DFP Header Area

Share this MunsterRugby.ie page

Waterford City Club Notes

19th August 2013 By Munster Rugby

Waterford City Club Notes

This week’s club notes come from Waterford City RFC.

Courtesy of Damien Kennedy, Waterford City PRO

Last Saturday Waterford City RFC held a 4 team tournament between ourselves, Kilfeacle RFC , Gorey RFC and Portarlington RFC,conditions were perfect for good running rugby and that's exactly what was delivered.

City V Gorey

Waterford came out of the blocks quickly in their 1st game and some early dominance from the pack and good game management from half backs Fintin Purcell and Sean Stafford allowed for a solid platform .City were dominating in the scrum and Simon O'Hara marked his return in a City jersey with a try off a pushover scrum. City extended their lead with a penalty 5mins later to take it to 10-0. The 2nd half began with Gorey starting to put pressure on but City’s defense held firm with some big hits from Nicky Jacob and Michael Costello prevented Gorey from registering a score with City winning their 1st game.

City V Portarlington

Portarlington and City played out a tight 1st half with the slight wind behind Waterford and some clever kicking by Conor Power allowing the game to be played mostly in the Portarlington 22,a loose kick by the outhalf was fielded by winger Ben Walshe who moved the ball quickly to fullback Darren Walsh who slotted over a long range drop goal to put City ahead 3-0.A good turnover by prop Ben Duggan at the breakdown just before half time relieved heavy pressure .The 2nd half saw Portarlington up the level of physicality and their dominance in the scrum saw them gain more penalties and they began to work their way into City territory. Some poor tackling saw Portarlington register their 1st try which they easily converted. Waterford rallied and two fantastic breaks by flankers Sean O'Mahoney and Cian Foskin brought play deep into our opponents half and Aidan O'Neill dragged two defenders over the line with him to touch down in the corner .The conversion was missed which left the score at 8-7. Portarlington piled on the pressure and a penalty at the scrum again on the final play saw their out half slot it over to leave the score 10-8.

City V Kilfeacle

City controlled the 1st half of this tie with the forwards working hard at the breakdown but our only real scoring chance coming from a long range drop goal attempt by Peter Jones that slightly drifted wide. Kilfeacle took control early in the 2nd half with a well worked converted try by their fullback. Some big hits on both sides saw the game loosen up which suited Kilfeacle and on the last play they registered another try through their impressive fullback to leave the final score 14-0.

The club would like to thank all involved in the day and well done to Kilfeacle on finishing 1st,on Friday the 23rd our J1 side are back in action in a friendly against Carrick in Kilbarry, KO 7:00


DFP – Right Column – HalfPage


DFP – Right Column – MPU

Related News

Hear from Munster Head Coach Graham Rowntree and Calvin Nash ahead of Saturday’s Heineken Champions Cup clash with the Cell C Sharks in Durban (12.30pm)....