Rael To Start For Ireland U20
11th June 2012 By jess
Head Coach Mike Ruddock has named his Ireland U20 squad to play Italy tomorrow (ko 1.45pm) in the Junior World Cup which includes three Munster players.
The Munster Academy and Garryowen hooker James Rael makes his first start of the tournament after appearing off the bench in the matches with South Africa and England. Rael will join Peter Reilly and Des Merry in the front row.
Alan O’Connor partners Iain Henderson in the second row as Aaron Conneely, Josh Van de Flier and Jack Conan make up a new look back row.
Mike Sherlock has been named at full back with Conor Finn partnering Sam Coghlan Murray on the wing.
Peter Nelson joins Chris Farrell in the centre positions as Jack Carty and Luke McGrath have been named at out half and scrum half respectively.
Munster’s out-half JJ Hanrahan has not been named in the match day squad while Munster forwards Shane Buckley and Niall Scannell have been named on the bench.
Assistant coach Greig Oliver stressed the importance of this match with Italy. "This group was always going to be physically demanding having been drawn with England, South Africa and Italy".
"Playing Italy at any level is a physical test and we are under no illusions of what they will bring to the game. We have recovered from the disappointment of Friday night in the testing conditions at Stellenbosch, rested and then prepared well".
"This match has massive consequences on our future participation in this tournament, and all the squad are looking forward to the challenge as well as playing in a fantastic arena at the Cape Town Stadium."
The fixture has been moved from Danie Craven Stadium, Stellenbosch to Cape Town Stadium due to poor pitch conditions and will be shown live on TG4 and Sky Sports.
Ireland Under-20 Team
15. Mike Sherlock (Clontarf/Leinster)
14. Conor Finn (Buccaneers/Connacht)
13. Peter Nelson (Dungannon/Ulster)
12. Chris Farrell (Dungannon/Ulster)
11. Sam Coghlan Murray (UCD/Leinster)
10. Jack Carty (Buccaneers/Connacht)
9. Luke McGrath (UCD/Leinster)
1. Des Merrey (Clontarf/Leinster)
2. James Rael (Garryowen/Munster)
3. Peter Reilly (Lansdowne/Leinster)
4. Alan O'Connor (UCD/Leinster)
5. Iain Henderson (Queen's University/Ulster)
6. Aaron Conneely (Corinthians/Connacht)
7. Josh Van de Flier (UCD/Leinster)
8. Jack Conan (Old Belvedere/Leinster)
16. Niall Scannell (Dolphin/Munster)
17. Tadhg Furlong (Clontarf/Leinster)
18. Jake Cawley (Old Belvedere/Leinster)
19. Tadhg Beirne (Lansdowne/Leinster)
20. Shane Buckley (Garryowen/Munster)
21. Kieran Marmion (Corinthians/Connacht)
22. Cathal Marsh (Trinity College /Leinster)
23. Stuart Olding (Belfast Harlequins/Ulster)