Ireland U20s Team To Face Wales In Cork
2nd February 2022 By The Editor
Head Coach Richie Murphy has named the Ireland Match Day squad for Friday’s opening game of the U20 Six Nations against Wales at Musgrave Park (Kick-off 8pm, live on RTÉ).
Greencore Munster Rugby Academy full-back Patrick Campbell (Young Munster) starts the clash with fellow Academy players Tony Butler (Garryowen) and Ethan Coughlan (Shannon) among the replacements along with Ronán O’Sullivan (Highfield).
Campbell, out-half Butler and scrum-half Coughlan made their Munster debuts against Wasps in the Champions Cup in December.
Back-row forward O’Sullivan (Highfield RFC) is a former CBC student, Campbell is a former PBC student with Butler and Coughlan coming up through the ranks at Ennis RFC.
All four have featured for their clubs in the AIL this season.
Reuben Crothers will captain the team and is one of four players named in Murphy’s starting XV who featured in last year’s Six Nations.
row Mark Morrissey has been ever-present for Ireland in the engine room during the lead-in to the Six Nations, while prop Jack Boyle and winger Chay Mullins also add previous U20s experience to Friday’s team.
Patrick Campbell starts at full-back with Mullins and Shane Mallon on the wings. Leinster duo Fionn Gibbons and Ben Brownlee are paired in midfield, with Charlie Tector and Connacht scrum-half Matthew Devine named in the half-backs.
Boyle starts in the front row alongside Ulster duo James McCormick and Scott Wilson, while Morrissey is joined in the second row by UCD team-mate Conor O’Tighearnaigh.
Crothers leads from the back row, with James McNabney of Ulster selected at openside and Leinster’s James Culhane at number eight.
Murphy will be hoping his bench can make a big impact, with Josh Hanlon, Oisin Michel, Rory McGuire, Adam McNamee and Ronán O’Sullivan providing the options up front.
Ethan Coughlan, Tony Butler and Aitzol King complete the match day 23.
Commenting ahead of the game, the Ireland Head Coach said: “We have been building towards Friday for a number of weeks now and the group have put in a huge amount of work in preparation for the Six Nations.
“We’re excited about the challenges ahead, starting with the visit of Wales to Musgrave Park under Friday Night Lights. The prospect of returning to Cork and playing in front of a big crowd, including family and friends, is a really exciting one for the players and the management team.”
Ireland U20s Team To Face Wales
15. Patrick Campbell (Young Munster RFC/Munster)
14. Chay Mullins (Bristol Bears/IQ Rugby)
13. Fionn Gibbons (UCD RFC/Leinster)
12. Ben Brownlee (Blackrock College/Leinster)
11. Shane Mallon (UCD RFC/Leinster)
10. Charlie Tector (Lansdowne FC/Leinster)
9. Matthew Devine (Corinthians RFC/Connacht)
1. Jack Boyle (UCD/Leinster)
2. James McCormick (Ballymena RFC/Ulster)
3. Scott Wilson (Queen’s University Belfast/Ulster)
4. Conor O’Tighearnaigh (UCD RFC/Leinster)
5. Mark Morrissey (UCD RFC/Leinster)
6. James McNabney (Ballymena RFC/Ulster)
7. Reuben Crothers (Ballynahinch RFC/Ulster)(Captain)
8. James Culhane (UCD RFC/Leinster).
16. Josh Hanlon (Ballynahinch RFC/Ulster)
17. Oisin Michel (Lansdowne FC/Leinster)
18. Rory McGuire (UCD/Leinster)
19. Adam McNamee (Malone RFC/Ulster)
20. Ronán O’Sullivan (Highfield RFC/Munster)
21. Ethan Coughlan (Shannon RFC/Munster)
22. Tony Butler (Garryowen FC/Munster)
23. Aitzol King (Clontarf FC/Leinster).