DFP Header Area

Share this MunsterRugby.ie page

Club News: Week Ending 28.12.14

23rd December 2014 By Munster Rugby

Club News: Week Ending 28.12.14

The last Club News of 2014 comes from Kilfeacle, Newcastle West and Thurles.

The last Club News of 2014 comes from Kilfeacle, Newcastle West and Thurles.

Munster Rugby would like to thank to all of the clubs who have contributed to the Club News throughout 2014 and we look forward to hearing from you in 2015.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all of our clubs!

If you would like to see your club on the Munster Rugby website, please send on any club news, upcoming events, match reports or photos to seangeary@munsterrugby.ie.

Click here for Kilfeacle RFC News.

Click here for Newcastle West RFC News.

Click here for Thurles RFC News.

Kilfeacle RFC News

Courtesy of:- Jamie Keaty, Club PRO

Last Saturday saw Clonmel RFC host Kilfeacle RFC for the second time this season. On this occasion it was the semi final of the Munster Junior Challenge Cup. Conditions really suited open rugby with good under foot conditions. Unlike the previous encounter between these two teams, Kilfeacle had a full strength squad to choose from and were adamant to learn from their mistakes. This was evident on the field as the Away team dominated the first 15 minutes.

The pressure enforced on the Clonmel pack resulted in a sin – binning and a penalty try being awarded for repeated offences of collapsing scrums. Darren Lowry converted to leave the scoreline 7-0. Clonmel reacted well however and converted a penalty after 22 minutes. The remainder of the first half saw a real arm – wrestle between the two sides with nothing changing on the scoreboard.

It was seven minutes into the second half before Conor Cooney converted his second penalty of the day as Kilfeacle were dubiously penalised for going off their feet at ruck time.It was two minutes later we saw the Away team being penalised for a similar offence, ensuring Clonmel took the lead for the first time in the game. Cooney and Lowry exchanged a penalty each shortly afterwards but with only two minutes left on the clock, the Clonmel man kicked, what seemed to be the final nail in the Kilfeacle coffin, by putting giving the hometeam a five point lead. The heart shown throughout the game by the Kilfeacle team meant that none of the spectators were leaving until the final whistle was blown. And with the referee calling "Last Play", the Kilfeacle pack gave the backline superb clean ball from a scrum which allowed the play be flashed wide with Pat Ryan scoring in the corner. To the disappointment of the Away supporters, Lowry missed the conversion to give Kilfeacle the win.

It was a fantastic result for the neutrals however, as it meant the game was going to be extended into extra time. The hometeam benefitted immediately as they were allowed begin extra time with a full strength fifteen, after their hooker was sin – binned for cynical play at the end of normal time. Clonmel took advantage of this and proceeded to earn a penalty after ten minutes which was converted by Conor Cooney.

The second half of extra time saw Kilfeacle put every shoulder to the wheel to get a crucial score but their enthusiastic endeavours were punished by a Clonmel break which enabled them to score a try in the corner. All in all it was a great game and a game that both teams should benefit from going into the second half of the season. Outstanding performers on the day were Simon Barry, Steven Flood, Cormac O' Donoghue and Keith Bourke. A similar effort from players, coaches and supporters will be requires against Galbally next Sunday.

Newcastle West RFC

Courtesy of:- Tim Mulcahy, Fixtures Secretary

Victory In Transfield Cup Final: Newcastle West 32 Shannon 8
Christmas arrived early for the club when the 1st XV secured the Transfield Cup with an emphatic performance. On a breezy afternoon in Cullinagh and a huge crowd in attendance all was set for a competition that is one of the oldest in Munster rugby.

The home side took control from the off and showed that they would not give any respect to a Shannon side containing a number of AIL players and two players with Munster academy contracts. The first scrum set the tone with the pack getting the drive on and winning good quality ball. The first score came in the tenth minute when the forwards pounded the Shannon pack with all players picking and driving, James Corbett was appearing everywhere at this stage and Dave Foley was by his side tracking the ball and putting in huge hit. Held up twice just short of the line it was a crisp pass from Sean Herlihy that put Stephen Kelly in at the corner to finish off the work by the forwards.

It was all Newcastle West at this stage Shannon were not being allowed to play and with great control by a back line who made all first up tackles and were inspiring confidence by going forward with ball in hand or by great kicking. Shannon conceded a penalty on seventeen minutes for going off side and Sean scored from near the touchline.

Twenty minutes in and a great kick by Conor Whelan placed the home side on the Shannon ten metre line, Gary O Donnell stole the line out and the forwards started to drive reaching the twenty two and a break by Declan Moloney saw the Shannon defence split open and he coasted over to touch down under the post which Sean converted to leave the half time score 15-3.

The second half saw Shannon come more into the game and they were trying to spread the ball wide at any available opportunity but the defensive line of Sean, Conor, Sean Neville, John BB Sheehan, The Kelly brothers and Tommy K were making all the key hits in the right area of the field.

A mistake by the Shannon twelve forced by pressure from the rampant James Corbett and a five metre scrum was awarded, the home side drove the Shannon pack over the line and they conceded a penalty try, which Sean again converted. Shannon was rewarded for there never say die attitude when they got an unconverted try in the seventieth minute.

Sean converted a super kick from the halfway line in the seventy fourth minute and this was a great call by the captain to continue to widen the gap rather than going for touch.

With the game entering the last stages and Shannon again trying to run the ball at all costs, Stephen Kelly intercepted on the halfway and scored his second try under the posts, Sean converted .That was to be the final action of another fantastic win in a cup we have now won twice in three seasons.

To pick out one player for man of the match would be very difficult, but having reviewed the video the contribution by John Sheehan, Conor Whelan, Dave Foley, James Corbett and Stephen Kelly was exceptional.

All twenty two who took to the field can be proud of their efforts so this week it is the squad who receive the accolades.

Scores; Stephen Kelly 2 Tries, Declan Moloney Try, Sean Herlihy 3 conversions and 2 penalties, Penalty Try
Newcastle West: Tom Kelleher ,Stephen Kelly, John Sheehan , Shaun Berkery , James Kelly, Conor Whelan ,Sean Herlihy, Sean Corbett, Declan Moloney, Dave Foley ,Sean Leahy, Richard Langford , Gary O Donnell , Shane Magner, Trevor Sexton, Murley Sheehan, Mike McMahon, Sean Neville, Brian O Doherty,Mikey Berkery, Rossa Dooley,Alan O Riordan

Thurles RFC News

Courtesy of:- Brian Scanlon, Club PRO

Thurles U-16s played Clanwilliam in a friendly last Sunday in Thurles and it was a chance for the fringe players to prove themselves.

The match was played in great spirit giving the referee little to do. The clan no 8 who was man of the match scored two great individual tries and was stopped from running the length of the pitch by a last gasp hand trip by Seamus Holohan who was man of the match for Thurles.

There were good performances by some of the younger players namely Paddy mc Grath at out half , Dylan o Shaughnessy in the center who was unlucky not to score a try under the posts when he slipped after beating the full back.

Also Ciaran Murphy who worked hard all day in the pack and earned a bloody nose for his trouble. It was a very enjoyable game for everyone involved and finished with Thurles awarded a penalty which if kicked would have won the game for Thurles.

The ball just dropped short and it was Clanwilliam that won the game by 2 points. Thurles 24 Clanwilliam 26. Merry Christmas to all from Thurles Rugby


DFP – Right Column – HalfPage


DFP – Right Column – MPU

Related News

Munster Rugby are now inviting applications for two part-time Women’s Rugby Participation Officers. See full details and apply below. The province is also recruiting for...