DFP Header Area

Share this MunsterRugby.ie page

News from around the Clubs – 15th November

19th November 2009 By Munster Rugby

News from around the Clubs – 15th November

News from around the Province

Shannon impress in Blackrock
Blackrock 15 Shannon 21
Shannon propelled themselves right back into the AIB league title race with an outstanding victory over Blackrock by 21-15 in Stradbrook with the only downside being an early and serious looking injury to captain Mossy Lawler.
Shannon were boasted by availability of Munster Players , Ian Dowling, Niall Ronan and Felix Jones and all three made an immense contribution to the win but it was a number of Shannon’s regulars that produced the most eye catching performances.
Stephen Kelly’s contribution went well beyond his two first half tries, while Fergal Walsh was a towering figure in lineouts and open play, but if there was to be man of the match than surely it would have found its way to Les Hogan. The prop was immense throughout and his work rate enormous, but clichéd as it may be, all of Shannon’s players made telling contributions.
Blackrock failed to breech Shannon’s water tight defence throughout the game and had to rely on the accuracy of James Power to secure their 15 points through penalties. Up until the last play of the game it appeared as if the home side would get nothing from the game , but Shannon strayed offside and the simple penalty in front of the posts gave them a valuable losing bonus point.
Shannon started the game with serious intent and maintained their fast pace throughout the game and after early pressure The opening score came after 16 minutes when Kelly pounced on a chip through and it was no more than the visitors deserved. However despite Shannon’s early pressure Blackrock kept in touch through two James Power penalties in the 24th and 26th minute.
When Blackrock’s No.8 Michael Carroll was sin binned for impeding Felix Jones after the full back kicked ahead Tadgh Bennett converted the resultant penalty and then in the 34th minute Shannon struck with a superb try from inside their own ’22. A combination of slick hands and shear pace saw Kelly touchdown for his second try , but again another Power penalty just on the stroke of half time allowed Blackrock to remain within striking distance.
An early second half drop goal from Tadgh Bennett preceded a period of dominance from the home side, but they failed to breech Shannon’s solid defence. Their only real opportunity was snuffled out by some outstanding covering by Felix Jones and it was the impressive fullback that added another drop goal in the 63rd minute to stretch Shannon’s lead to 12 points. At this stage Blackrock were throwing caution to the wind and their talented and speedy backline weren’t afraid to run from deep, but time and time again Shannon’s steely defence kept them at bay.
Another Power penalty reduced the deficit once again but time was running out and Shannon were now hoping to deny Blackrock a losing bonus point, but that task proved just beyond them and the home side did get some reward for their toil with the final kick of the game.
Shannon: 1. Les Hogan, 2. Mike Essex, 3. Kevin Griffin(Gary Mc Namara), 4. Padraic O’Brien(Paddy Butler), 5. Fergal Walsh, 6. Eoghan Grace, 7. Niall Ronan, 8. David Quinlan, 9. Rob Guerin, 10. Tadgh Bennett, 11. Stephen Kelly, 12. Ian Dowling, 13. Mossy Lawler .( Fionn McLoughlin)14. Ritchie Mullane, 15. Felix Jones
Shannon Notes Weekending November 21st 2009

It was one of those weekends where almost everything went well. Wins for the seniors, thirds and the U/21’s last Saturday ensured a happy evening for everyone in the Office bar where all the teams congregated. After our patchy start to the AIB league we now have secured two excellent wins on the trot To say that there was a sense of urgency in our senior training sessions during the week would probably be an understatement. Words that were spoken and promises of action to remedy our patch season certainly came to fruition in Stradbrook last Saturday when we had one of those performances that makes all the toil and trouble worthwhile. The attitude was obvious prior to the game and the fact that we had three bus loads of support which included a large number of our mini’s was a point reiterated throughout the build up. Blackrock enjoyed a good start to the league and to beat them on their home patch is always a formidable task. There’s no doubt the availability of three Munster players helped the cause, but I’ve no doubt that the performance that transpired would have happened had Ian Dowling, Niall Ronan or Felix Jones not been included. It was all about attitude. Felix played his third AIB League game of the season and again it’s easy to see why he’s tipped for the top. Niall lined out for the first time this season while for Ian it was his first time with us for a while and his influence both on and off the field was immense. However, it was our regulars that shone throughout and none more so than Les Hogan and Fergal Walsh whose work rate was tireless from beginning to end. Stephen Kelly grabbed the headlines with his brace of tries, but many won’t have noticed the amount of tackles he got through over the course of the game, and those tackles were crucial, from everybody, in the second half as Blackrock tried desperately to reduce the deficit. The wind was not as big a factor as it might have been and lessons were certainly learnt from our cup exit to Cork Con and it was Shannon that dominated the first half. It could easily have been a difficult 40 minutes especially when we lost Mossy very early to a serious looking injury, but a quick regroup ensured stability in midfield. Early prognosis on Mossy’s injury indicated a lengthy spell on the side lines, but thankfully a scan revealed its not quite as bad as initially thought, but nonetheless we’ll be without him for a few games. The concession of a losing bonus point to Blackrock at the very end of the game is the only minor downside, but I know for certain we would gladly have taken a one point win before the game. As we’ve said previously, it’s a long campaign with many bridges and obstacles to pass and hopefully last Saturday’s victory will see us gather momentum. There’s no senior game this week and the following Sunday week we play Dolphin in the deferred Munster senior cup game.
Back in Limerick on Saturday the U/21’s overcame a huge obstacle of their own when they defeated defending All Ireland champions UL/Bohs in their own back yard. It was a victory ground out through sheer determination and no little skill with the closing stages a time of drama. Ben Sergeant missed an opportunity to take the lead with a penalty in the 75th minute, but as confident as ever the talented centre landed a beauty from long range with 80 minutes on the clock. But the drama didn’t end there. Close to 5 minutes additional time was played during which the home side threw a full frontal assault at us, but it wasn’t enough and we held out for a victory that looked improbable after we went 12 nil down early in the first half albeit against a strengthening breeze. There’s a huge maturity about our U/21 side this season and they never panicked. Gradually, through the pack we forced our way back into the game and Ben was on target with a penalty to get us up and running and then soon after the pack drove over from a well organised lineout. Ger Moore who was in fine form was the last body off the deck and when Ben added the conversion the scoreline looked more appetising at 12-10 at half time. UL/.Bohs tacked on another penalty soon after the restart, but that was the sum total of their second half scoring. Ben’s two further penalties ensured the 16-15 victory and a considerable scalp in the league and with it a place on top of the table. Next up is another toughie but with home advantage. Cork Con come to Limerick on Saturday for a 2.30 start and with the seniors not in action we would urge our supporters to come out to Coonagh.
A frustrating afternoon would best describe the 3rds trip to Cashel in the Gleeson league and while an 11 – 10 victory over the holders Cashel can mask some of the problems encountered on the day, it has to be said this was a day on which our mental attitude was severely tested. Receiving 3 yellow cards in a game should warrant an examination of our on field discipline but nothing could be further from the truth, and we should commend the players for keeping their cool in trying circumstances.
Interpretations of the rules were conflicting with the man who controlled the whistle and at times it was very difficult, especially when we were on the attack in Cashel’s ’22. Thankfully the result went our way and the unbeaten run continues. Playing with a stiff breeze in the first half a long range penalty from Paddy Reidy and a fantastic break away try which was started and finished by Tony Flynn gave us an 8-3 lead at the interval. Defence was the key to the victory and our commitment to the tackle and the contest at the breakdown has to be applauded . A long range penalty from Fergus Curtin brought us to 13 -3 and victory was in sight but Cashel did eventually score at what we thought was the end of the game. However what we didn’t account for was an almost inexplicable addition of 18 minutes of injury time which accounted for high level of frustration but again the lads held tough for another magnificent victory. Garryowen are up next in Dooradoyle next Saturday at 2.30.
The seconds were desperately disappointed that they were given the points without a ball being kicked in their scheduled league game against Nenagh. The reason given was lack of props and the 2nds will have to wait until this Sunday for a game when Garryowen come to Coonagh for a 2.30 start.
As mentioned the U/9’s travelled in force to Blackrock and made their presence felt both on and off the pitch. It was a great day out for the players and their parents and the support for the seniors was greatly appreciated.
On Sunday the U/13’s continued their great season with a big win over Bruff while the U/19’s travelled to Ennis with a depleted side for a league playoff but in a very tight encounter we were beaten. It was a tremendous effort from the lads in a game that was certainly not without incident. The home side drew first blood with a try and then with when they had a numerical advantage Ennis scored again. An intercept try from Alan Dempsey brought us right back in it but despite the effort Ennis held out in a less than welcoming atmosphere.
Terrace tickets for Munster’s game with Perpignan are now available to our members and this time Ger Mc Closkey can be contacted.
A reminder that the annual Mass for deceased members takes place in Thomond Park on Friday 27th November.
Once again we are putting out an appeal for volunteers to help out in Coonagh. I know it’s a regular appeal but unfortunately the response thus far has not been great. There’s quite a bit of work to be carried out, but it’s nothing too onerous so if you have a few hours to spare at anytime, we could certainly do with your help. Development Chairman Ger Mc Closkey can be contacted at uniquehardwoods@eircom.net.
Finally we congratulate local referee Peter Fitzgibbon on his elevation to the senior international ranks when he took charge of Wales and Samoa last weekend. It’s great to see a man that started out taking charge of underage games reach the highest level and hopefully it can inspire some of our own players to take up the whistle.

British and Irish Cup match for Nenagh
As we prepare for Munster A to take on Bristol Rugby in the ‘British and Irish Cup’ in New Ormond Park on Friday night 27th November we are delighted to report that ticket sales are going very well. A large number of supporters are expected to travel from Bristol aswell as from all over Munster. Tickets are on sale now in 4 locations in the town, Talbots Menswear, Mitchell St., Gilmartin Auctioneers, Pearse St., The Dapp Inn and Una Powells. Park & Ride Facilities will be in place for this match.
Main pick-up point will be Nenagh Railway Station – other locations to be confirmed later. These will be notified in next week’s issue and also on our club website at www.nenaghormondrfc.com when confirmed.
These locations will be manned by NORFC stewards from 5.30 on the day of the match.
First Shuttle Bus will leave at 6pm and will run continuously. Return busses will leave immediately after the game and run until 10pm. Taxi services will be available after this time.

Senior XV
Nenagh Ormond 28 – Banbridge 22
Nenagh secured a winning bonus point on Saturday last in Lisatunny in a very keen contest between two well matched teams.

Nenagh got off to the brighter start and were in front with a David Delaney penalty. The visitors responded thereafter. Nenagh got their heads in front when a half break by Michael Fogarty offloaded to Keith Quigley and he crashed over. The conversion was missed but Nenagh looked to be the stronger. Banbridge refused to lie down and were gaining an edge on the set piece. Some slack Nenagh defence allowed a Banbridge maul headed towards the Nenagh line. From the resulting pressure, a cross field kick meant their winger went in at the corner. The resulting conversion was missed and it was 8 all.

This was a wake up call for Nenagh and they responded with some very good pressure and excellent movement along the backs left Ger Harmse with a bit of work to do. He did very well to score on the corner. Again, the conversion was missed. Nenagh were awarded with a further penalty and supporters would have been confident.

Shortly after half time, Banbridge had a man sin-binned and one felt you were going to wait for Nenagh to take over the game. Within four minutes, Nenagh had a man sin-binned and Banbridge had a penalty try. It was now 16-15 and Nenagh were playing against the breeze. Again, Nenagh stepped up a gear and from broken play, a strong burst off field, first by David Delaney. John Coffey was on his way and used his big frame to burly over the line. The conversion made it 23-15, again you expected Nenagh to push on. The reverse happened and Banbridge got another try and again there was a point in it. Nenagh put their heads down and responded again, this time with fabulously worked try where there was a three or four man overlap but Trevor Connolly was the name to pick up and dive over. This was to be the final score of the game leaving the score at 28-22.

Nenagh are now third in the table and there is no game for three weeks. The next game is against Middleton in Cork who are the league leaders and this will determine to a large extent what happens for the rest of the season. It is a great opportunity for the club and the team to push on to greater things. At times, Nenagh look very, very good and look like they are going to dominate games and win them well. Other times, you feel that things go lack and particularly on Saturday, we conceded scores too easily. The set piece got stronger as the game went on. Nenagh have a very good subs bench when changes are needed to be made. One feels that a small thing will lead to an exceptional performance and that some opposition team is going to suffer at some stage but we have yet to see that. Anyway, we are never totally happy are we? Well done lads.
M. Kennedy (Capt.), D. Horan, S. Brislane, M. Slattery, D. Walsh, S. O’Callaghan, K. Quigley, B. Williams, M. Fogarty, D. Delaney, J. Kingston, T. Connolly, G. Harmse, D. Corcoran, S. Carey
P. Breen, D. Dunne, J. Coffey, C. McMahon, D. Gallagher, E. Gardiner, J. Lillis

Underage Rugby


Nenagh Ormond 12 – 12 Roscrea

The U15’s started this seasons league campaign with an away match against Roscrea. It proved to be a tough game with both sides putting in some great performances. Nenagh got onto the score board first with a try as a result of good pressure form the forwards with Eathon Moloney getting the touch down. Killian Glesson added another 2 points with a conversion. As a result of a harsh decision Roscrea where awarded a penalty try which was also converted. In the second half a second try came again as a result of good pressure by the Nenagh pack with Denis Flannery getting the touch down. Roscrea responded with another try to leave the sides even. Nenagh had to defend for a long period after this try and they defend well with all players putting in a great effort. Philip Hickey had a great game on the wing.

Denis Flannery had to leave the field with a shoulder injury and it looks like he will be out of action for a number of weeks. Speedy recovery to Denis from all his team members and trainers.

Clonmel 5 – Nenagh Ormond 27
The u17 team went to Clonmel on Saterday evening to play in the East Munster League. Nenagh for the first time this year had a good squad and it showed in the performance. They started brightly but a dropped pass early in the game lead to a interception try for Clonmel. From this setback Nenagh started to dominate through C Comerford, E Obrien and C Lucey and after quickly moving the ball to the wing E Maher finished well in the corner. Nenagh came back again with C Gleeson and K Seymour providing the field positions for J Donovan and D Walsh to link up with D Cottom and J Nolan in turn to get further scores. This left the score 5 -15 at half time.
In the second half the pace dropped despite good work from A Commane , K Keogh, P Ryan and K O Flaherty and it took a good run from J Lee to get the team going again. After a lot of pressure G Mc Namera got a good score converted by D Walsh and with E Fogarty, J Larkin J O Flaherty, B O Connor J Hayes doing good work G McNamera finished the scoring with another fine break.
Training continues on Tuesday and Friday at 7.30pm. new and returning players always welcome.
Squad: C Comerford, K Seymour, E OBrien , J Hayes, P Ryan, E Fogarty, J Larkin, D Cottom, J O Flaherty, J Lee, E Maher, K Keogh, C Lucey K OFlaherty G McNamera J Donovan, A Commane, J Nolan, B OConnor C Gleeson.
East Munster League
U17 Fethard at home on Sunday at 11am

Nenagh U-19’s lose on the road to Clonmel.
Nenagh Ormond U-19’s slipped to their second defeat of the season when they lost away to Clonmel on Sunday. The team travelled in buoyant mood after a strong performance against Waterford City, and chose to play with the wind in the first half. The early exchanges were evenly contested, with Clonmel having the slight upper hand in the scrum, however after some early pressure from the Nenagh boys, David Cleary appeared in midfield after some strong back play from Cathal Carey and Willie O’Connor to get over in the corner after 15 minutes to leave the score at five points to nil. At this point, the backs were playing well, with the ball being moved at every opportunity, however under the tricky wet conditions, a number of try scoring opportunities went a begging. This was to prove costly for Nenagh, when some astute kicking from the Clonmel No. 10 gave them good field position deep within the Nenagh half, and they were able to cross for a converted try after a missed tackle in midfield following a quick lineout ball which was moved through their back line. Some further errors from the Nenagh boys allied with some questionable refereeing decisions at the breakdown, allowed the Clonmel outhalf to stretch the lead with a further two penalties before the break to leave the scores at 13 – 5.
Nenagh appeared in a determined mood for the second half, and reduced the scores when Cleary crossed again for his second of the match, and with the conversion narrowly missed, the scores stood at thirteen points to ten. Some good interplay between backs and forwards had the Nenagh lads camped on the Clonmel line for much of the second half, but try as they might, they couldn’t get the lead score, and after a relieving kick from the Clonmel backs, they were awarded with yet another penalty in front of the posts, which was duly converted to leave the scores at 16-10. Nanagh were denied a number of times in the closing minutes much to the teams frustration, and Clonmel wrapped up the win with another penalty from their No. 10 late in injury time.
The team on the day for Nenagh was as follows;
Forwards – Thomas McNamara, Paidi Curtin, Padraig Maxwell, Kevin O’Gorman, Cathal Donovan, David Cleary, Ronan Murray, Cronan Gleeson, Kevin Seymour, & Ryan Cooney
Backs – Fergal Hayes, Sean Fogarty, Conor Whelan, Cathal Carey, Eoin Chadwick, Kevin Walsh, Willie O’Connor, and Dean Wallace
The 19’s next League game is at home to Fethard on November 22nd, and another big performance is expected from the team if they are to progress to the playoff stages of the League Competition. Training continues on Friday night at 7pm.
U8s, 10s and 12s
Nenagh Ormond RFC Juvenile Section U8.U10.U12 were to travel away last Sunday morning 15th November 2009 to Fethard RFC to a Blitz but unfortunately, once again it was called off due to the heavy rain.
A Table Quiz will take place on this Friday night in the Club House, the Juvenile Committee are asking players and parents to please support, what will be a very important fund raising event. If anyone wishes to donate a spot prize – please contact Tony Wells 086 2267464 or Declan Kinsella 087 7930342 . Its €;20 for a table of four and yes, ladies we will have the fire lighting.

Kilfeacle Mini Rugby impress in Galbally on Sunday 15th Nov 2009

A wonderful day of rugby was held high in the Galtees last Sunday when
Kilfeacle Mini-rugby teams took the field against Galbally RFC and Clanwilliam RFC. Nearly 200 boys and girls lined out for their clubs. Galbally, as always, were excellent hosts, providing welcome soup and sandwiches after a superb day’s sport. Kilfeacle’s Mini-Blues fielded teams from U7 all the way up to u12 with boys as young as 5 taking part in the matches which were played in an excellent spirit.
The U7 matches between the three clubs were great fun to watch. The games were non-contact thereby allowing the boys and girls to develop their running and passing skills. Kilfeacle and Clanwilliam U8 B teams served up a classic with tries being run in by both teams in a fast paced encounter. The U8 A teams had a much harder game with Galbally coming out on top after some impressive mauling and driving. The U9, U10 and U11 games were tough encounters. The U10 games in particular were close with all three teams playing to a very high standard. The U12 game between Kilfeacle and Clanwilliam gave the boys and girls from both clubs who are on the verge of making the step up to the full game a chance to show how their skills have developed through the mini ranks. Some superb running rugby with close support was displayed.
All three clubs deserve praise for the manner in which the games were played. The future of rugby in Munster is bright indeed if the level of skills displayed by the children is maintained through continued coaching at each club.
Boys and girls from 5 years up are encouraged to come out to Kilfeacle on Friday nights and participate in a coaching environment that promotes the childs development in a safe end friendly manner with the emphasis on skills and teamwork.

It looks like the Bruff touring bandwagon has kept on its wheels in style. Another away win in Ulster on the road to add to the mesmerising collection of away results up north in Bruff’s short AIL history.
This time another established AIL team bent the knee to a great performance which was far more convincing on the pitch than the tight scoreline would lead you to believe.
Two minutes in some nerves and soft defending by the usually magnificent Bruff defence saw the Quins loose head Tim Morton go over for their one and only try of the game. Duly converted by Ulster playing Out half Niall O’ Connor, O’ Connor was one of the four Full Ulster Players playing for Quins on the day. The Bruff team gathered behind the posts for some strong words and then things took off.
The Bruff pack took things in hand and asserted their dominance in the set piece and in the loose. Just rewards on ten minutes with a penalty opportunity for captain Brian Cahill but it went to the side and wide. With the game by the scruff of the neck, Bruff launched attack after attack but handling errors and infringements at the ruck gave Quins relief time and time again from the onslaught. By half time, Bruff had spent thirty five of the forty minutes inside the Quins half but all they had to show for it was one converted penalty attempt after 7 minutes of injury time and another missed penalty on 25 mins, Quins also had to be happy with a pair of missed penalty attempts by O’ Connor on twenty and forty minutes. Half time score 7-3 to Quins.
The second half began as the first left off and the breeze stiffened a little to give Bruff whatever slight advantage it offered in the second half. Three minutes after the whistle Cahill slotted penalty number two to close the gap and three minutes later after sustained pressure, Cahill broke to go over for Bruff’s only try of the game, missing the conversion however kept the lead at four points. Following yellow cards (one for each side) in the aftermath of the try, play passed up and down between the Quins half way line and their twenty two, but on their only incursion into the Bruff half, Ten minutes later O’ Connor knocked over his second to close the gap again to a single point but Bruff maintained their momentum and had stretched the lead out to four points again three minutes later. The Bruff line attacked the Quins line the siege being lifted again by turnovers at the ruck. An interception by the Scrum half Paul Marshal saved a two on one overlap and very nearly turned it into a breakaway try when he chipped over the returning Bruff full back Sean Daly, Winger Andrew Cashman won the race to the ball and managed to keep Bruff in the game. A last burst for Quins brought nervous thoughts of last season’s last gasp winning try against the odds but the siege was finally lifted and Bruff held out to finish the game with a 14 point to 10 final score.
Bruff Scorers: Brian Cahill, 1T, 3 pens.
Quins Scorers: Tim Morton 1T, Niall O’ Connor 1C, 1 Pen.
Bruff lined out: 15. P. Thompson, 14. Nigel Riordan, 13. John Malone, 12. Garry Leonard, 11. Andrew Cashman, 10. Brian Cahill, 9. Tony Cahill, 1. Stephen Foster, 2. Cathal O’ Regan, 3. Keith Laffan, 4. Alan Bourke, 5. Maurice O’ Connell, 6. David Gardiner, 7. John S. Shine, 8. Mike Carroll. Subs: David Horan, Graham Bolger, Peter Malone, Sean Daly, John Carroll.
Ref: John Carville (IRFU), TJ’s: Christopher Wilson & David Fergie.
The thirds recorded their first league win of the year with a 42-12 victory over Clonmel in Bruff on Saturday afternoon. Bruff finished with a total 5 tries, 4 conversions, 2 penalties and a drop goal. The tries came from Tommy Leahy, Des Power, Dave Clarke, James McCarthy and Ronan Kirby. Ritchie McAuliffe added the place kicks, with the DG coming from the boot of Dave Clarke. Team: 1 K Carroll, 2 S Sheehan, 3 J O Gorman 4, D Power 5, T Leahy 6, T Clancy 7, M Hennessy 8, J McCarthy 9, T Carroll 10, D Clarke, 11 N McNamara, 12 R Kirby,13 R McAuliffe 14 J Hayes 15, J O Sullivan Subs From: T Casey, J Wallace, K O Sullivan, D Barnes.
Monday night saw the MSSL J1 squad do a reversal on Young Munster compared to their last meeting. A tight tough encounter, with some great play from both sides. Despite some great dominance on the ball from the Bruff team, Munster’s fought back from a 14 point to 6 deficit with a converted try in the closing minutes to make the final 14-13 scoreline and create serious tension in the closing three minutes.
U13 L, Shannon 23 Bruff 0
1st XV: No Game.
Sat 21st Nov.:
U21 AIL SWC : Bruff V Waterpark, 2:30pm (TBC)
GL: Thomond V Bruff J2, 2:30pm.
Sun 22nd Nov:
MSSL: UL Bohs V Bruff J1, 2:30pm.
U13 F Bruff V Kilfeacle, 11:30pm.
These are the only fixtures to hand at present, The usual caveat, please keep an eye on the website for any fixture updates and additions.
First team fitness trainer Brendan Bourke is still running his fitness classes on Wednesday evenings, ladies and gents both welcome to join in. Next committee meeting on Monday evening at 8:00pm.
Don’t forget that the first poker classic takes place on Friday 27th after a 1st XV friendly under lights, with a 7:30pm kickoff running into the poker classic this should make a great evening’s entertainment, with the added incentive of a €;1000 prize fund is not to be sniffed at.

Have Pride in YOUR club pay your Sub Now
Please Contact Mr. Tony Egar Mobile: 0868208272 Email: tonyegar@hotmail.com
Club News
New Sundays Well Lotto 1st Drawing
The new weekly member’s private lotto draw was held last Saturday. This lotto is running separately to the Euro Millions lotto that is already up and running. This Lotto will have a weekly drawing of numbers
This weeks winning numbers were: 06 07 23
The first draw had a guaranteed pot of €;250
The Jackpot was not won this week so the prize pot for the next draw will be €;350 at least and there was a draw for 3 prizes of €;25.
The winners of the draw were:
1) Mrs.B. Moynihan
2) Mr.M. Morarity
3) Mr.S Kilroy
To claim your prize and to support us please contact Mr. Paudie Horgan for a list of authorised club sellers. On his mobile 0857632990 or his email padraighorgan5@hotmail.com
There are a few Tickets available for the Ireland versus Fijian and South African games on Saturday and Saturday week. Please contact Sean Barry immediately on 087-2943257 or e-mail sean.barry@ucc.ie
Coaching Clinic Under 13s and 15s Teams
Mr. Keith Murphy Senior coach will hold a coaching clinic for our under 13 and 15 panels on Thursday evening (weather permitting) in the club.
Damian leaves us
It is with great regret we say good bye to Mr Damian Arrigan (mini rugby coordinator) and his family as they sets sail for sunny Australia to live and work there. Damian was with us for many years and did Trojan work in the minis and on the youth’s committee. He will be sadly missed BUT we now have somewhere for him to organise a tour to.
Terrace and stand tickets are still available for the forthcoming Heineken Cup pool games between Munster and Perpignan on December 11th and Munster versus Northampton on the weekend of January 15th/16th/17th. It is advisable to purchase tickets for both games to avoid disappointment. Please contact Michael Barry at 086-2503853 or e-mail mikebarry1@eircom.net
Have you got your Rubber Ducky yet?????????
The Sundays Well Youth section will be having its annual duck race on December 27th
Buy a Duck for €;5 and help our youth section.
Having a Party or Celebration
Well!!!!!!! Have it in your CLUB Please Contact Mr. Niall Murphy on 0878331156
Senior XVS Sundays Well 23 pts Suttonians 6 pts
Sunday’s Well earned their second win on the trot with a hard fought victory over Suttonians at Musgrave Park to move them further up the table. The pack was once again in great form. Chris Long and Darren Blower combined magnificently in line-out where the ‘Well were totally dominant while Michael Moynihan was getting through a strong workload around the field. Eamon Ronan enjoyed a great game with the boot, missing only one kick at goal while also helping to get the back-line going and putting in some big punts behind the Suttonians defence. The ‘Well defence stood firm throughout the game with plenty of big hits being thrown about and the side will be very happy that their line wasn’t breached at all during the eighty minutes. Tom Parker was the first to get on the score sheet as he showed a quick pair of heels to race through the Suttonians defence with a quick break off the base of a ruck. Another excellent line-out provided Parker with the opportunity and having spotted the gap from twenty metres out, he sped through and put the ball down without a finger being laid on him. The ‘Well continued to exert pressure with the pack winning the crucial forward battle. Shane Walsh and John Kidney were making good ground with the ball while Michael Moynihan and James Mulcahy were very quick to the breakdown. They helped earn the ‘Well a couple of penalties which Ronan slotted over
The second half was far from vintage with both sides being guilty of making some poor errors in attack. With a two score lead, the ‘Well were not as fussy as their opponents and rarely looked like being opened up. The defence just as crucially remained disciplined to deny Suttonians any kickable penalties and once again some excellent work at the breakdown relieved the pressure. The ‘Well did give the vocal home support something to cheer about right at the death. Ronan made a clever break and his grubber kick through was chased up Jason Martin-Sullivan who did superbly to retrieve the ball and he offloaded to Eamon Murphy who crashed over under the posts, with Ronan rounding off an excellent individual display by successfully converting the try.
Match Report “ A Well Man”
Junior 1s Sundays Well 24 pts Highfield 26 pts
In a very open, entertaining game at Musgrave Park, the Seconds were extremely unfortunate to come out second best with a last gasp drop-goal deep into injury time snatching away victory from them. After heavy rainfall during the week, the back pitch was in absolutely immaculate condition and great credit must go the grounds man ‘Eddie’ for this. With ideal conditions, both sides were fired up to play fast attacking rugby. The ‘Well pack were setting up a great platform and were dominating the lineout where Dave O’Connell and Eamon Murphy were key players. Moggsy and Ruadhri Martin were as ever like livewires around the pitch and hungry for work at ever possible opportunity. The ‘Well pack were continuously hounding their opposition at the breakdown and this work led directly to two of the four tries. Having conceded a penalty early on, it did not take long for the ‘Well to reply as a beautiful quick passing movement saw Jason Martin-Sullivan set up out-half Danny O’Shea for a try, with Ed Tubridy converting. In what was a topsy turvy game – Highfield did snatch the lead with their first try but it was the ‘Well who deservedly held the advantage at the break. Having forced play deep into ‘Field’s Twenty-Two, the forwards managed to steal a line-out and produced a ferocious driving maul which Highfield had no chance to defend against. Eamonn Murphy continued his fine scoring form to give the ‘Well a 12-8 lead at half-time.
Their was little change to the pattern of play in the second half with the lead once again changing hands, although the strong wind did mean that the Woodleigh Park club had a bit more of the territorial advantage Having fallen behind the ‘Well again pressurised Highfield and some great work at the tackle area saw them turn over possession close to the try-line and Martin-Sullivan was ever alert to burst his way through a gap for a try. Going into the final ten minutes, it was always going to be nervy and the Highfield pack started applying pressure with a succession of scrums close to the line – finally getting over to take a six point lead with time running out. Man of the Match, Danny O’Shea; after having a big game particularly with the boot, made a magnificent play to intercept a Highfield pass and showed great speed and stamina to race half the length of the pitch to touch down a few metres to the left of the posts. John Moynihan, who was probably recounting previous dramatic last minute winners stepped up to take the conversion that would give his side a one point lead. This time there was no need for the intervention of wind, post and crossbar as the ball slotted straight between the middle of the sticks. With several minutes of injury time played, the ‘Well were camped on their own line. Again Highfield had chances with several scrums but this time the ‘Well pact stood firm and the defence around the fringes was magnificent. Unfortunately, Highfield did get a chance to work the ball in-field and a successful drop-goal cruelly snatched victory away from a ‘Well side who had given a great account of themselves. Match Report “ A Well Man”
Junior 2s Old Christians 12p Sundays Well 10 pts No Match Report received
Under 21s No Game last week
Under 19s Game Cancelled
Under 17s Cork Con 14 Sundays Well 21pts This was a hard fought victory against a good Con side; Cork Con took the lead in the first half with a good try having put our side under pressure for most of the first 15 minutes, an excellent conversion followed. In great Well fashion we replied within 5 minutes of the restart with a well taken try by Cody and a superb conversion from the touch line by Alex, Con got another converted try just on half time leaving the score 14-7. The Well showed their class in the second half with Cody getting a second try, again converted by Alex from the touch line. After a great break through the middle of the pitch, Jullian raced in under the posts to get the winning try, again converted by Alex. A good performance overall by an under strength Well side captained by Otto Cronje, our focus now turns to next Saturday’s final group game away to Douglas, victory ensures us qualification to the knockout stages Match Report “ Mick O Brien”
Under 15s Sundays Well 14pts Midleton 5pts – No Match Report received
Under 13s Game Cancelled
Under 12s No Game last week.
Under 11s No Game last week.
Under 10s No Game last week.
Under 9s No Game last week.
Under 8s No Game last week.”
Under 7s No Game last week
21th /22nd Nov 09.
It is Important YOU support our teams Looking forward to seeing YOU soon. Come and meet old and new friends.
Senior XVS No Game this week.
Junior 1s No Game this week.
Junior 2s No Game this week.
Under 21s Lge v UL Bohemian, Kick Off 2.30, Saturday Musgrave Park.
Under 19s No Game this week.
Under 17s Friendly v C.B.C. Lansdowne, Kick Off 12.15 Saturday Lansdowne
Under15s Lge v Cork Con’, Kick Off 12 noon, Saturday Temple Hill
Under 13s Lge v Bandon RFC, Kick Off 11 am, Saturday Cois Lee
Under 12s Friendly v Charleville, Kick Off 11am Saturday Charleville RFC
Under 11s Friendly v Charleville, Kick Off 11am Saturday Charleville
Under 10s Friendly v Charleville, Kick Off 11am Saturday Charleville
Under 9s Friendly v Charleville, Kick Off 11am Saturday Charleville
Under 8s Friendly v Charleville, Kick Off 11am Saturday Charleville
Under 7s Friendly v Charleville, Kick Off 11am Saturday Charleville
Engage with O2 and help your Club prosper.
IRFU/O2 Engage offers your club members the chance to give 5% of their annual O2 bill directly to your rugby club
For example, if a club member spends €;50 each month on their line rental, calls and texts, O2 will take 5% of this and give your club a cheque for the overall amount at the end of the year, which is €;30.
If 100 members in your club sign up to O2 Engage, this would raise €;3,000 for your club.
With O2 Engage, you can give 5% of your O2 bill to an IRFU-affiliated rugby club.
And since O2 makes the contribution it will not cost you a cent.
It doesn’t matter if you’re a player or supporter. O2 Engage is open to everyone who wants to get behind Irish rugby.
Please have a look at this link and sign up if you can. http://www.irishrugby.ie/23_14995.php
“Away the Well”
Brendan Kenneally (0876139597) Ronnie O Reilly (0872500171)
To all coaches please feel free to send me any email address’s that you have from parents or coaches or players to be included and I can include them on this electronic Newsletter. I would also be happy to have any action photos or team photos you have and subject to them being ok to publish I will print them.
Please include names in photos.


DFP – Right Column – HalfPage


DFP – Right Column – MPU

Related News

Watch our first interview with new Attack Coach Mike Prendergast as he returned to the province this summer from Top 14 side Racing 92, where...