced kick or turnover. Then on the thirty-fifth minute, even though Clonmel looked certain to clear the ball from their own 22, Garryowen turned over the ball and through quick hands and swift passing stretched the Clonmel back line to free their elusive winger Kevin O’Riordan to score a try in the corner. It looked like Garryowen were going to finish the first half the stronger side, because it was three minutes later and only two minutes remaining in the half when Alan Kingsley kicked another penalty to make the score Garryowen 11 Clonmel 10. However, Clonmel were not finished yet. After the kick-off, deep into Garryowen territory, Clonmel retrieved the ball. The ball was spun out to Neville Melbourne, who had one and only one thing in mind – a try. From far out, nothing was going to stop Melbourne from scoring. Lyons again did the honours with the conversion, leaving the score at halftime Clonmel 17, Garryowen 11.

The first twenty minutes of the second half were evenly balanced with either side being equal as regards possession and territorial advantage, and Kingsley and Lyons scoring a penalty goal each. But on the sixtieth minute it was Garryowen that showed their back line skills which saw Kevin Hartigan score a super try which left just one point between the two teams. Clonmel responded quickly and their pressure led Garryowen to concede another penalty which Lyons duly converted. It was Clonmel that kept the pressure on for the next ten minutes. Their pick and drive left Garryowen with no alternative except to concede another penalty. With less than ten minutes left in the game Morgan Lyons stepped up to the mark. It was a long way out, and the kick was always going to be difficult. Almost on target, the ball hit the upright. Clonmel’s speedy winger, John Harney, and scrum half, John Long, were first to respond and chased the ball for the touch down. But Garryowen were as quick off the mark and managed to fumble the ball away giving Clonmel a five meter scrum. Clonmel packed down and looked solid. But it was an "angel" boot from Garryowen that dislodged the ball from the scrum. In the ensuing scramble Garryowen got the intercept and ran the full length of the pitch. With only one Garryowen player haring down the field and three Clonmel players chasing, surely he would be caught. Sure enough it was Conor Cooney that dragged him down on the Clonmel 22. But the Garryowen player cleverly kicked the ball in field. The ball was gathered by the omni-present Kevin O’Riordan to go over for another try. The try was converted leaving the score Garryowen 26, Clonmel 23, and less than two minutes on the clock. But Clonmel did not deserve to be beaten, so each player dug as deep as he could for the last minute and seconds of normal time. The grit and determination paid off, Clonmel were awarded another penalty with Lyons converted levelling the score at 26 points apiece. After two more gruelling minutes of injury time, the referee eventually called a halt to the game.

A great day, a great game of rugby!! A replay is on the cards, and the fixture will be announced in due course.

Clonmel Women’s XV vs. Clanwilliam Women’s XV.
Clonmel ladies started their defence of their title against Clanwilliam in the first round of the All Ireland Cup. Clonmel dominated the set pieces with Kate O’Loughlin winning the majority of the opposition’s line outs and Natasha O’Keefe stealing a lot of ball against the head in the scrums. This set up a great platform for Clonmel to attack. Clonmel put pressure on the Clanwilliam defence from the kick off and played predominantly in the Clanwilliam half. Charlene Roche was stopped just short of the line and from the resulting ruck Edwina Murphy picked the ball and dove over the ruck to claim Clonmel’s first try. The conversion was missed by Rebecca Halahan who took over the kicking duties from Niamh Briggs, who has been unable to play due to international commitments. The second try was scored by Jean Lonergan when she was in support of Rebecca Halahan who popped the ball to Jean into space just inside the 22 to beat two players and score just left of the posts. With the conversion unfortunately missed it left the half time score 10 – 0.
In the second half Clonmel kept the pressure on when Jean Lonergan scored her second try from a ball taken from the base of an excellent scrum to power over the try line. Clonmel had several other opportunities to score but did not capitalise despite several overlaps. The final try came from yet another strong Clonmel scrum where a pick from the base was off loaded to the backs creating an overlap and a well worked try was scored to the right of the posts by Paula Spillane. The final score was 20-0. Clonmel now play Waterpark in the next round next Sunday.
Congratulations also to Niamh Briggs and Kate O’Loughlin who represented Ireland on Friday night when they beat France 7-5 in the opening game of the 6 Nations. Niamh kicked the winning conversion after a try in the dying minutes by Fiona Coughlan, to give Ireland their first ever win over France. A good international weekend all ’round!
Also both Niamh and Kate picked up Annerville Awards for rugby on Saturday night at the Minella. Congratulations to the two ladies on a great season so far and long may it continue!

Clonmel 2nd XV vs. Waterford City 2nd XV.
Waterford City were unable to field a team and Clonmel were awarded a walk-over in the Evan’s League.

Clonmel U20s vs. Cashel U20s
Clonmel were unable to field a team in the U20s League versus Cashel on Saturday.

The game for U11s & U12s away to Kilkenny was cancelled due to snow on their pitches.

Training as normal on Saturday, wrap up warmly!

Next fixture: Away to Kilfeacle for a blitz on Sunday, 15th February. We will be going by cars, so parents needed to drive. Please meet at club at 09:45, departing at 10am sharp.

Clonmel U14 vs. Nenagh U14
Clonmel played host to Nenagh last Sunday and were unlucky to be beaten by a big Nenagh team. With ground conditions very soft it would be a game that would be won in the forwards. Nenagh kicked off and Clonmel’s pack attacked straight away setting up phase after phase. Poor tackling allowed Nenagh to break through and score the only try of the half, leaving the score Clonmel 0 – Nenagh 5
The second half started with Nenagh attacking again. The Clonmel pack were working hard as a unit but the Nenagh team kept driving them back. Conal Guilfoyle led by example hammering every Nenagh player in the latter stages of the game. David O’Callaghan and Sean Twomey were both getting stuck into the Nenagh players. Darragh Foley and Joel also worked hard throughout the game. The Clonmel pack just tired towards the end allowing Nenagh in for a try. Full Time Clonmel 0 – Nenagh 15
The Clonmel team played well and the scoreline does not reflect their performance. The game was played at a very high intensity, with the backs defending well. Attacking play was difficult due to the conditions. Good performances came from Darren Cass, Ciaran Brady, Alex Sheehan and Colin at full back. Conor Tobin and Aidan also put in a very good performance.
Next game: Under 14s are at home to Cashel on Sunday February 15th. Kick off 11 am.

Denis Wade PRO

Kilfeacle and District R.F.C. notch up a good win against a spirited Dolphins team.
Kilfeacle and District R.F.C. 15 Dolphin R.F.C. 3

After last week’s rest from competitive action Kilfeacle were delighted to welcome Dolphins RFC to Morrissey Park for the fourth round of the Munster Junior Cup. Conditions weren’t ideal for Rugby with a strong wind blowing the length of the pitch and the playing surface was is excellent condition considering the battering it has taking from the elements over the last number of weeks and credit it must be given to Johnny Looby and the grounds staff.
Kilfeacle won the toss and elected to play against the wind for the first half. Dolphins started with the win and rain at their backs and their target was to build up a sizable lead, as against the wind in the second half would be a very difficult and exhausting task, they never achieved their goal but this was only due to resolute defending by the homeside and a large portion of luck. The vast majority of the first half was played in the Kilfeacle half, only on rare occasions did Kilfeacle break into the Dolphins’ 22 and when they did so they met a Dolphin defensive wall, which they could not breach. The visiting side were on top for the majority of the half but for all their possession and territorial advantage they found it very difficult to build up good phases of play and their endeavours were plagued with handling errors partially induced by the playing conditions. With 3 minutes played and the game scoreless a penalty attempt by Dolphin’s No. 10 narrowly missed its target, however the home support had the feeling that he was only finding his range. This was immediately followed by a break by Shane Looby, who was playing scrum half because of injury and impressed on the day, unfortunately his final pass went astray and with the aid of the strong wind the relieving kick pinned the homeside back into their 22. There they stayed until in the 11th minute Dolphin’s No. 10 found his target with a fine penalty conversion to open the scoring with 3 points to 0 for the visiting team. The majority of the rest of the half was played in the Kilfeacle half except for 5 minutes near the end of the half when Kilfeacle broke out of defence and lay siege to the Dolphins’ try line. Dolphin’s defence was admirable and they kept Kilfeacle at bay eventually forcing an error from the Kilfeacle team. However Kilfeacle were presented with a penalty opportunity after 35 minutes, however the subsequent kick, from outside the opponents 22 was into the wind and in treacherous conditions, was taken by Shane Looby but did find its target. Kilfeacle’s defence was admirable and they kept forcing errors from the Dolphin team, who, as the half wore on became more and more anxious to score. The remainder of the half was played in the Kilfeacle and District 22 but blighted with handling errors there were no further scores.
The half time break was short and neither side complained, as the conditions were not conducive to standing around. In that brief time both coaches communicated their message to their charges and could be heard doing so over the noise of the storm that was blowing. Kilfeacle started the second half well and used the wind to their advantage however they were still having the same difficulties, as they were in the first half. Handling errors, lost footing, misplaced passes and loose ball seem to be the menu for the day. After 4 minutes the Kilfeacle team had come to grips with the weather conditions and started to build good phases of play, some great work and breaks from Damien Gavin, Shane Flavin and James Mullane put Kilfeacle in a scoreable position when they worked the ball again after recycling quickly, speed of hands and minds from Shane Looby and Johan Bourdal presented the ball to Jack Sullivan who made a fantastic individual burst for the line to see him finish excellently in the corner. Jack once again showed his value to the team by playing in the centres on the day. In these weather conditions the conversion kick seemed like a bridge too far to all the supporters, however, no one had told this to Shane Looby. This young man maybe small in stature in comparison to the men around him on the playing field but he comes from good stock and pound for pound he has the desire, heart and ability to match any. Shane knew that kicking with this wind behind him was just as difficult as kicking into it yet he watch with an air of certainty as his attempt split the posts to bring the score line to 7 points to 3 in favour of Kilfeacle and District. Kilfeacle were now playing with a sense of urgency and belief but each time they worked their way into a scoreable position they met a very strong and resolute Dolphins’ defence who would manage to clear their lines again and again. However buoyed by inroads made the team started to build again, each time getting closer and closer to the visitors try line. On one occasion, after 20 minutes, the home side had 8 phases of play starting in their own 22. During this move some fine contributions by Ger Looby, Mark Hanley, and Liam O’Gorman set up a scoring opportunity from a penalty for Shane Looby however the wind just took it to the left of the posts and wide. A telling break and pass from Johan Bourdal, who looked dangerous every time he got ball in hand, put John Keehan in the pocket with time to attempt a drop goal which he converted with aplomb to bring the score to 10 points to 3 in favour of the Boys in Blue with 22 minutes gone in the second half. Kilfeacle were now in the ascendancy and it seemed to be a case now of damage limitations for Dolphins. It seemed only a matter of time now before Kilfeacle would score again but Dolphins had not read the script and were to provide the home support with some more nervous moments before Kilfeacle and District were to find the killer blow and seal the victory. Alan O’Mahony, Damien Gavin and Ger Looby worked tirelessly in dismal conditions, they embodied everything that was good about Kilfeacle and District on the day. So when Tom Tierney kept the ball alive and an incisive pass from an impressive Mark Hanley found the on rushing Davy Stapleton who sprinted the length of the pitch. With glory in sight he was stopped yards from scoring he turn in hope to find one of his team mates and there he was like a knight in shining armour, to repeat his performance from the last Munster Junior Cup game, Stephen Flood. Once again with the home support cheering him on and his team mates willing him on, he went over to score the final score of the game with a well taken try. To leave the final score reading 15 points to 3 for Kilfeacle and District RFC.

We would like to thank everyone who travelled on the day and all from Dolphin RFC, thank them for a good game and wish the club the best for the rest of the season. This win means we have drawn a tough away game against Tralee in the quarter finals. The "little club on the hill" has had a long and colourful love affair with this competition but on that Sunday we will need the help of our supporters if we are to progress, the team are delighted by the amount of support they receive and hope that their supporters will continue to come along and support the "Boys in Blue".

Our fist team is back in competitive action next week in the Munster Junior League at home to Newport RFC with kick off at 2.30pm on Sunday the 15th of February.

Solid second half performance sees Seconds draw entertaining battle.
Thurles R.F.C. 7 Kilfeacle and District R.F.C. 7

On Sunday 8th of February our seconds team, cheered on by a sizeable crowd put on a mesmerising second half display against Thurles RFC in a friendly match away in Thurles. The Kilfeacle seconds had been blighted with injury and misfortune and could only field a full team after Thurles provided a player, such is the goodwill and spirit in which the game was played. The squad was once again down to a skeleton crew for this game and the players that were present performed admirably against the odds. Pat Hueston said we had some absentees that we had been informed of in advance however we had some, which we weren’t informed about which was very disappointing. Thurles had an impressive and formidable pack that tried to boss the game and in the early exchanges came out on top with the aid of a very strong wind, and scored a well taken converted try after 12 minutes, scored by their No. 8 and converted by their out half. The home side were playing like a team that were well drilled and were making the visitors pay for any mistakes they made. As the half drew to a close things started to click for the visiting side and passes that were going astray were now finding their target and started to retain the ball. The team was finding its rhythm but it was too late for this half as the referee sounded the halftime whistle. At halftime the score read 7-0.
Pat Hueston, known for his subtlety and eloquence spoke to the team at halftime and with his unique mild mannered way, gently informed the team of how his wished them to perform in the second half. The softly, softly approach taken by Pat in the halftime huddle had a remarkable effect on the team and spurred them on to a solid half performance. The home side started the second half slowly and Kilfeacle and District upped the tempo and were rewarded for their efforts when Tom Breen broke and Shane Morrissey scored and converted an excellent team try. There were long passages in the second half where both teams had to defend but neither side relinquished and when the final whistle sounded a draw seemed a fair outcome.
Second team coach Pat Hueston speaking after the game said "That it took the team a large portion of the game to gel but when they did, they put together some excellent play against a very strong Thurles team, who I would like to thank for such a good and fair game and wish them all the best for the rest of the season. If we get a commitment from all the players, like we did from those who played today, and can keep this squad of players fit and injury free, we will prove to be strong opposition for any team." He welcomed back all the players from injuries and said they had equipped themselves well. With such a fine performance against Cashel the lack of turnout from some people was a disappointment for the remainder of the squad."
Players who played well on the day were Tommy Maher, Ritchie Hayes, Alan Dwyer and King Mahony who tried tirelessly in the pack. Aidan Long scrum half, Shane Morrissey out half, Packie Morrissey centre and Pat Guerin on the wing.

Kilfeacle Under 14s win against Dungarvan.
Kilfeacle and District R.F.C. 29 Clanwilliam F.C. 0

Kilfeacle under 14’s hosted nearest rivals Clanwilliam FC on the hill on Sunday in an East Munster league game. Playing with the wind in the first half, the home side opened the scoring with a fine try by Oisin O’Meara. Philip Ryan had one of his best games at number 9 and some of the less experienced players made a strong case for regular inclusion. Patrick Corcoran showed great strength throughout the game and JJ Burns was solid at full back. Kilfeacle were better on the day with the final score line reading 29 point to nil in Kilfeacle’s favour. Neil Morrissey and Ciaran Lowry worked hard in defence and Bryan Roche and Jake O’Halloran kept the visitors on their toes with constant probing runs. A full and committed turnout at training is expected with Waterpark away next Sunday in the same competition.
Kilfeacle Under 12s perform well.

Sunday 8th of February saw the Kilfeacle U10s travel to Bruff Rugby Grounds to play Bruff RFC. The under 12 squad are starting to find their rhythm because of their training and commitment and their results are improving as is their overall team play. A great and well-deserved win, in which the visiting side always seemed comfortable. The team played well as a unit and backs and forwards combined well. Jamie Hueston, Stephen Moloney, Liam Kinnane, Tom Hayes, Cian Ryan, Shane Ryan, Craig Quinn, Dillan Farrell, Cormac Slattery and Sean Cafferty all played well.

Kilfeacle Under 10s perform well.
Kilfeacle U10A vs. Bruff U10A 7 – 0 (Kilfeacle won)
Kilfeacle U10A vs. Tulla U10 12 – 0 (Kilfeacle won)
Kilfeacle U10B vs. Bruff U10B 5 – 5 (Drawn game)
Kilfeacle U10B vs. Tulla U10 2 – 2 (Drawn game)

Last Sunday saw the Kilfeacle U10s travel to Bruff Rugby Grounds to play both Bruff RFC and a Clare selection from Tulla. Weather conditions were cold but dry and the pitches were soft under foot. Despite this some very entertaining rugby was played by both Kilfeacle sides. 4 games were played and the results were very good. The Kilfeacle U10 youths are performing well and steadily developing together as great young rugby players.
Notable players for Kilfeacle U10A on the day were: James Dee, Jake Flannery, Dillon Quirke, Rian Doody, Arnold O Dwyer, Connor Bradshaw, Luke Ashmore, David Byron, Tomas O’ Murachu and Josh Ryan.
Notable players for Kilfeacle U10 Bs were: Timothy Clarke, Christopher Irwin, Brian Hally, Eoin McCormack, Michael McCormack, Ben Quinn, Eoin Kelly, Padraig Ryan, Orla Dee, Jane Irwin and Sean O Connell.

Theresa Hassey PRO

The adventure continues for the Nenagh Ormond 2nd XV who now find themselves in the final eight of the countries oldest and most prestigious Junior rugby competition, the Munster Junior Cup. It is not so long ago that we would be celebrating this as a great achievement for the First XV never mind the clubs second string. Cup rugby at its best is a battle of wills, where games are tight it is often the width of a post, a dubious refereeing decision or just pure hunger that stands between victory and defeat. This one had it all. If it was free flowing running rugby a la Ireland and France the previous night that you were after this would not have been to your liking. But if you wanted to see two teams giving it absolutely everything in a do or die cup match you got a cracker here.
The Nenagh side showed a few changes from the victory over Thomond the previous week. The coaching team of John Moylan, Fergus Austin and Eamon Dooley had some very tough calls to make and the job of marrying players who have been playing superbly for the 2nd XV all year with those from the First XV who are still eligible for this competition meant bad news for a few guys at training Thursday night. Such are the ups and downs of these situations but on paper this looked a very strong Nenagh side and taking the benefit of home advantage and the victory over the same opposition in the league earlier this year into account they would have started slight favourites in this one.
The Midleton team that arrived for this tie was a different prospect altogether however from the one which had fallen to this Nenagh team in that league game. Most notably they came equipped with a particularly robust pack of forwards and given the sticky ground conditions and wet ball it was the battle up front that was always going to decide this encounter. Despite being physically smaller the Nenagh eight went at their task manfully and certainly didn’t shy back from their bigger opponents. There were plenty of guys showing up to carry ball and make the hard yards, none more so than Ian Ryan who makes a joke of any "Size Matters" argument. He was particularly well employed as a ball carrier in midfield from quick lineout possession, a tactic which helped Nenagh make a lot of inroads into opposition territory all game. He was well supported by the likes of Keith Quigley and Brian Williams who are really making an impact since their returns from college commitments and injury respectively in the last month or so. The hard work paid dividends early on when Nenagh went ahead through a Dan Fogarty penalty but this Midleton team were to prove they were not just here to make up the numbers. Certainly for the majority of the first half and quite a bit of the second this game was dominated by Midleton. As mentioned earlier the conditions were testing to say the least and Midleton made their bulk count putting Nenagh under a lot of pressure up front, particularly at scrum time and also around the fringes in open play using their big ball carriers to keep Nenagh pinned in their own half. They also had an out half well able to keep his pack going forward with long kicks to the space behind the Nenagh cover and a well organised chase to capitalise on the pressure. As they have proved so many times this year though this Nenagh team would not collapse and despite all this pressure and for much of the game the defense held firm. The work rate of all concerned was superb, in particular from Cian Ryan and Anthony Grey who made some crucial tackles. The line was breached nearing half time however but crucially the conversion was missed and considering the onslaught they had suffered, in truth Nenagh were probably glad to turn around only a few points down.
Early in the second half Dan Fogarty tacked on another penalty to keep Nenagh in touch but the pressure kept coming from Midleton. It was a relief therefore that Midleton had a man sent to the bin at this crucial stage to take the sting out of their attack. That same player, the inside centre was giving the Nenagh defense plenty to think about all game and no doubt they were glad to see the back of him for ten minutes. It didn’t make life any easier up front however where the real battle was going on. The beauty of having had so many tight calls to make in terms of selection for Moylan and co. was that they had a very strong bench to call from when the game was in the melting pot. In what proved to be a key call, Eoin Woods replaced the tiring Jim Healy and Conor Whelan entered the fray at hooker in place of Cian Ryan. A little later on John Flynn was introduced for Steve Kileen. All three made a big impact in particular Woods who slotted into number 8 with little previous experience of the position and tidied up a lot of messy scrum possession. The fresh legs also helped the pack get the upper hand on their tiring counterparts in open play and the last quarter was played out almost totally in Midleton territory. Despite all the efforts however the Midleton line could not be breached. Damien Dunne got closest but was just edged into touch in the scoreboard corner. The only way ahead was through the boot and thankfully the pressure in attack did yield two more penalties which Dan Fogarty dispatched nervously.
A four point lead is a dodgy one however and Midleton did everything possible to get back up field to get a match winning try but this Nenagh side had fought all day and were simply not taking no for an answer. The defense held firm and the game ended to joyous cheers from the Nenagh support and desolation for the Midleton players. They were in this game right to the finish and looked very much like succeeding for long periods of it but for them the road ends here. I’m sure they will be well primed for revenge when the clubs meet at senior level later in the season.
As for Nenagh they march on to a quarter final clash away to the winners of Clonmel and Garryowen who drew 6-6 at the weekend. A daunting prospect but one this team will relish. The heart and determination shown to defeat a much bigger team here will no doubt pay dividends later. What was notable here as well as the superb workrate of all involved was the danger Nenagh showed when putting the ball wide with both Dave Corcoran and Alan Jackson looking very dangerous when in space. This game didn’t throw up many opportunities for them due to the conditions but that quarter final clash later in the season, on what should be dryer sod, may be the perfect platform for them. In any case this team will show no fear, regardless of the opposition, and the club and all its supporters can look forward to the next game in this journey with great anticipation. Well done to all concerned.
Team: Steve Kileen, Cian Ryan, Damien Dunne, Jim Healy, Brian Williams, Ian Ryan, Anthony Grey, Keith Quigley, Eoin Gardiner, Dan Fogarty, Martin Fogarty, Paudie Breen, Alan Jackson, Kevin O Meara, David Corcoran. Subs: John Flynn, Conor Whelan, Ian Foley, Eoin Woods, Dave Sherlock, Brian Maxwell, James Moloney, Robbie White

Nenagh 38 – Shannon 5

Nenagh overcame Shannon last Sunday in Lisatunny in the first round of the All-Ireland Cup. The home team got off to a great start forcing Shannon to knock-on from the kick-off with a good chase and a strong tackle. From the resulting scrum, Nenagh broke up the blind side, recycled the ball well for two or three phases then fed it out to the backs. A perfectly timed pass out to centre Kyla Maxwell saw her step her way through two defenders then spin out of the covering defence to score under the posts. The next try came shortly after from out-half Genevieve Rowland. The Nenagh pack carried the ball strongly and worked their way into the Shannon 22 in just a few phases. With their defence stretched, Rowland exploited the smallest of gaps in the mid-field to break through. With three Shannon defenders trying to wrap her up near the try line, Rowland powered over, turning well to touch the ball down.
Shannon worked their way back into the game by kicking for field position. With the slippy ball causing everyone some trouble they camped inside the Nenagh 22 for about 10 minutes. However the home defence held firm and a good clearing kick from full-back Laura Nugent got Nenagh out of the danger zone. Nenagh got on the score sheet again when they won a Shannon line-out. The ball was spun wide to Sandra Williams at out-side centre, and after handing off her opposite number, she used her pace to round the defence and run in for a try.
Williams got on the score sheet again before half-time. Shannon continued to kick most of their possession, and when Genevieve Rowland took a quick 22 drop-out to herself, the Shannon defence were caught napping. She off-loaded beautifully to Williams who had a clear run all the way to the try line. With Rowland converting all 4 tries, the score was 28-0 at the break.
The game was moved up to the back pitch for the second half and Nenagh seemed to lose their shape and focus. It took them 10 or 15 minutes to settle back into the game and they were very disappointed to concede a try. Shannon kicked into the corner again and the Nenagh backline looked to have covered across well for an unlucky bounce to allow Shannon touch town in the corner. Nenagh have worked hard on their defence all season and this is the first try they have conceded at home.
Nenagh were now determined to close out the game. Rowland kicked well for territory and Nenagh retained possession phase after phase, not allowing Shannon any further chances. With excellent ball carrying from forwards Paula Ryan and captain Louise Roberts, Nenagh worked their way close to the line. With the scrum half caught in a ruck, winger Mary Tuidraki fed a lovely pass out to Rowland who could not be stopped from close range. Nenagh continued to press forward and the final score came when Louise Roberts spotted poor defence from Shannon and she exploited the narrowest of blind sides to run in untouched from around the 22.
Team: Laura Nugent, Mary Tuidraki, Sandra Williams, Kyla Maxwell, Denise Williams, Genevieve Rowland, Jennifer Carter, Sarah Brennan, Louise Roberts (captain), Bob Ryan, Orlagh Shanahan, Aisling O’Neill, June Whelan, Paula Ryan, Maeve Darcy, Anne-Marie Duke and Niamh Hogan.
Nenagh now face top division one side UL Bohs in the second round of the cup. This match is again at home next Sunday. Training continues Wednesdays and Fridays at 7:30. New players always welcome, contact Louise on 087-2201596.

Nenagh 24 Old Crescent 12
Impressive Performance by Nenagh 20’s

Nenagh completed a league double over Limerick rivals Old Crescent at Lisatunny on Saturday last and were good value for their bonus point win. The performance was all the more pleasing given that it had been a month since their previous match due to postponements because of the weather. The Limerick side were a bigger team all over the park but Nenagh had the desire and hunger for battle that Old Crescent could not match. Crescent started strongly and camped inside the Nenagh twenty two for the first quarter but the Nenagh defence was outstanding and they lifted the siege when awarded a penalty for Crescent holding on. Nenagh’s first score came from quick hands by the backs to put full back Robert Duff in space on the touch line and he beat the cover to score out wide. The conversion was missed but Nenagh were back again before half time to score on the other wing, with Shane Quinlan slipping his marker to speed away to score. The conversion was missed and Crescent sought to hit back before the break when they had a three on one overlap but Shane Quinlan came off his wing to smother the ball carrier and the chance was lost. The Nenagh pack played a tighter game against the wind in the second half and scored two further tries through Jamie Quigley with Dan Fogarty converting both.Old Crescent got a consolation score in injury time which was also converted. Nenagh host Clonmel at Lisatunny on Saturday next at 2pm and all support is welcome. The players and management would like to wish the team Captain Peter O Conner a speedy recovery from his knee operation and hope to see him back in action early next season.
Squad: Kieran Mc Cann, Adrian Lewis, John Coffey, Josh Fletcher, Andrew Kelly, Jamie Quigley, Michael Lynch, Michael Harding, Jeff Mc Donald (Capt), Dan Fogarty, Shane Quinlan, Gavin Mc Avinchey, Darren Ahern, Eddie Gleeson, Robert Duff, Sean Hayes, David Cleary, Michael Long, Fergal Hayes, Keith Purcell

Our under 8, 10 and 12 teams were due to travel to Fethard on Sunday last, but the games were posponed due to the weather conditions.

Under 14’s
Clonmel – 0 Nenagh Ormond – 15

Our Under 14’s travelled away on Sunday last to play Clonmel in the 2nd round of the East Munster League. Having already accounted for Dungarvan in the 1st round, it was very important to keep up the winning momentum and this is exactly what the Nenagh lads did! The match was played in soft underfoot conditions, which lent to a "keeping the ball up the Jumper" style of play.
Both teams were getting to know each other in the first 15 mins, until Nenagh broke out of their own defence after pressure from Clonmel, to let the ball through the hand and with some good play
From the backs led to the first try by Nigel Flood in the corner. Half time Nenagh winning 5-0.
The 2nd half saw Nenagh keep their hands on the ball from the kick off with some displays of ball retention and driving, the forwards drove over for our 2nd try taken by Conor Leo. One aspect of the
Game that Nenagh really had control of was the tackling, which put immense pressure on Clonmel as every time they got the ball there was a Nenagh player there to disrupt their play.
With 5 mins remaining, Ormond again turned the ball over mid field and drove down the field, where Kean Commerford drove over for our last score of a very competitive game.
All players gave 100% for the duration of the game, and their prize was another strong win. Many thanks to parents who drove players to the match and lent their support, this is always needed.
Training Wed and Fri evening @ 7pm in Tyone.

Under 16’s:
Nenagh Ormond – 0 Waterpark – 12

Nenagh choose to play against the elements in the opening half and competed on an even footing with Waterpark in the first quarter.
Some astute tactical kicking by the visitors no. 10 gave the visitors territorial advantage for the majority of the half , however they rarely threatened the Nenagh line. Waterpark scored 2 ties in the first period , both similar in that Nenagh took the ball into contact , lost possession with Waterpark breaking away to score.
The second period was a very even affair with the play fiercely contested. Nenagh failed to domitate territory during the third quarter and it was only in the last 10 minutes that they succeeded in exerting pressure on the visitors line. To Waterparks credit they defended very well and ran out deserving winners.
This finishes the U16 interest in the league competition, however the first outing in the cup competition is due next Sunday at home to Thurles.

Under 18’s:

Nenagh U-18’s were due to play Fethard in their final game of the current league campaign, but as Fethard were unable to field, Nenagh were awarded the points. This means that the team has now qualified for the East Munster League Final, where they will play Kilfeacle RFC. The time, date and venue for this match has not been set at this point, but will hopefully be played in the next 2-3 weeks.
The team are scheduled to play Clanwilliam this weekend in the first round of the East Munster Cup, and training continues as normal on Friday evening at 7.30pm in Tyone.

Richard Leonard PRO

Again very little on the Adult team front as regards rugby this week, weather playing havoc yet again with fixtures all around the country but in any case some rugby took place.

The U20’s hosted Corinthians in Kilballyowen on Saturday and went down again by 25 points to 7 against a fairly strong Corinthians side who had made a weekend of it and had stayed in Limerick city for the duration.

On Sunday Bruff’s under 13 side had a great run-out in their friendly against Abbeyfeale. Scores came from Alex McAuliffe (Try), Philip O’ Connell (Try) and (Wait for it) James Doherty (Try) and Tom O’ Dwyer (Try and 2 conversions). I really don’t know what the world is coming to. I know I keep slagging them off but the two coaches Tommy and Liam have really produced a great team here and are due great credit (notwithstanding the fact that their two sons are scoring nearly every week.) Still forwards producing good backs is a relatively new thing, just ask Ger and Keith Earls. Halftime score in this game was 17 – 5 to Bruff, Abbeyfeale running in one try before the break and the game finished up with a final score of 24 points to 22, Abbeyfeale managing to claw back a lot of ground after a raft of substitutions by the Bruff management. Well done on a good run-out guys and I’ll take the hiding… These lads have lost only one game in their league campaign this season and have two games left to play.

In the U14 game in Newcastle west Bruff were on the wrong side of a final score of 17-12.
The NML U16 game between Bruff and UL Bohemians was a tough hard encounter, Bruff running out eventual 19 points to three winners. Scores from Darren Sheehy (T) Garry Boyce (T) Mark O’ Connell (T & 1 Conv) and Owen Webb O’ Rourke (Conv).
This weekend sees a return to AIL Rugby with the re-fixed game against Wanderers taking place in Merrion Rd. at 2:30pm Saturday. Their game against UCC didn’t take place on Saturday last so the table is a bit all over the shop, but hopefully by the time the 6 nations is over things will have caught up and we’ll know what way things are going to pan out for the final leg of the campaign. Again Supporters bus is going so contact Lil Cahill is you wish to travel.

Sat 14th Feb.
AIL 1st XV: Wanderers V Bruff, 2:30pm Merrion Rd.
J2 McInerney Cup: St. Senans V Bruff J2, Shannon 2:30pm.
Sun. 15th Feb:
MSSL, Young Munster V Bruff J1, 2:30 pm (Time TBC) watch the website.
Sun. 15th Feb.
U14 Bruff V Ennis 11.00am
U15 Bruff V Old Crescent or UL Bohs 11.30am
U16 Young Munster V Bruff 12.00am Derryknockane
U18 Garryowen V Bruff 11.30am

Please keep an eye on the website for changes in fixtures or for cancellations. Please note that all underage coaches have a coaching course in the Club on Wed. night week (18th Feb.). This course by Eoin Cahill and Noel O’ Meara will consist of both inside and external work. Please confirm the time with John O’ Grady or with Eoin over the coming weekend.
Next Monday night week (23rd) sees the injured players fund draw taking place in the clubhouse, again these tickets are for a good cause so please contact one of the players or the committee for tickets if you haven’t received any.
Next Committee meeting takes place in the clubhouse on Monday night at 8:00 pm.


DFP – Right Column – HalfPage


DFP – Right Column – MPU

Related News

The majority of the Munster squad are training at the HPC this week as the internationals joined the pre-season training programme. Preparations for our opening...