DFP Header Area

Share this MunsterRugby.ie page

Club News w/e 22.02.09

16th February 2009 By Munster Rugby

Club News w/e 22.02.09

Read the latest club news from around the province


New state-of-the-art gym for Ennis RFC
By Pat Flynn

Tuesday 17th February (2009) saw the club take another step in its development with the installation of a new state of the art gymnasium.

Primarily intended for the club’s playing members this facility goes a long way towards fulfilling the club’s ambition of providing first class facilities for its members and the community.

Describing the new gymnasium as an elite athlete gymnasium Club President Johnny King stressed the need for the club to maintain its development plan to achieve what he described as a centre of excellence. "I fully realise that the use of the term centre of excellence is one that must be earned," the president stated.

"Our players and members deserve the best possible facilities" he went on to say.

Stressing the needs of the modern game and the facilities required to provide for this, Johnny stressed the need to have players physically in peak condition.

"Whether it is to train to play or for injury rehabilitation this facility, will be the envy of every rugby club in Munster. The equipment is on a par with the elite performance gymnasium in the University of Limerick and better than some professional sides train with," he added.

Our under age section are not forgotten either in this development. "Young players need to learn proper techniques before undertaking weight training as their Muscular skeletal development is not complete until about seventeen years. We intend that our older age grade players will be able to benefit from this facility also. They may feel silly at first lifting broom sticks or 1 Kg. Weight but the technique is all important. We will be able to provide not just a rugby specific programme for each player but we will now be in a position to provide all our players with individual programmes designed to meet their own needs be that positional or otherwise," the club president stated.

As well as injury prevention we will now be in a position to have our player rehabilitated after injury and thus ensure they are back playing sooner.

At last years AGM, I sought and was granted the go ahead to call this development the Gerard J. Byrnes fitness and rehabilitation centre. Gerry was involved with this club for over twenty five years and his vision for the place going back over the years was unbelievable.

Since the turn of the century we have seen the development of new dressing rooms, treatment room, referees room, shower suite, all weather pitches, car park and now gymnasium. These facilities were and are needed to meet the growing demand on the club in terms of playing membership and community support.

We would like to acknowledge the support we have received from the Sports capital programme to complete the project along with those who have supported our members and friends draws over the last two years.

With the completion of the car park and now this gymnasium we hope our members and supporters can see a return for their hard earned cash.

Ennis 23 – Kinsale 3
Sunday’s clash between Ennis and Kinsale at the Showground was a cracking game between two well matched packs whose mean defences meant every ball was hotly contested.

Ennis won the toss and opted to defend the town end and play into the wind in the first half. From the kick off, the visitors attempted to set out their stall and physically attacked the Ennis line however, they were met with a strong hard tackling home side determined to gain supremacy in defence.

Three minutes in, Kinsale lost their full back to a crunching tackle with a dead leg. For the next fifteen minutes they attacked the Ennis twenty two time and time again only to be repelled to such an extent that they reverted to little chips over the defensive line in an attempt to turn the Ennis back line. But full back James O’Donnell wings James Littleton and Sean Flannigan were well supported by the covering loose forwards and dealt ably with any threats.

Fifteen minutes in and it was the home side’s turn to press the defence. After quiet some pressure from the Ennis pack, Kinsale were penalised for hands in the ruck about 35 meters from goal and straight in front of the posts. Bryan Murphy stepped up to land the first of his five kicks.

Ennis kept up the pressure from the drop off and three minutes later Murphy’s boot extended their lead after another infringement at the breakdown. Ennis were on top and continued to drive at the heart of the Kinsale defence with Gavin Murphy and Roy Duggan in the back row along with Liam Ryan, Michael McInerney and Damien Forde carrying ball repeatedly at the Cork men.

On the half hour Kinsale registered their first and only score attacking the Ennis line for five minutes but had a man sent to the bin for stamping on Ryan on twenty eight minutes. Unfortunately, Ryan lost his discipline and exerted his own retribution but the second row was also yellow carded. The resulting kick brought the score to 6-3 at the break.

Now playing with the aid of the wind and attacking the town end of the grounds the Ennis back line set to work in earnest. Bryan Murphy proved why he is probably the best out-half playing junior rugby in Munster at the present, his distribution, kicking from both hand and foot, decision making and coolness under pressure ensured the home pack were always on the forward foot. His back line got quality, quick ball and stretched the Kinsale line continuously.

As the Ennis pack drove at the heart of the Kinsale defence the Cork men were again penalised at the breakdown twenty metres out and straight in front of the post. Murphy again landed the points pushing the home side in to a 9-3 lead.

Almost from the restart Ennis attacked the Kinsale line and from turn over ball the back line finally struck in the corner. Quick hands from Jeff Ruttle, David Murphy and James Littleton finally found Bryan Murphy who touched down in the corner against a scrambling defence. Murphy’s kick from the touchline to convert was sublime. Fifty minutes gone and Ennis lead 16-3.

Five minutes later an incident at a scrum on the half way line effectively put the game out of reach for the visitors. The Kinsale second row, who had earlier been in the sin, received a red card.

Coach Richie Murphy immediately rang the changes in the pack making three changes. The injection of pace in the pack kept Kinsale struggling but to their credit they did not give up without taking the battle to the Ennis Men.

But a lack in numbers began to tell and after twenty five minutes, after a scrambled clearance, the Kinsale full back saw the ball fall to his opposite number James O’Donnell who immediately countered up the centre and after two missed tackles and a couple of side steps, he touched down between the sticks. Murphy duly added the points and the game was dead as a contest.

The Ennis defence were well on top by now with Kinsale’s only attacking option coming from the pack or chips over the back line. To be fair they missed three kickable penalties and while Ennis were clearly the better side had they been converted it would have perhaps reflected the game better.

While happy with the win the Ennis coaches and players will realise on a number of occasions dropped balls while on the attack could have gained them a bonus point on a day they would not have expected one.

With five teams Ballincollig, Kinsale, St. Senan’s, Ennis and Clanwilliam (Tipperary Town) competing for two places in the top flight Sunday’s game and next weeks encounters will go a long way to determine the two top positions. Clare sides St. Senan’s travel to Kinsale, while Clanwilliam host Ennis. Ballincollig have yet to face Kinsale and Clanwilliam so the division is wide open.

Ennis: J. O’Donnell, J. Littleton, N. Nevin, D. Murphy, B. Murphy, S.
Flannigan, J. Ruttle, G. Murphy, R. Duggan, S. Melbourne, J. Considine, D.
Forde. M. McInerney (Capt.) L. Ryan. B.Farrell.

Replacements: J Moloney for Ryan, E McInerney for Farrell and M Reid for Melbourne.

Frank Larkin PRO

Our First team scored one of their most satisfying wins of this season in comprehensively beating Bective Rangers RFC by 35 points 23, and collecting a four try bonus point in the process, in their refixed AIL Division Two match at Rosbrien last Saturday.

Bective Rangers started strongly with the breeze at their back and we had to absorb pressure in the early stages, but Crescent opened the scoring with a well taken try by No.4, Pierse Breen, which was converted by outhalf, Brian O’Shea. Bective came back with a converted penalty, and the score remained until near the end of the first half when the Bective No. 9 nipped in for an opportunist try which they converted. Bective converted another penalty in injury time at the end of the first half, to leave the visitors leading by 13 points to 7 at half time.

Old Crescent came out in the second half in determined mood, and immediately opened the scoring with fine try by our winger, Arron Carroll, which was converted by Brian O’Shea, to put us in front by 14 points to 13. Five minutes later, the lead changed and Bective went in front again with another converted penalty.

Old Crescent then went on a 21 point scoring spree in the middle of the second half, without a reply from Bective. First, Brian O’Shea converted three consecutive penalties. Billy Leahy then barged over for a try which was again converted by Brian O’Shea. We then had a contender for ‘try of the season’ when Eamon Broderick scored in the corner after a fantastic sustained handling movement, involving backs and forwards. The ball passed through 16 pairs of hands with Simon Malone involved in the movement twice.

One of the touch judges remarked afterwards that it was the best try he had seen all season while officiating at AIL matches. Brian O’Shea narrowly failed to convert from out wide. With the game over as a contest, Bective scored a consolation try and convert near the end, leaving the final score, Old Crescent 35 Bective Rangers 23. Old Crescent now moves to 5th place in the AIL Second Division table with a game in hand.

In other results last weekend, our Thirds played a friendly against Bohemians in Annacotty and lost by 19 points to 12. Our Under 18’s played Richmond at the Canal Bank and won by 23 points to 18.

Fixtures for next weekend:

Our First team travel to Greystones RFC to play our next AIL fixture at 2.30pm next Saturday. We appeal to all of our Dublin based supporters to come to Greystones and support our team who are now playing the best rugby of their season.

Our Thirds play Garryowen away in Dooradoyle at 2.30pm next Saturday, in play-off game in the Gleseson League, and our Under 20’s play Richmond at home in Rosbrien at 2.30pm next Saturday.

Finally, a reminder again of two important upcoming Club events. Old Crescent has put together an attractive package for members and supporters for the Ireland v England game in Croke Park, on 28th February, in partnership with Bective Rangers RFC, which includes stand ticket, match programme, pre-match lunch in Bective, and luxury bus transfer to & from Croke Park. Further details and bookings from Niall Sheehy 087 2495545 or Dale Harrow 086 3447197.

Last but by no means least, our Club Annual Dinner, our President’s Night, will be held on the evening of 7th March in the Limerick Strand Hotel – Price €65 per person. The Strand Hotel is also offering a special room rate of €80 including breakfast for anyone who wishes to stay over. Tickets are available from Anna Murray, 085 1440000, and Michael Cunningham, 087 2571454.

Aidan Clifford PRO

Killorglin Rugby Club’s Senior team hosted Castleisland in the Munster Junior League on Sunday last. They lost 22-6 with the home team’s points coming from the boot of Brian Gannon. The Senior team travel to Scariff, Co Clare this Sunday, February 22nd in a crucial bottom of the table encounter. Having beaten Scariff 26-0 at home earlier in the season, Killorglin will travel with some confidence but will need every point that comes their way as the league season draws to a close.
The under 14 team travelled to Abbeyfeale in the last league game of the season but unfortunately they lost 39-0. The scoreline flattered the hosts as Killorglin had a lot of possession but due to handling errors and bad luck were unable to get across the line
Senior Team Training continues every Tuesday & Friday at the Intermediate School at 7:00pm. New players are most welcome and our coaches are happy to introduce novice players to the game. Killorglin RFC Underage training continues. Under-age training continues every Saturday at the Intermediate School. It is not too late to join us as coaches will be happy to coach novices to the game. All are welcome. Under 10, 12, & 13 & 14 teams will train on the Dragon’s Den All weather pitch at the Intermediate School at 11am. The Under 16 & 18 teams will train at 1pm. For information on any age grade issues, contact Youth Officer John Costello on 0863558185 or P.R.O Aidan Clifford on 0879065927.
Membership for Killorglin Rugby Club is still open for the 2008-2009 season. Family membership costs €50, a single membership costs €30, while a juvenile membership costs €10. The above numbers can be contacted also for more information.

Maria O’Mahony PRO

Kinsale 2nd XV
Kinsale 2nd XV gave a powerful performance in Charleville on Sunday with a deserved 46 17 win over the home side. A total of 7 tries were scored by Kinsale, coming from Greville Walsh, Dan Buckley, Aidan Murphy, Pat Moriarity, Tim O’Leary, Cian O’Brien and Dan O’Brien. Dave O’Connell added 4 conversions & a penalty to bring up the score. Kinsale started well, scoring early. Charleville retaliated strongly up to half time with a 15 10 score at the break.

The second half saw Kinsale taking control and stamp their authority on the game as they upped the tempo. Good fitness levels showed through. Midway through second half some lovely running and passing led on to Kinsale scoring 3 or 4 tries from open play, notably a sizzler from Pat Moriarity who ran from about 40 yds out and beat several defenders, some twice around the block!

Man of the Match: Whole Team!! Ralf Crestwell and Billy Kiely were very dominant in the pack and Pat Moriarity and Dave O’Connell in the backs.

Well done to all

Due to UCC being unable to field a team, Kinsale were given a walkover.

1st XV
Kinsale 1st XV took the long road to Ennis on Sunday 15 February but were beaten 22 – 3

Denis Wade PRO

Kilfeacle and District R.F.C. draw at home with Newport.
Kilfeacle and District R.F.C. 21
Newport R.F.C. 21
Kilfeacle R.F.C.’s position in the league could be predicted from watching this performance on Sunday. Not threatened by relegation and not threatening the league lead means that end of season league games can slip into meaningless encounters that are sometimes seen as a burden. Performances can easily deteriorate into mediocrity, priorities change and enthusiasm wane. The previous week’s win in the Munster Junior Cup created a distraction and it seemed as if this team has given up the chase of elusive league glory. Throw in an early kick off because of Ireland’s Six Nations game against Italy, a number of key injuries and you had all the ingredients for an upset. For the majority of the first half Kilfeacle played as if they were sleep walking. Unaware of their bearings, unable to find their way or eachother and disappointingly at times they even looked lost. On the other hand Newport R.F.C.’s position in the league could be predicted from watching this performance on Sunday. They are threatened by relegation and needed not a performance but a result and found both. Just as hunger is a great sauce then threat of failure can be a great motivator. Newport started this game like their lives, their first division lives, depended on it. Within the first minute they were 5 points up and had declared their intent after they scored a well worked try. With a slight wind at their backs and a team who were looking more impressive than their league form would imply, they had the home side pinned back. At this stage of the game Kilfeacle looked shell-shocked and Newport looked menacing. Wave after wave of attack pummelled the home side’s defences and attempted relieving kicks were held up in the breeze. With eight minutes gone Kilfeacle found themselves with their first chance of scoring when Shane Looby saw his penalty attempt miss its mark. He made up for his miss after 12 minutes when he scored from a similar position and could have put Kilfeacle ahead with a long range attempt on the a 15 minute mark but this kick fell short. These penalty kicks were the majority of the half as far as Kilfeacle were concerned and after 21 minutes found themselves a further 5 points behind after some more good work by the Newport pack created the platform for the try. Kilfeacle were now losing by 10 points to 3 in a game where they would have been expected to be pushing for a bonus point if league tables were to be believed. They were still reeling from the try when 2 minutes later Newport scored another. Newport were now on top and deservedly so and it took some stout defending and luck for Kilfeacle to stop them from scoring again before halftime. The Boys in Blue managed this to have the halftime score reading 15 points to 3 for the visitors.
During the break the realisation that unless they raised their game that they could be on the wrong side of a bad, bad result finally sunk in and Kilfeacle began to perform better. Kilfeacle started the second half with the breeze at their backs and within 9 minutes had scored 8 points from a well worked try scored by Michael Collins and a penalty from close range scored by Shane Looby. Newport were now under severe pressure and defending well. With the territorial advantage having swung in Kilfeacle’s favour it looked as if it was Newport’s plan was not just to stop Kilfeacle from scoring more than 15 points and hold out for a win. When yet another of Kilfeacle’s attacks broke down and a scrum was awarded to Newport, five metres from their own line, after 17 minutes of the second half, no one expected Newport to run the ball. It was a brave decision and ultimately the right decision. They caught the opposition off guard and never allowed them time to reset their defence before winning and kicking a penalty from just outside their opponents 22. The score line now read 18 points to 11 to the visitors and they hadn’t finished yet from literally the same position Newport kicked another penalty after 22 minutes. This now brought the Newport lead to 10 points and what looked like a winning margin. However Kilfeacle and District have not amassed such a fine string of victories in the league and cup displaying such form. For the remainder of the game Kilfeacle threw everything including the kitchen sink at the opposition who answered by keeping them out by whatever means possible. When, in the 32nd minute, Kilfeacle were awarded a penalty from a long way out and the attempt missed it seemed that this was going to be Newport’s day. Resilience and heart are some attributes that a team needs, if it is going to leave its mark during a season, so when, after 37 minutes, Johan scored a try in the corner there was a flicker of hope. The flicker became a glimmer when Shane Looby converted from an obscene angle. Now had Kilfeacle the heart, had they the resilience but most importantly had they the time? Newport were now hanging on but hanging on admirably. It happened that after 4 minutes of injury time Kilfeacle were awarded a penalty inside the visitors half, their deliberations on what to do were cut short when they were informed that it would be the last kick of the day. A kick for goal was indicated. Newport gathered together under the posts and held their breaths and watched as Shane Looby held his nerve and drew the game.
If Kilfeacle had performed in the same manner in the first half of this game as they did in the second half, then it is quite possible the result would have been different. Upon reflection Newport deserved to win on their first half performance and Kilfeacle and District deserved to win on their second half performance, the draw was probably the fairest result. With the Munster Junior Cup Quarter Final on the horizon the team need to get back into the habit of winning, quickly, or their only chance of silverware might just pass them by. Kilfeacle and District would like to thank everyone from Newport RFC who travelled on the day and wish the club the best. The team as ever are proud and humbled by the amount of support they receive and hope that their supporters will continue to come along and support the "Boys in Blue". Our fist team is back in competitive action next week in the Munster Junior League at home to Skibbereen RFC with kick off at 2.30pm on Sunday the 22nd of February.

Seconds lose to Galbally.
Kilfeacle and District R.F.C. 10
Galbally R.F.C. 14
On Saturday 15th of February our seconds team played Galbally RFC in a friendly match in Morrissey Park. The squad was once again down to a skeleton crew for this game and the players that were present performed admirably against the odds. Pat Hueston said we had some absentees that we had been informed of in advance however we had some, which we weren’t informed about which was very disappointing. Second team’s coach Davy Donovan said, "That it took the team a large portion of the game to gel but when they did, they put together some excellent play against a very strong Galbally team, who I would like to thank for such a good and fair game and wish them all the best for the rest of the season. If we get a commitment from all the players, like we did from those who played today, and can keep this squad of players fit and injury free, we will prove to be strong opposition for any team." He welcomed back all the players from injuries and said they had equipped themselves well. "Since our fine performance against Cashel the lack of turnout from some people was a disappointment for the remainder of the squad."

Kilfeacle Under 14s lose to Thurles.
Kilfeacle and District R.F.C. 7
Thurles R.F.C. 15
Kilfeacle under 14’s hosted a large Thurles outfit at Morrissey Park on Saturday evening in the East Munster League. While confidence was high among the host team, determination was the determining factor with the visitors resulting in a 15 point to 7 defeat for the boys in blue. The first half was marred by some atrocious defending essentially gifting two tries to Thurles. Forwards and backs were culpable for the lack of commitment in the tackle and only found their resolve just before the break taking the game back to Thurles. The second half was an entirely different affair with Kilfeacle displaying their more usual grit leading to a try by replacement Oisin O’Meara. However, the damage had been done in the first half and far more work will have to be done in shoring up the defense in the coming weeks if there is to be any hope of salvaging some silverware this season. Poor discipline also towards the end of the game caused a complete break in concentration and this must be addressed.

Kilfeacle Under 12s perform well.
Kilfeacle U12A vs. Nenagh U12 3-2 (Kilfeacle won)
Kilfeacle U12B vs. Nenagh U12 3-3 (Drawn Game)
Sunday 16th of February saw the Kilfeacle U12s play Nenagh RFC in Morrissey Park, Kilfeacle. The under 12 squad are starting to find their rhythm because of their training and commitment and their results are improving as is their overall team play. A great and well-deserved win by the A-side plus a very exciting draw by the B-side just goes to illustrate the improvements in the squad. The teams played well as units and backs and forwards combined well. For the A-team Jamie Hueston, Stephen Moloney, Cian Ryan, Shane Ryan, Tom Quinn, Liam Heffernan, CathalO’Brien, Brian McLoughlin, Michael Winney, and Sean Cafferty all played well. While for the B-team Michael Power, Ronan Fogarty, Conor Dee, Craig Quinn, Cormac Flaherty, Michael Hayes, Michael Mahony, Declan, Christy and Robbie all impressed.

Kilfeacle Under 10s perform well.
Kilfeacle U10 Blue vs. Nenagh U10A 7 – 5 (Kilfeacle won)
Kilfeacle U10 Blue vs. Nenagh U10B 5 – 1 (Kilfeacle won)
Kilfeacle U10 Red vs. Nenagh U10A 5 – 4 (Kilfeacle won)
Kilfeacle U10 Red vs. Nenagh U10B 3 – 6 (Nenagh won)
Kilfeacle U10 Red vs. Clonmel U10A 5 – 1 (Kilfeacle won)
Kilfeacle U10 Yellow vs. Nenagh U10A 4 – 2 (Nenagh won)
Kilfeacle U10 Yellow vs. Nenagh U10B 3 – 6 (Nenagh won)
Kilfeacle U10 yellow vs. Clonmel U10A 1 – 5 (Clonmel won)
Sunday the 15th of February saw Nenagh bring 2 teams and Clonmel bring 1 team to the hill and Morrissey Park, to contest many games against 3 Kilfeacle U10 teams. Weather conditions were perfect and Kilfeacle had a panel of 30 players to select the three teams to face their respective Nenagh and Clonmel oppositions. On the day there were 30 players who all played and represented Kilfeacle well in the blue. All are deserving of credit and there were too many stars to single out any individual player.

Kilfeacle Under 8s, 7s and 6s.
Kilfeacle hosted an u8 mini-rugby blitz last Sunday in Morrissey Park. Bruff, Nenagh and Clonmel attended in glorious sunshine with matches being played at u6, u7 and u8 up on The Hill. Kilfeacle’s u8 A team had a successful day with victories against both Bruff and Nenagh in two hard fought encounters. Brian Barlow, Ben Quinn Kevin Hally and the Ryan twins, Brendan and Ciaran, were outstanding. Adam Ryan and Oisin Kelly did well on their first outing with the A team.
The u8 B team, many playing together for the first time, put in fantastic displays against Bruff, Nenagh and Clonmel. These boys showed courage against experienced opposition and Padraic Franklin, Alex Ryan, Aaron Ryan and Jack Redican from Solohead were to the fore.
The u7 team, also together as a unit for the first time, put in the best displays of the day. Allan Flannery, Robbie Byron and John O’Sullivan from Bansha lead the way in victories against Clonmel, Nenagh and Bruff. Ciaran Doody, Tomas Kelly and Cormac Ryan put in many tackles working hard in defence.
The u6 team played their first games of the season against Bruff and Clonmel.The boys put in a brave performance with Luke Houston and Eamonn Quirke playing well in their very first games. Christopher Kemp and Andrew Richardson also showed up well. Sean Dowdall defended stoutly in two free-flowing encounters.
Over forty boys togged out for Kilfeacle’s youngest age grade on Sunday showing that the level of interest has never been as high in the game. Training continues on Friday nights at 7.00pm and new children are welcome to come and enjoy themselves up on The Hill

Nenagh Ormond RFC Notes for Weekend 14th and 15th Feb 2009

Sundays Well 16 – Nenagh Ormond 17

A try at the last minutes of the game secured Nenagh with the valuable four points in the All Ireland League division 3 game in Musgrave Park. Unfortunately the game clashed directly with the Ireland Italian Game and so supporters were thin on the ground. The Nenagh performance was compounded by errors directly from the kick off, a ball wasn’t cleared adequately and Nenagh conceded a penalty. They were 3/0 down starting out and this seemed to set the tone for the rest of the game. Nenagh got into the game more in the next fifteen or twenty minutes was dominated by them. Two penalties was their reward for this persistent pressure and were value for their being 6/3 ahead mid way through the first half. A dangerous situation arose when a break down in the Nenagh play meant that a hack down field was knocked on over the line by the Sundays well winger just as he was about to score. However, the Sundays well team seemed to be spurred on by this. After a five yard scrum near the line and strong pressure Sunday swell were rewarded by a try from their prop which was duly converted. This left a score of 10/6 at half time.

In the second half Nenagh errors resulted in another penalty from Sundays well. Both teams attempted to step up in their own performances but errors seemed to frustrate both sides. They traded penalties on two occasions and this left the score at 16/12 heading into the final ten minutes of the game. Sundays well pressed on to bring their advantage home but conceded penalties while trying to press home their advantage. The pressure on Nenagh defence was relieved and it seemed that a bonus point was there for the taking. Nenagh received a penalty around the half way line which was kicked to the corner and from the resulting line out Nenagh got in for a try and was scored by Moses Volavola. The resulting conversion was missed. The game went on for a couple of more minutes but Nenagh held on. It was an unlikely victory given the nature of the game. However, there were gains earlier in the year which we should have done better but didn’t get the rewards, so you take the good days when they come as there tend to be plenty of bad ones. Nenagh are now in mid division and have to play some of the leaders in the league starting with Old Wesley next Saturday at 2.30. This will be gauged as to where you really stand in relation to the division. All thoughts of relegation are now firmly put to the back of minds and it should allow for a more free flowing game. Conditions will hopefully be better and a good crowd is expected.


M. Kennedy (Captain), C. Whelan, F. Brislane, R. Powell, K Quigley, B. Williams, C. McMahon, M Volavola, B Gardiner, J. Lillis, G. Hermse, J. Kingston, D. Delaney, V. Tuidracki, R. O’Brien, D. Corcoran.

SUBS: J. Kingston, C. Griffin, M. Fogarty.


Nenagh 0 – UL Bohs 39

Nenagh faced top division one side UL Bohs in the All-Ireland Cup last Sunday in Lisatunny. The visitors were missing 7 of their players who were on international duty on Saturday against Italy in the 6 nations. However, they still managed to field a team with several well known names from the current Ireland and Munster squads.
The Nenagh girls knew that this would be their toughest challenge so far this season and credit must go to them for a huge team effort for the full 80 minutes. Nenagh started well but struggled for field position playing against the breeze. Bohs were very well organised and sucked in the defence for two or three phases before spreading the ball wide. With bags of pace out wide and Nenagh’s covering defence struggling to make the first up tackles, Bohs scored two early tries.
Nenagh reshuffled their team a bit and had a purple patch for about 20 minutes up to half time. The home side scrum was solid as was their line-out and Nenagh put some good phases of play together. They pressured Bohs close to the try line but the experienced side didn’t panic and kicked their way out of trouble. Bohs scored another try against the run of play to leave the score 0-15 at half time.
Nenagh began the second half well and although they conceded an early try, which in fairness was an excellent display of offloading skill and support running by Bohs, they continued to be competitive in set pieces and at the break down. Nenagh were dealt a huge blow when their captain Louise Roberts had to go off due to injury. Out-half Genevieve Rowland kicked well to keep some pressure on Bohs but with the Nenagh team visibly tiring, gaps appeared in the defence. Bohs were quick to exploit this and tallied up a few more tries to easily close out the game.
Nenagh can put this game down to a learning experience and take several positives from it. Captain Louise Roberts lead from the front as she has all season. Props Sarah Brennan and Bob Ryan really fronted up at set-pieces and around the pitch. Flanker Eithne Darcy and scrum-half Jennifer Carter kept Nenagh in the game for a long time with some excellent covering defence.
Team: Laura Nugent, Niamh Hogan, Kyla Maxwell, Sarah Walsh, Denise Williams, Genevieve Rowland, Jennifer Carter, Sarah Brennan, Louise Roberts (captain), Bob Ryan, Orlagh Shanahan, Lisa Cleary, June Whelan, Eithne Darcy and Maeve Darcy, Aisling O’Neill and Elaine Healy.
Nenagh have a break next weekend but return to cup action the following week against division one side Ballincollig in the All-Ireland Bowl. Training continues Wednesdays and Fridays at 7:30. New players always welcome, contact Louise on 087-2201596.


U20’s Impressive Display

Nenagh 41 Clonmel 6
Nenagh continued their unbeaten league run scoring seven tries at Lisatunny on Saturday last. With their strongest squad of the season available Nenagh started with real purpose and with a steady supply of quick ruck ball the Nenagh backs posed a constant threat. The pressure told after fifteen minutes when Jamie Quigley scored from a set move with Dan Fogarty converting. Soon after Rory Whelan made ground inside the Clonmel twenty two supported by the pack and from the ensuing ruck near the line Leslie Hayes touched down with the conversion being missed. Nenagh played with fourteen men for the next twenty minutes with two players sent to the bin and Clonmel converted two penalties during this period to leave six points between the sides at the break. Nenagh picked up the tempo in the second period and the pressure was unrelenting and eventually the Clonmel resistance was broken with tries from Gavin Mc Avinchey, David Cleary, Steven Harvey and two from Josh Fletcher with Dan Fogarty adding two more conversions. Nenagh will now focus on their next game away to Cashel on Saturday at 2pm and will be determined to come away with a win to keep pace with them as they are also unbeaten in the competition.
Panel: Keith Purcell, Damien Cahalan, Kieran Mc Cann, Adrian Lewis, John Coffey, Paudie Maxwell, Josh Fletcher, David Cleary, Andrew Kelly, Jamie Quigley, Michael Lynch, Michael Harding, Rory Whelan,Sean Hayes, Jeff Mc Donald (Capt), Daniel Fogarty, Leslie Hayes, Darren Ahern,Justin Conroy, Gavin Mc Avinchey, Steven Harvey, Shane Quinlan, Robert Duff, Sean Fogarty, Fergal Hayes.


UNDER 18’s: Clanwilliam – 10 Nenagh Ormond – 14

The holders Nenagh, kicked off their U-18 East Munster Cup campaign with an away trip to Clanwilliam on Sunday morning, coming away with a hard fought victory on a scoreline or 14 points to 10.

In conditions perfect for good rugby, Nenagh started well, with the pack exerting early pressure at ruck and lineout, and the backs linking well to provide attack after attack. However, many of their attacks broke down at the vital moment, when the ball was spilled or support was too late in arriving, which meant that some good try scoring opportunities went a begging. Against the run of play, Clan were the first to score when their winger got in out wide for a converted try in the 15th minute. Clan stretched their lead further within five minutes when their outhalf slotted over from a penalty awarded after some Nenagh hands in the ruck.

It was only at ten nil down that Nenagh lifted their effort, and after some strong pressure on Clan in their own 22, Paudie Maxwell made a great blockdown on an attempted clearance, and the impressive Eddie Gleeson was quickest to react to get the touchdown. The conversion was easily dispatched by outhalf Dean Wallance, and within minutes, Nenagh had taken the lead when scrum half Fergal Hayes broke through the Clan cover after some good handling by the backs to score under the posts. Wallace again converted to leave the scores at 14 – 10 at the break.

The second half continued in much the same vein, with Nenagh exerting tremendous pressure on the Clan line, and although they crossed the whitewash on three separate occasions, they were unable to add to their tally. There were to be no more scores from either team, as a thoroughly enjoyable game of rugby reached its natural conclusion, and Nenagh now March on to the next round of the cup where they will face Waterford City . Impressing on the day for Nenagh were Captain Damien Cahalan, Paudie Maxwell, Cathal Donovan, Eddie Gleeson and Andrew Kelly in the pack, while in the backs Fergal Hayes, Kevin Walsh, John O’Dowd and James Holland continue to impress.

The team at home to Waterford City RFC in the next round of the cup on Sunday 22nd of February at midday, and are slowly building towards their League Final meeting with Kilfeacle which is scheduled for Sunday March 1st. Training continues as normal in Tyone each Friday night at 7.30., and the management would ask for a full turnout as the League and Cup campaigns reach their final stages.

UNDER 16’s: Nenagh Ormond 43 Bohs 0
Nenagh produced a clinical performance to dispose of rivals, Thurles in the first round of the Under 16 Cup in Lisatunny on Sunday last.
Nenagh benefited from a dry day and a wide pitch, which allowed us to put width on the ball at every opportunity. Thurles had proven to be tough opponents in previous games when the ground was heavy, but had no answer to the Nenagh tactics on the day.
This was a very good performance by all of the home side. While slow to pick out any individuals, it is only fair to mention Darragh Quinn, who was successful with 5/7 kicks at goal on the day.

UNDER 14’s: Nenagh Ormond 5 Bohs 29

On Sunday, Bohemians brought a very strong under 14 side to Nenagh for a friendly. Nenagh were missing a number of players, and the visitors ran out comfortable winners in the end.
We play Roscrea away on Wednesday in the third round of the Cup (k.o. – 4pm.)
UNDER 13’s: Nenagh Ormond 19 Bohs 5
Bohemians were also the visitors on Friday night for a friendly which was played under lights. All the players enjoyed the experience, with the home side coming out on top in the end of a closely contested game.
We are still awaiting confirmation on the date for the Cup semi-final and expect word this week

UL Bohemian RFC Rugby Notes
The 1st XV travelled to Coonagh for the now regular training fixture against Shannon. With the sides due to meet in the later stages of the league neither wished to reveal too much, but this was still a very good training run against top class opposition, and one that will help the squad in the immediate future. The AIL resumes this weekend with Dublin visitors Old Belvedere travelling to Annacotty. Four of our remaining five fixtures involve opponents from the capital, and we hope to keep up the good record Munster clubs have against these sides. Each game is now critical if we have ambitions to make it to the play off stages.
The U-20s kept their own ambitions alive with a good 26-10 victory over Shannon in a game which fell foul of the weather some weeks ago. On Saturday they travel to Young Munster in another refixed match, and the following week finish their programme with a home game against Buccaneers, each one vital in the context of league position.
The club had representatives on many Ireland sides at the weekend, and it was very satisfactory all round, with the women continuing their winning ways, captained by Joy Neville of UL Bohs, and containing another seven from the club. Fiona Coghlan contributed her usual try. Barry Murphy renewed his long time centre partnership with Keith Matthews in the ‘A’ international, when Ireland had a resounding victory over Scotland, while Mark Doyle featured on the U-20s side which beat Italy. Well done to all, and we hope the season continues to be successful.

Majella Ryan PRO

Clonmel V Thurles – Munster Junior League

It was a day when Clonmel needed to use their "get out of jail free" card. With only twenty minutes of the game remaining Clonmel were losing 17 points to 8 and did not look like they had any chance of winning. In fact the gloom in the crowd suggested that Clonmel were staring at the entrance gate to the 2nd Division next season.

The game started at 12.30pm, but for the first thirty minutes it looked like there was only one team on the field – Thurles. At this point Thurles were leading 9 points to nil. All penalty kicks from the sure boot of Andrew Dwyer. For the remainder of the first half Thurles kept piling on the pressure. Clonmel looked tired and lethargic, maybe they were still exhausted from their excellent performance against Garryowen the previous week, whatever it was they were absent in the first half.

Clonmel started off the second half with some conviction and their immediate pressure led to a successful penalty kick by Morgan Lyons. However, within two minutes Thurles responded in style. From the kick-off they gathered the ball. A number of rucks and recycles set the Thurles backs free and Conor Burke glided over the try line to bring the score to Thurles 14, Clonmel 3.

It did not take Clonmel long to get back up field to the half-way. An error by Thurles gave Conor Cooney on the wing a chance to gather the ball. Conor showed his style and pace by running from the half-way to score in the corner. After the drop off Thurles were back into the Clonmel 22 and the pressure led to another successful kick at goal by Andrew Dwyer. Cooney of Clonmel responded with a penalty kick to bring the gap back to six points – Thurles 17, Clonmel 11.

Even with only a six point margin and twenty minutes left in the game, Thurles looked composed and in command, but it was Clonmel that decided to up the ante, and after six phases of play John Stokes careered over the try line with half the Clonmel and Thurles packs on his back. Cooney converted putting Clonmel one point in the lead. 18 minutes remaining, could Clonmel hold out for that long?? Not alone could Clonmel hold out but on the 67th minute, Cooney was set free again to score, almost under the post, and converted his own try.

Things were looking good now for Clonmel leading 25 points to 17 and less than ten minutes left in the game. But Thurles were determined to win. They had played so well for almost 70 minutes of the game they did not see why they should be beaten. Sure enough their self-belief and conviction brought one of their sturdy forwards over the line with less than two minutes left in the game. However, the conversion was missed, and Clonmel held out an onslaught that included an additional two minutes of injury time.

Final score Clonmel 25 Thurles 22.

Next game is on Sunday 22nd at home to Newport in the Munster Junior League. KO 2.30 pm.

Clonmel Women’s XV vs. Waterpark Women’s XV
Clonmel ladies travelled to Waterford on Sunday also in the second round of the All Ireland Cup. Tries from Claire Walsh and Bronagh O’Donovan ensured Clonmel were eventual 10 – 7 winners after a tough game for both sides.

Congratulations also to Niamh Briggs and Kate O’Loughlin who played an important part in Ireland’s win over Italy in the 6 Nations on Saturday. Ireland beat Italy 40 – 17, with Niamh scoring 15 of the points herself with a try, two conversions and two penalties.

The next fixture is Cooke away in the All Ireland League Division 1 next Sunday.

Clonmel 2nd XV vs. Thurles 2nd XV
Clonmel 2nd XV also entertained Thurles at home on Sunday in the semi-final of the Evans League. Despite not having had a game in 5 weeks, the Clonmel lads came away 39 – 25 victors. James Williams, Aaron Curran, David Harney and Paddy Long were amongst the try scorers for Clonmel. James Williams converted 3 of the tries, and there was a penalty and conversion taken by Paddy Long.

Fixtures were not available going to print. Please check out http://www.clonmelrfc.com/ for further details.

Clonmel U14s
Clonmel 5 Cashel 17
Clonmel played host to Cashel on Sunday morning in perfect conditions for rugby. Both Cashel and Clonmel had the early exchanges in what was a bruising encounter. Clonmel defended well against a larger pack from Cashel but when Cashel went through the phases Clonmel just lacked the extra weight in the packs. This allowed Cashel in for the first try of the half. The conversion was missed. Clonmel kicked off and attacked the Cashel side. Silly penalties allowed Cashel to gain possession and attack again. Clonmel were caught sleeping and Cashel got in for another try just before the halftime whistle. A great kick from distance saw the conversion hit the post and crossbar and just go over leaving the half time score of Clonmel 0 Cashel 12.

Clonmel sprung to life in the second half and began to dominate the match. Big hits were flying in from Stephen Dooley and Darren Cass. Conal Guilfoyle was controlling the play and attacking at every opportunity. Clonmel were camped in the Cashel half for most of the half but poor handling led to a turnover and Cashel went through the phases using their number 8 as a battering ram. The Cashel scrumhalf broke through to extend the Cashel lead to 17 points. At this stage in the match Clonmel dug deep and their hard work was rewarded just before fulltime when Guilfoyle was fed the ball and broke through the tackles to touchdown. With the last kick of the game Cass just sent it to the left of the post. The full time score was Clonmel 5 Cashel 17.

There were good performances came from Andrew Prout, Alex Sheehan, David Smyth, Dylan Cadogen and Aidan Rae and overall it was a well contested match. The Clonmel lads played the second half with real passion for the Clonmel shirt. It’s that sort of dedication that will be needed in the next few weeks if we are to get anything from this league. Training as usual on Saturday at 10.30 am.

Clonmel Underage fixtures
Under 16s are at home to Kilfeacle on Wednesday 18th. Kick off at 7 pm.
Under 14s are away to Dungarvan on Sunday 22nd. The bus will leave the club at 09.30 am.
Under 18s are away to Cashel on Sunday 22nd in the quarter final of the Cup. The bus will leave the club at 09.30 am.

Richard Leonard PRO

Last weekend was a good one as regards rugby for the club at all levels. Saturday saw our most senior referee taking charge of a 6 nations game for the first time ever when George Clancy ended up in the middle on Saturday between France and Scotland. Congratulations and well done George and hopefully it’s just the first of many appearances for this club member who puts a massive amount of work and commitment into his game every week.
Secondly, our most senior Rugby player matched the all time record of 6 nation appearances for all of 76 minutes until Malcolm O’Kelly made his entrance with under four minutes on the clock. Again another big Congrats to John and hopefully the record and maybe a man of the match award will go to him before the season is over. What can you say about John Hayes that hasn’t already been said a hundred times over in the last week. If there is one man that you can honestly say that Ireland and Munster could not have done without or had no replacement for over the last 9-10 years it is the rock solid John Hayes. Ever since I used to meet him on the training pitch in Kilballyowen twice a week when he started all of those years ago (I’m guessing about 4 or 5 stone lighter), a fit, thin whippet that we stuck out on the edge of the scrum for his first game, that I was able to lift in the lineout back then (when it was illegal to do so, but only if you got caught), we here at Bruff have watched his career grow from strength to strength. From the move into second row, joining Shannon U20 as we had no U20 team that year, the move about as far south that you can go on this planet thanks to Kynan McGregor and the return as a Prop from Invercargill. All of a sudden he shot into the limelight with that famous start against Scotland almost 9 years ago to the day and everyone in the country finally saw what we had known all along.
There were a few surreptitiously wiped eyes around the clubhouse that famous February day and the crowning moment for many was the sight of a Bruff flag and banner flashed up on the big screen in Clarkes. John had made the big time and Bruff RFC was being carried along with him. While we had had a few younger players on international schools teams, Under 18 and Under 20 squads, this was our very first Senior International player and by heck were we proud of it. Even though at this stage he was playing full time with Shannon and Munster, he never forgot where he came from or where he started and in the few scarce interviews that he has done over the years, he has never failed to let everyone know just how and where it all began.
John’s career blossomed, Munster Heineken Cup glory, Irish Triple crown glory and a Lions jersey followed. He’s just about to match the all time record for Irish caps, and going well will break the record for the greatest number of 6 Nations starts of any country before the end of this campaign.
We, as you probably know, have had our own successes, Under 20 All Ireland league winners and losing finalists in the space of twelve months, quickly followed by three Munster Junior league wins out of four. The tense final moments on the phone in Garryowen Green, praying and willing for the game between Clanwilliam and Nenagh to finish. That fateful jump to Senior on the third attempt on that fateful day in Coleraine, Where we cried, we couldn’t watch, the Northern lads put on a great atmosphere but we were too tense to enjoy it. This was followed by surviving the famous first year in senior rugby. John came back to his roots, to the place where it all began. This was quickly followed by being crowned champions without being promoted, followed again by last year’s absolutely fabulous season, which now sees us in Division 2. We wanted survival this season. We’ve accomplished that already and God knows how it will finish up this year. Folks, while it’s been one hell of a ride for us, we can be extremely proud of the man they call "THE BULL". The Cornerstone of Munster and Ireland, hopefully they will finally give him that elusive "Man of the match award", although it’s highly likely that he wouldn’t do the interview, that’s just the type of man he is. While I’ll never forget the row in Keating’s into the wee hours with Chick, Scoby, Dunnser and Ger Whelan over whether we would be better off in Munster Junior 3 for a season to regroup, little did I know back then what direction the future would take us.
Thank you John for many, many happy moments, and we know there’s more to come. Keep carrying that pack as long as they need you.

AIL 1st XV: On the Domestic front, the First fifteen finally played the re-fixed AIL game against Wanderers in Merrion Rd. On a dry calm day, the weather was ideal for rugby and the Bruff pack made the very most of it. They camped for over 90% of the first half within the Wanderers 22, absolutely dominant in the scrum but the lineout letting them down on occasion. Facing up to some big name players like Junior Charlie in the centres, (Brian Cantrell made an appearance, Eoin Nihill was part of the back row for the opposition) they really squared up to their opposition in the tight but failed again to convert dominance into scores. The only time that Wanderers entered the Bruff half of the pitch was a breakout following a kick and chase from Full back Paul O’ Brien when winger Culhane returned the kick to the try-line from between their 22 and the ten meter line to give them their only score of the game. Two Brian Cahill penalties were all that Bruff had to show for all of their efforts in the first half, score at the break 6 – 5 to Bruff. At the start of the second half Bruff again dominated proceedings in the pack but Wanderers came right back into the game and their lineout really came to the fore. While Paul O’ Brien kicked over two more penalties and the pack seemed to be able to do what they liked with the Wanderers scrum, the last ten minutes became a very tense affair with the massively impressive Bruff defence holding out to give them the four vital league points with a final score of 12 to 5. Wanderers should be happy with their losing bonus despite their valiant efforts over the final ten minutes.
Bruff: Scores: B. Cahill 2 pens. Paul O’ Brien 2 Pens.
D. Horan, C. O’ Regan, S. Foster, A.Laffan, D. Murnane, J. Shine, M.Carroll, P.Malone, E.Maher, B.Cahill, G.Leonard, J.Carroll, J. Malone, A.Cashman, P.O’ Brien. Subs: M. O’ Donnell, G. Ryan, J. Luby, M. O’ Connell, D.Maw.

J2 McInerney Cup: 10 points from the boot for Ritchie McAuliffe plus 2 tries from the Power brothers Joe & Des were enough to see off the Challenge of a well supported St. Senans side in Shannon on Saturday afternoon. The opening score came early in the first half through the pack. A series of pick and drives was finished off with Des Power crashing over the line. The place kick was converted by McAulliffe who added a penalty to the score line before half time. Bruff went in 10-3 to the good at the break. Forward dominance again paid off early in the second half. Bruff were awarded a 5 yard scrum after Niall mc and Martin Hennessy got a block on an attempted clearance from the St. Senans number 10. The front row got a good nudge allowing number 8 Joe Power to break from the back and drive over for the try. McAuliffe again stepped up to add the extras. St Senans added 3 more penalties after this before the game was sealed with another 3 pointer for Bruff.
Bruff: 1 S Sheahan(c)2 T Quirke3S O Shea4S Danagher5J Dunworth6D Power7M Hannessy8J Power9N McCarthy10D Clarke11M Fitzgerald12P Cleary13P Twoomey14J Guiney15R McAulliffe16J McCarthy17N Mcnamara18A Godfrey19P O Shea20R Lynch21E O Shea
MSSL J1: Bruff Travelled into Limerick to face Young Munster eventually in the seconds league re-fixture but went down in the finish by 33 points to Bruff’s 24.

U18 Friendly: Garryowen 7 Bruff 12
U16 NML: Young Munster 10 Bruff 7
U14 NML: Bruff 14 Ennis 0
Fixtures this coming week:
Sat 21st:
AIL Div. 2: Bruff V UCC, 2:30 pm
AIL U20: Bruff V Highfield, 1:30pm (TBC, check website)
Sun 22nd :
MSSL: Shannon V Bruff J1, 2:30 pm, Coonagh,
U13: Richmond V Bruff, 11:00am
U14: Bruff V Shannon, 11:00 am
U18: Ennis V Bruff, 12:30 pm Lee’s Rd.

The draw for the Injured players fund takes place after the game on Saturday in the clubhouse so please ensure that all ticket stubs are returned to the committee this before the game takes place.
Team entry Numbers for the Annual Tag Twilight League are coming in quickly so if you wish to enter get your team name in quickly.
Next Committee meeting takes place Monday night at 8:00 pm.


DFP – Right Column – HalfPage


DFP – Right Column – MPU

Related News

Watch our first interview with new Attack Coach Mike Prendergast as he returned to the province this summer from Top 14 side Racing 92, where...