DFP Header Area

Share this MunsterRugby.ie page

Club News w/c 11/4

15th April 2009 By Munster Rugby

Club News w/c 11/4

Club News from last weekend


The first XV managed to keep their playoff hopes very much alive with this win over Clon as Old Crescent lost their game at home to Highfield over the weekend. The return of Eugene Murnane to Bruff for the first time in the AIL would add a little edge as they needed some points to be 100% guaranteed safe for the season.
Clon were fist on the board after the 9th. minute courtesy of break by centre Dave Lombard who passed to his Winger O’ Sullivan to run in from 20 meters. Garry Cribb adding the extras. 7 minutes later Bruff full back Paul O’Brien replied after a sweet chip over the Clonakilty defence, collecting an even sweeter bounce to get in under the posts. Brian Cahill added the points and then put Bruff ahead for the first time on the 28th. minute with a penalty. 10-7. Just on half time Clonakilty scored another try courtesy of a Derek Dillon break, skipping past a couple of tackles before releasing flanker Len Harte to score beside the posts. Dave Lombard added the points to give the visitors a 14-10 half time lead.
The second half began ominously with Clonakilty scoring first, with a second Lombard kick going in off the post after just four minutes. 17-10. Now trailing by seven points, the home side sensed that any hopes of reaching the play offs were rapidly fading and upped the tempo noticeably. A back movement saw out-half Brian Cahill make very good progress and he released Andrew Cashman with some work to do but managing to round some despairing Clonakilty defenders to score his first League try for the club. Cahill’s conversion attempt clipped the post but went wide. 17-15.
Dave Lombard added his second penalty on the 63rd. minute to push his side back into a five point lead and leaving the home side with a lot of work to do in the final quarter. 20-15. Bruff were now forced to chase the game but they upped another gear and were rewarded ten minutes later when after going through a large number of phases, Cathal O’ Regan eventually got in near the corner for his side’s third try, fulfilling his Captains duties. Brian Cahill missed a difficult conversion but two minutes later put over what turned out to be the winning penalty.
Both sides can consider the day as a good day out, Bruff keeping their playoff hopes alive, everything going down to the last day as usual and Clonakilty coupled with other results on the day are well safe for the season after their losing bonus point.
BRUFF; Paul O’Brien, Finbarr Hogan, Andrew Cashman, John Malone, John Moore, Brian Cahill, Eoghan Maher, David Horan, Cathal O’Regan (Capt.), Stephen Foster, Maurice O’Connell, Alfie Laffan, Paddy Cleary, Ger. Luby and Peter Malone.
Replacements: Mossie O’Donnell for Luby (13), Dermot Murnane for Cleary (HT), John Carroll for Hogan (61) Gearóid Ryan for Horan (66) and David Horan for Foster (80).Garry Leonard.
This weekend of course sees the last game of the Standard Season with the trip away to Greystones in county Wicklow. Kick off at 2:30pm on Saturday. Buses by the usual route. Keep an eye on the website for fixtures and updates this week as with the bank holiday things are thrown out of synch by a day and I don’t have any fixtures to hand at the time of writing.


Rugby Notes
Easter 2009
Denis Ryan

During the past season, writing these notes has sometimes proved difficult following a particularly disappointing result, but this Easter the problem is the other extreme. With so much good news, the question is where to start.
Having waited since 1932, one would hardly begrudge the Seconds their moment of glory, and having a renowned side such as Garryowen as opponents in the Munster Junior Cup Final made the victory by 19-16 all the sweeter. These two sides met at this stage two seasons ago, when the Dooradoyle team ran out narrow victors, and this time the game was just as close. It took a Fergal Lawler drop goal in the last second of the game to decide this extremely tight contest which had been transferred from Rosbrien at a late stage. UL Bohs won the toss for the replacement venue so the expected crowds had to be advised. Well done to Sean Ryan, Dave Hyland, Adrian O’Sullivan and the wonders of modern technology for getting the communications right and ensuring a superb attendance at a brilliant game. Heavy rain at times threatened to spoil the occasion, but this was a classic battle fought between two totally committed sides. Garryowen drew first blood with a converted try, but UL Bohs replied with a touchdown by Kevin Bracken, converted by Aidan McNulty. A Garryowen penalty saw them lead by 10-7 at the break, UL Bohs having failed with an effort which fell just short. The second half was played with similar intensity, each side getting kicks which saw the scored tied 16-16 as time ran out. Then Fergal Lawler wrote his name in the UL Bohs history book with a superbly taken drop goal which proved a double winner as it won both the Munster Junior Cup and the Transfield Cup. Well done to the entire squad, management and coaches. Full report and pictures on http://www.ulbohs.com/.
The U-20s travelled to Tullamore on Saturday with the difficult task of beating Blackrock in order to retain the Frazer McMullan All Ireland Cup. This UL Bohs squad, although largely ignored by the international selectors, is highly talented and, duly motivated, brought the trophy back to Limerick with a 16-13 victory over a very strong Dublin squad. Once again Harry de Stackpoole, who had scored a brace in the victory over UCD in the semis, put the finishing touches to a great display when diving over beside the posts for the decisive score late in the game. Daragh Frawley converted, as he had done with the other important kicks during the game. This was a great comeback by the side who were behind 6-0 at the break, and 13-9 in arrears with five minutes to go. Congrats to all involved with this very talented squad.
Normally an AIL game against neighbours Shannon would take pride of place in any report, but this time the Firsts have to stand in line and acknowledge the great work of the other teams. A few games ago, a top 4 spot still appeared possible, but on Saturday the principal objective was to cement a position in the top 8 for next season. This was duly accomplished, but not before the usual nerve-wracking climax. Mark Butler kicked two first half penalties to give the home side a 6-0 wind assisted advantage. However, Shannon pulled ahead with two tries, one converted. With time running out, UL Bohs hung on grimly for the losing bonus, and breathed a sigh of relief when a late Shannon penalty just dropped short. The last game against Blackrock is now largely academic, but the squad will want to finish on a high, and with so many players coming through from the Seconds and U-20s, no ones place is safe so we will expect a fully committed performance.
The 3rd XV advanced to the final of the O’Carroll Plate with a 27-15 win over Galbally in Annacotty. Games against the visitors are never easy, but this time Luke Holmes decided to show his class and touched down for three great tries which proved the difference at the end of hostilities. The reward is that we now meet Thomond in the final. It is time the 3rds collected some silverware, and it looks like this is the time to do it.
The U-11s brought off a famous victory also, in the Frankie Flynn Tournament which was held in Coonagh. Details on website.
Well done to Munster on yet another great victory, and wonderful displays by Paul Warwick and Barry Murphy. The example shown by these and other Munster players is making the game even more popular.

Nenagh Ormond RFC Notes for Weekend 11th / 12th / 13th

Senior XV
Banbridge 20 – Nenagh Ormond 13

Nenagh Ormond Senior squad travelled to Banbridge for their last away game of the season and came away at the wrong end of a 20 – 13 scoreline. Their next game is at home to Portadown on Saturday next 18th April and as this is the final game of the season so all support will be greatly appreciated and welcome.

Under 13s win East Munster Cup
Easter Weekend: Semi Final and Final wins for Nenagh Ormond

U13 Ea st MunsterCup Semi final
Nenagh Ormond 10 – Dugarvan – 7

Nenagh contested the semi final of the East Munster cup in Clonmel on Good Friday. Having already had good wins in the lead up over Cashel, Thurles and Ul Bohs, confidence was high going into the semi. Dungarvan travelled with a very big and well drilled squad. From the off the Waterford side put early pressure on the Nenagh Defence & used their big players to run the ball. The lads stood up well until a lapse in concentration let Dungarvan run in for try under the post ten minutes before half time. Nenagh were happy to go in at the break just 7 points down.
Straight from the restart, Ormond realised the game could slip from them unless they got an early score, and after some good pick and drives form the forwards Denis Flannery and Ethan Moloney, Darragh Hassey passed the ball to Aaron Hayes who scored a well deserved try in the corner, followed by a great conversion kicked by Killian Gleeson from the same spot.
Nenagh Camped in the Dungarvan half from then on and were unlucky not to get in for another score, due to stout defence from Dungarvan. Nenagh had the last say deep within injury time when a penalty 22 metres out on the touch line, was slotted over by Killian Gleeson to great celebration to put Nenagh in the Final. A Special mention for some great play on the day by Donnacha Quinn, Killian Gleeson, Ethan Moloney, John Flaherty, Peter Ryan and Denis Flannery. 100% effort was shown by all team members and well done to all.

U13 East Munster Cup Final
Nenagh Ormond 10 – Cashel – 7
The under 13s brought home the Cup after a tremendous weekend of wins! Easter Monday saw Nenagh contest the East Munster Final against Cashel in Thurles. This match was another display of some fine rugby by our under 13s, showing their ability and passion to work together as a team.

With a slow start from Nenagh, allowing Cashel to run in a try and convert on the 10th minute, Nenagh had to pull themselves together quickly. And for the remainder of the 1st half saw both sides attack but neither side able to penetrate the defence. Nenagh went in at half time 7- 0 down.
With the aid of the breeze in the 2nd half, Nenagh dominated from the off. The forwards starting working together as a unit and with some good pick and drives set up good ball for the backs allowing them to utilise the space out wide resulting in a fine try in the corner by David Fox. Nenagh’s tails were up at this stage and it was only a matter of time before Nenagh breached the Cashel line again after some great teamwork resulting in Donnacha Quinn running in a try in the corner. From here on Nenagh pulled down the Shutters and never allowed Cashel back into the game. Final result Nenagh 10 Cashel 7

Under 13 is a very important age as it can be a transitional stage from minis to youths and frequently, if not monitored, can result in some potentially good players slipping through the net. So, well done to all the Under 13s who have trained and played with NORFC all Season and winning this Trophy is exactly what they deserve.

Squad: J.Knight, G.White,D.Fox, K.Gleeson. A.Hayes, D.Hassey, G.Hayes, J.Healy, D.Flannery, D.Quinn, T.Gleeson, P.Ryan, J O’ Flaherty, G O’Gorman, E.Moloney, B O’Flaherty, J.Hayes, T.Hennessy


Nenagh Ladies 19 – Galbally Ladies 0

The Nenagh Ladies hosted Galbally last Friday evening in a friendly match in preparation for their League semi-final next week. Nenagh took a while to settle into the game having not played a match for several weeks. Once they found their feet, the Nenagh set-piece worked well and the first try came from a scrum inside the opposition 22. Genevieve Rowland picked an excellent line to break through the defence and still with work to do, side stepped the full back to run in under the posts. She converted the try herself to add on the 2 points.
Nenagh looked rusty at times and conceded possession through several handling errors. However their defensive line was solid and they held firm against a strong and powerful Galbally pack. Nenagh’s second try came after sustained pressure inside the Galbally 22 forced them to kick to clear their line. Winger Denise Williams covered back well and began an excellent counter attack. Nenagh re-aligned quickly and from quick ruck ball, centre Sandra Williams broke two tackles then used her pace to run in and touch down.
The final score came near the end of the match when both teams looked to have tired and the game got a bit scrappy. Nenagh spread the ball wide but looked to be turned over. Good cover from Paula Ryan and Genevieve Rowland allowed Nenagh to retain possession. Rowland spotted a broken Galbally line with their forwards stuck out wide and using her speed ran wide to round the defence and score her second try.
The Nenagh girls were delighted to have a match to sharpen up before the semi-final next week. The back row worked well together and turned over several balls, out-half Genevieve Rowland gave an excellent display of tactical kicking and scrum half Jennifer Carter was ever present, turning over ball and tackling in defence as well as exploiting gaps around the fringes in attack.
Team: Laura Nugent, Mary Tuidraki, Kyla Maxwell, Sandra Williams, Denise Williams, Genevieve Rowland, Jennifer Carter, Annemarie Duke, Louise Roberts, Bob Ryan, Aisling O’Neill, Lisa Cleary, Eithne Darcy, June Whelan and Maeve Darcy. Subs: Paula Ryan, Elaine Healy, Niamh Hogan.
The girls face Ulster team City of Derry at home next Sunday in the Division 2 All-Ireland League semi-final.

Official ‘Turning On’ of the Lights in New Ormond Park
Tuesday 21st April 2009
Munster ‘A’ v Russia ‘A’
Kick-off 7pm


Saturday 18th April 2009

Semi Final ‘A’ Cup: Kinsale U16’s v Highfield in Snugmore Kick Off @ 11.30



Tralee International Rugby Festival

Friday 17th and Saturday 18th April

Full Day Events for U11, U12, U13, U14



Club Notes, 14 April 2009

Our First Team completed their AIL home fixture list this season with a disappointing result against Highfield in Rosbrien last Saturday. Hopes were high for a final home win but it was not to be.

Ten minutes into the game, after a period of sustained pressure which Crescent withstood initially, Highfield scored a well worked try which they converted. Midway through the first half, Crescent were awarded a penalty which Brian O’Shea converted. Five minutes later, we were awarded another penalty , which Brian again converted, to bring us to within one point of Highfield.

Coming up to half time, Highfield got a decisive try out wide which they failed to convert. In the last kick of the first half, Brian O’Shea kicked a penalty to bring the half time score to Old Crescent 9 Highfield 12.

Hoping for a spirited comeback, the home support got behind our team in the second half. Unfortunately, it proved to be a dour affair with Old Crescent playing too much rugby deep in our own half. With the scores so close, there was always a chance that Crescent could sneak a win even though we were playing poorly, but Highfield, in the bottom half of the league, appeared to want the win more than we did. Two converted penalties were exchanged late in the second half, the only scores in the half, to bring the full time score to Old Crescent 12 Highfield 15. A win for Highfield which cemented their position in the AIL Second Division, and left us holding on a top four place by just two points from Bruff.

Next weekend, our First team make the long journey north to play Malone RFC in Belfast at 2.30pm on Saturday, in our final AIL game of the season. We wish our First team the best of luck in this important fixture. In spite of some lost form in the last two games, our First team squad have done us proud this season in achieving our highest finish in the League for many years – a long way from where we were this time last year.

Our Under 20’s play UL Bohemians at 6.45pm next Tuesday, 21 April, at home in Rosbrien.

In Under Age news, our Under 14’s lost out their league final to Shannon in Coonagh by 15 points to 6, our points being two penalty converts by Eoin Walsh.

Upcoming under age fixtures include two home and away mid week fixtures against Thomond. Our Under 18’s play Thomond in Fitzgerald Park at 6.45pm on Wednesday, 15 April, and our Under 15’s play Thomond at home in Rosbrien at 7.00pm on Thursday, 16 April. Under 14’s play Young Munster in Rosbrien next Sunday at 11.30am.

Finally, another reminder that Old Crescent is running a major fundraising Race Night in the Clubhouse on Saturday, 25th April. We appeal to all members and supporters to come out and support this event and round off the season in style. Further details on our Race Night can be obtained from Anthony O’Dwyer on 087 2214140.

And last but not least, we send our congratulations to Munster on their magnificent win against the Ospreys on Easter Sunday.

Hot on the heels of last weekend’s trophy extravaganza, our U/14’s produced the performance of the week when their skilful, determined and classy display won them they league title over an equally skilful Old Crescent side in Coonagh last Friday evening. Maturity and patience beyond their years was the key, and the obvious influence of their excellent coaches bore their just rewards. They trailed Old Crescent by 6 nil at half time, albeit with a stiff breeze in their faces, but as soon as the second half whistle blew they unleashed a devastating 30 minutes of rugby to which Crescent simply had no answer despite a battling effort. Out half Ronan McKenna led the troops brilliantly, but it was the power of No.8 Jack Dineen that proved the biggest difference. Two rampaging tries left the result beyond question and a thoroughly deserved victory ensued. A hearty congratulations to all involved.
Looking comfortable and actually winning comfortably are two completely different matters, demonstrated in our AIB league game against UL/Bohs last Saturday. While we never really feared losing as the game progressed, the threat of the home side snatching a late victory was never far from our minds. Failure to capitalise on our dominant facets might well have cost us our season, but despite a late flurry which increased the slightly fluttering heartbeats by UL/Bohs, the final score of 12 -6 was not quite as unconvincing as it sounds. A losing bonus point for the Red Robins secured their top eight spot and a more than successful season for the club in general , while our win sees the clamour for the top four spots reach a highly undesirable nail biting crescendo next Saturday. It’s been said more than once in this column that never has the league been as tight and who realistically would have predicated the tension would continue right up to the final whistle of the final league game. Great for the neutrals, but not so desirable for the die hards. Seven into four just won’t go and the most likely scenario is that point’s difference will eventually eliminate three of the contenders. The positive from our point of view, and make no mistake, it is a huge positive, is that is were we handed such a scenario after the first game drubbing by Blackrock; we would have less than graciously bitten off the proverbial hand. We have remember, been in a similar situation two seasons ago. Dolphin came to Coonagh looking to stay up; we needed a bonus point win and results to go right for us for a top four. We done what was more or less required, but we didn’t figure on some sides capitulating to such an extent that a mere 3 scoring points denied us. It’s still rankles a little, even after the elapsed time and reminders of events past will no doubt play a small role in the build up. Dolphin however come to Coonagh this time with a different agenda, and they too share the same ambition after proving their worthiness to be at this stage with some super results over the season. Winner takes all may well be a bit too dramatic and not quite correct but for the losers, the season is almost assured to be over. Such thoughts allied to memories of a desolate dressing room two seasons ago will be more than enough motivation for our lads, but for that little bit extra, I urge everyone associated with the club, past and present to make their presence felt in Coonagh at 2.30 on Saturday.
The thirds travelled to Cork to play UCC in the Munster league quarter final and although they battled bravely especially in the first half, the students proved just agile and pulled away as the game progressed. The thirds now have the Webb Cup to concentrate on and hopefully they will get some reward for their season’s efforts.
Coonagh hosted an Easter U/11 tournament which proved a huge success thanks to the monumental efforts of our youth Officer Anthony Murphy and his subcommittee. It was a full pitch tournament with eight clubs competing which is great preparation for the young lads next season and although we Shannon didn’t claim a trophy the lads played excellently throughout and lost out in the plate final to Garryowen. The overall winners were UL/Bohs.
Visiting sides are coming thick and fast and a team from the Toulouse region played a combination of our 13’s and14’s last Wednesday and were treated royally by the underage committee and will no doubt leave Ireland with some very fond memories of their meeting with Shannon. This Sunday another visiting team from England, Old Albanians play our U/14’s and 15’s in Coonagh. Congratulations to Like O’Dea who has been called into the Irish U/19 squad for a tournament, another milestone on a promising career.
The buzz and atmosphere around Thomond Park last Sunday brilliant and was obviously accentuated by the emphatic nature of the Munster’s marvellous win. It was a great source of pride for Shannon to have almost a third of the squad filled with Club players. Jerry, Marcus, Quinny, and Ian Dowling started the game with Peter Stringer, Mushy and Niall Ronan all making their impact felt coming off the bench. It’s a again a great indication of the contribution of Shannon and indeed the other clubs to the success of Irish rugby and something which we hope won’t be forgotten. The winner of our club raffle for two tickets to the game was won by John O’Dwyer who enjoyed the superb pre match hospitality and our guest speaker, Shannon RFC Honorary life member, Sean Kelly.
Finally the Annual General meeting will take place in the clubhouse on Tuesday May 19th in the clubhouse and any notice of motions or nominations must be with the club secretary two weeks prior to the date.(May 5th)


If you can get to get to Dublin this Saturday by Planes, Trains or Automobiles,

Please make it out to Old Wesley RFC and Support our Senior Team.

Last weekends Fixtures

Senior XVS Suttonians 19 Sundays Well 3

There was disappointment for the ‘Well in the lovely seaside village of Sutton as they were defeated by the home side. The side will now have to pull out all the stops against Old Welsey in their final match next Saturday to have any chance in avoiding a playoff. The game was very even for long periods with little scoring opportunities for both sides. Michael Moynihan and Shane Walsh once again scrummaged strongly against more experienced opponents while Alan Hickey and John Quill were making plenty of big hits and turning the ball over at the break-down. The vital break-through went Suttonians way just before half-time with a try from close in by the winger who cut in from a five meter scrum.

The ‘Well regrouped after the turnaround with a big push and a penalty by Chris Burnett put them right back in the match. They were pressing on the hosts try line but were unable to make the final couple of meters. A counter attack by the Dublin side led by the brother of an All Black; Pape Nonu effectively killed off any hopes the ‘Well had of victory. The side will be regrouping for next week’s big task. They won’t be fazed by Wesley’s lofty position in the table as the team will feel that they could have got results against the other top six sides. With a bit of luck and hopefully a vocal travelling support they can hopefully finish the season with a victory. .Come on the WELL
Match Report "A Well Man"

J2s Cork Con 25 Sundays Well 14

The Thirds ’08/’09 season ended on Good Friday with a loss to Con in Temple Hill 14-25 in the CUP. The score wasn’t a true reflection of the game with the ‘Well pack bullying the home side for long periods of the game. To be fair the home side took their chances with 2 early break away tries in the first half which left the ‘Well chasing the game from the off. Persistent penalties by the home side resulted in a binning of one of the Con players during which period James Powell scored the ‘Wells opening try. The binning, however, did not stop the cynical professional fouls by the home side which continued for the whole of the game and deserved more cards from the referee.
The ‘Well line out was superb all year never clicked and under pressure from a big Con pack in the scrum were outstanding in the loose. With 20 minutes to go the ‘Well trailed by a score after a try (Joe O’Donovan)and conversion by Kenny Barry. However this was the last score for the visitors with Con again touching down. There were a number of missed opportunities had they being taken could have resulted in a different outcome which has been a theme of disappointing season as regards silverware but a very encouraging season as far as the step up to J2 level. The question needs to be asked "How far could this team go if it trained?"
For the coming ’09/’10 season the Branch and the Club are in talks with Darcy to remain. Hayser says he has years left in him while Hennesey has still got a full 62 minutes in him before he gets cranky. There are also talks of a few old heads returning. So all in all experience won’t be an issue next year but we are still looking for a few young fellas to keep it going. So keep your eyes peeled for any nimble, 90+ kilo players who enjoy a social drink over the summer. Remember we can teach them how to play rugby but they need to put in the hard drinking themselves.
Match Report "A Well Man"

Under 18s Sundays Well 8pts Highfield 22

The U18 ended their season in the semi-final of the U18 Cup last friday in Musgrave Park. The Well started strongly with a try from Neil O’Connell to leave the score 5-0, however just before half time, Highfield got a try making the game 5-5 at half time and game very much on. However, the second hlf started with the heavier and more physical Highfield pack beginning to dominate the game. Highfield scored another try through the forwards and when they got a third try from an intercept ball, the game was over. The Well can hold their head up high after putting in a great season, and only for such a strong Highfield side this year, we would of surely have won some honours. Away Da Well
Match Report "Alec Rose


DFP – Right Column – HalfPage


DFP – Right Column – MPU

Related News

The Munster squad are continuing preparations at the HPC ahead of Saturday’s URC Round 18 clash against Ulster at Thomond Park. Kick-off is at 5.15pm...