DFP Header Area

Share this MunsterRugby.ie page

Club News W/C 22/3

25th March 2009 By Munster Rugby

Club News W/C 22/3

News from Around the clubs week ending 22 March


Killorglin Rugby Club’s Senior team travelled to Killarney RFC on Sunday last in the Munster Junior League. Unfortunately, in the greatest weekend in Irish rugby history, the Killorglin men were unable to overcome the local derby. They lost 21-9, with all of the visitor’s points coming from Ronan Curtayne.
Senior Team Training continues every Tuesday & Friday at 7pm at the Dragon’s Den All weather pitch

First off, Congratulations to the fabulous Irish team who made history on Saturday last. John Hayes of course played the game of his life, (I know it could be said that I’m biased, him being a Bruffian an’ all but I like to think that I’m being reasonably objective) the man seems to just get better and better as he goes on. His work-rate around the field is just awesome. Hit after hit, tackle after tackle, even carrying ball like a young fellah on his first cap. The problem has always been to find a replacement for himself, the second rows and O’ Gara and I fear that this Irish team will suffer in the coming years until this matter is put to bed. Not that we wish him to finish any time soon, he’s playing far too well for that.
As I said during my "apology to Brian O’ Driscoll" last week on http://www.bruffrfc.com/, there is another changed man, back to the Drico of a few years back. He put himself about everywhere, put his body on the line and on Saturday again he put his head where you wouldn’t send your mother in law to score that try. He was again Captain Fantastic on the day and as I have already said the change in our Captain can only be put down to the Management squad. Finally Declan Kidney and his crew have welded together an Irish team playing for the jersey instead of a Munster pack and half-backs with a Leinster Backline and the occasional Ulsterman thrown into the mix. Speaking of which Tommy Bowe has improved immensely this season as well and even if Bestie got in O’ Gara’s way for a few seconds before the drop-goal on Saturday his contribution has been great this year.
The Parish Cardiac machines were put to good use all around the country I’m sure during the last ten minutes of the game, and the elation following that Antifreeze veined drop goal from ROG was quickly followed by absolute horror in the dying seconds waiting for Jones’s kick, again quickly followed by ecstasy when he missed. I’M SORRY BUT, I have to again ask how the last penalty was even granted at all. <Begin Small Rant>I know I keep saying this but the powers that be just have to clarify the situation at the ruck. The last penalty was awarded for playing the ball back on the ground (judging by the referees signals) but Paddy Wallace was one hundred percent standing on his feet and had come through the gate. In my opinion, following the letter of the laws he was fully entitled to do as he did but he could easily have been the villain of the piece after Mr. Barnes’s pinging. We have to get clarification and consistent application of the ELV’s once and for all when it is eventually decided what is and isn’t allowed to happen at a ruck. <end small Rant>.
After all that it must be said that these are definitely the golden days for Munster and Irish Rugby and hopefully the journey will continue all the way to Edinburgh in May, but of course we have the small matters of ¼ and Semi-finals to deal with first.
Before all of the excitement of Saturday evening there were other matters to be taken care of during the weekend on the domestic front. The First XV took a trip into Coonagh on Saturday to play a friendly warm-up game against Shannon in preparation for their outing this coming Weekend against Ballynahinch.
On the same day, the Fabulous J2’s put away a spirited Shannon side in Coonagh on Saturday in the McInerney cup Semi-final. At Half-time Bruff led by 6 points to three courtesy of two Richie McAuliffe penalties. Shannon fought back early in the second half with a converted try on 52 mins but Bruff struck again less than ten minutes later with a try by Mike Fitzgerald and successfully closed out the last quarter to come away with the win. Final Score 11-10.
Bruff Scores: McAuliffe: 2 pens on 7 and 22 minutes. and Mike Fitzgerald try on 60 mins. Team: S. Shea, T. Quirke, J. Donworth, S. Danaher, P. Fogarty, D. Power, M. Hennessy, J. Power, N. McCarthy, D. Clarke, M. Fitzgerald, M. McCarthy, P. Twomey, E. O’ Shea, R.McAuliffe, Subs: S.Sheehan (R. T. Quirke, 65), J. McCarthy (R. D.Power, 55mins) R.Kirby, (R. M.McCarthy, 22mins), J. Guiney, B. Begley, R. Deady.
Congratulations to the Under Thirteen’s, who in a tight encounter in Dooradoyle last Sunday won their top place league play-off away against Garryowen. Half time score Nil all after the twenty five, Garryowen went 5-0 up five minutes into the second half after a try. Bruff had levelled to 5-5 within another five minutes and finally with four minutes left on the clock Graham Whelan kicked a penalty to give Bruff an 8 – 5 lead which is how the game finished on fifty minutes. This gave Bruff the league title and the cup is next up in their season. Scorers: Alex McAuliffe try on 35 mins. Graham Whelan Penalty on 45 minutes. Saturdays Team lined out as follows: J. Aherne, K. Rea, B. Keogh, A. McAuliffe, C. O’ Dwyer, P. O’ Connell, E. Costelloe, T. O’ Dwyer, A. Neylon, A. Cooke, J. Doherty, K. Hosford (C), S. Doonagh, D. Cosgrave, G. Whelan. Subs. and remainder of squad: M.McKenna, M. Barry, R. Coughlan, D. Glynn, A. O’ Connell, D. O’ Grady (R. A. Cooke on 35 mins), G. Cosgrove, A. Shanahan, C. Birrane, C. Berkery, C. Collopy, E. Finn, A. O’ Sullivan, J. Carew, W. Moloney, J.J.Conway, C. Staunton, D. Prendergast, P. McMahon, P. O’ Mahoney
Sunday also saw a visit from neighbours UL Bohemians and travelling team Wetherby High School from Yorkshire for a blitz in Kilballyowen. Rugby carried on well into the afternoon and they all enjoyed a bit of grub and soft drinks in the pavilion afterwards while some presentations were made to the travelling teams mentors.
Next weekend sees the return of the AIL and we entertain Ballynahinch who face Cork Cons in the final of the AIB Cup next month. Ballynahinch of course lie five points ahead of us and to keep us in with any hope of a playoff place we have to win.
In the not too distant future we have the return of the Tag Rugby spring league kicking off during Easter week, it’s almost at capacity now folks so be quick downloading application forms from the website if your team wishes to get some practice in before the main summer leagues begin. Dates and details for the Bull N’ Booze tag blitz will be published in the not too distant future as well once the I’s are dotted and T’s crossed etc.
For the rest of the coming weekends fixtures and results updates just log on to the website http://www.bruffrfc.com/. Next committee meeting takes place on Monday night next (30th) at 8:00 pm.


Nenagh Ormond RFC Notes for Weekend 21st and 22nd March 2009

Our Senior squad played a friendly against Thomond on Friday night last under lights in Lisatunny. This was a good run out for both teams who didn’t have AIL action over the weekend and were glad of the fixture.
Nenagh came out winners in the end, final score 33 – 17.

We return to League action this weekend with a home fixture against Midleton. This is our second last home game of this season so not many chances left to see the lads in action. All support welcome, kick-off 2.30pm


Nenagh Ladies had no match last weekend. Training continues Wednesdays and Fridays at 7:30. New players always welcome, contact Louise on 087-2201596.


Nenagh 21 Dolphin 5

Nenagh became Munster League Champions on Saturday last when beating Dolphin in the final at Lisatunny. The supporters were treated to an excellent game of high quality rugby with no quarter asked or given as one would expect in a final where Tipp and Cork teams are involved. Dolphin had a powerful forward unit and looked to dominate Nenagh up front and got off to a perfect start scoring a try in the right corner after only three minutes, with the conversion being missed. Nenagh with wind advantage did not panic and soon were deep in Dolphin territory where they were awarded a penalty which Dan Fogarty converted from forty metres. Dolphin looked to progress up field by use of their big pack but the Nenagh defence was awesome with some huge hits driving Dolphin attackers back over the gain line. Nenagh on the other hand looked to move the ball wide at every opportunity as the Nenagh backs had the pace to trouble the opposition. Following a period of Nenagh pressure the ball was moved to the blind side wing where David Cleary showed his footballing skills to kick the ball behind the defence and win the race for the touch down to score a try which Dan Fogarty converted from the touch line. Nenagh were having their best period of the game and following great interplay between backs and forwards Dan Fogarty struck a sweet drop goal from thirty metres and followed this up with another drop goal from the same distance five minutes later. Nenagh led by 16pts to 5pts at the break but with the wind picking up Dolphin were going to use the breeze to pin Nernagh back and hope to score through their pack. Things got worse for Nenagh early in the second half when they had a man sent off and the Nenagh scrum came under pressure with only seven men. However, the spirit in the team came to the fore with every man raising his game. The work rate and tackling was immense and Nenagh refused to yield under severe pressure. When it looked certain Dolphin were going to score the Nenagh defense somehow won the ball back on their own line and immediately broke to bring play to the Dolphin line. This was the turning point of the game and Nenagh played the last twenty minutes as if they were the team with an extra man. Nenagh sealed the victory with a smashing try with ten minutes remaining when Jeff Mc Donald used quick ball from the pack to put the backs away on the right hand side and good inter-passing between Shane Quinlan, Bob Duff and Justin Conroy put Dan Fogarty clear to score in the corner. Dolphin to their credit never gave up but Nenagh were in no mood to give away a Munster title and continued to press the Cork side all over the field until the final whistle. The forwards to a man were magnificent and it would be unfair to single out any individual while the backs gave an exhibition of running rugby which was a pleasure to witness. The victory was greeted with great joy by players and supporters and the cup was presented on behalf of the Munster Branch by Bobby O Brien, jointly to Peter O Connor our injured captain and Jeff Mc Donald playing captain. The victory speech included thanks to the U20 squad for their tremendous dedication during the year, the management team of Matt Mc Mahon, Tony Burns & Mike Kelly, the coaches Mark Everitt, Alfie Moran & Ricky Mc Donald, family and supporters. The talent coming through bodes well for the future of the club and many of these players will be pressing for senior places in the future.
Squad: Peter O Connor, Keith Purcell, Damien Cahalan, John Coffey, Kieran Mc Cann, Michael Lynch, Paudie Maxwell, Adrian Lewis, Josh Fletcher, Andrew Kelly, David Cleary, Eddie Gleeson, Jamie Quigley, Michael Harding, Rory Whelan, Jeff Mc Donald, Dan Fogarty, Leslie Hayes, Shane Quinlan, Steven Harvey, Bob Duff, Darren Ahern, Gavin Mc Avinchey, Justin Conroy, Michael Long, Fergal Hayes

Under 18s
Nenagh contest Munster U-18 Title in Cork on St. Patrick’s Day

Nenagh U-18’s traveled to the grounds of Cork Institute of Technology on St. Patrick’s Day to contest the Munster U-18 Final against local team Highfield of Cork.

In what can only be described as perfect conditions for rugby, with bright sunshine, a slight wind, firm conditions underfoot, and a fantastic venue, the large crowd that packed the stand in Cork I.T. were treated to a fiercely contested game between two teams desperate to win this prestigious title. Although smaller in stature to their opponents, this young Nenagh team gave as good as they got in the early encounters, with some big hits and bruising tackes on their opposite numbers. However, Highfield were the first to score, when after some good handling in midfield by their backs, the Tipp team were penalized for hands in the ruck just inside their 22. The kick was duely dispatched by the Highfield number ten, to give them a lead of 3 to nil.

Nenagh continued to take the game to Highfield, and after a number of pick and go’s by the pack, were awarded a penalty inside the Highfield 22. This penalty was to come at a cost however, as Andrew Kelly (one of the teams main ball carriers) was injured at one of the rucks and had to be stretchered off the pitch with what looked like a serious neck injury. This further weakened the Nenagh cause, as they had to start without the influential Rory Whelan who was suffering with a serious knee ligament problem and could not start the game. The long break between the time of the penalty being awarded and actually being taken did not help kicker Dean Wallace, and the penalty attempt drifted narrowly wide. Nenagh continued to press for the score that their play so richly deserved, but were unfortunate to be caught out wide by a quick break by the Highfield winger who slipped two tackles to score the important first try for the Cork side, to leave the score at 8 points to nil. Both teams slugged it out for the remainder of the first half, with much of the game played around midfield, with Nenagh delivering tackle after tackle to keep the Cork boys at bay. Just when it looked like the Tipp team would go in trailing by just 8 eight points at half time, they were undone by some slick hands by the Highfield centre pairing, who sent their grateful winger in under the posts for a converted try to leave the score at 15 points to nil at half time.

Nenagh appeared in determined mood at the start of the second half, and with the wind at their backs, began to play the game deep in the Highfield half led from the front by the superb Damien Cahalan. Rory Whelan was introduced at this point, and with his back row teammates of Eddie Gleeson and Cahalan, began to drive the Highfield pack back on their heels in ruck and maul. With this renewed impetus, Nenagh managed to cross the Cork line on two occasions during this period, but were unable to ground the ball and get the score that their heart and passion so richly deserved. Any Highfield attacks during the half were quickly extinguished by tough tackling from John O’Dowd, Kevin Walsh, James Holland and Co. in the backline, and with Ritchie Nevin soaring highest in the lineout, and the front row of Kieran McCann, Adrian Lewis and Keith Purcell bossing the much heavier Highfield front three, it only seemed like a matter of time before the Tipp outfit would score. However, try as they might the score never came, and some tears were shed as the final whistle blew from the team who had fought so bravely and had brought such pride to the Nenagh colours.

This team can take great pride in reaching the Munster final, and although the result did not go their way on the day, much praise was heaped on the team by the Munster representative who named Eddie Gleeson as Man of the Match, and also by the Highfield captain who thanked Nenagh for their toughest test of the season. Some of the disappointment was lifted later in the week when a number of the 18’s went on to Win the Munster U-20 title against Dolphin of Cork in Lisatunny, and the team still have the opportunity to do the double this year as they are still involved in the East Munster Cup.

The team on the day for Nenagh was as follows;
Forwards – Kieran Mc Cann, Adrian Lewis, Padraig Maxwell, Kevin O’Gorman, Paidi Curtin, Andrew Kelly, Ritchie Nevin, Cathal Donovan, David Cleary, Damien Cahalan (Capt.) and Rory Whelan
Backs – Fergal Hayes, Sean Fogarty, Dean Wallace, John O’Dowd, Kevin Walsh, James Holland, Brian Dillon, Adam Wallace and Michael Long

The team will now contest the semi final of the East Munster Cup against Cashel RFC on Sunday 29th of March at 11am in Cashel, again the team and management would ask for as much support as possible from friends and family for these important matches. Training continues as normal in Tyone each Friday night at 7.30.

UNDER 16’s:
Nenagh Ormond – 10 Cashel – 15
Nenagh went down to a strong Cashel side in the U16 Cup Quarter Final on Sunday last.
Nenagh were short a number of players through injury, but those players who took to the field played with great heart and commitment.
Nenagh scored tries through Thomas McNamara and Cronan Gleeson, but it was the away side who came out winners in an entertaining contest.
The team can now look forward to the trip to Toulouse 25th April.
Training reverts to one night per week – Tuesdays at 7pm.
Nenagh 14 Galbally 15

Nenagh lost a closely contested u14 game away to a very strong Galbally side on Sunday.
Nenagh started slowly and conceded a converted try early in the game. From then to half
Time good interplay between forwards and backs yielded 2 tries to C Comerford both
converted by E Obrien. In the second half Galbally got a try and a penalty and Nenagh
upped their game but could not get the required score. However, there were good aspects
to the performance. Training continues on Wed and Friday at 7pm. All who want to play
to attend, new players always welcome. Remaining games in the league are at home.
Squad: C Wallace, C Murray, N Flood, J OFlaherty, B OFlaherty, G White, J Donovan,
D Fox, G OGorman, D Hassey, J Nolan, C Comerford, E OBrien, D Flannery,
B OConnor, PRyan, C Lucey, C Leo, K Buckley, A Hayes, G Hayes,

Seconds League

Nenagh Ormond
in Musgrave Park
on Sunday 29th March 2009
Kick-off 3pm
All support welcome and greatly appreciated


UL Bohemian RFC
Rugby Notes
Weekending 22nd Mar 2009
Denis Ryan

For the second time in three years UL Bohs have qualified for the Munster Junior Cup Final, and all members hope that the squad takes the extra step and annexes the trophy this season, to bridge the long gap since it last found a home in our club.
In the semi-final, played on Sunday in Dooradoyle, Tralee provided the opposition, and the UL Bohs mentors were only too aware that the Kerry side had embarrassed us a number of years ago when our hotly fancied squad was given a trouncing. On this occasion, there was to be no loss of focus and when David Moloney crossed for his inevitable try, duly converted by Fergal Lawler, to give UL Bohs a 7-3 lead at the break, the Limerick team always looked to be in command.
In the second half, Finbar Aherne crossed for another try, before a penalty try added to the tally. Fergal Lawler added the points on both occasions. Mark Butler finished the scoring with a monster drop goal from near halfway to leave the final result 24-3. We now await the winners of the Garryowen vs UCC game in the final.
In the U-20 play-offs UL Bohs had a comprehensive 35-0 win over Corinthians and now face Dungannon this Saturday in Annacotty at 2.30pm. As the only Limerick representatives in the quarter finals, UL Bohs will be hard pushed to retain the All Ireland title, but victory on Saturday is obviously crucial, so all support is needed.
The women’s’ team, despite missing the seven on international duty, qualified for the final of the All Ireland Cup with a hard fought 14-3 victory over Highfield in Cork. On Sunday the sides meet again, this time in the League and once more UL Bohs travel to Cork.
The 1st XV resume AIL duty on Saturday with a trip to Dublin to face UCD. While a play off place is still mathematically possible if all results work out, the more realistic objective is to maintain a position in the top 8 for next season. In this context, victory is essential and with all the other sides in the club making such progress in their competitions, the seniors have plenty of motivation to show leadership.
Well done to the Irish team on their Grand Slam victory in Wales. The country needed the lift, and with many from both squads in opposition in a few weeks time when Munster play Ospreys in the Heineken Cup, and with the same ref possibly in charge, Thomond Park promises to witness another major rugby event over Easter.



We now have only 3 senior games left this season and only 1 HOME Game left please come and help support our senior team.

All Mini rugby and youths rugby Players and Parents are invited to turn out for our last senior home game of the season versus Barnhall RFC on Saturday next 28/3/09. Free entry for all Well underage members and parents wearing Sundays Well colours There will be face painting and spot prizes for the best Banner supporting the Well as well as goody bags for mini rugby players, remember to practice the Well song to sing with our team when we win.

Click on this link to hear it.

Sundays Well Song:

Bless em all, Bless em all, Bless College and Dolphin and all Bless Constitution and Young Munster’s too Bless Limerick Bohs and the boys in light blue

And we’re saying good-bye to them all As back to their clubhouse they crawl They all got a sell as they met Sunday’s Well So here’s up em all, Bless em all.

So Now Dolphin had boasted that they’d win the cup We’ve heard all that before First we beat Munster’s and then Garryowen And when we beat Dolphin We were out on our own here’s up em all, Bless em all And we’re saying good-bye to them all As back to their clubhouse they crawl They all got a sell as they met Sunday’s Well So here’s up em all, Bless em all.

Last weekends Fixtures

Senior XVS No Game last week

J1s No Game last week

J2s No Game last week

Under 20s No Game last week

Under 18s No Game last week

Under 16s No Game last week

Under 14s Bandon Grammar 19 pts Sundays Well 22ptsA very good game in preparation for our cup tie next Saturday with a score line of 22 to 10 to the Well in a tough game. Some very nice tries were scored by Conor Malone, Luke Coughlan, Luke O’Leary and Olan Hanly with one try and one conversion. Match reports Ralph O Leary

Under 12s CBC Sundays Well

No match report received.

Under 11s CBC Sundays Well
Our under 11s turned up in Lansdowne C.B.Cs home ground expecting a good turnout from CBC and boy were we disappointed we had 35 players and they had only 12 so we had problems trying to get everybody on the pitch. But once we started playing we were a class above them playing good rugby with backs and forwards interacting well to play classy open rugby. Sam Dean again striving to combine two positions into one in a NEW position of Prop/Outhalf! With kicking from hand being allowed this season Luke (Hands) O Kelly has just discovered another place he can be offside and still play well. We played three games against them winning all three, despite some unusual refereeing decisions. Good games again were played by Ian Casey, Connor O Brien, Ritchie Cassidy, Shane Sexton, Tom Murphy, Evan Barrett and Cathal Fitzgerald in his first season continues to improve every week.
Match reports Brendan Keneally

Under 10s CBC Sundays Well
The u10s traveled to the heights of Cork City to take on the might of schools team, Christian Brothers College. Having again a massive turn out, it was a nice headache for the selectors to have to choose a starting 12 and even better still that all players had a reasonable run on the paddock. CBC had a player head and shoulders above everyone else (including the referee) and it was important for the Well to remember the lessons learnt against Bandon. Within 20 seconds of the start, the Well tore into Christians and a smashing tackle on the CBC giant set the tone for the day. Within another 60 seconds the Well had their first score. Several more scores followed but one try in the second half which went through at least 6 pairs of hands, each changing direction was the highlight of the day. The result finished at 10 – 1 in favor of the Well and, despite a below par CBC team, it was nonetheless a great performance. Match reports Tim Butler

Under 9s CBC Sundays Well

No match report Received

Club News.
Pre match Lunch
I have been asked to inform people attending the pre-match lunch on Saturday next that the guess the score competition will be a minimum of €10 per entry because it is our last home game of this season.

Lest we forget

1948 Grand Slam winning Team
In celebrating our national team’s magnificent Grand slam it must be remembered of Sunday’s Well contribution to the 1948 victory with our own Ernie Keeffe playing in the superb victory over France.

Ireland vs France at Stade Yves du Manoir, Colombes,

Paris on Thursday, 1 January 1948

It was Ireland’s first win over France since 1929. That did not stop the Irish from dropping the captain for this match, Ernie Strathdee of Queen’s University.

Scorers:For Ireland:
Tries: Reid, McCarthy, Mullan
Cons: Mullan 2

For France:
Tries: Guy Basquet, Robert Soro

Ireland: JAD Higgins: B O’Hanlon, WD McKee, PJ Reid, B Mullan; JW Kyle, E Strathdee (captain); JC Corcoran, KD Mullen, AA McConnell; CP Callan, Ernie Keeffe; JS McCarthy, JW McKay, RD Agar.

Lost and found

At the recent members and players dinner dance Fintan Whelan’s wife lost an eternity ring while there and asked would any one have found it. It was her mothers and has huge sentimental value; they were sitting at the table nearest the band on the right side of the hall.

s a reward Fintan has promised to throw at least one straight ball into the lineout this weekend.
Any info please contact either Fintan or myself please.

Engage with O2

And help your Club prosper.

IRFU/O2 Engage offers your club members the chance to give 5% of their annual O2 bill directly to your rugby club

For example, if a club member spends €50 each month on their line rental, calls and texts, O2 will take 5% of this and give your club a cheque for the overall amount at the end of the year, which is €30.

If 100 members in your club sign up to O2 Engage, this would raise €3,000 for your club.

With O2 Engage, you can give 5% of your O2 bill to an IRFU-affiliated rugby club.

And since O2 makes the contribution it will not cost you a cent.

It doesn’t matter if you’re a player or supporter. O2 Engage is open to everyone who wants to get behind Irish rugby.

Please have a look at this link and sign up if you can.


Something for the Ladies
There are Ladies health and fitness classes every week on Tuesday evenings from 7pm to 8pm in the club hall. There are limited places available.

Please contact Fiona on mobile at 0879228600 or check out our web site.

Lotto News

The Lotto is up and running but will still take members. Anybody who wants to be included needs to contact Philip Collins ASAP.
philipmcollins@hotmail.com 086 8520075


I suppose there’s no better way to begin this week’s notes than to Basque in the collective glory of our national side’s historic weekend and specifically to congratulate the entire squad and management for their grand slam achievement. The fact that Shannon rugby club was more than adequately represented should be an enormous source of pride for everyone in the club. Peter Stringer, Marcus Horan, Jerry Flannery, and although no longer an official Shannon player, John Hayes will all go down in the history books and the pride we have in those giants of rugby can never be underestimated . It was also great to see Alan Quinlan on the podium after his fantastic years of services to the green jersey. Although Alan didn’t have a direct role on the day, he perhaps represented the heroes of days gone by, who through no lack of effort, failed to reach the dizzy heights of Grand Slams.

Credit must go to Declan Kidney for ensuring that the entire rugby community in the country shares in the triumphant weekend and it’s encouraging to see the national coach take cognisance of the role we all play in the development of players. Congratulations to everyone involved and let’s hope it’s only the beginning of things to come.

Our U/20’s couldn’t have picked a better weekend to organise a tour to Wales and despite being beaten in their tour match, everyone that travelled had a very enjoyable weekend.

Closer to home the senior side took on Bruff in a challenge game and had a comfortable win. As usual with most of our challenge games results have little bearing on the desired goal and several of the fringe players had a chance to impress heading into the latter stages of the league. A dangerous and needless incident in our loss to Cork Con resulted in a severe injury to our club captain Fiach O’Loughlin which will probably see him miss out on the remainder of the season. It’s a cruel blow to Fiach who as we all know wears his heart on his sleeve while playing and inspires those around him. With his brother, and replacement scrum half Ross settling into life in the Middle East, we are fortunate to be able to call upon the services of the once retired Frankie Mc Namara. It’s the sign of a great clubman who under very difficult circumstances allows himself to be thrust back into top class club rugby and thankfully, the vastly experienced Frankie is one of those. After coming through the full eighty minutes against Bruff he is more than ready for Saturday’s crucial AIB league game against Old Belvedere in Coonagh. Results elsewhere last Saturday saw us drop down to fifth place, albeit on points difference so the consequences of losing on Saturday are fairly plain to see. While we are extremely close to decisively achieving our primary goal this season, making the top 8, I know that the lads feel aggrieved at the loss to Cork Con and to a man want to make amends this Saturday. Kick off in Coonagh is at 2.30.

The thirds bowed out of the Mc Inerney cup with a defeat to Bruff while the second’s game with Highfield was rescheduled for this Sunday in Coonagh at 3pm.

Our ladies took on a powerful Young Munster side in the All Ireland plate semi final last Sunday and despite the early tight exchanges we proved fitter and more organised as the game went on and eventually won by 11-0. It’s a testament to the ladies determination and self belief that they now find themselves in an All Ireland final, a notion that may have seemed somewhat fanciful at the start of the year. Laura O’Shea was in exceptional form on Sunday and it was her superb break through the defence that yielded our try. Linda Tracy added two penalties, and with pretty much full dominance all over the park the ladies were more than comfortable winners. It’s now onto Portlaois next Saturday for a showdown with Malahide RFC at 2.30

Our U/16 boys and girls team jointly hosted a visiting Canadian club last Friday and it proved an enormous success with the visitors enjoying the hospitality both on and off the field.

This weekend sees a number of underage fixtures take place with the U/18’s top billing with a top of the table clash with Ennis. The neutrality of St Senans ground in Shannon hosts the game which has a 12.15 start. The U/11’s host blitz in Coonagh while on Saturday Old Belvedere U/10s travel to take on our boys in LIT prior to the AIB league game.

The Presidents night is almost full to capacity with very few places available. It’s a question of first come first serve at this stage and Gerry Ryan takes final bookings this Saturday.

Finally, tickets are available to club members for next Saturdays Munster V Leinster clash in Thomond Park and anyone wishing to obtain one would be advised to contact Tadhg Crowe ASAP.


DFP – Right Column – HalfPage


DFP – Right Column – MPU

Related News

Munster Rugby can confirm that Antoine Frisch will depart for Toulon in the summer after two years at the province. Antoine has been a fantastic...