DFP Header Area

Share this MunsterRugby.ie page

News from around the clubs wk/ending 4th Oct

8th October 2009 By Munster Rugby

News from around the clubs wk/ending 4th Oct

News from around the clubs

Killorglin Rugby Football Club
UNDER 10’s are away at a blitz in Killarney this Saturday. For more information please contact John Costello 086 3558185
UNDER 12’s are away at a blitz in Killarney this Saturday. For more information please contact John Costello 086 3558185
UNDER 13’s are at home to Listowel this Saturday at 13.00hrs. For more information please contact Dan O’ Sullivan 085 1390808
UNDER 15’s played away to Tralee on Saturday last. It was Killorglin’s first game of the season against a well coached, strong Tralee team who had the benefit of a number of previous games. The scoreline belies the nature of the game as Killorglin eventually dominated the first half and lead 7 – 5 after 20 minutes. A well taken try by the excellent Kevin O’ Sullivan was converted by Captain Fionn O’ Shea, who had an outstanding game. Tralee got 3 breakaway tries and pack leader for Killorglin Cian O’ Mahony was denied a try by the absence of a T.M.O. (the referee who had an excellent match was unable to confirm the try!) on the stroke of half time. Cian O’ Mahony was prominent throughout. Indeed the full squad of 19 saw good game time and all contributed to the team efford and bode well for the rest of the season. For many of our boys this was their first rugby game! Team W Mitchell, R O’ Shea, M. Quane, C. O’ Mahony, D. O’ Shea, T. Foley, C. O’ Sullivan, S. Doyle, F. O’ Shea (C), C. O’ Mahony, D. O’ Sullivan, L. O’ Sullivan, K. O’ Sullivan, G. Naughton, M. Houlihan, N. O’ Shea, S. O’ Shea, G. Fitzgerald, D. Sheahan. Training continues at the Dragons Den Saturdays at 11.00AM. This age group is for players born in 1995. For more information please contact Seamus O’ Shea 087 2357805
UNDER 17’s training is on Tuesday at 17.30hrs and we play Listowel at home on Saturday at 13.00hrs. This age group is for players born in 1993/94 For more information please contact Aidan Clifford 087 9065927
UNDER 19’s training is on Tuesday at 17.30hrs and Saturday at 12 noon at Community College Grounds For more information please contact Jerry O’ Sullivan 087 3710104.
SENIOR TEAM The first weekend of October saw Killorglin host our first home game of the season with Newcastlewest travelling to our grounds at the Community College to fulfil a friendly fixture. The game scheduled in preparation for the first league game of the new season in 7 days time. The conditions were perfect for a game that was played in the true spirit of rugby. Killorglin received the kick off and immediately put themselves under pressure due to a fumble by the receiver, first scrum of the game and Newcastlewest seemed to have the advantage of that set piece. Newcastlewest struck first after 7 minutes with a well taken try from their left winger on a blind side pass from the out half to put the strike man away, conversion missed. 20 minutes later the visitors scored again with a converted try after a period of sustained pressure inside the home 22, Killorglin’s only response was a penalty in the 31st minute from Brian Gannon. That score was evened out 1 minute later from a penalty kick from the Newcastlewest out half. Killorglin got into rhythm putting a series of phases together only to be disrupted by a number of handling errors and kicks from play that were over cooked handing possession and advantage back to Newcastlewest. Killorglin defended well from the set pieces but found it difficult to contain the Newcastlewest pacy openside flanker who ran lines that opened the defence at times. Killorglin performed well in the line outs taking a number of balls from the Newcastlewest throw. Newcastlewest used their big men wisely and thumped up a number of balls inside the Killorglin 22 to score another try just before the break. The score at half time Killorglin 3 – Newcastlewest 20. Changes at half time saw a number of players changed out for a new look side for the second half. Killorglin attacked their own kick off and Mike Daly took John Ahern’s kick from a well timed run to bring the game to Newcastlewest, Daly was then in the bin 2 minutes later for introducing the “Adidas” logo on his boots to the opposing back row preventing the quick ball. Killorglin went through the gears with varied back play from Paul O’Connor, Jodie Riordan and John Ahern but the day goes to the debutant Darren Curtayne for scoring a try down the left wing after he “snaked” his way through a number of tackles and when space got tight he put the ball into the air over four Newcastlewest players and miraculously came out of the heavy traffic with ball in hand to touch down under the posts, and as to say ‘Senior rugby Darren Curtayne has arrived!’ Easy conversion for Brian Gannon, the score Killorglin 10 – Newcastlewest 20, half of a score separating the sides, the game was in reach and Killorglin went on the chase. The two sides exchanged plays for the next 30 minutes until Newcastlewest put the game away with an unconverted try. Four minutes remaining on the clock Newcasltewest came back up the hill with a run from the blindside flanker shrugging off a number of tackles making valuable ground. Time was up the next dead ball and the full time whistle will go, broken play Newcastlewest inside the home 22 and then, the shout from inside the chalkline, not of protest to the ref, not a defensive call, but the shriek of every sportsman’s nightmare rolling in agony, Paul O’Connor powerful out half down with a serious season threatening ankle injury. The game called to a halt. We take to the training park during the week, we run out on Sunday pumped up and ready to put our bodies on the line, we drive across counties for eighty minutes of adrenaline driven collisions. Why do we do it? We don’t do it for financial reward, we don’t do it in vanity and we certainly wouldn’t do it if we were by our selves, we do it for the fourteen men that line out beside us every week, where we pledge to go that extra inch, where we are called on to push the body beyond capacity, and we do it because the reward is in the jubilance of a win or in the gut wrenching last kick of a game loss, and all these we share with our team mates. So when we see one of our own leave the park in an ambulance it hurts and that is a pain shared by all. We would like to wish Paul a speedy recovery and willing him back to the starting fifteen as soon as possible. Congratulations to Darren Curtayne on making his senior debut and scoring his first senior try it’s a season of the emerging players cutting their teeth, well done! Result Killorglin RFC 10 – 25 Newcastlewest. Team: Brian Gannon (5), Mike Murphy, John Ahern, Jodie Riordan, Enda O’Shea, Paul O’Connor, Dan O’Sullivan, Colm Conway (C), Dan Flynn, Karl Daly, Tommy Moriarty, David Hayden, Brian Ahern, Mike Daly, Andrew Reilly. Subs: Joe Curran, John O’Sullivan, Mike Breen, Darren Curtayne (5), Dereck Twiss, Luke O’Shea, Bernard Jones, Gearoid Healy, Anthony Houlihan. Management Team: Coach Shane O’Sullivan, Assistant Coach John Costello, Team Manager Viv O’Callaghan, Kit Man Anthony Kelliher. Training is on Tuesday and Friday evenings at 19.30hrs at the Community College Grounds. For more information contact Senior Team Manager Vivienne O’ Callaghan 087 9760488.
Membership is now due for Killorglin Rugby Football Club for the 2009/2010 Season Youths Membership is €;20, Senior Membership is €;30 and Family Membership is €;50. Contact Club PRO Breda O’ Sullivan 087 2297549 or Email info@kerrysafetyservices.ie
Stay tuned to our website www.killorglinrugby.com, Twitter & Facebook page for more up coming events! New Website is currently under construction but you can also keep up to date with us on Facebook & Twitter – Killorglin RFC!
Games Senior Team play Castleisland in our first league game on Sunday next 11 October at home, Community College Ground K.O. 15.00hrs. Under 17’s play Listowel at home on Saturday 10 October K.O. 13.00hrs. Under 13’s play Listowel at home on Saturday 10 October K.O. 13.00hrs. Our Under 10 team, (players born in 2000 and 2001), and our Under 12 team, (players born in 1999 and 1998), will be taking part in a blitz, hosted by Killarney RFC, at The Demesne, Killarney. A bus will leave from the Dragons Den at 9.45 a.m. on Saturday October 10th. We plan to be back in Killorglin around 1 p.m. The cost of the bus is €;5 per player, and in order to play each player has to have their club membership paid. Bring your gum shield, food and drink, and warm clothing. To establish player numbers please text your coaches to confirm you intend travelling, and if you wish to travel by bus. If you intend participating, but will not be travelling by bus, let us know. All parental assistance gratefully received. John Costello 086 355 81 85. Andrew Eadie 087 417 0403. Colm Heffernan 087 939 8675. All games subject to pitch inspections, please contact team coaches for times and travel arrangements.
Congratulations to Stephen Cotter of Sunhill who made his debut in Division 1A of the All Ireland League last weekend. Stephen played at hooker for Dolphin, in their 13-12 victory over Cork Constitution. Having come through the Youth ranks with Killorglin we are delighted to see his progress.
Draw Don’t forget to buy your ticket to be in with a chance of winning a trip for two to Dublin to see Ireland V South Africa November 28th!

Merchandise Killorglin Rugby Football Club has brought out its new on & off field wear all available to buy NOW! For sales contact 087 7545408.


by Colin Bartley

The memories of Carrick’s last semi-final appearance were some what eased in Tybroughney last Sunday, when a thrilling second half performance saw them advance to the O’Sullivan cup final.
An eight point burst in the opening five minutes of the second half, wrestled control of the game from a well-drilled Waterford City side, which came to Carrick fully intent on reaching the final.
After being six points down at the break, Carrick explode into the second half and were awarded a penalty just outside the visitors 22, after claiming the kick-off and making 40 yards in a statement of intent.
Just after James Wallace kicked the penalty, Carrick went on the attack again. The back three of Dignam, Downey and Mullins were finally playing together and with centre Dave Kiersey starting to find space in the middle, Carrick’s backs were starting to look fluid.
And from the resultant re-start from the penalty kick, the Carrick pack drove up into the City 22’, quickly recycled and let the backs take on the attack. After a few phases David Kiersey took on the ball, broke a couple pf tackles and got in for the first try of the game.
The conversion was missed, but the home team were adamant they were going to build on the start. City soon found that any kicks to Carrick’s back three was not a great option as they found themselves trying to tackle some elusive running.
But the next try did not materialise due to over-exuberance, bad handling or bad luck. But Carrick kept pressing, playing mostly in the City half. Eventually after a period of sustained pressure in the visitors 22’, a clearance kick was gathered by the onrushing Brian Dignam, who moved to his left where he saw some open field> drawing the two centres attention he passed to Peadar Downey.
Downey had a good thirty to go with a couple of defenders to deal with, but with a step and a savage burst of acceleration found himself in the clear with just the cover to beat, which he did touching down in the corner.
With that conversion Carrick found themselves 15-6 ahead and had another opportunity or two, which they failed to take. A try in injury time by City, had the large support and players sweating, but that was the final play of the game. 15-11 to Carrick, who know await confirmation of a date for the final clash with Mallow.
On Saturday, the senior seconds took to the field for the first time this year against Clonmel in the Evans Cup. Carrick came out on the wrong end of the scoreboard, but bearing in mind there was many new combinations and first run out, it was a satisfactory defeat. There was no lack of heart, but maybe an abundance of rust, of which a lot was brushed away and the season can only pick up from here.


This was a great start to Bruff’s AIL 2009-10 campaign.
A Bonus point win is the ideal beginning to a league campaign for any club but Saturday’s performance boded well for the rest of the season if momentum can be maintained and we can stay injury free.
Bruff looked stronger, fitter and despite Highfield’s seeming size and weight advantage, Bruff just seemed to dominate them throughout the game.
Patrick Thompson was into the action early in his first AIL appearance for Bruff, playing a key role in Bruff’s first try just six minutes into the game with a very strong break before releasing full back Brendan Deady who flicked a beautiful pass to winger John Moore to touch down in the corner. Bruff captain Brian Cahill narrowly missed with the conversion from the touchline but found the target when trading penalties with Colin O’ Mahony from Highfield mid way through the half. Cahill quickly added a second penalty for Bruff to go ahead 11 points to 3.
Just before half time a binning for Highfield led to a 5 meter scrum but the Touch judge noted an infringement and all of a sudden the game was opened up as the ref. awarded a penalty try. Half time score 18-3.
This minor mountain became an Everest shortly after the break when a massive drive by the full Bruff pack ended with John Stephen Shine getting try number three. then almost straight after coming on the pitch, newcomer Nigel Riordan produced what was arguably the score of the match. Latching on to the ball from 40 metres out, he broke several tackles to touch down for his debut AIL try. Cahill added the extras and with the bonus point in the bag, it was now just a matter of what would be the final margin between the sides. Garry Leonard was next to touch down on 62 minutes and nine minutes later Graham Bolger touched down with try No. 6.
By this stage, Bruff had used all available replacements and when Alan Bourke and Brian Cahill left the field injured without replacement, Highfield with a double numerical advantage, scored a consolation try as the game entered injury time. Frenchman Mike Bayssat got his side’s consolation touchdown.
This coming weekend of course sees Lansdowne coming to Bruff after a similar first outing (They put forty two points on Old Wesley on Saturday to pip us to the top of the table by virtue of a two point higher score difference). This will be another major test of our Division two status.
BRUFF: Brendan Deady, Patrick Thompson, Gary Leonard, Brian Cahill (Capt), John Moore, Tony Cahill, Eoghan Maher, Stephen Foster, Cathal O’ Regan, Gearóid Ryan, Maurice O’Connell, Richard Wall, Alan Bourke, John Stephen Shine and Michael Carroll.
Replacements: Andrew Cashman for Deady, Nigel Riordan for T. Cahill, Andrew White for Shine, David Horan for Ryan and Graham Bolger for O’Connell.
Weekend’s Fixtures: (as usual Home team named first)
Friday: Adult games kick off this coming Friday evening with the game between our U21 Squad and Cork Constitution kicking off at 7:30pm. This is their first outing in the AIL U21 South Western Conference this season and a tough one to kick it off with.
AIL Div 2. Bruff Senior XV v Lansdowne RFC, 2:30pm.
J2 Friendly: Bruff J2 V Thomond, 1:00pm (TBC)
MSSL: Bruff J1 v Thomond, 2:30pm
I have no Mini or youth results or fixture times to hand at the time of going to print, log on to the website for details of kickoff times.
Mini Rugby:
U8’s Blitz, Away to Shannon Blue.
U9’s Blitz At home with NCW and Newport.
U10’s Blitz Away to Shannon Blue
U11’s Blitz At home with Abbeyfeale and Shannon blue.
U12’s Blitzes, Bruff Blue away to UL Boh’s Stags, Bruff Yellow away to Old Crescent.
Youth Rugby:
U13 Old Crescent V Bruff
U14 Garryowen V Bruff
U17 Bruff V Richmond.
U19 Bruff V St. Senan’s
Again the usual caveat, keep an eye on the website www.bruffrfc.com for any fixture times and updates.
This coming weekend we are making the final presentation of the monies collected from the Coiscéim Eile Lokomat Appeal to the Charity Group. This will take place in the clubhouse after the AIL Game is completed. Jon Kenny amongst others will also be along to take place in the presentation where over 15,000 euro’s was collected to help keep the machine in the Patrickswell Location.
Coiscéim Eile is a charity set up by John Ryan and his family, (Brother in Law of Mike and Lillian Cahill of Bruff RFC) coupled with families of people who use the Lokomat machine currently located in the First Step Centre in Patrickswell, Co. Limerick. Joan and Adele were involved in a car accident a few years ago, Joan was left partially sighted and Adele is paralysed from the chest down. This machine can be used by anyone with partial paralysis, or a multitude of other dehabilitating diseases and is available 8am to 8pm six days a week in the Patrickswell location. It reduces the requirement of Physios to deal with someone in this condition from 4 or 5 to just a single physio.
At the moment people without health insurance cover have to pay to use this machine but there is a considerable shortfall in the money required to keep this machine here. It is being paid for without assistance from the HSE by peoples’ goodwill and generosity. This is one of only two of these machines in the Country.
We have talked about this charity before on www.bruffrfc.com and you will also remember it from the appearance of the Ryan Family with the Machine on the Late Late Show. The Bruff RFC Charity night kicked off with Cáirde Ceol, leading into a show by Jon Kenny and finishing off with music by some friends of ours and his, this was a fantastic night, but we didn’t stop there. We also did a celebrity auction of some great sports memorabilia on the same evening with Matt O’ Callaghan as the MC. In total we collected over €;15,000 for the charity after the night. At the moment the main problem the charity faces now is to collect the over €;60,000 in VAT that the government is currently insisting that they pay.

Richard Leonard,
PRO Bruff RFC.

Kilfeacle overcome Crosshaven in Challenge Cup Quarter-Final.
Crosshaven RFC 12
Kilfeacle and District R.F.C. 14
After our last defeat in the Garryowen Cup semi-final “The Boys in Blue” were on the road again facing Crosshaven RFC in the Challenge Cup. At this time of the season many clubs face the same problems, players are more than often involved in sports in many levels and many codes. So pulling a squad together at regular intervals to train and grow accustomed to each other learn moves, calls and plays can be next to impossible. A good start is half the battle, so far Kilfeacle had one good performance and one indifferent performance in competition. On Sunday the 4th of October the travelling fans waited to see what kind of performance would await them and their team didn’t leave them down.
The game started in sunshine but with a cold breeze that blew down the pitch and favoured Kilfeacle. In the opening few minutes both sides warily probed and searched for openings Crosshaven new that a win against Kilfeacle was vital however they were to meet against an ever-improving Kilfeacle side and a pack that was to be reckoned with on the day. Crosshaven laid siege to the Kilfeacle line in the first quarter of an hour trying to take advantage of being at home. It was Crosshaven that landed the first blow when after 16 minutes they worked a scoring opportunity after some great phase play that saw them score the first try of the game however they were unable to convert the try. Anxious moments followed for the travelling supporters, of which there was a sizeable amount, as Crosshaven worked field position but the visitors pack started to work well as a unit and eventually work their way into a scoring position and all their hard work paid off after Stephen scored a well taken penalty after 24 minutes. The penalty spurred the team on and they were to have the better of the exchanges in the rest of the first half. With newcomers Sean Leahy and Shane Casey combining well with James Mullane, Shane Flavin and Stephen Flood, it seemed only a matter of time before they would reap their reward. However it wasn’t until the 35th minute and another well taken penalty by Stephen Flood before they would reflect their dominance on the pitch with a score on the board. The remainder of the first half was played out in the middle of the pitch with both sides cagily probing the others defence but neither being successful. The halftime whistle came with this absorbing game finely poised at 6 –5 in favour of Kilfeacle and District.
The manner in which the home team started the second half seemed to have an unnerving effect on the visiting side and when Crosshaven scored and converted a second try after just 2 minutes to notch up a lead of 6 points, questions were being asked of the visiting side. Kilfeacle needed to answer these questions and respond with a score. They went about their task admirably with the backs Aidan Doherty, John Keehan Matt Earl, Shane Luby, Mark Burke and Aidan long being ably marshalled by an impressive Stephen Touhy, combining well with the forwards. Pierce Breen was in good form and being supported well by Alan O’Mahony and Damien Gavin. Slowly, definitely and inexorably Kilfeacle once again started to dominate the play with the pack starting to control the game. In the 60th minute a move was constructed in which James Mullane, Stephen Flood, Sean Leahy and Damien Gavin all made some hard yards and created a platform for Shane Flavin, Alan O’Mahony and Shane Casey to assist Pierce Breen push over and touch down for an unconverted try. What followed can be best described as a siege on the Crosshaven line for the remainder of the game. To their credit the manner in which the home side defended has to be acknowledged as they restricted Kilfeacle’s scoring to a penalty by Stephen Touhy in the 71st minute. Substitutes Noel Leahy, David Carr and Charles Walsh were called into action and each played their part in this enthralling game. The final whistle came and the visiting side celebrated their hard fought but deserved victory. The display that the Kilfeacle team gave during this game and the manner in which they played could be measured by the applause they received from both sets of supporters and their opponents as the wearily made the way of the pitch.
After the game Denis Kenneally said “This team is starting to show its true potential. Inside in the dressing room after the game the boys were elated and deservedly so. They deserved this win without a doubt. Crosshaven have a history of being one of the best sides in the Munster Junior League and a tough nut to crack at home. The result does please me and the performance delights me! This is just one win and one swallow does not make a summer but winning is a habit we need to get into. I would like to thank everyone involved for their commitment and endeavour so far,” Kilfeacle would like to thank everyone from Crosshaven RFC who showed us great hospitality on the day and wish the club the best for the rest of the season.
This win, means that Kilfeacle gain entry to the AIB Cup and now get to face their old adversary and local rival Cashel RFC at Thurles on Sunday 11th of October at 2.30pm in the Challenge Cup Semi-Final. We hope that our supporters will turn out in large numbers to cheer us on.
Under 11’s, 9’s and 7’s start their season impressively!

Kilfeacle U11A vs. Galbally U11 6 – 1 (Kilfeacle won)
Kilfeacle U11B vs. Galbally U10B 2 – 1 (Galbally won)
Kilfeacle U11A vs. Carrick U11 5 – 2 (Kilfeacle won)
Kilfeacle U11B vs. Carrick U11 2 – 6 (Carrick won)

Last Sunday, 04th October 2009, saw the Kilfeacle U11s kick off their season ands play 4 matches at home against opposition from Galbally and Carrick on Suir 10.30hrs through 12.30. The young Kilfeacle Blues made a fantastic start to the season by showing some excellent moves and securing a couple of well earned wins. Excellent players for Kilfeacle U11As on the day were Brian Barlow, Jake Flannery, Tony Byron, Maurice O Sullivan, Christopher Farrell, Ben Quinn, Adam McGrath, Brendan Ryan, Jack and Padraic Ryan. Excellent players for Kilfeacle U11Bs on the day were Mark Compton, Timmy Clarke, Alex Ryan, Oisin Kelly, Killian Noonan, Arron Ryan, Ciaran Ryan, Eoin Kemp, Jack Reddigan, Padraic Franklin, and Declan Kennedy.

Last Sunday in Kilfeacle the U7s and U9s kicked off their season with matches at home against Galbally and Carrick-On-Suir. In lovely conditions some fantastic rugby was played by all the teams involved. Several new players made their debuts for Kilfeacle and they and their parents had a lovely day in the sunshine. All players are deserving of a mention and a note of thank you to Kilfeacle’s juvenile committee for the wonderful barbeque following the games.
Training continues every Friday night on the hill in Kilfeacle and all are welcome especially new children who wish to experience the thrills of rugby in a safe and controlled environment.

Clon Lose Their Way in the Dublin Mountains
De La Salle Palmerston 38
Clonakilty 14
The, by now almost traditional, slow start of Clonakilty in the All Ireland League shows no sign of abating. Never has a Clon team been so well-prepared and there were genuine hopes that they could upset the form book by winning away on the first day of the campaign. De La Salle Palmerston were not the most difficult of assignments that they will meet in the division and indeed they were poor in the first half but still managed to take the break 20 points to the good. It is a game that needs to be consigned to the mental waste-paper basket as it is highly unlikely that the squad can suffer such a collective loss of form again.
It was a really bad day at the office as they crashed to a big defeat with very few players enhancing their reputations. The start was good with Clon dominating the opening and looking the better side. However once DLSP got into the Clon half and scored their first points it was all downhill to the break. Clon’s scrum was in difficulty and must take responsibility for the first try. DLSP’s scrum half their best player, was well taken by Joe Crowley at the base of the scrum and dispossessed. The ball was there for the taking but nobody broke from the Clon scrum to take advantage and the opportunity was lost as instead DLSP capitalised to score and Clon were five down after five minutes. The second after 17 mins was also painful With Crowley receiving attention the side switched off and a quick throw into the lineout was handed to the DLSP hooker who barged over from two metres. The conversion was good and they led by 10 points after 18 minutes. The third try was equally facile and a penalty sent Clon into the break with a 20 point mountain facing them.
DLSP’s fourth and bonus point winning try shortly after the break albeit from a forward pass did little to boost the confidence and with the referee also appearing to blow Clon off the park the game was gone and even the bonus point was untouchable. The early lethargy was inexplicable but it was not all bad. Clon did improve in the second half but the problem was that so did DLSP. The loss of Joe Knowles to the sin bin did not help the cause and from the resultant penalty the Dubliners scored their fifth try but he chances were still there. Some very good moves were encouraging with a disallowed try for a knock-on but Clon did go on to score two excellent tries. First Alfie Harte took a quick tap and good work and quick hands from Crowley Kurt Morath and Paul Dillon saw Darragh Lynch dive in at the corner. The difficult conversion was made to look easy by Morath and at least Clon were on the board at 30 – 7. A penalty to DLSP and another try added to the misery before Clon scored their second try. This was the result of a great break from Mike Keohane and Noel O’Sullivan was on hand to take the pass and he outpaced the defence to the line. Morath’s conversion gave some respectability to the score line. Clon’s player of the day was new signing Dean Landy who had a great outing.
A win in the first game of the league is not “essential” or “crucial” words that one hears regularly in this context. It is of course highly desirable as it establishes momentum but it would be worse to have lost at home. With players having to play out of position and with a number still to come into the squad there will be improvement but can it happen in a week? Belfast Harlequins provide the opposition for the West Cork club in their first home game this Saturday in The Vale. The northerners won their first game in style beating Old Crescent 31 – 16 and will travel in confidence. The squad was: Noel O’Sullivan, Eric Murphy, Darragh Lynch, David Lombard, JD O’Mahony, Kurt Morath, Joe Crowley, Tom Ryan, Alfie Harte, Joe Knowles, Danny Whelton, Dean Landy, Ger McCarthy, Michael Peter O’Regan, Mike Keohane, Hugh O’Neill, Derry O’Neill, Jason Fleming, Paddy Ryan and Paul Dillon.
Midleton 7
Clonakilty 34
The Senior Seconds lifted the gloom somewhat with a highly impressive win in Midleton in the league. Many players held their hands up in this game and Clon coach Dave O’Mahony will be heartened by this display. A number of players were tested out of their normal positions and all came through with flying colours. Captained by the excellent John O’Regan they took this game from the start and never allowed Midleton get into it hard though they tried. John O’Donnell in his first game of the season celebrated his engagement to physio Maeve Quirke with a superb performance at full back. Eric Murphy at scrum half was also impressive and the industrious Paddy Ryan and abrasive Jason Fleming also caught the eye. Ciarán Calnan was in complete control at out half and Matt Kirby showed deft touches.
Two tries from Matt Kirby, one each from Ciarán Murphy, Paul Dillon, John O’Donnell and a Drop Goal and three conversions from Ciarán Calnan gave Clon a well-deserved 34 – 7 win. The seven was debatable as Midleton drove Clon over the line Eric Murphy clearly touched down but the replacement referee awarded the try to Midleton. There was little dissent as indeed the East Cork side deserved more for their efforts than that score. The squad was John O’Donnell, Ryan O’Flynn, John O’Driscoll, Paul Dillon, Matt Kirby, Ciarán Calnan, Eric Murphy, Derry O’Neill, Hugh O’Neill, Eoin Murphy, Sam Dignan, Jason Fleming, Ciarán Murphy, Paddy Ryan, John O’Regan and Owen Jackson.
Kinsale 13
Clonakilty 10
The J2s were unfortunate not to record a win as they went down in Kinsale by one score 13 – 10. Short a number of experienced regulars they started this game in whirlwind fashion and created an excellent team try for Gareth Boohig. Thereafter the crafty Kinsale side were dominant and took the lead with a penalty, a try and conversion to lead by 10 points to 5 at half time. The Clon team worked worked hard in the second half and scored an excellent try by the ever industrious Alan Harte. Unfortunately a number of kicks at goal were missed during the game and close to the finish Kinsale kicked an excellent penalty from the touchline to win the game.
The team had a mixture of experience, beginners and under 19 players in the side. New players to the team included Kieran O’Donovan, Shane O’Driscoll, Barry Houlihan and Brian Gallwey. All played well and will gain from the experience of this game. The under 19 contingent of Ethan Jennings, Gareth Boohig, Paraic O’Leary, Adam Henson and Owen Jackson are fine players in the making and all contributed well to the team. The front of Pa O’Sullivan, Declan McCarthy and Kieran Hurley are front rows with the potential to play the game at a higher level. The important experience in the side came from Tim O’Regan, Alan Harte, John Allman, John Dineen, Michael Murphy, Diarmuid O’Sullivan and Tim Walsh.
Clonakilty 29
Skibbereen 5
The Under 17s had a great victory over neighbours Skibbereen in near ideal conditions. Good training numbers were at the heart of a very rewarding Clon win. The foundation for the win was laid down by a hard working pack bringing training drills to the game plan. Both scrum and lineout were productive while still leaving room for improvement. Clon constantly crossed the gain line at close quarters using good driving and support play to test Skibb’s defence. Prominent in these attacks were A Flynn, G O’Mahoney, D Hennessy, R O’Mahoney, J O’Donovan and J Wilcox. Half backs G Ryan & R Courtney controlled the game well, with centres S Sheehan and, R Nash controlling the defensive line against creative Skibb backs. Wings S Cronin and G Brennan were resolute in defence and full backs Z Albehdlie’s impressive counter attack running was a feature of the game. A late lapse in defensive concentration led to a last minute try when Clon failed to regroup in the last minute.
Tries by Z Albehdlie, A Flynn, S O’Donovan and J O’Donovan and a penalty and three conversions from G Ryan was a good return for the efforts. Overall Clon were rewarded for the good work shown at training in the past three weeks and this squad has the potential to put in a good league campaign if the collective work ethic shown to date remains. U17 Training each Monday and Wednesday Night 6:30 Sharp. All Welcome The Squad was Ben Howarth, Andrew Flynn, Chris Hayes, Shane O’Donovan, Dean Hennessy, Donal Duignan, Jack O’Donovan, Ronan O’Mahoney, Greg O’Mahoney, Eoin Hartnett, Josh Wilcox, Billy O’Regan, Gerry Ryan, Ruairc Courtney, Scott Sheehan, Ruairi Hash, Sam Cronin, Zen Albehdlie, Gearoid Brennan, Eoin O’Neill, Andrew Flynn, Billy Verlinder, Connor O’Brien, Kevin Decays-Dune.
Congratulations from all at Clonakilty RFC to Maeve Quirke and John O’Donnell recently engaged

Saturday 10th
Under 15s V Dunmanway, Dunmanway, 11.30
Under 17s V Bandon, League, Bandon 11.30
Under 19s V Dunmanway, Dunmanway 11.30
Seniors V Belfast Harlequins. All Ireland League, The Vale 2.30pm
Sunday 11th
J2s V Bandon, League 12 noon.

Having being victorious in last year competition, UCC completed the double in the above tournament which was held in Ballinakill on Saturday last by virtue of a hard fought victory over Leinster rivals, Terenure, on a scoreline of 10-7. With the scores level at 7-7 at the end of normal time the game went into overtime and with the both sides repelling any attacks from the opposition, it took a massive penalty strike by Kevin Kidney, son of Ireland and former Munster Coach, Declan, from over forty metres out to break the stalemate and at the final whistle it was a happy UCC captain who brought the trophy back to Leeside.

Seven teams competed with UCC, Blackrock, Barnhall and Cashel in Group A and Terenure, Tullow and host side Waterpark in Group B. UCC and Blackrock emerged from “A” and Terenure and Waterpark from “B” to set up the Semi-Final pairings of UCC v Waterpark and Blackrock v Terenure.
In the first semi UCC overcame Park by 10-0 and Terenure just edged out Blackrock by 10-7 in the other semi.

The Player of the Tournament, which is decided by the Referees, went to the Terenure scrum half, Darragh Joyce who was outstanding in all his sides games throughout the competition.

This excellent Tournament is run by Waterpark RFC at their grounds in Ballinakill, Waterford on the weekend before the start of the A.I.L. Competition each year.

It wasn’t really the way we wanted to start our defence of the AIB league. Granted, we had the floodlights, we had the crowd ,we even had the dramatic 80th minute try from David Quinlan to edge us in front, but I don’t think many sides do drama any better than Shannon and Garryowen over the 19 years of the league. One would have thought we had it sealed, and even as the clock ticked into the 4th minute of injury time, it still seemed likely that the home side would suffer another last minute defeat as we recycled with confidence. Quite possibly two, or at the most three, more phases would have secured a precious win, but a mistake afforded Garryowen a scrum. However, from just inside their own half we still had confidence. What transpired in the subsequent 3 minutes or so was text book stuff. Garryowen’s patience was probably borne out of desperation, but patience gave them the glimmer and Willie Staunton’s mammoth drop goal from almost 45 meters out gave them victory. Crushing may well be too strong a word to describe the defeat; frustration is probably more apt. There were several areas of frustration, some beyond our control, but some of our own doing. I think few would have argued against the result if we held out. We dominated possession, but failed to capitalise on several scoring opportunities with the boot and out of hand. A spilt pass, a wrong option or inaccuracy all contributed to our downfall and it should never really have taken until the dying minutes of normal time for us to take the lead. These are the harsh lessons of rugby and I know one thing for sure, those lessons will be headed and improved upon. It’s of little consolation, but memories of last season’s first round defeat to Blackrock and the subsequent season we had have been mentioned by supporters , but we all know the quality of the league has changed dramatically and we can’t rely on golden memories to pull us through. What is of consolation though is the fact that we get a second crack at Garryowen later in the season. We had two league debutants for the club on Friday night, and both filled their jerseys well. Batt Duggan had a solid game at hooker while Felix Jones showed glimpses of why he is the rising star of Irish rugby. Saturday’s game against St Marys takes on added significance with the Dubliners on a high after their bonus point win over Clontarf. Saturday also sees us return to Thomond Park for an AIB League game and hopefully we’ll get a good crowd to support the lads. Kickoff is at 2.30.
Dooradoyle provided further disappointment on Saturday as the seconds were also defeated by Garryowen in the league. In similar circumstances to the senior game, especially in the first half, we had plenty of possession but failed to breech the whitewash. For whatever reason the second half didn’t produce the same intensity from our lads and Garryowen took full advantage. Paddy O’Sullivan’s two penalties were scarcely enough and the home side secured victory by 13-6. There’s no doubt the seconds will become more settled as the season progresses and consequently will improve and hopefully that improvement will begin on Sunday when they travel to Derryknockane to play Young Munster with a 2.30 start.
The thirds played a friendly against UL/Bohs and despite a good performance, they couldn’t secure a win. They are still in preparation mode for the Gleeson league and continue this Saturday with another friendly against Richmond in the canal bank at 12.30.
This Sunday the U/21’s begin their assault on the south-western conference with a very difficult away game to Buccaneers. This season we have augmented our already talented squad with some outstanding players from schools and have invested heavily in a development programme. With George Murray and James Hickey at the helm expectations are reasonably high with our U/21’s. We certainly know the talent is there in abundance which we hope will translate into results. We wish all the lads the best for their campaign.
On the back of an opening defeat in the league against Youghal the ladies senior side travel to Clanwilliam on Sunday looking to make amends.
It would seem that all of Garryowen’s sides gleaned confidence from their seniors as their U/17’s also took the scalp of our lads in LIT and unfortunately our U/19s game had to be abandoned due to a serious injury to an Ennis player who has since recovered.
Tadgh Crowe has asked to mention that tickets for Munster’s first Heineken cup game in Thomond Park against Treviso are available. Terrace tickets are all that are available and members are encouraged to get in contact as soon as possible to avoid disappointment. Also this season the club will be looking for payment on delivery of the tickets so we can balance the books.
Finally we mention the passing of a great Shannon supporter for many years. Fr Angus Finnicune was a very enthusiastic support and travelled to many games from his base for many a long year. His recent passing will be mourned by the great many friends he had in the club.


DFP – Right Column – HalfPage


DFP – Right Column – MPU

Related News

The majority of the Munster squad are training at the HPC this week as the internationals joined the pre-season training programme. Preparations for our opening...