DFP Header Area

Share this MunsterRugby.ie page

Club News w/e 11/01/09

6th January 2009 By Munster Rugby

Club News w/e 11/01/09

Read the latest news, reviews and previews.

Richard Leonard PRO

Quiet enough last week at home on the rugby front.
First XV: On Friday night last The first XV took a trip up to Nenagh to play a friendly under lights up there. Nenagh ran out eventual winners by 12 points to 7.
On Saturday the U20’s chalked up another win in a friendly against Dolphin, finishing on a 41 point to 19 win.
The J1 game against Shannon didn’t take place.
The Under 18’s friendly between Bruff and Abbeyfeale on Saturday saw the Lads from the west coming away with a 20 point to 12 win.
NML U13: In the North Munster League the Under 13’s beat Shannon by the slimmest of score-lines, Young O’ Dwyer kicking his way into the history books (I Know, I Know….) with a penalty to give Bruff a 3 points to nothing lead with about ten minutes left on the clock. Bruff held on to win.
NML U14: Bruff 14 Garryowen 26
NML U16: Bruff 8 Newcastle West 41
J2 Bruff 17 Thurles 37.

This coming weekend sees a full house in Kilballyowen from a rugby point of view with all adult teams at home. Saturday is an absolute beauty of a day in the club, with the weather due to remain dry we’re in for a feast of rugby on the day. Fixtures are as follows:
Sat 10th Jan.
First XV, AIB Cup: Saturday sees the first ever visit of Cork Constitution to Bruff, coming up for the round 3 AIB Cup With a 2:00 kick off (ET if necessary).
J2: McI Cup: McInerny Cup time again, this time we see Old Crescent making the trip out to Bruff for a 2:00 kick-off on the front pitch.
U20: AIL SWC: Bruff U20 V Garryowen, under lights kicking off at 4:30 pm.

Sun 11th Jan:
J1: Munster Junior Cup:
This year sees a visit from Cobh Pirates to Bruff to play in round three of the MJC. This is Bruff’s first game in the competition.
Keep an eye on the website for fixtures for the underage teams.
Why not make it a day out to remember either on Saturday or Sunday and come out to support one of the teams at home this weekend? With all adult teams at home this coming weekend the rugby on offer will be excellent as well as the atmosphere and welcome that you will receive in the pavilion.
Tickets for the Munster V Sale game will be available for collection next Monday and Tuesday nights at the rugby club pavilion between 7:30 pm and 8:30 pm.
Next committee meeting will take place in the pavilion on Monday 12th at 8:00 pm.

Carrick-on-Suir RFC News
Dermot Keyes PRO

Carrick come undone in Munster Challenge Shield

St. Mary’s (Limerick) 16 Carrick-on-Suir 8
Carrick-on-Suir’s First XV had a disappointing eight point defeat away to Saint Mary’s of Limerick in the semi-final of the Munster Junior Challenge Shield last Sunday.
The visitors struck first when prop forward John Phelan went over for a try in the corner after good attacking work from Carrick. Michael Cronin successfully kicked a penalty later in the half but Mary’s converted two kicks of their own to trail by just two points at the break. Alas, Carrick were not to score again and the home side took the lead for the first time in the 64th minute, and increased their advantage in the 77th minute thanks to a converted try. A couple of injures didn’t help Carrick’s cause, and good wishes on speedy recoveries have been dispatched to Michael Cronin and Evan Stanley, the latter requiring a visit to hospital.

Division Three action resumes for Carrick when they travel to Kilbarry for a meeting with Waterford City on January 25th where another win would keep the Tybroughney boys firmly in the hunt for promotion. But, as is traditionally the case when facing City, a bruising 80 minutes is guaranteed.
Meanwhile, in juvenile rugby news from Carrick, the Under 13 team proved no match away to Cashel in their cup semi final, Scott Bennett and Wayne McGrath proving best for the visiting side. Training for Under 14s and 16s continues on Wednesday nights.

The 16’s will play this weekend while the 14s will host Clanwilliam on home sod on January 18th. Both the Under 8s and 12s will also be training next Sunday morning, commencing at 10.30am.

More Tag Rugby frolics at Tybroughney!
Casting the mind’s eye back to Saint Stephen’s Day, Carrick-on-Suir RFC hosted another successful Tag Rugby tournament, with €1800 raised for the club’s youth rugby development programme. A team largely sourced from Grangemockler topped the pile, defeating Kilsheelan in the final. In the three years that this particular team has participated in the festive event, they’ve yet to lose a game, a record everyone else in wigs, Santa hats and fake facial hair will be anxious to break come the end of 2009.
An unofficial match on the day ended in some acrimony when referee Dermot Keyes and one of his chief irritants during said game, Colin Bartley, were on the receiving end of a bout of shoeing and spearing.
It amused the watching audience greatly and was thankfully completely conducted in good spirit, having all witnesses laughing merrily on the festive day that was in it.
That both targeted men are self-professed spoof-merchants playing their trade in the murky world of journalism was later dispelled as motivation behind the ‘heavy-handed’ treatment dealt out to them.
"Bartley fully deserved it," said Keyes, sporting a Mrs Clause outfit, not the first time he’s looked like a girl’s blouse on a rugby pitch. "I had no hesitation in not blowing my whistle when it kicked off. It’s been coming to him for the past, I don’t know, 15 years and it was a pleasure to see Collie being shoed so manfully!"
Keyes, who later presented Mr Bartley with a commemorative napkin in the absence of the traditional plate usually on offer in such fixtures, pointed towards a bruise inflicted on his stomach. He looked as sore as he sounded.
"It looks a lot bigger than it actually is given where it is and the time of year and all that, but I’ll get those responsible back, don’t you worry" he huffed while adjusting his skirt. "The things we refs have to put up with."

Kilfeacle & District RFC
Denis Wade PRO

Kilfeacle beat Cobh to go second in the league!
Kilfeacle and District R.F.C. 23
Cobh R.F.C. 12
The dismal weather over the previous weeks combined with the festive break had caused the first team to have very little competitive action for Kilfeacle and District RFC during the month of December. On Sunday 4th of January, Kilfeacle and District R.F.C. firsts team finally returned into the competitive arena and welcomed Cobh Pirates to Morrissey Park. Kilfeacle welcomed the opportunity to once again pit themselves against a worthy adversary and were all to eager to seek revenge for last years encounter when they were the wrong side of a 12 points to 3 score line. However such a long break can sometimes be disadvantageous to a team especially when they had finally found a good run of form. Kilfeacle expected Cobh to be a stern test due to the prominence of Cobh in the league over the last number of years. Cobh were back in action after a very impressive win away to Richmond, who in turn were very impressive when they beat Kilfeacle in the first league encounter of this season. So if you were to go by this it was going to be a very close battle . The pitch was in fine condition considering the time of year and the weather was cold yet dry with a light breeze blowing. Cobh won the toss and elected to play with the sun at their backs in the first half.
Kilfeacle needed to start the game the better of the two teams if they were to get the sizable crowd behind them. However it was Cobh who had first sight at goal when they narrowly missed a penalty after 3 minutes. Kilfeacle showed their intent straight away when they ran the ball out of defence and some last ditch tackling and a handling error saw them stop 5 yards from their opponent’s try line. However the next 10 minutes saw Cobh hold out the visitors as the two sides were evenly matched and cancelled each other out. It was after 12 minutes when Kilfeacle managed to gain the upper hand when Shane Looby scored a penalty. However Shane was unable to convert his next penalty attempt after 17 minutes, which would have seen the homeside double their lead. However he made up for this miss through a well-taken penalty after 22 minutes. Another penalty attempt was presented after 26 minutes and this one sailed agonisingly wide. This signalled the best spell of the match for the Boys in Blue, who over the next 10 minutes forced Cobh into a rearguard action as their clearing kicks were not finding touch and not gaining as much ground as they would wish. In the 29th minute a scrum was awarded to the homeside just outside Cobh’s 22. The pack presented the ball quickly to the backs which enabled, the out half, John Keehan to make a fine break and off load to the on rushing Ger Looby who scored under the posts. Shane Looby converted the try to bring the score line to 13 point to 0 in favour of the home team. Cobh did not lie down but came straight back at their opponents and scored a penalty after 29 minutes to register their first points on the board. Kilfeacle were awarded a penalty in the 31st minute, on this occasion the penalty drifted left and wide to leave the score line still reading 13 points to 3 in favour of the home side. Cobh once again came straight back at their opponents and scored a penalty after 38 minutes. After 39 minutes Kilfeacle and District saw Johan Bourdal score a good try after some fine teamwork. With the first half drawing to a close Shane Looby converted the Try to have the halftime score line reading 20 points to 6 in favour of Kilfeacle and District.
During the halftime break the talk amongst the Kilfeacle and District supporters was of a bonus point, the further the second half progressed the further these talks and thoughts faded. The second half started with nearly a mirror version of the first half with Cobh having first sight at goal when they converted a penalty after just 2 minutes. The next 10 minutes saw Cobh with the Lion’s share of possession and territorial advantage but unable to convert this possession into scores. In the 52nd minute Cobh signalled their intent when their place kicker attempted a kick at goal from just inside their own half, which was successful and saw Cobh move within 8 points of Kilfeacle and District. For the next 10 minutes of the second half Kilfeacle and District seemed to lose their way and a combination of indiscipline and unforced errors threatened to hand the game to Cobh but Kilfeacle rode the storm and like Cobh in the first half were defending well and in the 62nd minute a kickable penalty chance presented itself and Shane Looby converted it to stop the rot and move the score on to 23 points to 12. To Kilfeacle’s credit they rallied and did everything but score a try. The final quarter of the game saw Kilfeacle and District in the ascendancy but unable to score anymore before the final whistle.
The coaches and selectors were happy with the win and the points particularly after the long break. These were two sides evenly matched on the day, with either team only a bounce of a ball or a referee’s decision away from a win. This demonstrates how important the training sessions are and that attendance from now on is vital as with so many players pushing for places and a very busy league and Cup programme in the coming weeks. Kilfeacle would like to thank Cobh R.F.C. for a sporting game and would also like to thank all the supporters whose support is valued greatly. Next week’s fixture is a mouth watering home game against Clonakilty RFC on Sunday 11th of January in the Munster Junior Cup. We hope to see you all there.

Kilfeacle Under 14 away to Thurles.
Thurles R.F.C. 07
Kilfeacle R.F.C. 12
Kilfeacle under 14’s traveled to Thurles on Sunday 21st of December to play Thurles RFC in the semi final of the East Munster Cup and came away deserving winners with 12 points to 7 on the scoreboard. The visitors were smaller but hungrier than the Thurles side but still lived dangerously for some time. But for the courageous performances of Oisin O’Meara, Bryan Roche and Jake O’Halloran, the result could have been different. Their covering and overall commitment helped save the day but it was very much a team effort. Waterpark RFC in a Cup Final is no easy task but that is what faces the boys from the Hill and the coach has every confidence in this team. This success so far has come about through the commitment and hard work displayed by all involved but can only be maintained through more commitment in the New Year and for the rest of the season. It goes to show that if you enjoy team sports in healthy surroundings with experienced coaches, great facilities and loads of fun then Morrissey Park is the place to be Friday nights.

Aidan Clifford PRO

Killorglin Rugby Club Fixture:- Killorglin play Killarney RFC in the Munster Junior Plate this Sunday at the Community College Grounds. Kickoff is at 2pm and all support is welcome.
Senior Team Training continues every Tuesday & Friday at the Intermediate School at 7:00pm. New players are most welcome and our coaches are happy to introduce novice players to the game. Killorglin RFC Underage training continues. Under-age training continues every Saturday at the Intermediate School. It is not too late to join us as coaches will be happy to coach novices to the game. All are welcome. Under 10, 12, & 13 & 14 teams will train on the Dragon’s Den All weather pitch at the Intermediate School at 11am. The Under 16 & 18 teams will train at 1pm. For information on any age grade issues, contact Youth Officer John Costello on 0863558185 or P.R.O Aidan Clifford on 0879065927.
Membership for Killorglin Rugby Club is still open for the 2008-2009 season. Family membership costs €50, a single membership costs €30, while a juvenile membership costs €10. The above numbers can be contacted also for more information

Shannon Club Notes By PRO Andrew McNamara

On Saturday the senior side entertained Garryowen in a friendly prior to the recommencement of competitive action this weekend .Despite the term friendly, this was a full blooded affair with both sides benefiting enormously. The Christmas cobwebs were well and truly shaken off in a game that yielded a total of 64 points inclusive of 10 tries. The only score that separated the sides was a conversion and it was our visitors that took the proverbial spoils by 33-31. The result mattered little in truth and what was garnered by either side was invaluable as both are in AIB Cup action this weekend. Indeed it’s a weekend of huge importance for all our adult sides with all in cup action. For the first time ever the seniors will host Division Two pace setters Ballynahinch in Coonagh, however we do have some experience of the Co. Down club. Our seconds played them in eth north in 2002 in eth semi final of the All Ireland seconds, a game by the way we won. Ballynahinch will pose a serious threat to our title aspirations and reading reports of their progress though the second division they appear to possess talent throughout their team. Nothing will be taken for granted and the preparation for this game is even more intense than normal. Our last competitive game prior to Christmas saw the lads play some great rugby in Coonagh to claim the scalp of St Mary’s so hopefully they can replicate their actions and gain passage to the next round of the cup. Kick Off is at the slightly earlier time of 2pm to account for extra time if necessary. On Sunday the seconds have their biggest outing of the season when they face Garryowen in the junior cup. The seconds have had a somewhat mixed season thus far, but any difficulties they have had emanated from the fact that the senior side have nursed many injuries during the season and consequently the seconds have suffered. Sunday will see the lads hopefully play to their potential. Once again kickoff is at 2pm.

The thirds bounced back from a pre Christmas defeat in the Gleeson league to Thomond last Saturday when they made a fantastic comeback against Old Crescent. After 25 minutes the excess of the festive period seemed evident as they trailed by 13 points to nil and it looked fairly ominous. It was however a little early to be casting such negative aspersions and the lads lifted themselves to make a remarkable turnaround lead nobly by player coach Tony Flynn. Fergal Curtin scored a penalty in the 33rd minute and then just before the break Tony crossed for the first of his brace of tries to leave the half time score at 13-10. Cian Desmond had a very good game playing his first game at outhalf while Mark Adams and Peter King were adding their considerable efforts to the cause. It was nip and tuck all the way but when Tony’s second try took the lead , it proved enough to claim the win and into a playoff to decide the final placings in the league table. Attention this Saturday averts to the McInerny cup first round when Richmond come to Coonagh for a 12.30 start.

The ladies play Kinsale on Sunday at home with a 12.30 start Next Saturday the 17th we play Cork Con in the AIB league and we are hoping to run a Supporters coach. Anyone wishing to travel please contact Ger Mc Closkey at 0872745926.

Old Crescent RFC Club Notes By PRO Frank Larkin

"Con overcome dogged Crescent to end Cup famine" was the headline in the Irish Examiner last Monday, describing the epic Munster Senior Cup Final the day before. All of Monday’s papers reported on this thrilling encounter in which Cork Constitution won their first Munster Senior Cup in 20 years after defeating a gallant Old Crescent side by 21 points to 13. Both coaches on the day spoke highly of the quality of the game and the standard of rugby. Cork Con’s coach, Brian Murphy, said Old Crescent had given his players as stern a test as any of the First Division sides they faced on the way to the Final. Old Crescent’s acting coach, Federico Pucciariello, said everyone in Old Crescent could be very proud of the performance of our players in the Final.

Turning to the match itself, Cork Con got off to an early lead when they scored an opportunist try within the first minute, which wasn’t converted. However, Old Crescent quickly recovered from this setback and began to play a positive attacking game. Midway through the first half, Con were awarded a penalty which they converted, to bring their lead to 8 points to nil. However, Old Crescent replied a few minutes later with a well taken long range penalty by our outhalf, Mark Woods.

The game really came alive when, after a sustained period of Old Crescent forward pressure, Pat Humphries got over for a try near the posts, which Mark Woods converted to put us in the lead for the first time by 10 points to 8. This lead was well deserved with Old Crescent more that matching their opponents, which included some highly rated Munster contracted and academy players. Unfortunately, on the stroke of half time, Juan Pablo Ruiz, who was having an outstanding game, was yellow carded, and Con kicked the subsequent penalty, to give them a narrow half time lead of 11 points to 10.

Ten minutes into the second half, Mark Woods converted another penalty to put Old Crescent back in front by two points. Out team battled hard and we had a few chances to increase our lead but midway through the second half Cork Con got the crucial break when they scored a try by pouncing on an attempted clearance kick. They converted this try to lead by 18 points to 13.

The game was still there for the taking and the Old Crescent team never flagged and continued to put Con under severe pressure right up to the end. Unfortunately, it was not to be our day, and Con sealed their win with a converted penalty near the end to bring the final score to Con 21 and old Crescent 13.

Based on the Old Crescent performance last Sunday, its hard to believe that it was over 45 years since our last appearance in a Munster Senior Cup Final. The bravery, commitment and skill, shown by our players last Sunday shows that we have nothing to fear in the First or Second Division and augers well for the rest of the season.

Fixtures next weekend: With Christmas behind us, we have a full match programme this weekend with all our senior teams in action. Our First team play their postponed AIL Division 2 fixture against Belfast Harlequins this Saturday at 2.30pm at home in Rosbrien. Building on the momentum of our First team’s positive performance in the Cup Final, we expect to see many old and new Old Crescent supporters on our home game next Saturday. Please contact Vincent Collins (087 9756033) if you want to attend the pre-match lunch before this match.

Our Seconds play St Mary’s RC away next Sunday at 2.00pm, our Thirds play Bruff RFC away next Saturday at 1.30pm, and our Under 20’s play Richmond away at 1.00pm next Saturday.

Garryowen FC Notes By PRO Christopher Barry

Happy New Year to all our members and supporters. There are two big Cup games fixed for this weekend. On Saturday our seniors play Bective Rangers in the AIB Cup in Donnybrook at 2.00. It’s a long time since the clubs met but the Rangers have been going along nicely in the second division and our boys will be mad keen to atone for their unbelievable late lapse against Cork Con in the MSC semi final. Our Veterans are also in action so there should be a good buzz around the ground. Hopefully there will be a large attendance at our Munster Junior Cup game v Shannon in Coonagh on Sunday at 2.00. This is a very close game to call and the winners will surely have a big say in the destination of the trophy. (eta). The U20’s make their return to AIL action on Saturday when they travel to play Bruff at 4.30. Our 3rd XV got back into contention in the Gleeson League following a hard earned 17-9 win over Thomond in Dooradoyle last Saturday. This was a game we had to win but things didn’t look great when Thomond took an early lead with two penalty goals. A penalty and drop goal by Rob Sheahan had us all square at half time. In the second half a fine try by Brendan Walsh and another drop goal and penalty by Rob Sheahan enabled us seize the initiative. Thomond never gave up and only great defending in the last 10 minutes kept our line intact as we held out for a narrow but deserved win. In the NML our U16’s beat St. Mary’s 19-3 in Dooradoyle, while our U14’s travelled to Bruff and emerged 36-12 winners. On Sunday our U18’s have an away friendly with UL Bohemian at 11.30 and the U16’s play Old Crescent in the NML in Dooradoyle at 11.30. Blitzes have become the staple diet of the emerging stars of the future and are very well attended at all grounds. An U8 blitz is being held in Dooradoyle on Sunday at 10.30 and St. Senan’s are hosting an U9 equivalent also at 10.30. The club was saddened to hear of the premature death of Andrew Hickey formerly of the Westward Ho and brother of David Hickey prop. South’s Bar. The Hickeys have always been great supporters of sport within our community and their race day sponsorship for Garryowen FC is greatly appreciated. We wish to extend our deepest sympathies to the Hickey family and Andrew’s many friends.


DFP – Right Column – HalfPage


DFP – Right Column – MPU

Related News

The Munster squad are preparing at the HPC ahead of Saturday's Champions Cup round one clash against Bayonne at Thomond Park (5.30pm). Keith Earls and...