DFP Header Area

Share this MunsterRugby.ie page

Club News w/e 01.03.09

23rd February 2009 By Munster Rugby

Club News w/e 01.03.09

Read the latest club news submitted by Club PRO’s around the province

Majella Ryan PRO

Senior fixtures this Sunday:
Next game is on Sunday 1st March at home to Garryowen in the replay of the Munster Junior Cup. KO 2.30 pm and all are welcome.

Clonmel 2nd XV also play host to Garryowen in the Gleeson League semi-final on Sunday, KO 12.30 pm. Come early for this exciting double-header!

Please come and support your local teams in what promises to be an exciting encounter.

Clonmel 1st XV V Newport 1st XV – Munster Junior League
Are we there yet?

Last Sunday saw Clonmel clock up another win in the Munster Junior League. This brings Clonmel closer to the safety zone with only two more matches remaining, against Old Christians and Crosshaven. Clonmel are currently sitting in sixth place in the table. One win from the last two games should see Clonmel safe for the coming season. It was a great win for Clonmel but they had a shaky start. Newport, on a high after their brilliant draw with Kilfeacle last week were first off the blocks and put a lot of pressure on Clonmel from the very beginning. Sure enough their first ten minutes of pressure led to a superbly taken drop goal from their outhalf, Shane Ryan, and a penalty from their first centre, Des August, to leave the score Newport 6, Clonmel 0.

The next twenty minutes was evenly balanced with both teams sharing possession and territory, and neither side giving way. But then Clonmel began to come more into the game and after five minutes of continuous pressure and recycling of the ball, the ball was spun wide to Conor Cooney on the wing. Cooney made the break, avoided two tackles, chipped over the oncoming fullback, to score a well deserved try in the corner.

Clonmel started the second half the same way they finished the first half, focused and determined. Within fourteen minutes of the restart, Clonmel was awarded a penalty on the Newport 22. John "scrum half" Long took a quick tap, released the ball to John Stokes who set up the ruck. Long recycled the ball quickly to let the rampant David Joyce make a dash for the line – try scored. Cooney converted to make the score Clonmel 12, Newport 6. Over the next eight minutes Cooney and August exchanged penalties. But it was Clonmel that finished the stronger.

With fifteen minutes remaining Clonmel were in full control of this game. John Harney moved into full back position. Of course he was tested several times with high kicks from Newport. He passed each test with style. On one occasion he gathered a high ball just outside the Clonmel 22. Made a run, beat off a number tackles, and then chipped the ball forward for Cooney to gather and make the long journey from the halfway to score under the post. Cooney converted his own try to make the score Clonmel 22, Newport 9. Clonmel kept piling on the pressure for the remaining ten minutes of the game and were unlucky not two score on two more occasions to get the bonus point. But Clonmel were the victors and deservedly so. Well done to the panel, coach and backroom staff!!

Of course once the final whistle was blown the calculators and pieces of paper appeared, along with the questions – Are we there yet? Are we safe?

Next week sees the replay of the Munster Junior Cup against Garryowen.

Clonmel Women’s XV vs. Cooke Women’s XV
The All Ireland League Division 1 fixture was cancelled.

Clonmel U14s
Clonmel travelled to Dungarvan on Sunday for a league game. It was a lovely bright morning for rugby and that’s what Clonmel did from the kick off, they played rugby as it can be played. Clonmel controlled the play, cleaned out at the rucks, recycling fast ball with great handling and running out wide. It was exhibition stuff and the scores came, first from Darra after great forward work. Unfortunately, in those few minutes after a score which are vital in any game we conceded a soft try against the run of play. From here Clonmel got back into their stride and worked for each other hitting rucks, providing great ball for the backs to work with. After some great handling and Shaun looped around the outside, and had a lot of work to do stretching for the line to score at the corner flag. This left Clonmel 10-5 up at half time and looking good. With the advantage of the breeze and the first half performance confidence was high for this second half. From the restart it was Dungarvan who took control and soon scored to go two points up. Our shape and work rate were gone and an intercept on the half-way by Dungarvan saw us behind the posts with our heads down. Soon after a lucky bounce gifted another score to the opposition. The score was now 24-10 and the game slipping away but to their credit Clonmel worked their way back into the match and were very unlucky in two scoring attempts. The opening 30 mins and the last 10 mins of this game belonged to Clonmel, that siesta in the third quarter cost us dearly, with that lesson hopefully learned, they can move on to playing the quality rugby that they are capable of for the remainder of the season.
Training on Saturday, everyone needs to be there.

Mini rugby:
Since it was school half term this week, an evening training session was held for the U10 & U12 groups on Wednesday. This was very well supported so we plan to continue with it for the remainder of the season at 6.30 pm each Wednesday.

On Sunday, after all the bad weather we eventually got to hold a blitz at home when we hosted Thurles & Fethard teams at all age groups. There was great rugby played by all the teams. The U11s had good wins over Fethard & Thurles. The U12s went down to Fethard, but bounced back with a strong performance against Thurles. Very good performances were put in by Conail Conroy, Shay van Dam, Thomas Quinlavin, James Kendrick, Andrew Duncan & John McGrath.

Training for U10 & U12s on Wednesday at 6.30 pm and all groups on Saturday at 10:30am.

Next planned fixture is a home blitz on Sunday 8th March against Waterpark & Galbally, to be confirmed.

Clonmel Underage fixtures
Under 14s are away to Cashel on Sunday March 1st. The bus will leave the club at 09.30

Richard Leonard PRO

AIL Div. 2: Bruff V UCC:
What a game, what a game, what a game.

When UCC entered the cauldron of Kilballyowen for the first time at senior level, you knew this second place tie was going to be a cracker, but this turned out to be one of the best games of the league to date. It had a mix of everything really, good tight forward play from Bruff who dominated in the pack in the first half "Down the hill" on the front pitch in Kilballyowen, flashing passes and a willingness to run from everywhere from the students. The ball spent the longest amount of time in play that I have ever seen for a game of rugby, energy sapping phase after phase after phase taking place time and again before the ball left play.
With Second Row Alfie Laffan coming ashore almost immediately after a bang received attempting to grab on to the kickoff, Maurice O’ Connell joined proceedings almost right from the off and the youngster had a game and a half. Bruff basically camped within the college twenty two for much of the half but the students were extremely aggressive in defence. UCC broke out for their only foray of the first half on twenty four minutes or so to run in for a try, courtesy of their inspirational out-half Gavin Dunne. Bruff went in at the interval 6 points to 5 up with two Brian Cahill penalties, the second just minutes before the half time break.
Second half began a little differently with the college pack coming back into the game. Bruff although still extremely dominant in the scrum began to falter a little and one by one players were being injured, changes having to be made almost every few minutes and the physical nature of the defence from both sides starting to tell. With the scores very close _8-6 to college) after a Gavin Dunne penalty 6 minutes into the half, you felt that whichever defence cracked first would lose the game. Bruff as usual defended their line to the very last but with bodies pushed to the limit and all of the Bruff bench on the field, The UCC Scrum half and captain Sam Cronin really took charge of proceedings and College started to squeeze. After ten minutes inside the Bruff twenty two failing to cross the line, Dunne struck again with a drop goal to push them into an 11 points to 6 lead. It was still a reachable target for Bruff to attempt to climb back but now college were really coming into their own. Again they finished out the game camped inside the Bruff 22 and on the last kick of the game almost 6 minutes into injury time Dunne struck again with another drop goal thus denying the home side the losing bonus point. well deserving their four points for all of their work on the day.
We’re now fourth in the Division league table after yesterday but with Old Crescent nipping at our heels just two points behind and having the advantage of a game in hand against Eugene Murnane’s Clonakilty it looks like being a very tight last few games in the run in to try to get into the playoffs.
MSSL Shannon V Bruff J1:
Bruff travelled to Coonagh for this extremely fast paced free flowing game, Shannon running out eventual winners of a basketball type scoreline.
Final score Shannon 55, Bruff 45.

U20 AIL: Bruff V Highfield:
Bruff managed to get a bonus point in their AIL game against Highfield, winning by 25 points to 7. Tries by Cathal O’ Rourke (1 Try), Ian O’ Donoghue (3 Tries). Shane Luby with 1 conversion and one penalty.
They have one game left in the South Western conference against Young Munster.

Injured Players Fund Ticket Draw:
The Injured Players fund draw took place in the clubhouse after the game on Saturday. With IRB Elite referee George Clancy drawing the tickets (Ensuring total impartiality…) Bruff President Willie Conway announced the winning tickets. Thanks to the great efforts of Joe Guiney and his team on the finance committee combined with the sales talents of the players, we managed to raise over €5,000 for the very worthy injured players fund. Well done to all concerned in running the draw.
Prize winners as follows:
1st Prize: Paddy Noonan, Elton.
2nd Prize: Robert Stewart
3rd Prize: Mary Britton, Clonmel.

Bruff travelled into the canal bank and came away with a 7 – nil victory. Scores: Brendan Keogh (Try), Tom O’ Dwyer (Conv).
The 14’s had Shannon at home and went down by 27 points to 5.
Bruff travelled for a tough physical game to the old Showground in Ennis, the game finished Ennis 12 Bruff 5, Sean Leo getting the try for Bruff.

First XV have a well earned recovery break this coming weekend, Fixtures will be listed on the website http://www.bruffrfc.com/ during the week.
Team entry Numbers for the Annual Tag Twilight League are coming in quickly so if you wish to enter get your team name in quickly

Next Committee Meeting at 8:00 pm in the club pavilion

Patrick Flynn

Youghal 20 Ennis 19

Ennis travelled to Youghal on Sunday with high hopes only to come home from Cork with a losing bonus point in a game they should have won easily. The Clare men just seemed to stay on the bus and never got up "a head of steam". Having accounted for Kinsale last week and Newport a division 1 side the previous week, Ennis were firm favourites going to Cork.

Ennis lead 12 -10 at half time after a penalty try on twenty minutes converted by Bryan Murphy and a Jeff Ruttle try and a converted try and penalty to the Cork side. Both sides it must be said were extremely disciplines and the penalty count was low throughout the game. However the second half saw the home side again cross the Ennis line and convert a penalty to one more penalty from Bryan Murphy and a try from Joe Moloney. Leaving Youghal in raptures and Ennis facing the long bus journey home, it was clearly a disappointing performance for the players and a frustrating one for the team management especially having been nine points up with 6 minutes to.

Ennis have beaten some of the best sides in the leagues this season as well as higher division sides in the cup, however they have left points behind on the road to the weaker sides and this could prove decisive come the end of the league campaign.

While still in fourth place and with side above them still to meet each other they still are in the promotion race they will be bitterly disappointed on Sunday’s performance. They will feel they left three points in Youghal two for a win and a bonus point for scoring four tries.

Next week sees a return to Cup action for the County Town side when they take on UL Bohemian the A.I.L. division 1 side in the Munster Junior Challenge Cup.

Drumbiggle has become a bit of a fortress for Ennis this season, while Bohs are considered on of the favourites for the cup having accounted for Shannon to reach the final of the Transfield cup. The Limerick side will start as favourites but the home team will be angry with themselves after Sunday and an intriguing battle is in store with a result on the day required for progression to the last sixteen.

Team: J. O’Donnell, S. Flannagan, J. Littleton, D. Murphy, B. Murphy. J.Ruttle, B.Farrell, L. Ryan, M. McInerney (Capt.) J. Considine, D. Forde, R.Duggan, S. Melbourne. G. Murphy. J. Maloney for S. Melbourne. E.McInerney for B.Farrell. K.Browne for M.McInerney.

Kilfeacle RFC
Denis Wade PRO

Kilfeacle beat Skibereen in the league!
Kilfeacle and District R.F.C. 22
Skibbereen R.F.C. 10

After last week’s home draw it was vitally important to continue with a win in the league with the quarter final of the Munster Junior Cup looming, however when the opponents were Skibbereen, who have beaten us in the league both home and away over the last two years it was going to be a tough assignment. Although our form of late has been showing signs of improvement everyone, from players, selectors, coaches and supporters, knew that if we were to take something from this game we would have to perform to the best of our ability as a team. At 2.30pm on Sunday 22nd of February the sun was shining and the home side had the advantage of a light breeze for the first half. Kilfeacle started the game well and immediately pushed Skibbereen back into their own 22. This was as far as the home side advanced as they met the Skibbereen defensive wall, which on the day was not going to be breached easily. As the half wore on Kilfeacle pushed further and further into their opponents territory and managed to put together some threatening attacks but all the while Skibbereen kicked the ball back over their heads and gained ground was once again relinquished. With 20 minutes of the half gone Kilfeacle had restricted the visiting side to very few chances. Then in the 20th minute a promising attack by Kilfeacle led to the Skibbereen defence, which previously had been in miserly form, giving away to an excellently worked try touched down by Ger Looby in the corner. The subsequent conversion kick was missed however it seemed that Kilfeacle’s territorial dominance was starting to pay off. When Skibbereen restarted the game they immediately worked their way back into their opponents half and were awarded a penalty 35 yards out near the right hand touchline. They elected to kick, but saw this attempt drift to the left of the uprights however three minutes later when Kilfeacle seemed content to hold their opponents, an excellent break out of defence saw Skibbereen surge into the Kilfeacle 22, to be stopped just yards from the line. The visitors regrouped and after some good phases of play they breached the Kilfeacle defence and touched down in the corner. The travelling supporters’ joy was obvious but lessened as the conversion was missed. With the half dwindling away Kilfeacle and District once again built phase after phase of play which was awarded when some good work by the pack in particular Johan Bourdal was rewarded when Jack Sullivan touched down for Kilfeacle’s second try of the half. Yet again the conversion attempt was too difficult foe Shane Looby. When the half time whistle sounded the scoreboard showed 10-5 to Kilfeacle and District.
Trailing only by 5 points having spent most of the half defending Skibbereen were suddenly in the ascendency, the Kilfeacle squad new that their discipline and hard work during the first half had now been eroded in a few short minutes and that Skibbereen had gained themselves a realistic chance of achieving a vital away win. From the restart, Skibbereen immediately took the game to Kilfeacle and gained territorial advantage and within minutes were level after a superbly taken try.. The home side were now under extreme pressure and needed to defend well. The next 20 minutes of play were spent with both sides evenly matched and creating chances that neither could convert. In the 64th minute Kilfeacle’s efforts were rewarded when some fine play by the forwards culminated in Jack Sullivan scoring his second try of the game. This time Shane Looby converted and put the gap to 7 points. The next 10 minutes were cagey, as both teams knew that only one try separated them and that margin would not be enough. Both teams built good phase play but the defences on both sides held tough. In the 75th minute Ger Looby capped a fine personal display and a fine move by going over in the corner. The conversion was a bridge too far for Shane Looby. This was to be the last score of the game as try as they might Skibbereen’s best offensive endeavours fell short on the day. The final scoreline of 22-10 in favour of the homeside slightly flattered the victors but the win was deserved.
After the game Johan Bourdal said, "We are delighted with the win and the manner in which it was achieved. We are now second in the league and travel to face third placed Tralee in the quarter final of the Munster Junior Cup next week. I would like to take this opportunity to thank Skibbereen for a hard fought but sporting match."
Our next game is a tough away game against Tralee in the second Quarter Final of the Munster Junior Cup on Sunday 1st of March. Cashel will be overwhelming favourites for this one having not lost a game in league or Cup in months and having the added advantage of the home draw. However we know that our boys will give everything they have to the cause and not be left wanting, and what more can we ask for. The team as ever are proud and humbled by the amount of support they receive and hope that their supporters will continue to come along and support the team on Sunday.

Kilfeacle and District Under 14s lose out to Waterpark.
Kilfeacle and District R.F.C. 10
Waterpark R.F.C. 14
Kilfeacle under 14’s hosted Waterpark RFC on the hill on sunday. The original ‘game of two halves’ ensued with the bigger Waterpark team, laying siege to the Kilfeacle line. The continuous pressure resulted in two converted tries for the visitors at the half time whistle. The boys in blue however were not going down without a fight and held territorial advantage for much of the second half and finally scored two tries towards the end. Unfortunately the tries were not converted leaving the final score 14 points to 10 in favour of Waterpark. The coach and all involved are proud of the way the boys played and remarked that no other team in the division would have given Waterpark such a game. The defence was sharp and committed and clever attacking moves paid dividends. Work must be done on the counter rucking skills as this is one area where the modern game is won or lost. Thurles away next week is another big challenge as they came out on top in the last encounter. Full commitment to training is expected on friday night.

Kilfeacle and District Under 10s and 8s.
Last Sunday Kilfeacle U10s travelled with 32 players to Garryowen Rugby Football club in Limerick. This was a real test of just how far the exceptionally talented U10 Blues have progressed this season. Weather was perfect and pitches were in good condition. The results of the games were as follows:

1. Kilfeacle U10A vs. Garryowen U10A 5 – 2 (Kilfeacle won)
2. Kilfeacle U10B vs. Garryowen U10B 1 – 4 (Garryowen won)
3. Kilfeacle U10C vs. Garryowen U10C 5 – 3 (Kilfeacle won)
4. Kilfeacle U8As vs. Garryowen U9s 3 – 1 (Garryowen won).

The quality of the rugby was exceptional for the age level with an exciting mix of both controlled phases and open attacking rugby and credit goes to all the players, their families and the U10 & U8 coaches of the young Kilfeacle men. Players deserving of a mention on the day were:
10As:- Josh Ryan, Davy Byron, Luke Ashmore, James Dee, Shane Farrell, Arnold O’ Dwyer, James Dee and Jake Flannery
10Bs:- Eoin Ryan, Kieran Breen, Christy Farrell, Brian Hally, Stevie Farrell and Mickey O’ Brien.
10Cs:- Eoin Kelly, John O’ Sullivan, Byron O’ Neill and Padraig Ryan
8s:- Tony, Byron, Brian Barlow, Killian Noonan, Alan Flannery, Ciaran and Brendan Ryan, Kevin Hally, Shane Farrell and Ben Quinn

Dermot Keyes PRO

Division 3 Group B: Douglas 10 Carrick-on-Suir 24

Our First XV remains firmly on course to top Division Three Group B of the Munster Junior League thanks to a 24-10 win in Douglas on Sunday afternoon. Recording their sixth win in seven league outings, Carrick currently sit seven points clear of Galbally, the only team to defeat them in this group to date. Intriguingly, Galbally, who defeated struggling Dungarvan 36-0 on Sunday, will travel to Tybroughney for the next round on March 8th, knowing they must win and deny Carrick a losing bonus to remain in table topping contention.

Carrick, who have a game less to play than Galbally, will have a trip to Dungarvan on March 29th which still looks likely to seal their Group victory. Such a scenario is likely to see Carrick hosting Saint Mary’s in the Division Three semi-final, with Galbally and Douglas left to battle it out for a semi-final visit to Castleisland.

Carrick trailed to a try from the hosts before fortuitously getting off the scoring mark; James Wallace’s penalty striking a post only to bounce back into his path for an unexpected run-in, which he also converted. An early second half penalty from Ross Clery (who had been sin-binned in the first half) extended Carrick’s advantage to five points before the hosts ran in a try down the corner to level matters. Despite two further yellow cards for Jamie Steele and Dean Landy (we’ve now picked up eight such binnings in their last three games), the league’s pacesetters didn’t panic and stuck gamely to their task.

Having been awarded a penalty, Carrick opted for a kick into the 22; the resulting line-out leading to a fine move across the backline which set Peter Steele on a try-scoring run from 20 yards out. Clery converted and Carrick led again, this time by seven points. With the scent of victory in our nostrils, despite a less than comfortable afternoon against the Douglas pack, we exerted decent pressure on Douglas as they tried to work through a few phases.

An excellent turnover on the halfway line led to a superb counter-attacking opportunity for the ever alert Steele who sped clear to touch down under the posts. Clery again converted to seal a great win for Carrick, the only disappointment of the afternoon being the failure to add a bonus point. But considering our last visit to Douglas ended in a 50-point-reversal for Carrick, this was disappointment of the ‘small d’ kind for the men in red and blue.

Next Sunday, Carrick’s Second XV travel to Ballinakill to take on Waterpark in the Casey Cup.

UL Bohemian Rugby Notes
Weekending 22nd Feb 2009
Denis Ryan

UL Bohs displayed the usual maddening mixture of brilliance and carelessness in losing to Old Belvedere by 13-6 in Annacotty. Some satisfaction was derived from snatching a losing bonus at the end thanks to a Fergal Lawler penalty, but the side had many previous opportunities, which were repulsed by determined Old Belvedere defence. The visitors lived on the offside line, but showed a will to win which was greater than that of the home side, and while their scoring ended early in the first half, they kept their line intact with very strong defence.

The loss of Tommy O’Donnell was keenly felt – he was called up to assist Munster – and this late change affected the efficiency of the lineout. The strong Old Belvedere scrum also put pressure in the set pieces, while a couple of missed tackles resulted in the visitors crossing for the only try of the game, which eventually proved to be the decisive score.
A victory in the game would have put us back in the frame for a play off place, but now the emphasis must be in finishing in the top 8. Our next home game, against Terenure on 7th March, has taken on even more importance.

Congratulations to Ed Torrie on making the Ireland Club side for the game against England. If he plays his usual game, he’ll be a great success.

The U-20 game against Young Munster was cancelled yet again, and it appears the decision may now go to the committee room. On Saturday we take on Buccaneers in Annacotty, and all available support is needed for this vital game.

The Seconds play an equally important game on Sunday when they travel to Ennis for the next round of the Munster Junior Cup. The local side are very strong this season, so we need every club member to travel and assist the squad from the sideline.

In the annual colours game UL beat LIT in a very entertaining contest which was much closer than the final scoreline of 31-13 suggests. The game featured some excellent tries by Killian Kennedy, Gary Walsh, Peter Boland, Harry de Stackpoole and Sean McKeown, and a magnificent try saving tackle by Finbar Ahern who showed exceptional speed to get back when a score appeared inevitable from an intercept.

Nenagh Ormond RFC Notes for Weekend 14th and 15th Feb 2009

Nenagh Ormond 16 – Old Wesley 11

On a fabulous day for rugby, aided by a fine crowd, Nenagh gave their best performance of the season, beating the team lying second on the table. Old Wesley have a fabulous tradition of rugby and brought a bus load of supporters with them in their quest to go to division 2 after a number of years in division 3. They had Eric Miller the British and Irish lion coaching from the side line and were a very slick team with ball in hand. Their play encourages players when going into contact to lay off the ball at all times. It was very evident in their play particularly in the first half and they were very good at this.

Small things, particularly at the start of a game will always signal a bit of intent. Old Wesley had a good breeze in the first half and their out half cleared a long ball down into the 22. Vima Tuidraki gathered the ball and rather than kick it attempted to out speed his opposite number. It took a long time to get Vima down before he was initially put into touch at the half way line. It was like a statement that Nenagh had come to play. Old Wesley were awarded a very early penalty from just inside the half way line. The Old Wesley kicker landed a fabulous penalty with the breeze behind him. The next ten minutes were all Nenagh moving ball from side to side and Old Wesley conceded a penalty under the post when their wing forwarded was sin binned for killing the ball when it looked like a try was on. 3 all was the score at this stage. Indeed Nenagh had another penalty shortly afterwards but this was wide of the mark. Wesley produced this offloading game and were very cohesive in their effort. It caused Nenagh a lot of problems and they spent most of the first half chasing Wesley down. They were very nifty in the backs and only for stout Nenagh defence things could have gone terribly wrong. Wesley scored a try wide on the left after a series of phases and ball handling the winger crossed about five yards in from the touch line. The resultant conversion was missed but Wesley were awarded another penalty shortly afterwards. 11-3 with the wind still blowing didn’t seem like a bad result from a Nenagh point of view, however Wesley missed a further penalty so the home support would have been delighted that Nenagh were only 11-3 down at half time.

The second half started with Wesley trying to press home their advantage as their confidence seemed high. However, Nenagh were getting to grips with the Old Wesley pack and the scrum was beginning to get on top. The young fellows in the forwards particularly Brian Williams and Keith Quigley were getting their hands on more ball. Colm McMahon and Robbie Powell were beginning to dictate things and the excellent Moses Volavola was taking ball on. He was double teamed on a number of occasions but he still came back for more. As a result Nenagh were able to use territorial advantage and pin Old Wesley down. Nenagh scored a great try from forward pressure with Colm McMahon getting the touch down. The conversion was added. With about 6 minutes to go a ball broke down in the middle of the field and Brian Williams was extremely brave to dive on it. The ball was moved to the short side where Colm McMahon made a break and gave Vima Tuidraki half a chance. He still had his man to beat but he did so. It was nothing more than Nenagh deserved. The conversion was added and there was only a two point game. Wesley attempted to come back at Nenagh but Nenagh held tight and were awarded with a further penalty from well out which was duly landed by John Lillis.

As indicated previously this was the best Nenagh performance this year which rewarded the good crowd. There are four games to go in the league and looking at the league table it would be hard to envisage Nenagh taking a hand. However a lot of the top teams have to play each other so please God that the good work can keep going and we will be able to finish the season strongly. Nenagh have a wonderful head ache in that they have AIL to continue with the first team a Munster Junior Cup Quarter Final against Garryowen or Clonmel for the second team the under 20’s in their league final and the under 18’s both in their league and cup competition. Not a bad state of affairs.

TEAM: M. Kennedy ( Captain ), C. Whelan, F. Brislane, R. Powell, K Quigley, B Williams, C McMahon M. Volavola, M Fogarty, J. Lillis, G. Harmse, D. Delaney, D. Corcoran, R. O’Brien, V Tuidraki,

SUBS USED: D. Dunne, A. Grey


Nenagh Ladies had a break last weekend but return to cup action this week against division one side Ballincollig in the All-Ireland Bowl. Training continues Wednesdays and Fridays at 7:30. New players always welcome, contact Louise on 087-2201596.


U20 League

Cashel 9 Nenagh 13

"Nenagh Win Top Of The Table Clash"

Nenagh travelled to Cashel on Saturday last and emerged with a hard earned but deserved victory. With both sides unbeaten going into the game the winner would top the table and with so much at stake the exchanges were uncomprimising.On a perfect day for rugby both sides were willing to use their backs early on but both defences were strong and try scoring opportunities were at a premium. Nenagh had the first chance to score from a penalty on the left but the kick drifted wide, However Nenagh made amends shortly after with another penalty from almost the same position which Dan Fogarty converted.Nenagh soaked up some pressure as Cashel came back into the game but good defence by Darren Ahern and Gavin Mc Avinchey in the centre held the line. The Ormonds struck again ten minuted before the break when the pack brought play to the twenty two metre line and quick ruck ball saw Dan Fogarty drop a smashing goal from thirty metres.Cashel came back strongly and scored from a penalty just before the break.The second half was nail biting stuff with little between the sides but it was Cashel who hit the front with fifteen minutes remaining when they converted two penalties in quick succession. However Nenagh showed great character and upped the tempo as Cashel tired and laid siege to the Cashel line for the last ten minutes. After numerous phases and great patience Nenagh worked a three on one overlap and Justin Conroy cut inside the defender to score under the posts, with Fogarty converting. Three minutes remained but Nenagh ran down the clock to make it seven wins in a row with three games remaining.Nenagh will look no further than their next game which is away to Clanwilliam on Saturday at 2pm. In a great team performance Rory Whelan and Michael Harding stood out in the pack while Shane Quinlan and Dan Fogarty were the pick of the backs.
Squad: Keith Purcell, Paudie Maxwell, Damien Cahalan, John Coffey, Josh Fletcher,Andrew Kelly,David Cleary, Jamie Quigley,Michael Lynch,Michael Harding, Rory Whelan,Jeff Mc Donald (Capt),Fergal Hayes, Michael Long, Dan Fogarty, Leslie Hayes, Justin Conroy, Shane Qinlan,Gavin Mc Avinchey, Darren Aherne, Robert Duff.


UNDER 18’s:


Nenaghs U-18’s continued their good run of form with a win at home to Waterford City on Sunday in the Quarter Final of the East Munster Cup, on a scoreline of 22 points to nil.

It was an ideal day for rugby, with the game being played in almost perfect conditions – with a slight breeze blowing out from town and good ground under foot. Nenagh started the stronger, with the pack exerting early pressure in the scrum and at lineout, and it was a from a Waterford scrum that the home team manufactured the first score of the game. Showing excellent scrimmaging technique on an opposition put-in, Adrian Lewis took a great ball against the head for Nenagh, and after captain Rory Whelan set off on one of his trademark rampaging runs, Fergal Hayes was on hand to finish the move under the posts, with Dean Wallace converting. The home team continued to mount attack after attack, and after a great kick through by Wallace, Rory Whelan was fastest in the chase to the line to get the second try for Nenagh. With Nanagh now in the ascendancy, attack after attack was launched on the Waterford line, with forwards and backs linking well. However, this strong pressure failed to result in any further scores, and the half ended in a scoreline of twelve points to nil for the home team.

Nenagh were first to score early in the second half, effectively ending the games as a contest, when Whelan again got over for his second try of the game after a series of pick and go’s from the pack. The management team decided to make some changes at this stage of the game, with Kevin O’Gorman, Brian Dillon, Adam Wallace and Sean Fogarty entering the fray for Nenagh, and it showed the strength of this U-18 squad that the new players slotted in seamlessly and gave new impetus to the team as they were all eager for action. As the second half wore on, strong runs from John O’Dowd Michael Long and Kevin Walsh in the backs and David Cleary and Andrew Kelly in the pack almost yielded more scores for the home team, but it was only with ten minutes to go, that they were able to secure the 4th try. Fullback Michael Long made an incisive break from full back, to run half the length of the pitch to score, thus sealing another important victory for Nenagh. Impressing on the day for Nenagh were Rory Whelan, Paudie Maxwell, Kieran McCann and Andrew Kelly in the pack, while in the backs Fergal Hayes, Kevin Walsh and Michael Long continue to impress.

The team on the day for Nenagh was as follows;
Forwards – Kieran Mc Cann, Adrian Lewis, Padraig Maxwell, Kevin O’Gorman, Andrew Kelly, Ritchie Nevin, Cathal Donovan, David Cleary and Rory Whelan
Backs – Fergal Hayes, Sean Fogarty, Dean Wallace, John O’Dowd, Kevin Walsh, James Holland, Paidi Curtin, Brian Dillon, Adam Wallace and Michael Long

The team are due to contest the Final of the East Munster League against Kilfeacle RFC on Sunday 1st of March at 11:00am at the grounds of Thurles RFC, and the team and management would ask for as much support as possible from friends and family for this important match. Training continues as normal in Tyone each Friday night at 7.30., and the management would ask for a full turnout as we reach the final stages of the league and cup campaigns.

UNDER 16’s:


Nenagh are out of the running in the League, but gave a very good account of themselves against League finalists, Kilfeakle on Sunday last. The match was played in perfect conditions for open rugby. Nenagh were short a few regulars, but the lads who filled in all took their opportunity to impress, leaving the team management with some selection headaches for the Cup competition.
The visitors were quicker out of the blocks and scored 3 quick tries before Nenagh settled into the game. Kevin O’Flaherty scored a great try for the home side just before half-time to bring Nenagh back into the game and in the second half, Emmet Maher scored a very well taken try to keep Nenagh in the chase. The visitors managed to keep their noses in front though and ran out winners in the end.

Nenagh play the 2nd round of the Cup at home to Fethard on Sunday next. Time to be confirmed in training.

Well Done to our Nenagh Lads
Nenagh Ormond had 6 under 16 players on the East Munster Team this week, Aaron Nevin, Cronan Gleeson, Anthony Collins, Conor Whelan, Austin Commane & Daire Quinn. All six togged out against a visting Welsh Team in Nenagh on Wednesday last and on Saturday East Munster played North Munster for which Cronan Gleeson & Anthony Collins were on the starting 22, and represented Nenagh Ormond very well, final result of that match East Munster 24 – North Munster 27. Congratulations to all 6 lads for representing their Club.

Under 14s

The under 14s had a busy schedule over their mid term break. Their 1st game was away to Roscrea at a midweek 4pm kick off. Both sides were scoreless at half time. In the 2nd half, Nenagh had the aid of the hill, & took full advantage of it and scored 3 tries in the process. Final Score 19- 0.

On Sunday, we were away again, to Cashel, who were unbeaten in the League. On a good morning for rugby, it took both sides time to settle and get on with the game. After a mistake in Nenagh’s defensive line, Cashel were handed a soft try against the run of play, which took them up to half time, with a score of 5 – 0. The second half saw a more open game and after some good work by the team saw Nenagh go over for a good try. With a final score of 5-5, this was a fair result for the game.

Next Game for 14s is a home fixture V Galbally. Training wed & Friday @ 7pm.

Under 8s, 10s and 12s
Nenagh Ormond RFC Juvenile Section U8, U10 & U12 played in a blitz on Sunday last 22nd February, at New Ormond Park, Lisatunny against Shannon RFC & Ballina / Killaloe RFC
Shannon RFC travelled with very large numbers of both players & parents, conditions on Sunday were ideal for juvenile rugby.

On Sunday next 1st March, Nenagh Ormond RFC Juvenile Section U8, U10 & U12 play in a blitz at home in Lisatunny against Thomond RFC & Young Munsters RFC
please be there for 10.00am sharp, as there are Cup match scheduled later for the pitches.


Would like to thank the members of the public who supported our Flag Day on Saturday last, February 21st.


DFP – Right Column – HalfPage


DFP – Right Column – MPU

Related News

The Munster team has been named for our URC semi-final against Glasgow Warriors at Thomond Park on Saturday (6pm). Over 19,000 tickets have already been...