DFP Header Area

Share this MunsterRugby.ie page

News from around the Clubs week ending 6th December

11th December 2009 By Munster Rugby

News from around the Clubs week ending 6th December

Latest News from clubs around Munster


Second XV record a welcome
win over Waterford City

Less than 10 days ago, the writing appeared to be on the wall for Carrick-on-Suir RFC’s Seconds Team.
Those players that were making it to training were giving it as good as they got, make no mistake – the problem was, there just wasn’t enough of them there often enough to keep the train on the tracks.
So the curtain was drawn on the team just under a fortnight ago. For fellas who just wanted a run-out every few weeks, and for those younger lads anxious to make the step up into the First XV, the news came as a disappointment.
Thankfully, a reprieve was made and a match was arranged with our neighbours from Waterford City, a curtain raiser to the Division Three B match between the same two clubs on Sunday last. And from the moment one took to the field, one sensed what was at stake.
Knowing a stay of execution had been granted seemed to focus the minds on Sunday. There was a bit of banter in the dressing room when players were getting kitted out, but that all stopped once we took to the paddock.
As the freezing rain sheeted down on both sets of players during the warm up (of which there was nothing warm about), a short rucking session was called for by player/coach Jamie Walsh.
Players bashed into each other to retain and protect the ball, possession of which was to prove crucial on such an inclement day. Fellas were screaming for support as the ‘pods’ of players assembled to do their defensive duty.
We might be operating on the more social end of the game but there was nothing remotely jolly about the warm-up: there was a game to be won and a team to be salvaged.
Over the hour, the effort from all 19 players who were involved couldn’t be questioned, as Carrick recorded a 10-3 win; two tries from the energetic Leon Bester ensuring a deserved and needed success.
Everyone called upon to make a tackle made it. The chasing down and harrying of City when they had the ball was, at times, exemplary.
Fellas knew there was more at stake than just the result of the match and that translated into their performance: full of conviction, passion and power.
The mood at full-time was understandably buoyant and it also included a welcome refrain from virtually every player: “When’s our next game?”
It may have taken a little longer than anticipated, but it’s abundantly clear that a spark was lit inside a group of players on Sunday morning, during a rip-roaring warm-up in god-awful conditions. Here’s to more of the same.

Carrick-on-Suir Second Squad: Mick Dempsey (captain), Leon Bester, Ed Walsh, James Hogan, Deck Robinson, Killian Walsh, Stephen Hackett, Eoin Power, Philip Dalton, Kevin Lanigan, Dermot Lanigan, Jason Lonergan, Dermot Keyes, Pat Lanigan, Aaron O’Donnell, Paul Moore, John Phelan, Sean Paul Fitzpatrick, Ray Cullen, Jamie Walsh (player/coach).

Carrick-on-Suir First XV
Dylan’s ‘Late Late Show’
gives Carrick a vital win

Division 3B: Carrick-on-Suir 14 Waterford City 10

Not for the first time, Carrick and Waterford City produced another highly physical and thoroughly competitive derby in Tybroughney on Sunday last, with the red and blue again emerging victorious.

As it was the previous Sunday away to Douglas, Carrick were in arrears and scoreless at half-time but once again managed to turn matters around to dramatically clinch victory.

In a match played in chilly, windy conditions, both packs enjoyed a mighty tussle and it was no surprise that on a heavy sod, most of the game was played upfront.
City started the stronger, pressing Carrick back into their own 22, but failed to convert their early territorial supremacy into points, with Aaron Foskin missing penalties in the fifth and 24th minutes.

But in the 37th minute, Foskin didn’t let the visitors down at the third time of asking, bisecting the uprights, giving the men from Kilbarry a deserved lead.

Moments later, City increased their advantage, but in hugely controversial circumstances as far as Carrick’s players, officials and supporters were concerned.

Running on to a clearing kick by Carrick wing Eddie O’Donnell, City winger Conan Watt caught the ball excellently and powered towards the line with 25 metres between him and the whitewash.

His opposing number Michael Cronin, who would make a significant second half contribution, didn’t move to close Watt down as he and some of his nearby team mates clearly believed that Watt had run into touch. In fact, they certain of it.

The touch judge on that side of the field – from Waterford City- chose to keep his flag down, despite protestations from Carrick players that Watt was a couple of yards in touch.

Watt touched down and the try was awarded by referee Shane White, much to the frustration of the trailing side.

Foskin converted to leave City 10 up at half-time and Carrick crying injustice.

The second half was very much like the first, only this time it was Carrick, aided by the wind, who enjoyed the lion’s share of possession and territory.

Within four minutes of the restart, City’s lead was reduced to three thanks to a tremendous try from replacement Brian Dignam after great work in the loose by Carrick prop John Phelan.

It was ‘Diggy’s’ fifth try in five outings this season, representing a tremendous return from the Garda.

Cronin, from wide on the right touchline, struck a superb conversion to leave just a penalty between the sides.

A missed penalty on the hour mark left Cronin and his team mates frustrated, as City continued to defend excellently.

Both packs pummelled each other while largely holding their discipline, a testament to alert minds surely housed by then tiring bodies.

With time running out, thanks to quick hands across the field after recycling possession, Carrick spotted a rare chink of light in the City defence.

The ball found its way into the grasp of John Phelan (our own ‘Bull’), who ran a super line, drawing a City defender before planting a flat pass into the arms of the onrushing Dylan Davies.

The Kiwi showed a great turn of pace and held off the advances of the closing City defence to touch down in the left corner for what proved the winning try.

Cronin stepped up to the mark again, on the opposite side of the field from his previous effort, to register another superb conversion. The day belonged to Carrick.

Next Sunday (2.30), will see Carrick travel to Mallow, with the hosts aiming to avenge their O’Sullivan Cup defeat.

Mallow still have promotion ambitions of their own, so another mighty effort will be required from our lads at training during the week ahead of next Sunday’s encounter.

Wind, rain and almost nigh-time lighting conditions made for one of the hardest games seen in Kilballyowen in a few years. Not a day for kickers even though the breeze appeared to come directly from the road end of the main pitch. 15 minutes in the DLSP Scrum half Jinka hit the post with his first effort and caused a scurry around the twenty-two before Bruff managed to clear the lines. Play

Finally against the run of play, the DLSP No. 8 Power touched down for the DLSP first try of the day with Jinka adding the extras to give them a 7 point lead. Cahill’s first penalty effort fell short on thirty-five minutes, And then in injury time Jinka added another to go into the break on the right side of a 10-nil lead.

The second half began with Bruff doing most of the attacking but unable to convert massive tracts of possession into points. Four minutes in Cahill put over his first kick of the day to eat into the ten point lead but even with wave after wave of attack Bruff took another sixteen minutes before they crossed the whitewash courtesy of winger Cashman, Cahill missing the conversion to claw back the lead to two points. The game continued with Bruff maintaining their onslaught on the DLSP twenty-two but it took right until the 75th minute before Bruff took the lead, J. Shine breaking the defence finally and Brian Cahills conversion putting a little daylight between them, bringing the score to 15 points to ten. DLSP finally got their attack formations together in the final five minutes and were rewarded with less than a minute to go with a try courtesy of Winger Power, Jinka missing the conversion which would have given them the steal. Bruff managed to hold on for the three minutes of injury time to close out the game level on fifteen points apiece.

Bruff scores: B. Cahill, 1 P, 1 C, Tries: A. Cashman, J. Shine.

All other Adult games fell to the weather and pitch conditions over the weekend.

The U13 and U14 and U17 squads were all out over the weekend,

U13’s Drew 15 all with Newcastle West, The U14’s sustained a heavy loss against UL Bohs 22 nil and The U17’s had a good win away to Garryowen, winning by 18 points to 14.


Next Weekend sees a return to travelling on the road with the last trip away before the new year up to Dublin University on Saturday 12th , Kickoff as usual at 2:30pm. No supporters bus at present.

The U21’s are away to Buccaneers with a provisional 2:30pm kickoff.

The J2’s Are away to Garryowen on Saturday with a provisional 2:30pm kickoff,.

Sunday 13th sees the J1 squad away to Old Crescent in the Munster Senior Seconds League, again with a provisional 2:30pm kickoff time.

The U8,9,10,11 &12’s are all away to Newcastle West with blitzes.

The U15’s have a game at home to Thomond with an 11:00 am kickoff and the U16’s have a friendly venue and time to be confirmed.

The usual caveat, keep an eye on the website www.bruffrfc.com for fixture and time updates.

This year’s Member’s Christmas Party takes place on Sunday 20th after the MSSL game at home. With the away Perpignan game on the box things will start to roll at around 1:00pm or so for the home game and continue on from there.

The first Poker classic has been re-fixed for the 2nd of January, at around 8:00pm doors will open.

Next committee meeting takes place on Monday 14th at 8:00pm.


Senior XVS Barnhall 6 pts Versus Sundays Well 11pts
In his first ever AIL match for the ‘Well, Danny O’Shea produced a superb performance to help his team secure a well deserved and gritty victory, as he got all the side’s points courtesy of a try, penalty and a drop-goal. It was a great all round display that sees the ‘Well firmly in contention for the promotion race. Each and every player put their bodies on the line in a tough gruelling battle, while the large and very vocal travelling support also played a significant part in boosting the team’s morale. Danny O’Shea, who grabbed the headlines with his scoring feats, had an excellent debut. His magnificent long range kicking relieved the pressure on several occasions and also set up some great attacking opportunities. It was not only a kicking display he produced as he along with the superb Tom Parker at scrum-half, orchestrated several attacks through the hands and the young fly-half wasn’t afraid of doing some dirty work with a couple of crucial hits. Tom Parker, as ever was a livewire at scrum-half with his dazzling break towards the latter stages of the first-half setting up the attacking position from which the try came. He used all his experience, knowing when it was the right time to spread the ball wide or keep it in amongst the pack and a couple of clever kicks also had the opposition under pressure. The pack put in another powerful display and absolutely demolished the host’s scrum with every single player in the front five worthy of great credit in this department. They also produced several beautiful driving mauls while the back-row of James Mulcahy, Chris Long and Cillian Casey all put in the hard graft with some superb vital tackles as well as making good ground with the ball in hand. Despite the difficult conditions, the backs were very much involved in the play. Centres Alan Long and David Twohig were cutting holes on several occasions with wingers John Verling and Mike Flood also posing a serious threat. Barry Hanrahan didn’t get overly involved in the attacking game but carried out his duties at full-back to great effect, covering a lot of ground and being rock solid under numerous high balls.

In the second half the ‘Well managed to take more control of the game, thanks in no part to a rock-solid scrum. Michael Moynihan and Aonrai O’Donovan had their opposing props under all sorts of pressure but they were also greatly helped by John Moynihan at hooker who kept things tight and the strong shove from behind, particularly by the second rows. The pack were also getting on top at the breakdown, which was hotly contested throughout the course of the match. This forward pressure increased the options available to the half-backs and Tom Parker used his blistering pace to break off the fringe of a ruck, racking into the Twenty-Two and while he was stopped, he did set up the platform from which the ‘Well would score the only try. The pack produced some superb drives, with Cillian Casey and Michael Moynihan both coming close. They kept hammering away at the Kildare side’s defence and it was the unlikely Danny O’Shea who was the one who ploughed his way through for the try as he got a huge drive to power his way over the line The ‘Well continued to press but deep into injury time, Barnhall went back on the offensive and came away with another penalty by Leo Quinn to put his side 6-5 in front at the interval. It could have been much worse but a magnificent double tackle by O’Shea and Chris Long; who enjoyed another enormous display kept the ‘Well’s try-line intact. With the wind increasing in strength, it was a great chance for the ‘Well to keep Barnhall pinned deep back inside their own half. They retook the lead within minutes of the restart, as O’Shea took over the kicking duties and slotted a relatively easy penalty from in front of the posts after a superb break by Alan Long. O’Shea had the last say, with a superb drop goal effort sailing through despite grazing off some Barnhall hands, with many thinking that an original effort from much further out should have also been awarded. All in all, a magnificent victory which sees the ‘Well competing up at the right end of the table. They face another huge game next week against Connemara at Musgrave Park who are scrapping for their lives towards the bottom. Any ‘Well fan will know that a game against the Galway club is never easy and they will need to show similar grit and commitment to end the year on a high.

The Management and coaches of the Senior XVs would like to thank the travelling support that travelled from all ends of the country especially all those that travelled up from Cork and down from Dublin, and hope we can continue to bring support like that to more of our away games.

Match Reports” A Well Man”

Under 21s Cork Con 6 pts Sundays Well 5 pts
The U21’s were desperately unlucky not to come away from Temple Hill with a victory last Friday night. The ‘Well lost out 6-5 to their city rivals in a tight battle in poor conditions. Con went into the break 6-0 up, though the score line didn’t reflect the extended spells of dominance enjoyed by the ‘Well in the opening half. While Con’ got the better of the early exchanges at scrum time, the ‘Well pack dominated the breakdown with their physical and aggressive approach helping set the platform for some good possession. The pack put in a hardworking performance, with Captain Chris O’ Sullivan and man of the match Ian Murphy in outstanding form. The ‘Well lost centre John Devane to injury early on and were forced into positional changes in the backline that upset their flow behind the scrum. Despite Con’ enjoying territorial advantage, the halftime score line reflected the massive defensive effort put in by the ‘Well lads.

It was more of the same after the break and the ‘Well found themselves starting to enjoy some good possession. Occasional breaks into Con’ territory came on the back of some improved kicking from the ‘Well, while the backline began to find holes in the opposition defence. However, Con’ counter-attacked well and only for some more brave defending the ‘Well could have been further behind going into the last quarter. In the closing stages the ‘Well scrum improved and the boot of Luke Duffy helped gain a foothold in Con territory. At that point the ‘Well were unquestionably the better side, and with just over 10 minutes on the clock more hard work by the pack forced a penalty with Luke(the boot) Duffy finding touch 15 meters out from the Con’ line. With clean possession, the ‘Well mauled superbly to go over with Liam Walsh the try scorer. The conversion would have given the ‘Well the lead going into the last 10 minutes but in appalling conditions Luke Duffy pulled it narrowly wide. That was to be the last chance for the ‘Well with much of the remaining minutes spent heroically defending their line. The players will have been disappointed with the result though they can take heart from a massively positive performance and can look forward to the UL Bohs games in two weeks time with confidence.
Match Reports” Dave Hanley”

Under 19s Fermoy pts Versus Sundays Well pts
The U19 got the best possible Christmas present last Saturday when they came away with a memorable victory form a wet and windy Fermoy. The win now means that they are guaranteed a home draw in the South Munster U19 league and also qualifies them for the Muster league, with the first game on the 16th January. The game was played in terrible conditions with the Well playing into a strong breeze in the first half. The weather dictated that this would be a low scoring game and when the Well scored a try after 20 minutes from some great forward work, with No. 4 Cian O’ Callaghan crossing the line. It was a great boost. Although Fermoy spent most of the first half in the Well territory, they never looked like scoring. The second try came from some great forward work as the pack rucked and mauled their way down the pitch before Jack O’ Connell burst his way over the line for another try which Eoin Philpott converted. Fermoy did manage to get a penalty to leave the score 12-3 at half time. The second half started with the Well putting huge pressure on Fermoy’s defence but with the weather now deteriorating even further, ball-handling became difficult with the Well missing several changes to score because of knock-on’s. Fermoy were pinned in their own half for the majority of the last thirty minutes and the game finished with a deserved win for the Well
Match Reports” Alec Rose”

Club News.
New Sundays Well Lotto 4th Draw

The weekly member’s private lotto draw was held last Tuesday. This lotto is running separately to the Euro Millions lotto that is already up and running. This Lotto will have a weekly drawing of numbers

This weeks winning numbers were: 02 09 28
The draw had a guaranteed pot of €;550

The Jackpot was not won this week so the prize pot for the next draw will be €;650 at least and there was a draw for

3 prizes of €;25.

The winners of the draw were:
1) Mr. K.Dunn
2) Mr.J. McCarthy
3) Mr.N. Murphy

Youths Club Wear
Gear is available to order in the clubhouse on next Saturday Morning from 10am. to 11.30am.

Club Christmas Calendar
Our senior panel have posed for a Christmas Calendar this year.
This is available from the club bar.

Munster V Northampton
Some terrace tickets are still available for the forthcoming Heineken Cup pool game between Munster and Northampton Saints on the weekend of January 22nd / 23rd / 24th please note the change of dates. It is advisable to purchase tickets early to avoid disappointment.

Please contact Michael Barry at e-mail mikebarry1@eircom.net

Christmas Gig @ “the WelL”
Mr Jimmy Crowley will play a concert in the club house on the 18th of December price €;10 and starts at 8.30pm.

Have you got your Rubber Ducky yet?????????

The Sundays Well Youth section will be having its annual duck race on December 27th
Buy a Duck for €;5 and help our youth section.
Please Return your Duck Race Cards by December 12th

Having a Party or Celebration


Have it in your CLUB

Please Contact Mr. Niall Murphy


12th /13th Dec 09.
It is Important YOU support our teams Looking forward to seeing YOU soon.
Come and meet old and new friends.

All Games to be played subject to improved weather conditionsco

Senior XVS Versus Connemara Kick Off 2 pm Saturday Musgrave Park AIL
(please note time change)

Junior 1s Versus Midleton Kick Off 2.30 pm Sunday Towns Park Seconds League:

Junior 2s Versus Muskerry Kick Off 12 noon Sunday, Ballyanly, J2 League

Under 21s Game OFF v Galwegians

Under 19s No Game this week

Under17s Versus Kinsale Kick Off 12 noon Saturday Kinsale RFC, Friendly

Under15s Versus Charleville Kick Off 12 noon Saturday Charleville, League

Under 11s Versus Highfield Kick Off 11am. Saturday, Woodleigh Park, League

Under 12s Versus Bandon Saturday 11 am Bandon

Under 11s Blitz V 3 Teams, Saturday 11 am Muskerry R.F.C.
Under 10s Versus Bandon Saturday 11 am Bandon
Under 9s Blitz V 3 Teams Saturday 11 am Muskerry R.F.C.

Under 8s Versus Bandon Saturday 11 am Bandon

Under 7s Versus Bandon Saturday 11 am Bandon

“Away the Well”

Thierry Henry and his nimble handy work will always be etched in the minds of Irish soccer supporters. His exploits ensured Ireland was denied an opportunity to qualify for the soccer world cup and thus engender a sense of outrage amongst the sporting nation. The AIB league may not have the same mass appeal as our counterparts with the round ball, but nonetheless the passion and enthusiasm is no less amongst our own club supporters.

Never have I seen so many mild mannered club people so vexed with anger and bitterness than I did at the end of our slender 9-8 defeat to Cork Constitution last Saturday. Nobody condones any form of abusive behaviour towards officials but passion in your club often invokes emotion that would not be your average feelings. To award a free kick in the 3rd minute of injury time for a crocked feed into a scrum when our scrum was rock solid throughout the game baffled many. Our defence looked solid in the helter skelter that followed, but again another sharp shrill of the whistle signalled another apparent infringement, but this time in front of the posts and a full penalty. The simple kick was followed immediately by the full time whistle and the sense of bewilderment, not only at those match defining decisions, but with a number of others throughout the game began. There’s no doubting that we deserved the spoils from the game. Cork Con played as we expect, hard, tough and fair, but on the day we held the advantage, if not on the scoreboard. The strong breeze didn’t have the impact that it posed in our ill fated AIB cup game and only for a suspect penalty we would have turned at the break ahead, with the advantage of the wind to come. Stephen Kelly rounded off an excellent move with a try in the corner after Con went ahead, but another almost certain try went a beg through sloppy handling. Had that try been scored, perhaps the controversy may never have materialised.

Twice now we have been denied a victory with the last kick of the game deep in injury time, but at least Garryowen, in the opening game of the season, worked their socks off for their excellent drop goal. As usual a team review of the game took place, and as usual the players detached themselves from the emotive issues and focused on the positives and areas where improvement can be achieved. Move on was the message during the week, and a refocus on the next game against Clontarf this Saturday. Apart from the superb team performance, Saturday’s game marked U/21 Paddy Butler’s first senior start and his selection was thoroughly justified. Along with Gracie and Quinny in the backrow, he marshalled the base of the scrum superbly and his talents were abundantly clear to see for those in attendance.

A supporters coach is leaving for Dublin from Thomond Park at 9.15am and anyone interested in travelling should contact Ger Mc Closkey.

Despite the disappointment with the seniors result there was plenty to be positive about on Saturday.

The thirds played on the Well pitch against Old Crescent in the Gleeson league and again claimed maximum points with a 10 – 0 scoreline. It was a result that we were made to work for and much of our difficulties were of our own making, especially when we had the favourable elements in the first half. An uncharacteristic sluggish 40 minutes failed to yield a score, but player coach Tony Flynn espoused his words of wisdom at the break which reignited the familiar passion of the thirds. Old Crescent found it difficult to get a grip on the injection of pace and 2 tries from Jon Lynch and Paddy Reidy ensured another win. The lads are top of the table and are in prime position to see their way through to the playoffs; however they do have a few difficult ties remaining. They have a break from competitive action this but Saturday they play Thomond in a challenge game in Woodview at 12pm. It will be an ideal opportunity for more of the panel to get valuable game time and try force their way into the starting XV.

Away from Coonagh, the U/21’s travelled to play Galwegians in a wet and windswept Crowley park which proved very challenging for both sides. The Galway outfit have always proved difficult opposition, especially when playing at home but this time round our lads proved more than a match and ran out comfortable winners in the end. However, despite the 50-0 scoreline it wasn’t all one way traffic and it took until the 30 minute before we registered a score. Early penalty misses from the home side were matched with a few of our own but slowly our lads took control of the. The day wasn’t best suited to slick hands and it was the forwards that battered and bruised their way to the opening score. Jer Moore crossed first and then Captain Johnny Deegan added another with Ben Sargeant adding the extras. Whilst taking the advantage into the second half, the usual work rate from the lads was lacking, however the second half brought an added impetus and the some of the play belied the conditions. A further 6 tries were scored with Luke O’Dea crossing three times, Darragh Turner twice and Craig O’Hanlon once with Ben Sargeant chipping in 10 additional points with the boot. Sterner tests lay ahead but Saturday was very satisfying for many reasons. The rescheduled game against Cork Con takes place in Coonagh on the 19th which will see first v second in section B.

The seconds were disappointed to have their game in Bruff cancelled due to pitch conditions but return to action on Sunday when they play Thomond in Coonagh at 2.30.

The ladies host Galbally in the AIL, also in Coonagh on Sunday at 1pm.

The underage sides also had plenty to cheer about with both the 13’s and 14’s recording comfortable victories and hopefully they can maintain their level of performance when they play Garryowen and Ennis respectively. The 13’s are in Coonagh and the 14’s travel up to Ennis. The U/15’s take on Young Munster in Greenfields. All games are at 11.30.

Tickets for the St Stephens day Magners league game Munster V Connacht are available from Tadgh Crowe while the launch of our new fundraising venture takes place this weekend. A club calendar for 2010 has been produced and through photographs charts all facets of our club. All our underage teams are featured as well as the ladies, seniors, our Internationals and a number of familiar club personalities. It would make a nice Christmas present for all our members and supporters, as well as the parents and relations of our underage players. Generous sponsorship from our main Club Sponsors, O2 has helped us cost this top quality publication at only €;10. The calendars will be available through the club shop, underage committee, in the clubhouse and various locations. Please sup


DFP – Right Column – HalfPage


DFP – Right Column – MPU

Related News

Munster Rugby are currently inviting applications for the role of Academy & Pathway Physiotherapist. The post holder is required to provide physiotherapy services to the...