DFP Header Area

Share this MunsterRugby.ie page

Club News Weekend 8/3

10th March 2009 By Munster Rugby

Club News Weekend 8/3

Club Reports

Slender win For Shannon up North
Ballymena 6 Shannon 7

Endure may well be too strong a word, but there certainly was some really anxious moments for Shannon in the last few minutes of normal time as they were defending their slender 7-6 lead. Ballymena were pounding the gain line with brute force seeking any opportunity that would give them a late lead. Through their foraging forwards they engineered a drop goal chance for Tommy Woods, but with a minute of normal time remaining, the out half’s effort drifted left .It was all a bit rushed from the home side and had they realised that there would be a further 10 minutes played beyond the regular 80, they may well have shown a bit more patience and snatched a win they scarcely deserved.
During those extra 10 minutes Shannon showed great spirit and determination as they forced the play back into Ballymena’s territory and wound down the clock with energy sapping forward drives. They may well be a bit disappointed that they left this a bit too close for comfort, but in increasingly deteriorating conditions, scoring chances were hard to come by and the combination of solid defence and Stephen Kelly’s first half try was enough to give them a justified win.
Ballymena had little in the way of penetration beyond their pack and more often than not Shannon forced them backwards when they attempted to move the ball wide. The conditions suited the tight game which transpired and Shannon matched the home side’s physicality with some power play of their own.
Two early try scoring chances for Ballymena was as close as they came to crossing Shannon’s line , but both were dealt with and it was the visitors who looked most likely to cross the whitewash.
The opening and only try of the game was a combination of forward power and slick back play. 22 minutes had elapsed when prop Killian O’Neill barged his was forward before he was eventually hauled down. Slick passing and good running lines ensured the ball found its way to Stephen Kelly whose chip and chase outsmarted the defence and the winger crossed for his second try in as many games. Bennett landed the difficult conversion with the wind in his face, and for a period after that Shannon looked as if they would add to their score.
A poor pass in one instance denied them a certain try and then another Kelly chip and chase looked good only for the referee to award a knock on mush to the relief of the home side.
Ballymena could have counted themselves fortunate not to be heading to the break further behind, and their opening points came in the 39th minute when Shannon conceded their only penalty of the half. Craig Woods slotted over and the 4 point margin was slightly generous to the home side.
The resumption saw three penalty misses, one from Ballymena and two from Shannon before the scoreboard was changed. With the wind at their backs Shannon tried to play the territory game, but from conceding a single penalty in the first half, referee Alan Rogan pinged them 8 times in the second half, with at least half of those considered dubious by the visitors. That restricted their attacking potential and Ballymena ploughed on with No.6 Sam Mc Kinney making the hard yards for his side.
Another Craig Woods penalty in the 68th minute gave Ballymena a glimmer of hope and the tension then began for Shannon. As they defended stoically it looked as if Mr. Rogan would eventually award a penalty in a kickable position, but to their immense credit Shannon’s discipline held firm and Ballymena were left with only the drop goal route.
An obviously delighted Shannon Coach Geoff Moylan was full of praise for his team afterwards, "I think we thoroughly deserved our win today. The boys worked extremely hard, especially in the second half and to come away from a difficult venue like Ballymena with any sort of a win is a great achievement. We probably should have stretched our lead in the first half , but the conditions probably held us back a bit" Moylan paid special tribute to the sizable Shannon support that made the trek" We had over 60 people here today , with most of those travelling up the night before, which given the current climate was brilliant. Sometimes in games, it’s the little things that get you over the line, and I have no doubt that the effort our supporters made was a big factor in our win today and I can’t thank them enough"
D. O’Donovan, R.Mullane, F. McLoughlin J. Clogan, S.Kelly T. Bennett, F. O’Loughlin (M.O’Driscoll), K. O’Neill, S.Hayes (J.Cronin), K.Griffin, P.O’Brien (P.Loughnane) F. Walsh, E.McLoughlin, J.O’Connor, D. Quinlan.
R.Johnson, N.Hall, S.Mallon, M.Burke, J.Nichol, T.Woods, C.Woods, B.Young, S.Douglas(A. Ferguson), S. Shawe, I.Caldwell, Bob Young, S.McKinney, D.Bradford(A.Couples), T.Booth
Referee; Alan Rogan (LAR)

The rain was belting down sporadically, the pitch conditions were deteriorating and we were defending a barrage of black jerseys in our own ’22 whilst hopeful that we could maintain our 1 point advantage. A couple of minutes of normal remained in our AIB league game against Ballymena and we were almost expecting the referee to raise his arm for a penalty against us; after all, we have been in a similar situation this season where a late penalty denied us. Thoughts of having to travel 6 hours back home in defeat were not altogether palatable, and that was only those on the sideline. Whatever the disposition of our brilliant supporters was, it wasn’t transferred to the players and in the face of the late onslaught, discipline was immense, endeavour sublime and the threat quashed with Ballymena’s only route to points a missed drop goal. What led us to believe a penalty would be awarded was the simple fact of numbers. The first half saw the lads concede only a single penalty throughout and that was in the 39th minute when Ballymena scored their first points. But there then seemed to be different interpretations applied and our penalty count was increased by 800% and thus the anxious moments. After the 80 minutes had elapsed, we than had to endure a further 10 minutes of injury time, but as the clock ticked we finished in the ascendency and when Donny kicked to touch , the relief was palpable.

It should never really have been that close though. Ballymena prodded and poked early in the first half, but after two try scoring opportunities were snuffed out, they never threatened our line. I suppose the same could really be said about our second half, but during the opening half we could possibly have extended our lead beyond Stephen Kelly’s superb try and Tadgh’s equally brilliant conversion. The heavy conditions may well be blamed for squandered opportunities and in such a close contest they could well have counted dearly. As it turned out Ballymena could only manage 2 penalties and while we didn’t add to our first half tally, our seven points was enough to increase our unbeaten run in Eaton Park to three successive games. It’s a win that sees us take a step closer to guaranteeing the crucial top eight spot, but we now have our sights set on maintaining our top four playoff place. Several factors combined to ensure we won last Saturday; the players grit and determination, especially in the closing stages, but without doubt a big factor in getting us over the line was the fantastic support that travelled to Ballymena. Over 60 people made the journey with most making the overnight trip. There was a great buzz around the hotel where players and supporters mingled Friday evening and Saturday morning and there was a definite a sense of responsibility felt by the players to our supporters before and during the game. It was the first supporter’s trip of its kind for the club and it was a tremendous success. The brainchild of Ger Mc Closkey, our assistant secretary deserves immense credit for his efforts and of course he wasn’t alone in his organisation, and on behalf of the management and players, a big thank you to everyone that travelled. At the time of writing are awaiting the outcome of an appeal regarding the rearranged game with Cork Con. Fixed by the IRFU for St Patricks day, we are hoping to reschedule it until March 31st, a day slightly more suited to the amateur ethos of club rugby. Check out the website for confirmation from around 3pm Thursday.

The good news didn’t stop up North at the weekend. On Sunday the U/16’s won their league by virtue of a 15 nil win over St Marys. It was a performance indicative of their season thus far where they dominated their opposition from start to finish. Mark White crossed for one of the tries with another coming from the ever impressive Mark Leonard. Comfortable wins throughout their campaign paved the way for Sunday’s clincher and it’s a great reward for both the players and the management for their efforts so congratulations to all involved.

Staying with underage the U/18’s recorded another win in the league, this time against Bruff. It was a close affair with little to choose between the sides but another excellent performance from Ben Sargeant lead the way for the sides 9th successive win.

Another unbeaten side, the 14’s played their part in a tight game against Garryowen in Dooradoyle. In the end there was only a single score between these two fine sides and it took a cracking try to break the deadlock on the second half. A superbly weighted cross fielded kick from Ronan Mc Kenna was gathered perfectly by Robert Whyte who dived to the corner. The lads had to withstand some fierce Garryowen attacks during the remainder of the game, sneaking in the odd chance for themselves, but held out for a magnificent win. Only one game remains in their league which takes place this Sunday against Old Crescent in Coonagh.

The only other underage fixture sees the U/13’s travel to Newcastlewest.

On Sunday the seconds played out an 8-8 draw with Young Munster in the league. The conditions were difficult with the strong wind having a major bearing on the proceedings. The draw was probably a fair enough result in the end, with both sides missing opportunities to break the deadlock in the final quarter. Frankie Daly opened the scoring for us early in the game and an Eamon Lane penalty gave us an 8-0 lead before Young Munster responded with their own try and penalty and both defences were tested throughout the game, but each held firm. This Sunday the seconds play Highfield in Coonagh at 2.30.

The Thirds Webb Cup game against ST Marys was called off and has been rescheduled for this Saturday in Coonagh at 2.30.

On Monday night next the U/20’s hold a fundraising Race Night in the club house starting at 8pm, while the presidents night takes place on April 3rd. Tickets for this great club night are €50 and are available from Martin Clancy , Gerry Ryan(086 0618333) and Tommy Rowan (087 7979574)


Division Three Group B: Carrick-on-Suir 9 Galbally 0

It’s been quite some time since a junior league rugby match was advertised in shopfronts in Carrick-on-Suir.

While the local Musical Society was packing the Strand Theatre thanks to its latest production, Carrick-on-Suir RFC was getting ready to take centre stage at Tybroughney.

Galbally, the only club to take Carrick’s scalp in league action this season, the only club that stood between Carrick and Division Three Group B success, were coming to town.

The advertising certainly worked, as the teams took to the field before the largest attendance at a Tybroughney fixture in several seasons.

And despite the game not yielding a single try, Carrick didn’t fluff their lines, emerging 9-0 winners on Sunday afternoon last.

Referee Ger English’s final whistle was greeted with great acclaim by the hosts who have won their section with a game to spare.

But they will look to use their last ‘regular season’ match away to Dungarvan as a key element to their play-off preparations.
Given the blustery conditions, it was never likely that the teams would provide the large attendance with a free-scoring try fest and that’s exactly what transpired.
But the well-insulated sideliners witnessed what the faithful Carrick fan has been treated to all season: complete commitment, the utmost honesty of effort and tremendous on-field togetherness.
With breaks at a premium and skip passes virtually out of the question due to the wind, it was always going to take something special to open the scoring.
And that prophecy came to pass through a drop goal landed by prop Eddie Barry. It was, remarkably, the only score of a closely contested first-half.
In a game as tight as this, it was vital that chances were taken when such opportunities arose. And, as they’ve done all season long, Carrick made those chances count to match-winning effect, thanks to two second half penalties off the boot of Ross Clery.
On a day when Galbally had to win and deny Carrick a bonus point, the visitors failed to even score due in no small part to the big hits provided by Barry, Adam O’Loughlin and Mick Carroll. For this was a day when Carrick were not to be denied.
As Group winners, Carrick have crucially secured a home tie in their play-off semi-final, and with an unblemished home record, they will head into that tie with great and deserved confidence.
Just a few weeks short of the first anniversary of Club President Johnny Drohan’s sad passing, a man who would have revelled in this season’s outstanding efforts, Carrick-on-Suir remain on course for promotion.
The finishing line is almost in sight – but there’s some serious rugby to be played yet.

Final Score: Kinsale 3 Ballincollig 13

Ballincollig and Kinsale went head to head in the Munster Junior 1 Division 2 decider in Tanner Park yesterday. Two very evenly match teams took to the field, both pushing for a Division 1 promotion. While Kinsale needing to win with a bonus point all Ballincollig needed was two a win to secure their promotion to the top flight.

Kinsale started the game very well with the wind at the backs. They dominated most aspects of the game early on but failed to convert on the pressure applied with Ballincollig winning a large amount of turn over’s in open play and at the set piece. Kinsale’s pressure did yield 3 points midway through the first half with out half, Fraser Hodgson kicking a penalty from the left flank. That was the only score of the first half with both teams trading missed penalties before the half time whistle.

The second half was much of the same story, but Ballincollig quickly upped the ante and after a period of sustained pressure broke the Kinsale defence and went over for their first try, which was not converted. They soon were awarded a penalty for indiscipline under the posts and made the score board 8 – 3 with 20minutes left in the game. Ballincollig kept the pressure on Kinsale for the rest of the game and finally got their reward with another try in the left corner which brought the game to a close.

Kinsale still have a chance of promotion based on the remaining league results but may have to fight it out in the Division 2 League next year, while Ballincollig are the first of the teams to secure promotion and go on to play in the top flight next season.

Kinsale RFC Forthcoming Fixtures

Next Sun 15th 1st XV away to Bandon in the County Cup, Kick off at 2.30

2nd XV are at home in J3 Cup v Bandon – kick off at 12.00

Sunday 22nd

1st XV away to Douglas – O’Neill Cup semi final, kick off 2.30

This cup has a close association with Kinsale as it was originally presented to the Munster Branch by Eamon O’Neill’s grandfather who was a T.D for West Cork and Leas Camharaile

Good luck Kinsale!

Kilfeacle and District R.F.C. lose in the Munster Junior Cup away to Tralee.
Tralee 8, Kilfeacle and District 6

Kilfeacle and District R.F.C. hopes in the league having been extinguished we now turned our attention to the Munster Junior Cup Quarter Final against Tralee RFC, who only lie one point behind us in the league. At this time of the year with the weather being the way it is and having to travel such a distance it is these types of encounters, performances can easily deteriorate into mediocrity, priorities change and enthusiasm wane, however this was not the case in Tralee as both teams served up a gem of a game, after all it is the Munster Junior Cup we are talking about. To say the weather was bearable would be an injustice to both sides, as driving wind and rain had a large bearing on the game. In this recessionary times there was plenty of work for welders if the were willing to work on brass monkeys. Kilfeacle won the toss and elected to play against the wind for the first half. Tralee started with the wind and rain at their backs and the target was to build up a sizable lead as against the wind in the second half would be a very difficult and exhausting task. A large portion of the first half was played in the visitors’ 22. But for all their possession and territorial advantage the home side found it very difficult to build up good phases of play and their endeavours were plagued with handling errors partially induced by the playing conditions. Tralee R.F.C. started this game like their lives depended on it. When they went 3 points up and had declared their intent after they scored a well-taken penalty. With a kicker who was in impressive form they had the visiting team pinned back and were unlucky not to be further ahead. However through a combination of luck and staunch defending this was the final score of the half to have the halftime score reading 3 points to 0 for the homeside.
At the start of the second half the travelling supporters were expecting Kilfeacle to come out all guns blazing and put the game to bed. This they tried but the Tralee defence was admirable and they kept forcing errors from the Kilfeacle team, who, as the half wore on became more and more anxious to score. In the first 6 minutes of the half last ditch defending by Tralee stopped what seemed certain tries. In the 9th minute Kilfeacle scored a penalty from a good 40 yards out to notch up their first score of the game. The omens were good having drawn level so early in the half with the wind behind them but as Kilfeacle were to learn, Tralee were not going to roll over and lose their chance to make it to the semi-final of the Munster Junior Cup for the first time in 32 years. The following restart was to provide the start of a period of time, which was pivotal to the rest of the game. Tralee’s out half put up a monstrous kick which was held up by the swirling gale and eluded everyone’s grasp to bounce on the halfway line, the on rushing Tralee player kicked the ball forward past the Kilfeacle guard to gain valuable ground. Once Tralee had gained this ground they did not relinquish it easily, the next 7 or eight minutes were played in the centre of the park and the Kilfeacle team seemed to be happy just to defend and soak up the pressure. The game needed one team to kick-start it again and that team was Tralee. After some excellent work at the breakdown by their pack, the ball was passed out to score a team try. Which was not converted. Kilfeacle knew, that in these conditions, scores would be hard to come by but they went in search of them with great gusto but met a defence that was equally as determined to stop them. When, in the 72nd minute, Kilfeacle scored another penalty we had a two-point game and 8 minutes to find a winning score. To the visiting sides dismay the remaining minutes of the half were played in the Tralee 22 but blighted with handling errors on both sides due to the weather conditions and there were no further scores. After the 80 minutes were up and the referees final whistle sounded, Tralee had run out deserved winners by 8 points to 6.
Immediately after the final whistle the coach and selectors agreed that there were both positives and negatives to be taken from the game. For this game the negatives had out weighed the positives and this was the main reason we didn’t win. John Staunton wished every success to Tralee as they progress through the competition. He said, "It was not a question of skill or commitment, as one would back this current panel to a man. No, on the day some vital decisions did not go our way. To say we are disappointed would be putting it mildly however this is all part and parcel of the game and there is no use crying over spilt milk. Thurles came out of the blocks faster in the second half and gained a psychological advantage on us. We never really got to impose our game on them for long enough periods of the game. We can and will rectify these problems in training. Yes we lost but are not beaten! We will bounce back a better and stronger team."
Kilfeacle and District RFC would like to extend our heartiest congratulations to Cashel RFC for their success in both the Challenge Cup and the Munster Junior League and wish them every success as the progress further.

Seconds come out the better in Webb Cup game with UL Bohs.
Kilfeacle and District R.F.C. 12
UL Bohs R.F.C. 10

On Sunday 8th of March at 2.30pm, Kilfeacle and District R.F.C.’s seconds welcomed UL Bohs to Morrissey Park for the Webb Cup and the honour of playing Cashel in the next round. To say the weather was inclement and that the elements were to play a large part in the result would be verbose. Both teams played in the same conditions and there is enough talent and skill within the respective squads to overcome such adversities however everyone knew that the rugby would not be free flowing and pretty. Kilfeacle won the toss and elected to play against the wind for the first half. UL Bohs started with the wind and rain at their backs and they knew what they had to do in such conditions however they also knew that it would be a very difficult task. The majority of the first half possession was concentrated in the home sides 22, but for all their possession and territorial advantage the visitors found it almost impossible to build up a sizable lead after kicking an early penalty and UL Bohs lead by 3 points to 0. Kilfeacle’s defence was admirable and they kept forcing errors from the UL Bohs team, who, as the half wore on became more and more anxious to score. The play at times was untidy from both sides and in one such melee a kick forward past the UL Bohs guard saw the ball bounce up into the arms of the onrushing Shane Morrissey who made an excellent break and was just stopped metres short of the tryline. From the subsequent scrum John O’Mahony broke forward but was stopped inches from scoring but he expertly offloaded the ball to Shane Morrissey who side stepped the full back for a clear run to touch down under the posts. It took every ounce of power that Shane Morrissey had to convert, which demonstrates how strong the wind was, but convert he did. The last few minutes of the half were played in the home side’s 22 but blighted with handling errors there were no further scores so at halftime Kilfeacle lead by 7 points to 3.
The half time break was short and neither side complained, as the conditions were not conducive to standing around. In that brief time both coaches communicated their message to their charges and could be heard doing so over the noise of the storm that was blowing. Home side started the second half well and used the wind to their advantage however they were now having the same difficulties, as their opponents were in the first half. Handling errors, lost footing, misplaced passes and loose ball seem to be the menu for the day. After 10 minutes the UL Bohs team started to come to grips with defending in the conditions and started to build good phase play but every time the made it out of their own half any error or misplaced kick saw the ball return over their heads to relinquish any ground gained. On one occasion the Kilfeacle side had 11 phases of play ending with an unlucky knock on just 9 yards from the opponents try line. It seemed that no matter what Kilfeacle threw at UL Bohs that they were a match for it. UL Bohs were happy to defend and build up the phases of play slowly and were starting to control the forward exchanges. In the 20th minute of the second half came the moment that sealed the victory, James Morrissey, Kilfeacle’s out half saw the cover was stretched and quickly moved the ball out along the line to see Michael Fitzgerald go over in the corner. Now UL Bohs could no longer hold out and play a patient waiting game as they were trailing by 12 points to 3. With only 10 minutes left on the clock the Kilfeacle defence, which had been so miserly up to this gave in and left the UL Bohs winger in to score a try under the posts which was duly converted with aplomb to the delight of the hardy travelling. UL Bohs to their credit put in an almighty effort in the remaining minutes but their opponents, the weather and the time were all against them and the target was just a bridge too far. Finally the referee sounded the full time whistle to the dismay of UL Bohs and the joy of the home side.
After the game Pat Hueston, second team coach said, "We played very well in the first half but our display in the second half leaves a lot to be desired and UL Bohs were very unlucky not to score more. A very resolute UL Bohs defence held us out and almost made us pay dearly. To UL Bohs’s credit they were unlucky not to be ahead at half time and if they had converted some of those second half chances it would have been a different game. I am worried that if we put in a similar display against Cashel that we will be made pay for it. They will be favourites and deservedly so it will take a big squad effort. a special mention must go to Michael Kenneally and David Donovan for the coaching they have done with this group of players, it has brought the standard of play up several notches. I believe that full commitment from everyone on Friday nights is essential! Both sets of players and supporters deserve praise just for being here in these conditions."
Kilfeacle would like to thank UL Bohs for the game, which was played in the correct spirit despite the weather conditions.
Under 18’s brave the conditions for Semi-Final clash with Waterpark.
Kilfeacle and District R.F.C. 12
Waterpark R.F.C. 7

On Sunday 8th of March, Kilfeacle and District R.F.C.’s 18’s welcomed Waterpark to Morrissey Park for the semi final of the Cup. The inclement conditions made it a dour affair but to their credit both sides approached the game in a good frame of mind and displayed plenty of endeavour. Waterpark won the toss and elected to play against the wind for the first half. Kilfeacle started with the wind and rain at their backs and the target was to build up a sizable lead as against the wind in the second half would be a very difficult and exhausting task. The vast majority of the first half was played in the visiting sides 22, only once did Waterpark break into the Kilfeacle 22 and this was in the first 2 minutes and it culminated in a brilliant converted try which shook the homeside to the core. Immediately the team coach feared the worse, after picking his charges up from a shattering defeat last week the last thing he needed now was to go behind so early while playing with the elements. He had seen goods teams crumble in such circumstances before! However he wasn’t going to witness such a catastrophe on this day, during this game as his players stood back up and shoulder-to-shoulder marched back into battle. They new that they had been caught cold and to their credit this was the one and only time that their opponents would score against them with or without the wind! With towering performances from Gerry O’Brien, Joe McEniry, Paul Downey, Darren Lowry and James Ryan (Salmon) they bossed the rest of proceedings to lead 9 points to 7 at halftime and 12 points to 7 at the final whistle.
After the game John Dwyer said "This team is starting to show it’s true potential now and if they continue in this manner, they will win the Cup, I have no doubt. I have been saying all along that inside in this squad there is a great team. The went down early but had the heart to come back, one thing you cannot question is their heart. The commitment of the squad and coaching staff is amazing. I know that with the help of Pierse, Philly and John that these young men can succeed! I would like to thank Waterpark for a very tough but fair game played in terrible conditions but in the best spirit."

Kilfeacle Under 6’s, 7’s and 8’s.

Kilfeacle hosted teams from Fethard and Dungarvan on Sunday 1st of March. Kilfeacle U8A defeated Dungarvan and Fethard. Lorcan Fitzpatrick and Tony Byron tackled well with opportunistic tries from Kevin Hally, The Ryan Twins Brendan and Ciaran, Ben Quinn and Shane Farrell. An inexperienced Kilfeacle U8B lost to Fethard and Dungarvan in two tough encounters. Alex Ryan scored a great try. Padraig Franklin and Jack Ryan worked hard with Oisin Kelly and Owen Kemp putting in a lot of effort.
Kilfeacle U7 defeated Fethard and drew with Dungarvan. Alan Flannery, John O’Sullivan and Robbie Byron starred with fantastic efforts from Cormac Ryan and Darragh Kennedy.
Unfortunately our U6 team had no opponents but players like Dillon Brett, Dara Ryan, Tony Ryan and Christopher Kemp are just waiting to get the opportunity to display their skills.


AIL: Bruff’s fantastic run in this year’s Division 2 finally came to a halt on Saturday in Donnybrook against Bective Rangers. On the wrong end of an 8-3 scoreline, this result makes it very unlikely that we will reach the playoff stage of the league. However it must be said that if you had offered us this placing at the start of the season we would have taken it with open arms for our very first ever season in Division 2. While not mathematically impossible, the result leaves us with five league points to make up with only three games left to play in the regular league season. It’s a tough ask but we’ve done tough before, I wouldn’t write us off yet. It just means that we need three wins out of our last three games and see how other results go.

Bruff lined out as follows:Paul O’ Brien; John Moore, John Malone, John carroll,Finbarr Hogan; David Maw, Eoghan Maher; Stephen Foster, Cathal O’ Regan (C), Gearóid Ryan;Dermot Murnane, Alfie Laffan; Mike Carroll, John S. Shine, Peter Malone.
Replacements:Mossy O’ Donnell (H), David Horan (P), Maurice O’ Connell, Garry Leonard, Andrew Cashman.

The only Bruff score of the day was a David Maw penalty.

J1 Squad travelled to Highfield on Sunday in the Munster Senior Seconds League. They ran out eventual losers on a 46 points to 12 drubbing.

At the same time on Saturday the J2 Squad won their first round game in the Webb Cup against St. Senans beating them by 36 points to 14.

Bruff’s Scores from Peter Twomey 2 tries, Ger Cronin try, Stephen O’ Shea 2 tries, Richie McAuliffe try and 3 conversions.


Results: U18 NML Bruff 6, Shannon 11, Bruff awarded win & League points.

U16 Bruff V Kilrush, Bruff awarded win.


U13 NML Scariff V Bruff, 11:00 am

U16 F Bruff V St. Senans, 11:30 am

U18 F Thomond V Bruff, 12:00 midday.

Keep an eye out on Saturday before the big game for the piece on John Hayes, some of which will have been filmed in the club this week. John will get the record for most capped Irish player on taking the field against Scotland.

Congratulations John and all of us here at Bruff hope that you will stretch the record out and give a tougher target to those coming on in the future.

Richard Leonard,

P.R.O. Bruff R.F.C.

Nenagh Ormond RFC Notes

Connemara 9 – Nenagh Ormond 15
In a game played in dreadful conditions at Monastery Park Clifden which is less than 200 yards from the sea. Nenagh ground out a fantastic victory over their host club Connemara All Blacks. Connemara were aided by the breeze in the first half and went in front with a penalty to make it 3-0 after five minutes. Nenagh forwards assumed early control and after some fine rucking and mauling, the ball was spread wide at which stage Gerard Hermse speeded up the line and none of the defenders could get to him. A fantasic try was scored in the corner but the conversion was missed due to the strong wind. The Connemara all blacks responded by availing of the breeze and using long kicks from their out half to play territory. Nenagh counter attacked and a very intelligent kick from John Lillis meant that the Connemara full Back was caught in possession, The Nenagh forwards snaffled the ball and same was moved out where James Kingston made a great break to score near enough to the posts. Unfortunately the conversion into the wind was missed but Nenagh were now ahead by 10/3. Connemara then dominated for the remainder of the half and scored two penalties to leave the score at 10/9 at half time.

The second half Nenagh had the breeze in their backs and used the elements and playing territory and kept the Connemara forwards going backwards. Nenagh were rewarded with two penalties of their own which were converted by John Lillis. The second half was unspectacular owing to the prevailing conditions. Nothing else was ever likely having regard to the conditions. The game highlighted the talents Moses Vula Vula who carried a huge amount of ball.

The game also saw the introduction of Damien Dunne for Fergal Brislane who unfortunately suffered a broke nose. There were a number sin binning during the game but otherwise it was a Nenagh dominated score line. In the last ten minutes the home side sensed an opportunity and they came at Nenagh in droves. However the Nenagh defence held firm and won up ball was taken down in front of the post and was turned over. There was some fabulous inter play which brought the game down the far end of the grounds. This effectively killed off the Connemara all black challenge and the final whistle saw Nenagh worth winners.


M. Kennedy, C. Whelan, F. Brislane, R. Powell, K Quigley, B. Williams, C McMahon, M Vula Vula, M. Fogarty, D Delaney, G Hermse, J. Kingston, V. Tuidraki, R. O’Brien, J. Lillis

SUBS USED: D. Dunne, J Moloney, E. Gardiner, D. Corcoran, K O’Meara

Junior Cup:
The Second XV return to Junior Cup action in the long awaited quarter final clash with Garryowen at 2.30 in Dooradoyle this Sunday. Preparations have not been ideal unfortunately with the cancellation of fixtures over the last few weekends but with many of the squad involved at senior level and the remainder putting in a massive effort in training they will still be well primed for this clash. Overseen by Johnny Moylan, ably assisted by Fergus Austin and Eamon Dooley, this team have been having a great season. With only one defeat in league action to Thomond, a result avenged in the second round of the Junior Cup the team find themselves in the final with the prize of a place in the top flight of the Munster Senior Seconds league up for grabs. That final, against Cork outfit Dolphin, was down for decision last Sunday and would have provided ideal preparation for this game but unfortunately due to a senior game for Dolphin being fixed for the same time the match was called off.
Alas all thoughts of that are put to the back of the mind as Sundays game in this great competition is certainly the Holy grail for these players. There have been notable scalps taken in Thomond and Midleton to reach this stage but they don’t come any bigger than the famous Dooradoyle club and that motivation alone will strengthen Nenagh’s resolve on Sunday. The club have been doing extremely well at all levels of late in particular at senior level where the team are unbeaten in 2009. The fact that many of those players are eligible for Sundays game, in particular the likes of Keith Quigley, Brian Williams and David Corcoran who have been in flying form of late, should make for a great match. Add to those the experience in the side of the likes of Kevin O Meara, Cian Ryan and the young, but very experienced scrum half Eoin Gardiner and this team has a nicely balanced blend to it. The team have already exceeded all expectations to reach this stage but going one better on Sunday would be simply outstanding. Of course a team is only as good as the support it receives and it is vital that as many as possible are there Sunday to get behind the effort. So rally the troops, tell the friends and all that and make it to Limerick for 2.30 Sunday. Lets hope we’re writing of another memorable day next week.


Nenagh Ladies had no match last weekend. We are hoping to arrange a friendly for this weekend. Details will be given at training. Training continues Wednesdays and Fridays at 7:30. New players always welcome, contact Louise on 087-2201596.


Richmond 13 Nenagh 8

Richmond defeated Nenagh in a hard fought game in Limerick on Saturday last to draw level at the top of the league table with one game remaining for each side.
Nenagh started well with the aid of a strong wind and camped inside the Richmond half for long periods. However a combination of some great defence by the local side and missed opportunities by Nenagh eventually saw a break out by Richmond who scored under the posts from their first attack. The conversion was added to leave Nenagh trailing with fifteen minutes left to the break. Nenagh upped the tempo and some great drives by the pack brought play deep inside the Richmond half. Good hands by the backs saw Shane Quinlan score in the corner with the difficult conversion going narrowly wide. Already without the services of Rory Whelan and Dan Fogarty through injury, Nenagh lost Damien Cahalan at half time and John Coffey shortly after the resumption but showed real Nenagh spirit playing against the wind. Nenagh kept the ball tight and demonstrated great skill to bring play inside the twenty two where they were awarded a penalty which Justin Conroy converted to put Nenagh ahead. The next twenty minutes were tense and Richmond were eventually awarded a penalty on the ten yard line which was converted to put Richmond back in front. The Limerick side’s tails were up at this stage and they scored another penalty from the same spot three minutes later. The Ormonds showed their character and owned the ball for the last fifteen minutes and were held up over the line on two occasions but could not get the vital score. Nenagh now play Cashel at 2pm in Lisatunny on Saturday next who are three points behind the leaders while Richmond host Clonmel. What happens on the day in both games will determine who wins the North Munster league but with the top two from the North section going through to the Munster play offs it promises to be an exciting finish to the league and a large Nenagh support will be vital on the day.
Squad: Keith Purcell, Damien Cahalan, John Coffey, Kieran McCann, Josh Fletcher, Andrew Kelly, Jamie Quigley, David Cleary, Michael Harding, Michael Lynch, Eddie Gleeson, Jeff Mc Donald(Capt), Justin Conroy, Darren Ahern, Gavin Mc Avinchey, Shane Quinlan, Robert Duff, Steven Harvey, Leslie Hayes, Michael Long.


Under 13’s: NORFC 50 – Thurles 0
The u/13s played their quarter final of the East Munster league at home under lights on Friday last. Having already had 2 wins under their belts, Thurles seemed to have a Physically bigger looking Team. But From Kick off it soon became apparent that Nenagh had too much skill and pace for their opponents. Within 2 mins Ormond were on the score board with a try on the wing by Killian Gleeson, soon followed by Ethan Moloney & Joseph Knight. Half time Score 19 -0 . The 2nd Half was much of the same, with trys following by Darragh Hassey & Stevin Cleary and Conversions taken by Killian Gleeson. This was very good performance by the entire team and it was obivious that they all were enjoying themselves by the way the ball was being moved throughout the team.
They now meet Dungarvan in the semi-final. Thanks to all who turned out on a cold Friday evening to support the lads.
Final Score 50-0 to Nenagh. Training continues Wednesday and Friday at 7pm in Tyone.
Under 14’s: Dungarvan – 30 Nenagh Ormond – 15
The u14 team were defeated in the East Munster League on Sunday in Dungarvan. Nenagh almost scored from the kickoff with a good run from E Molony. Soon after J Donovan was stopped short of the line and Paddy Ryan was on hand to score.
Nenagh allowed Dungarvan into the game with some poor tackling leading to 2 tries despite good efforts from D Hassey and E Obrien. Before half time good work by B O Flaherty, G White, D Flannery lead to a try by J Knight. Half time 12 – 10.
Second half into the wind Nenagh upped their game with C Wallace, C Murray, B OConnor and J Nolan doing well in the backs and C Comerford, C Lucey, L Morrison , Peter Ryan and in particular J OFlaherty doing good work. Dungarvan got a number of further scores and Nenagh replied with J Hayes getting after a strong run. The game ended with Nenagh on the offensive with good breaks from G OGorman and C Leo who had tried hard all day.
C Wallace, C Murray, B O’Connor , J Nolan, J Donovan, B O’ Flaherty, G White, D Flannery, J Knight, D Hassey, E O’Brien, E Molony, C Comerford, C Lucey, L Morrison, Peter Ryan, J O’ Flaherty , Paddy Ryan, G O’ Gorman, C Leo.
Under 16’s:
No game last weekend. We expect confirmation on next week’s Cup game during the week.

UL Bohemian RFC
Rugby Notes
Weekending 8th Mar 2009
Denis Ryan

After the disappointment of the defeat by Old Belvedere last time out,
it was important that UL Bohs got back on the winning path swiftly, and
they did so in style at the expense of unfortunate Terenure, who found
the home side superior in all departments as they totted up 34
unanswered points.
The immense all round talent displayed by Tom O’Donnell was worth the
entrance fee alone, and it was possibly the young back row forward’s
absence on Munster duty that proved the difference in the loss to Belvo.
On this occasion, the all action display by Tom, well supported by the
ever impressive Paul Grennell and Kieran Essex, gave UL Bohs a platform
for the win and the equally crucial bonus point.
Playing into a strong wind, the young UL Bohs side had a somewhat
unfamiliar look, with Finbar Aherne on the right wing and Chris Delooze
starting at outhalf, while Martin McPhail and Giles Boland formed a new
centre partnership. The unfamiliarity only rested with the spectators
however, as the side played extremely well as a team in the trying
conditions. Before long, a good break which was carried on by Kieran
Essex resulted in a try between the posts by Tom O’Donnell who ran in
from the ’22’. Cathal Sheridan put over the conversion, and soon
afterwards added a difficult penalty into the teeth of the gale.
The UL Bohs lineout was excellent throughout, with David Foley
dominating, well supported by James O’Neill and the front row of Richie
Feeney, Sean Henry and Mike Storey, and while the backs tried hard for
the openings, the Terenure defence which stood right on the offside
line, limited the opportunities. Just before the break, Kieran Essex
crossed in the corner, following a great run by Irish club international
Ed Torrie, to give the home side a satisfactory 15-0 lead, but not
before the visitors had made a number of threatening assaults on the UL
Bohs line which were just held at bay by unselfish defending.
On the resumption, UL Bohs pushed on for the bonus tries, ignoring some
possible shots at goal. A couple of sin-binnings for technical
infringements only brought increased effort from the side, and this was
rewarded when Tom O’Donnell made another break through the middle of the
field to touch down for his second try, this time Fergal Lawlor
The arrival of Fergal brought a subtle change of tactics, and Martin
McPhail, Tom Healy and Giles Boland kept probing for openings. However,
it was a delicate chip over the top of the flat defence which created
the bonus-winning try for debutante Finbar Aherne to make his first AIL
start one to remember. With Terenure throwing caution to the wind Fergal
Lawlor put another chip through, and this time it was Kieran Essex who
latched onto the bouncing ball to touch down beside the posts to finish
a very satisfactory afternoon’s work. Fergal again converting.
Our next games are away trips to the capital when we take on UCD and
Blackrock which we will have to win to ensure we maintain our position
in the top 8 for next season.
On Sunday the 2nds travel to Cork for the eagerly awaited game against
Cork Cons in the Munster Junior Cup and in line with previous meetings
between these sides, it promises to be a cracker.
The U-20 game against Corinthians fixed for the Bowl last Saturday did
not take place as the Galway side made an error in the fixture. It has
now been refixed for this Saturday.
The U-8s had a great outing against Terenure as a build up to the AIL
game, while the U-11s travelled to a tournament in Naas and brought home
the silverware. Great photos may be seen on the website http://www.ulbohs.com/
although it is difficult to differentiate between the coaches and the
players as they are all much the same size!

Old Crescent RFC

Club Notes, 10 March 2009

Our 1st XV played their final derby game of the season on Saturday against Thomond RFC. Points were vital for both teams for different reasons and, as in all derby games, the formbook was thrown out the window as both sides are keenly motivated to give 110% on the day. Playing with the benefit of the conditions in the first half, the visitors were expected to mount the early pressure, but our side lifted their game and were unlucky not to take the lead early on with a missed penalty kick from short range.

The scoring was opened by the visitors after 25 minutes when Anthony Hartery converted a penalty kick. He doubled the Thomond lead in first half injury time with another penalty kick. Brian O’Shea got the vital first score of the second half by kicking a penalty goal after 48 minutes, and four minutes later, after some excellent handling by our backline, crossed for a try which he duly converted to put Old Crescent into the lead for the first time in the match by 10 points to 6. Thomond to their credit came back and after the sinbinning of one of our forwards, pounded our line for 10 minutes.

However in one of the best defensive efforts seen in Rosbrien in recent times, our defense held firm and we did not concede any point during this period. This seemed to deflate our visitors and we extended our lead when following a backs move off a line out on the Thomond 22 metre line, Ray Moloney touched down and Brian O’Shea added the conversion to further extend our lead.

Both sides used their benches in an attempt to change the course of the game but there was no further scoring until late in injury time Eamon Broderick scored the third Old Crescent try of the afternoon which was converted by Mark Woods. At the final whistle, the 24 points to 6 victory keeps us on the road for promotion with 3 league games left.

Our Under 20’s game against Cashel due to be played last Saturday was called off. The only underage game played last weekend was the Under 16 league game against Newcastle West, which we lost. In winning the game, Newcastle West won the Under 16 League, and we send our congratulations to them.

After our great win against Thomond, the other highlight of last weekend was our President’s Dinner in the Strand Hotel on Saturday evening. In a fitting tribute to our President, Glenn Quin, for his hard work thoughout the year, the President’s Dinner was an outstanding success and was enjoyed by a large gathering of players, supporters and friends of Old Crescent. Sean Lally and his team in the Strand Hotel provided us with excellent service and served up a top class meal. Highlight of the evening was the presentation of our annual club awards. Eugene McGovern won our Player of the Year Award, James ‘Ham’ O’Neill won the Best New Player Award, and Joe Nix, won the Clubman of the Year Award. Congratulations to all our winners on their well deserved awards.
Looking ahead to next weekend, a 6 Nations weekend, our Thirds who take on Clonmel RFC in the Webb Cup at 12.30pm on Saturday in Clonmel. Our Under 20’s play Clonwilliam away at 2.30pm on Saturday, and in under age, our Under 13s have a league game against Young Munster on Sunday at 11.00am in Derryknockane.

Anthony O’Dwyer has assembled a team of Old Crescent Golden Oldies to play a friendly against a visiting veteran’s side from Cambuslang RFC in Scotland at 11.30am next Saturday morning in Rosbrien. We look forward to welcoming our Scottish friends and to seeing many former Old Crescent players (aged 35 and over) donning the club jersey again. It should make for a great morning’s entertainment!


We now have only 3 games left this season and only 1 HOME Game.

All Mini rugby and youths rugby players and Parents are invited to turn out for our last senior home game of the season versus Barnhall RFC 28/3/09. Free entry for all Well underage members and parents wearing Sundays Well colours There will be spot prizes for the best Banner supporting the Well and goody bags for mini rugby players, more news to follow

Sundays Well Banbridge Barnhall

Barnhall 28/3 (H) Ards (A) 28/3 S Well 28/3 (A)

Suttonians 11/4 (A) Nenagh (H) 11/4 O Wesley 11/4 (H)

O Wesley 18/4 (A) W’park (A) 18/4 Rainey OB 18/4 (A)

It is with deep sadness that we report the death of Mr. James H. Buckley.

Jim was a long standing member of "The Well" and played for Munster and Ireland earning 2 international caps, against England and Scotland.

The President and the executive committee of Sundays Well RFC on behalf of our members, wish to extend our sympathy and condolences to the family.

Ar dheis Dé go rabid a anam dilis.

Last weekends Fixtures

Senior XVS Sundays Well 8pts Rainey O B 19pts
There was disappointment for Sunday’s Well after they let an eight point half-time lead slip to a powerful Rainey side and once again losing vital League points in the closing stages with a late try by the visitors depriving the ‘Well of a vital bonus point.
The ‘Well were once again handicapped by a series of injuries but the players who went out were still confident of success. They had to withstand an early barrage of attacks by a relaxed looking Rainey outfit. The ‘Well defended superbly and made several strong hits across the field. Tumaile Tasola, Alan Hickey and Shane Walsh were amongst those who were often knocking their opponents back. The backs also proved their capability to defend, with young Jaso Martin-O’Sullivan having a superb game in defence at out-half while Ian O’Regan and David Twohig also made vital hits.
As the half progressed the ‘Well came more and more into the game. David Twohig and Greg Mulligasn were making good ground around the centre of the field but it was a back-row move that to the opening score. Inside the Rainey Twenty-Two, Tasola did well to take the ball from an under pressured scrum and raced towards the line before releasing Alan Hickey who crashed over in the corner. O’Regan was unfortunate with a difficult touch-line conversion but extended the lead to eight points just before half-time with a well struck penalty.
The ‘Well did best to get back into the game, with Walsh, Tasola and replacement Padraic Sisk making great ground around the fringes while Dave O’Connell was also taking on plenty of ball. With quarter of an hour to go, the ‘Well thought they had finally made the breakthrough with a pass by prop forward Walsh releasing Greg Mulligan who raced past the opposition’s defensive line, but play was called back due to an adjudged forward pass. With Banbridge and Barnhall both gaining losing bonus points, things are still very tight in the battle to avoid the relegation play-off spot but with three games left, and hopefully several players recovering with a three week lay-off, there is still plenty to play for.
Match Report "A Well Man"

J2s Sundays Well 15pts Shandon RFC 7pts
The 3rd XV finally broke the new jersey jinx and got a well deserved win against Shandon. This reporter got a few punches to the head so the final score may have been 14 – 10 to the home side. Playing against the wind in the first half the ‘Well opened the scoring with a handy penalty for Donal to knock over. Shandon had 3 attempts to level or even take the lead in the first half but all were missed along with 2 drop goal attempts. The ‘Wells defence was resolute in the few occasions that the visitors threatened with a standout performance by the Doctor at #6. Conall McGeogh had to retire 30 mins into the game and after a couple of combinations of Darren/Keith/Mike – the big man got the nod which proved to be an inspirational move by Director of 3rd XV Rugby Darcy. A lapse of concentration early in the second halve resulted in a Shandon try under the sticks and an easy 7 points for the visitors. The home team rallied and got 2 penalties which were duly tapped over by Donal to make it 10-9 to the visitors. However, the home side were asking serious questions of the Shandon’s defence with a number of searing runs by the newly created scrum half the best of which saw him touching down in the corner with 10 minutes to go. This was the last score of a pretty error ridden game but a ‘Well deserved win nevertheless. Not sure when the next round is but a huge disciplined turn out is required for the ‘Well dinner dance on Monday 16th – contact Director of Minor Rugby Darcy for details

Also trip to Edinburgh for Heineken Cup Final is fast approaching –

Again DOMR for details

Under 20s Sundays Well 12pts Highfield 13pts

Under 18s No Game last week

Under 16s No Game last week

Under 14s No Game last week

Under 12s Cork City qualifiers for County Cup playoffs

Sundays Well U 12s qualified for the Cork County Cup finals, by topping the city section group of games at Christian’s school grounds on Sunday morning last. Emphatic victories over Christians, Highfield, Douglas and Ballincollig ensured top spot. The finals are in Kinsale on Sunday Mar 29.
Match Report Martin Connolly

Under 11s Bandon 4 Sundays Well 4
A confident Under 11 selection travelled to Bandon for what was anticipated as a tough fixture against the rugged west Cork side. Against limited opposition numbers ‘The Well’ fielded two balanced teams which made for entertaining rugby against a good opposition. In the first series of matches both sides fought well and after a short spell of initial nerves settled well and held their shape to the immense pleasure of all supporters. The Well selection of 9 Lions put in a great show of composure to deal with Bandon’s 5"6′ running out-half who time and again was forced to offload the ball with no path through the Well line. In a hard fought affair Bandon led by 2-1 at half time but unswerving nerves, running lines and maintaining the defensive line brought the Well back into the match with a deserved 4-4 draw the final score. A very good try scored by Luke (Hands) O Kelly when the ball was tapped back in a line out and Hands pounced.

The second series saw the Wells 10 Barbarians put up a great attacking display with some of the best rucking this season on display from both sides. The Well forwards, with some help from a couple of aggressive backs, won their share of the ball with several great turnovers in a fantastic display of hunger for the ball. All the effort was rewarded with a 4-3 win for the Well against a big, well coached Bandon side. Overall a tremendous result for the travelling mob whose hunger for the ball delivered 3 wins and one draw in the 4 match series. Good displays from Josh Beecher, Patrick Hayes, Ritchie Cassidy, Kevin (the Mouth) Burke, Ronan Mulcahy and Conor O Brien. As with other teams in the club we will be pounding the tackle bags this weekend.
Match Report Brendan Kenneally Billy McKenzie Sean O Donavan

Under 10s Sundays Well v Bandon
We had two very competitive matches against Bandon last Saturday with all players getting a run. Bandon are a big country team with a few strong runners in each team. However Sundays Well matched them in the running stakes and in the end outscored Bandon in both matches. The Well let Bandon into an early lead but a few canny substitutes enabled the ‘Well to gain the upper hand and by half time each game was there for the taking. Early in the second half, the Well took control and maintained their advantage right to the end. Some individual solo efforts produced superb tries but on each restart some loose tackling left Bandon in for easy scores which kept up their spirit. However, the Well also rallied and in the end came out on top in both games. Whereas we saw some improvements to our game, weak tackling could have cost us both matches. However there will be no tackling practice next week, absolutely none, not even a sniff of the "T" word. So all players are expected to attend training next week for a really good time with lots of fun thrown in for good measure!
Tim Butler

Under 9s Bandon v Sundays Well
The under 9s gathered on Saturday morning for a trip to West Cork- not the holiday type but that of the rugby kind to do battle with Bandon, a team who have been good and fair adversaries over the last few seasons. As usual, we travelled with high numbers, 27 in all this week, so we knew in advance that we would have to rotate the players during the morning. We ‘loaned’ a few of our finest to Bandon in order to make up 4 teams and the lads did not have any problem with that; "just gimme a game!" they cried.

Game I started with a flourish and a passage of play that lasted 8 minutes without interruption, even the spectators (well done Mum & Dads, loads of ye there to watch and admire) were tired following the non-stop action. The emphasis this week was on the defensive line and the lads stuck to their task admirably with Dan O’Sullivan David Scott and Brioc manning their lines dutifully. Michael Roche showed good tactical awareness; his homework watching Munster has paid off and Rob Lofty had a couple of barnstorming charges through the middle of the field. The 2 main Bandon runners who caused all the damage last year just could not find a way through. Rob Hedderman jinked and jived for a cracking solo try just befoe half time which was well deserved.The second half was a carbon copy with blanket defence and Diarmuid O’Halloran pulled of the tackle of the day to save an equalling try. Rob Egar off loaded a couple of nice balls and Callum continues to fine tune that side step of his. It was man-of-the-match Colin Stack who clinched the result with a run, 2 side steps and a drive over the line that would have made?? Heaslip envious. Game II was played against the amalgamated team and the lads had a chance to burn some gas on this one with tries from Colin Stack (2), Rob Hedderman (2) and Callum Mackey with a peach. Two matches, two wins. Bring on the rest!

First game was against the Wolfhounds with an evenly matched encounter. Munster started well with some great rucking from the Spud, Mark O’Gorman and Adam Keenan which led to a cracking try from Luke Whelton to get things moving for Munster. Sean Madden bulldozed over the line for a score and put huge pressure on the Well defence. Top Tackler Award goes to Munster’s Reggie Kavanagh – he brought down players three times his own size – no fear! The Well however exploited the gaps and got some great passing moves going, using the full pitch and taking advantage of the players being in the right positions. Robbie Mulhall tip toed down the touchline and sprinted past some of the Munster defense to score. Impartial ref awarded the try. David Sullivan listened to the coach, ran STRAIGHT, to score a nice try under the virtual sticks. Other tries from Cathal Kelliher and Michael O’Sullivan rang the length of the pitch for a cracker. Support play was excellent. Well membership forms were given out to the 3 lads from Bandon – if you’re logged on lads, Training every Saturday, 10am. Although this was a low scoring game, it reflects the defensive ferocity of both teams. There were no gaps! Great rush attacks from David Sullivan and Niall Calnan were met by big hits from Bandon. The Well matched with some rib tickler tackles from Michael O’Sullivan and Rees Perry with some great turnovers from Luke O’Callaghan denied Bandon any continuity in attack. Speedy running from Adam Dunne kept Bandon on their toes. Most Memorable Magnificent Moment (4M) goes to Paul Sexton – he pulled off a classic try saving tackle , one metre short of the line. It was so good, some of the Bandon players congratulated him ! Bandon eventually penetrated the defense to score after huge pressure. It took a long time for the Well to respond but after more defensive pressure on Bandon’s line, Cathal Kelliher went in for a 10 centimeter dash to score ( pick and score). It was very tight to the end and in the final play of the game, from a Bandon lineout 10 meters from their line, Robbie Mulhall rushed at the Bandon backline, forcing a fumble by Bandon which Cathal Kelliher capitalized on with a 5 centimeter dash to score. Try to Cathal, assist to Robbie.
Match Report Andrew Mulhall & Tim Egar

Under 8s Sundays Well Bandon RFC
Four games for under 8s v. Bandon RFC

In the 1st game Bandon started very strong and were 4-0 up by half time. This was in part due to Bandon’s very strong maul capability where they were both retaining and winning a lot of possession. In the second half Sundays well showed their true spirit and staged a very strong comeback. The ‘Well were much more aware of Bandon’s strengths and adapted accordingly; passing more from the tackle, keeping the ball alive and taking passes at speed. The final result was 4-4.

The second game followed a similar pattern; Bandon strong in the mauls and only for some fantastic tackling by the ‘Well Bandon would have been out of sight by half time. Unfortunately, the Well weren’t able to get the open play that would have suited some of our speedsters. However, the ‘Well showed determination and were strong in attack and this game also finished in a draw. Both of the other games were very tight. These were the best teams we met by far this season. It was great to get two very evenly matched teams. The skill levels are improving. However, tackling and getting the ball wide is a problem. All in all, a good performance by the Well against possibly the best drilled team they have met this season. The lads quickly learned the benefits or turning in the tackles and getting the ball into open space. Coaches are focused for the remainder of the season on developing the passing game out of contact and perfecting the "art" of winning possession in the rucks.
Match Report Diarmuid Quinn and Sean Barry.

Under 7s Sundays Well Bandon RFC
The u7s played two games against Bandon. We were totally outplayed in the first half of each, but drew the second half, if it’s any consolation!! Tackling again was at a minimum, while the Well did manage to score a few tries in each game. "We will have to get the tackling bags out next Saturday".
Match Report Damian Arrigan

Club News.
Members and Players Dinner Dance
There will be some tickets available for collection at the door but you must contact Joe to secure your place. Please contact Joe Moynihan on his mobile or email before Thursday at 10pm to book your tickets.
0862506839 email joe.moynihan.well@gmail.com


Maryborough Hotel – 16th March 2009 7.30 PM

3 course meal

Band and disco

Price €65
Dress code Smart Casual (shirt and tie)


MUNSTER V Leinster

Thomond Park Saturday April 4th
A ticket request list for a limited number of tickets has been opened;

Please contact rugbytickets@sundayswellrfc.com


Thomond Park

12th April 09 Ticket list is now closed.
Contact rugbytickets@sundayswellrfc.com for further information.

Engage with O2

And help your Club prosper.

IRFU/O2 Engage offers your club members the chance to give 5% of their annual O2 bill directly to your rugby club

For example, if a club member spends €50 each month on their line rental, calls and texts, O2 will take 5% of this and give your club a cheque for the overall amount at the end of the year, which is €30.

If 100 members in your club sign up to O2 Engage, this would raise €3,000 for your club.

With O2 Engage, you can give 5% of your O2 bill to an IRFU-affiliated rugby club.

And since O2 makes the contribution it will not cost you a cent.

It doesn’t matter if you’re a player or supporter. O2 Engage is open to everyone who wants to get behind Irish rugby.

Please have a look at this link and sign up if you can.


Something for the Ladies

There are Ladies health and fitness classes every week on Tuesday evenings from 7pm to 8pm in the club hall. There are limited places available.

Please contact Fiona on mobile at 0879228600 or check out our web site.

Lotto News

The Lotto is up and running but will still take members. Anybody who wants to be included needs to contact Philip Collins ASAP. philipmcollins@hotmail.com 086 8520075


DFP – Right Column – HalfPage


DFP – Right Column – MPU

Related News

Watch our first interview with new Attack Coach Mike Prendergast as he returned to the province this summer from Top 14 side Racing 92, where...