DFP Header Area

Share this MunsterRugby.ie page

Club News w/e 08.02.09

2nd February 2009 By Munster Rugby

Club News w/e 08.02.09

Read the latest news from clubs around the province

Aidan Clifford PRO

TABLE QUIZ: Killorglin Rugby Club is hosting its annual Tabel Quiz this Thursday night, 5th February in ‘The Soda Club’, Killorglin. It promises to be a fun-filled night with spot prizes and a raffle. It starts at 8pm & entry is €40 per table. All welcome

Senior Team Training continues every Tuesday & Friday at the Intermediate School at 7:00pm. New players are most welcome and our coaches are happy to introduce novice players to the game.

Killorglin RFC Underage training continues. Under-age training continues every Saturday at the Intermediate School. It is not too late to join us as coaches will be happy to coach novices to the game. All are welcome. Under 10, 12, & 13 & 14 teams will train on the Dragon’s Den All weather pitch at the Intermediate School at 11am. The Under 16 & 18 teams will train at 1pm.
For information on any age grade issues, contact Youth Officer John Costello on 0863558185 or P.R.O Aidan Clifford on 0879065927.

Membership for Killorglin Rugby Club is still open for the 2008-2009 season. Family membership costs €50, a single membership costs €30, while a juvenile membership costs €10. The above numbers can be contacted also for more information.

Richard Leonard PRO

Last Weekend’s weather played absolute havoc on all fixtures in Kilballyowen with even the AIL Div. 2 game in Merrion Rd. being called off due to an unplayable pitch. Not one single fixture took place with the only thing going on being some underage training. Anyway with the late "White Christmas" that we’re getting this week, it’s not too clear this early in the week whether next weekend will be any better. Just in case this coming weekends fixtures are as follows:

Sat: 7th Feb:
U20 AIL: Bruff U20 V Corinthians, 2:30pm.
J2 McI Cup: Bruff V St. Senans, 2:30pm (TBC, Check Website).
Sun: 8th Feb:
J1 Munster Junior Plate: Bruff J1V Thomond, 2:30pm
U14 NCW V Bruff, 11:30 am
U16 Bruff V UL Bohs, 11:30am
U18, St. Mary’s V Bruff, 12:00 midday.

This year’s "Twilight Tag" Spring League, Starts April 2009, Now accepting entries!!!
A great way to prepare for the summer leagues in the city and get a head start on the opposition!!! Located just 16 miles south of Limerick City, we offer an option of early or late kick-off times to suit your team, on our floodlit pitches!

Team Entry Fee is €180, that’s just €2.50 per person per night, includes – a 40 minute match each night on floodlit pitches with IRFU referees, tea/coffee on arrival, top class facilities, hot showers and male/female changing room, prizes for winning teams and Celebration Party on Finals Night!! The club bar will be open each evening and a sizzling barbeque will also be available.
League runs for 6 weeks as follows:-
1. Wednesday 8th April 2009 (Before Easter Weekend)
2. Thursday 16th April 2009
3. Thursday 23rd April 2009
4. Thursday 30th April 2009
5. Thursday 7th May 2009
6. Thursday 14th May 2009 (Finals & Celebration Party!)
This is an Adult Tag Rugby Event , All players must be over 18 years.

Download an entry form on our website http://www.bruffrfc.com/ or Email brufftagrugby@gmail.com or Tagrugby@bruffrfc.com or call us on 087-9312817 for more information. Next committee meeting takes place on Mon 9th Feb. @ 8:00pm.

Theresa Hassey PRO

Senior XV
Rainey Old Boys 12 – Nenagh Ormond 18
Nenagh got a well earned and thoroughly deserved victory in Magherafelt on Saturday last in what was probably their best performance in the league to date. The score might have actually flattered Rainey for a finish as they got a converted try in the dying minutes of the game. The disappointing effort of pervious games seemed to have been put behind the team and hopefully this performance which was full of promise and heart will move matters forward as the run down in the league continues.

Rainey were a very big team and wanted to impose themselves on their visitors. They were especially big up front and they attempted to dominate in that area. Rainey had the benefit of a strong breeze in the first half but it was Nenagh who were out of the blocks quicker and took the game to Rainey. Nenagh were unlucky enough to score in the opening stages. However some penalties were conceded and the Rainey out half was able to deliver long clearances with the aid of the wind and pinned Nenagh back in their own 22. From once such kick into Nenagh’s 22 a persistent period of pick and drive by Rainey yielded a try which was duly converted. Rainey missed an additional penalty chance shortly after but from there on in it was all Nenagh despite the elements. The game was really taken to Rainey. There was a sterling performance from Brian Williams in particular and Colm McMahon. The Nenagh forwards were assuming control. A very good Nenagh move moved right across the line where Vima Tuidracki took the ball and made very good ground and off loaded to his Figian/Nenagh counterpart Moses Volavola who got in for a well worked try. The resulted conversion was missed. However Nenagh had their tails up and just before half time tagged on another penalty to actually lead with the elements behind them in the second half.

The second half saw the immediate kick off won by Nenagh and John Lillis cleared a long ball that landed just five yards from the Rainey line. This set the tone for the second half. There was constant Nenagh pressure for 15 minutes on the Rainey line and this was awarded with a try from Colm McMahon after a clearance kick was blocked down by Brian Williams. The conversion was added and Nenagh led 15/7. At this stage Nenagh were playing all the rugby with two try’s in the bag a bonus point seemed on the horizon. Nenagh had three clear try scoring chances which were not taken but unfortunately was not helped by the elements. Nenagh tagged on a penalty to make the score 18/7. In the final minutes Rainey attempted to get back into the game and got a late try to secure themselves a bonus point. All in all a very encouraging day at the office. This will have shoved Nenagh up the table some what. Hopefully the good work will continue. There is a break next Saturday due to the internationals and with the second team contesting the Munster Junior cup against Middleton in Nenagh all eyes will turn onto the Munster Junior Cup. It is hoped that the good work done over Christmas and the very good results achieved since then will carry on.

TEAM: M. Kennedy, C. Whelan, F. Brislane, R. Powell, K Quigley, B Williams, C. McMahon, M Volavola, E. Gardiner, J. Lillis, J. Harmse, D. Delaney, R. O’Brien, Vema Tuidragi, D. Corcoran.

SUBS: E. Ryan, M. Fogarty, C. Griffin, D. Dunn, K O’Meara


Nenagh Ormond 16 – Thomond 3

Nenagh took on Thomond for the third time this season and second time in the league. Nenagh started brightly with Dan Fogarty kicking his first penalty after five minutes. The Ormonds battled hard up front, and produced a fine display of running rugby in the first half, although with a few handling errors which hampered a couple of opportunities of tries. However Fogarty added two more penalties for a half time score of 9-0.
In the second half Thomond came back strong putting the Ormonds under long periods of pressure but Nenaghs defence held firm only conceding one kickable penalty in the whole game. After Thomonds three points Nenagh battled back to score the only try of the game from David Sherlock and converted by Fogarty. Nenagh were then able to close out the match fairly comfortably 16-3 win. There were some fine performances through out the squad most noticeably by Cian Ryan, Eoin Woods Alan Jackson and a major boost by the return from injury of Jim Healy.
All eyes and thoughts turn to next weeks Junior Cup quarterfinal match at home to Middleton. The coaching staff of John Moylan, Fergus Austin and Eamon Dooley now has a major headache of trying to select the team with all the personal to come back into the squad.
Team:T.Kenneally,A.Jackson,P.Breen,M.Fogarty,K,O’Meara,D.Fogarty,M.Fogarty;S.Killeen,C.Ryan,D.Dunne,J.Moloney,J.Healy,D.Sherlock,A.Grey,M.Slattery.Subs: E.Woods,J.Flynn,I.Foley,R.White,M.O’Meara,B.Maxwell

Nenagh ladies had a well deserved rest last weekend. They play Shannon at home on Sunday next (8th Feb) in the first round of the All-Ireland Cup.
New players and beginners are always welcome to come along. Training is every Wednesday and Friday night in Lisatunny at 7:30pm. Contact Louise on 087 2201596.

Under 20s
Last weekend’s game against Cashel was called off due to the weather conditions.
Under 20s are at home to Old Crescent on Saturday next at 2.00pm

Underage Ormonds
All underage games were called off last weekend because of the weather conditions.
This weekend the Under 18s are away to Fethard and the Under 16s are home to Waterpark, times etc to be notified at training.
The rest of this weekend’s fixtures will be notified at training.

Under 8s, 10s & 12s trip to Vicenza, Italy
A meeting is being held in the Ormond Hotel on this Wednesday night 4th February at 8pm for parents & coaches of the Under 8s, 10s and 12s to discuss the return trip to Vicenza Rangers RFC in Italy. Anyone interested please attend.

Junior Cup

Nenagh have had an excellent run in the Junior Cup this year and are now through to the 4th round.

They play Midleton at home on Sunday next 8th February.
Kick-off at 2pm
All support greatly appreciated

Denis Ryan PRO

The UL Bohs supporters travelled across the city with confidence having seen off the challenges of league leaders Clontarf and Dungannon in recent weeks. The state of optimism lasted just about as long as it took to start the game which Garryowen eventually won by 20-18. UL Bohs dropped off, failed to control the take, watched passively as what should have been a standard box kick bounced, and then reacted too late as the more eager home side booted through and touched down for a try before the bulk of the supporters had even arrived in the ground. It appeared, from the UL Bohs point of view, as if their team had also failed to put in an appearance. To add salt to the wounds, Conor Kilroy put over a great conversion from the touchline for what was to be a very valuable additional two points.
During an increasingly depressing first half, the only occasions UL Bohs entered the opposition territory was when they restarted following a Garryowen score. The home side played a minimalist game, content to kick to the corners and wait for UL Bohs to make mistakes. With so much of the game in UL Bohs territory, penalties were conceded, and duly punished. Clearance kicks were blocked, tackles missed, and loose passes picked up by the opposition. Another try was scored beside the posts from such an error, and indeed, the home side might have got at least two more but for a fine covering tackle by Martin McPhail and a despairing defensive effort which kept up Conan Doyle when it seemed he must score from another block and hack through.
Midway through the first half, Garryowen were leading 20-0, and both their jubilant followers and the suffering UL Bohs support fully expected that they would push on for the bonus point. However, with some better concentration on the basics of tackling, the backs began to support the wholehearted efforts of the forwards more decisively, and half time brought relief and no further deterioration in the position.
Not for the first time this season, the UL Bohs team which resumed the action might have been more or less the same in terms of personnel, but their commitment and concentration was far removed from the shadow side which featured in the first half. Passes were more accurate, tackling more decisive and a unity of purpose was more evident. Now when the visitors had the ball, Garryowen had reason to be wary. Anthony Hartigan, who replaced brother Ryan, took some valuable restarts, Mike Storey took some thundering balls into contact, while Dave Foley, as usual, won his own lineouts comfortably and challenged successfully many a Garryowen throw. The back row of Tom O’Donnell, James O’Neill and Paul Grennell had put in a storming effort in the first half to counter the Garryowen threat, but now on the front foot more regularly, they combined to lead the charge which eventually led to the first UL Bohs score. The touchdown could be credited to any of about eight players, but when Aidan McNulty put over the convert, the confidence increased throughout the team.
The arrival of Mark Butler brought an extra kicking dimension into the visitors game plan and now it was Garryowen who had to defend well placed cross kicks. This territorial game brought its rewards, and a couple of excellent penalties from Aidan McNulty narrowed the deficit to 20-13. The UL Bohs support suddenly changed from despair to hope of a losing bonus point. The crucial restarts were claimed by the commanding Anthony Hartigan, and play once again returned to the Garryowen half. With time running out, it seemed that this would be the best outcome, until a Garryowen defensive clearance was picked up by Mark Doyle on his own 10-metre line, and near the left touchline. The young winger, who had scored a marvellous try last week against Clontarf and had been prepared to take on his opposite number all afternoon, set off on a mazy run through the middle of the field. Although hit by a few tackles early on, he regained his balance, and accelerating through the defence, he was suddenly clear. As the line approached, a covering defenders vainly tried to stop him, but he managed to touch down for a great individual try. The conversion was from right of the post, but in the heavy ground, kicker Aidan McNulty just pulled the ball to the left of the target. Visions of a draw disappeared.
While a few minutes remained on the clock, UL Bohs just could not penetrate deep enough into hostile territory to get what might have been a winning penalty, so when the final whistle sounded, we had to be satisfied with a losing bonus point. Halfway through the devastation of the first period, we would certainly have accepted that result.
The enigma that is our team still remains. Some weeks they play for the first half, others the second, and once, against Clontarf, they managed the full game. They can be frustrating, error strewn or inspired, but rarely predictable. Following UL Bohs should carry a government health warning.

Frank Larkin PR

Last weekend was another weekend in which the weather played havoc with our fixtures, to the extent that all games were cancelled or postponed. Our firsts were due to play Clonakilty in the AIL, and were eager to play, but unfortunately, our main pitch was declared unplayable on Saturday morning. Our Thirds were due to host Shannon in the first of the Gleeson league playoffs, and our Under 20s were due to travel to Clanwilliam for an AIL game last Saturday, but both games had to be called off. Our 2nd XV were due to play Clonakilty on Sunday and again this match had to be called off, rounding off a disappointing weekend of no rugby action. Next weekend, our Thirds are at home to Shannon RFC in their postponed Gleeson League fixture. This game kicks off at 2.00pm. Our Under 20’s play Nenagh Ormond RFC in Nenagh at 2.00pm next Saturday.

Looking ahead, our First team will play their postponed AIL home matches against Bective Rangers RFC on 14th February, and against Clonakilty RFC on 1st March.

The Clubs Annual Get together, our President’s Night, will be held on the evening of 7th March in the Limerick Strand Hotel – Price €65 per person. The Strand Hotel is also offering a special room rate of €85 including breakfast for anyone who wishes to stay over. After a numbers of years in West Clare, this important Club function is being brought back to Limerick, to make it easy for all members to attend, and we would encourage all members and supporters to attend what should be a great night. Tickets are available from Anna Murray, 085 1440000, and Michael Cunningham, 087 2571454.

Andrew McNamara PRO

It’s hard to imagine many other 1st division clubs that would see a president, a chairman a Secretary, Senior Coach and several others working frantically for hours prior to an AIL game in order to get their pitch to a playable standard. Such was the case last Saturday in Coonagh as the terrible weather conditions threatened to put a halt to our game against Dungannon and thus consign the Northern Club to another expansive trip to Limerick. Conscious of that expenditure and after being in a similar position in Cork a few weeks ago, we gathered the troops and from 9am Saturday morning the pitch was forked and sanded to an acceptable level for referee David Wilkinson. It was an effort that certainly paid dividends; not only was the match played but we garnered four hard earned points. Many might have expected a simple bonus point win over Dungannon after the shipped 49 points the previous week, but they are a proud team and certainly redeemed their pride as they pushed us to the limit. It took a much improved second half to see of the stern resistance and even when we did go ahead, nothing was quite guaranteed until Kevin Griffin burst over for his second try of the league and score our third try. The obvious heavy underfoot conditions didn’t suit our style of play and although far from an excuse for our pedantic first half performance was rooted in our inability to play pacey rugby. With the wind at our backs in the second half, we most definitely upped our performance, and despite going further behind to a messy try, the proverbial sleeves were rolled up and Ritchie Mullane’s fifth try of the campaign and third in successive games paved the way for victory. Marcus O’Driscoll’s try soon after was a superb effort which demonstrated our new found confidence. Three players were instrumental, with Niall Ronan turning over a Dungannon attack in our ’22, Tadgh Bennett spotting the space and of course Marcus tearing up the left and going under the posts from the half way line. When Kevin crossed for his try, the almost unimaginable bonus point was on the tips of people’s tongues, but as time ran out I can safely say we were happy and relieved enough with the regular win. One move up the consistently tight table sees us occupy third spot, but unfortunately any momentum gained with our last two victories will be diminished somewhat we line out again in two weeks time against Young Munster.
After the disappointment of having our game against Cork Con postponed a few weeks ago due to pitch conditions, further disappointment came on Tuesday when we were informed that the powers that be in the IRFU postponed the officially rearranged fixture for this Saturday on the basis of a Cork Constitution objection. We would all liked to have travelled to watch Ireland’s opener against France, but such is the structure of the league, dates are hard to come by that suit everyone for rearranged fixtures and this Saturday was factored into our player training schedule.
Coincidently, Munster A are due to play on Friday night in Belfast with many of regular AIL players involved. Anyway, it’s not the first time we have been at the wrong end of a decision pertaining to other clubs so we’ll just get on with the fact and adjust accordingly. So instead of travelling to Cork the seniors will play a challenge against UL/Bohs at 1pm on Saturday.
Both the thirds and the U/20’s were postponed due to pitch conditions elsewhere, but thankfully the seconds did get to play a game in Cork against Highfield. Again the pitch conditions weren’t conducive to flowing rugby with the game punctuated by many handling errors on both sides. Fortunately from our perspective we overcame the difficulties with more success than the home side and won the game by 20 points to 5. As mentioned it wasn’t the best game of rugby, but at least it was a game in these frustrating times for players. We started well and quickly gained superiority through a strong effort from the pack. Emmet Mc Loughlin was in good fettle and crossed for a try, while Frankie Mc Namara and Frankie Daly also scored tries.
This Saturday the thirds play their rearranged Gleeson league playoff against Old Crescent in Rosbrien at 2pm and the U/20’s host Galwegians in Coonagh at 2.30.
On Sunday the Ladies are away to Nenagh.
Only One underage fixture got the go ahead last weekend with the U/16’s recording and excellent win over Richmond.
Hopefully more games can go ahead this Sunday as the U/16’s are due to play St Mary’s in Corbally and the U/14’s away to Garryowen.
The supporters overnight trip to Ballymena is proving to be a successful venture and Ger Mc Closkey needs to finalise numbers early next week, so anyone interested in travelling should contact Ger on 087 2745926.
Finally a date for your calendar is the Presidents night on the 3rd of April in the Corporate Marquee beside the clubhouse. It’s a while away yet, but there’s no harm in marking the date and we’ll be reminding people for the next couple of months.


DFP – Right Column – HalfPage


DFP – Right Column – MPU

Related News

Munster came back from 17-7 down to score 31 unanswered points for a vital 38-17 victory away to Edinburgh on Friday night. It was an...