DFP Header Area

Share this MunsterRugby.ie page

Club News: Week Ending 08.09.13

3rd September 2013 By Munster Rugby

Club News: Week Ending 08.09.13

This week’s club notes come from Killorglin RFC and Waterford City RFC.

Killorglin RFC

Senior Team training continues every Monday, Wednesday and Friday evening at 7pm in our new pitch at Coolbane. New players, with or without experience, are most welcome. Ronan Curtayne, Senior Team Manager, will be delighted to hear from new players on 087-7994710.

Under 14's training is now underway, taking place at 11am at Dragon's Den. Andrew wants all players to bring a Tennis Ball and plenty of enthusiasm. Don't forget the gum shields.

Under 12's, Under 10's and Under 8's training will commence on Saturday 7th September at 11am in the Dragon's Den. Don't forget the gum shields

Ladies – There is a deadline for "expressions of interest" in playing Ladies Rugby (non- contact) on Friday 6th September 2013. A decision will then be made on whether or not it is feasible to begin Ladies Rugby. So Ladies if you have not, yet, planned your winter fitness programme and want to have some fun while partaking, please text Ladies (followed by) Your Name (followed by) Your Date of Birth to Debbie O'Sullivan Griffin at 087-2457687. Please remember the deadline.

The Club urgently requires Volunteers for both coaching and administration roles. If you can give any spare time to the club, please contact our Secretary, Claire O'Shea on 087-7420242.

Congratulations to Stephen O'Sullivan Senior and Stephen Junior who, with some help from Trevor West, won our Golf Scramble @ Killorglin G.C. recently. Golf was followed by a relaxing evening in the Clubhouse and a good craic was had by all.

The next monthly meeting which will be held at The Family Resource Centre at 8p.m. will be open to all general members. Looking forward to seeing you all there.

A reminder to patrons that Membership is now due.

Please note that Registration night takes place in the Sports Complex on Friday 6th September 2013 at 7:30 pm.

Waterford City RFCby Damien Kennedy

City come out on top in local derby against Carrick

Last Friday night City played their first game of the new season in a friendly against Carrick in Kilbarry. In a typical first game there was slight rustiness from both sides but City started the stronger, putting Carrick under pressure camping 5 yards from their tryline but sloppy play from City left two try scoring chances behind and Carrick earned themselves a penalty which brought play just up to the halfway line.

Carrick began to work through a few phases but the Waterford defence held firm and a huge hit from Sean O Mahoney on the Carrick fly half saw the loose ball gathered up and again City found themselves deep in Carrick territory but mistakes saw Carrick once again clear the ball. Play continued in the Carrick half of the field with City maintaining the majority of possession, good play from Nicky Jacob saw Gary Keane break down the left only to be tackled just short of the line, two quick phases of play saw Aaron Foskin come onto the ball strong and break through the Carrick defence to score under the posts.

The try was coverted and the restart saw City claim the ball and work back into the Carrick 22 but the ball was turned over and the Carrick 2nd centre found himself in open field only for Aaron Foskin to cover across and make a try saving tackle just at the half time mark. Early in the 2nd half Carrick worked themselves in the City 22 and earned a penalty which they converted to bring the score to 7-3. Cian Foskin was a constant menace in the lineout and this helped City keep control of the game, a great break from Nicky Jacob and James Halligan on 60 mins nearly saw another try added but a dropped ball at the last moment kept the scoreline the same. A yellow card to a Carrick player for a challenge off the ball saw City put the ball into the corner and the forwards rumbled over the line from the lineout which saw Trevor Griffin touch down to bring the scoreline to 12-3.

Aaron Foskin slotted over a penalty 5 mins later to bring City to 15-3 . The bench was emptied with 10 mins to go and the game seemed to open up with Carrick coming more into the game and they finally breached the City defence to score under the posts and bring the score to 15-10 with 2 mins to go.

A late attack from Carrick was disrupted by another Aaron Foskin cover tackle and the ref blew the final whistle to leave City with the victory. Despite leaving a number of try scoring opportunities behind City played very positive attacking rugby and can be happy that the team is headed in the right direction.

Some great performances by Cian Foskin, Aaron Foskin , Sean O Mahoney ,Ben Duggan, Nicky Jacob and Fintin Purcell .Special mentions go to Donal O Brien for taking charge of the team while Peter was away and to young Jack Hanlon who played his first game at adult level and gave strong account of himself.

Next Friday night the team plays 1st division side Clonmel RFC in the opening round of the Manseragh Cup in Kilbarry.


DFP – Right Column – HalfPage


DFP – Right Column – MPU

Related News

The Munster side has been named for Saturday’s URC Round 14 clash against Vodacom Bulls at Loftus Versfeld (4.05pm Irish time/5.05pm local, live on RTÉ)....