DFP Header Area

Share this MunsterRugby.ie page

Bonus Point Win For Young Munster

20th October 2011 By Munster Rugby

Bonus Point Win For Young Munster

Young Munster travelled to Blackrock on Saturday and the mood in the camp was determined from the outset with the boys still hurting from the loss to Clontarf the previous weekend.

Courtesy of:  Olivia O'Sullivan, PRO, Young Munster RFC

An early penalty had us 0-3 up with outhalf Willie Staunton again in superb form for the black and amber. A Craig O'Hanlon tackle saved a sure try for the home side 10 minutes in, but Blackrock soon levelled the score with a penalty by Darragh Fitzpatrick which was followed by good play from the Dublin outfit and poor defensive work from us to let in the first try.

Moments later, an opportunist blockdown by Alan Cotter allowed Staunton to collect and field a long pass to Matthew Costelloe which he dutifully touched down, and Staunton converted, levelling the sides again at 10-10 after 15 minutes.

On the half hour mark, Costelloe got in for his second try under the posts as Munsters started to look the sharper side now, letting no error go unpunished in open play.

Blackrock may have had an opportunity to add a touch down but for an unlucky slip – lucky for us, and their penalty kick, minutes from the end of the first half, travelled left of the posts and wide. Instead a turnover ball by Young Munster saw the ball sail out to Darragh O'Neill on the wing who kicked ahead and scooped the ball from the bounce to touch down in the corner. The kick was the toughest of the day and Staunton masterfully slotted it over taking the score to 10-24 in favour of the visitors at half time.

The first score of the second half came 10 minutes in with a Blackrock penalty but moments later Staunton added another penalty to the Young Munster tally making it 13-27. Craig O'Hanlon was unlucky not to cross the try line midway into the half just losing out to his opposite number on a kick-through and chase. Indeed Darragh O'Neill on the other wing nearly got in for his second try with 15 minutes remaining but it was not to be. However the series of reset scrums that followed left referee David Wilkinson with no choice but to award a penalty try to the visitors ensuring the try bonus point. Staunton converted taking the score to 13-34 and after several attacking phases by Young Munster just before the final whistle, Staunton tapped a cheeky drop goal over the posts bringing his personal tally for the day to 17.

Final score: Blackrock 13 – 37 Young Munster

Team:Ray Moloney, Craig O’Hanlon, Mathew Costelloe, Andrew Burke, Darragh O’Neill, Willie Staunton, Mike Predergast, Donal Murphy, Ger Slattery (capt.), Alan Cotter, Darren Gallagher, Sean Duggan, Shane Hassett, James O’Neill, Neville Melbourne.  Replacements (all used): Ger Bourke, Hugh McGrath, Darragh Payne, Decy Bannon, Lukas Kunz.

Our next Ulster Bank League AIL Div1A game is v Shannon on the October bank holiday weekend. Why not make a day out of it and come to the pre-match lunch from 1pm? €;25 includes lunch, admission and match programme. Bookings: Brendan Collopy 086-6062606 / Fergal Deegan 086-2265692.

Under blue skies at Clifford Park on Sunday our Second XV had a good win over Nenagh. Despite going behind to a early drop goal we took complete control afterwards. Young Munster replied inside 5 minutess with a try from Capt. Ger Ryan (Plumber) and Declan Bannon added the conversion. We added a second try through the speedy Mark Doyle after great work between backs and forwards.
Nenagh came fighting back and scored again this time with a penalty to leave the score 12-6 in favour of Young Munster.   Mark Doyle added his second try and the home side's third just before half time and again Declan Bannon added the extra two points.

Eight minutes into the second half and Shane O'Leary. starting his first senior game. raced through the cover for a fine try with Declan Bannon adding the extra two points with the conversion.
Shane then added his second 10 minutes later and Young Munster's fifth with another great break to score near the posts, Bannon added the conversion with ease.

Mark Doyle got his hat trick in the 24th minute when he finished off great hands by all of our backs to score in the corner. Another of our under 21,s Owen Tarrant, also got on the score sheet with his first senior try and Bannon kicked the difficult conversion from near the touch line.

Jake Considine capped of a fine display at number 8 when he scored a great individual intercept try to leave the final score at 50 to 6 for Young Munster.

This was our best performance of the season so far and great credit must go to our coaches Gearoid Prendergast and Mark Hayes for putting their faith in these young players, playing alongside experienced players like Aaron Carroll (just back for his first game of the season) can only be good for them.

Final score: Young Munster 50 – 6 Nenagh

Team: Mark Doyle, Declan Brown, Aaron Carroll, Shane O’Leary, Darragh Long, Mark Mulvaney, Declan Bannon Sasha Slijepcevic, Ger Bourke, Cathal O’Connor, Ger Ryan, Jonathan Griffin, Evan O’Sullivan, Evan Culhane, Jake Considine.

Also on Sunday the Women's side travelled to Galbally in the second match of their All Ireland League campaign. The girls went down 5-0 in the first half but dominated possession with some promising work from some new faces that have joined the squad this year allied with good work from the more seasoned players.
In the second half, a great move off the back of a scrum five yards from the Galbally line saw outhalf Sam McCarthy get over for Young Munster's only try. Her conversion attempt drifted wide, not helped by the circling wind at the foot of the Tipperary mountains, and the game finished a draw with each side having to settle for 2 points a-piece. Young Munster currently top the Women's AIL Division 2-South table on 7 points after two matches. The girls' next game is at home to Ballincollig on November 6th.

Final score: Galbally 5-5 Young Munster

Our 3rds played Garryowen on Tuesday night on their all weather pitch in Dooradoyle and were extremely unlucky to come away with only a solitary losing bonus point after dominating the game for long periods. We weathered some early Garryowen pressure and managed to take the lead after 25 minutes with a breakaway try from Ross McCoy. Garryowen scored their first points shortly after and there was very little in it at half time with Young Munster ahead by 5 points to 3.

Garryowen got their noses in front shortly after the break with another penalty and could have extended their lead further but failed to convert a penalty opportunity. It was our turn to rue some missed oppertunities following this as two of our attempts at goal travelled left and wide, and another came back off the upright. We did take the lead with 10 minutes to go when Dave O'Connor took over kicking duties and put us 8-6 in front.

With 4 minutes remaining however, Garryowen's first centre landed a a controversial drop goal after a high tackle on our full back in front of our own posts went un-penalised and the resulting turnover gave Garryowen a 9-8 lead which they held on to until the end.

The losing bonus point is little consolation for the effort that our lads put in and to lose by such a narrow margin was a tough pill to swallow for the squad and management who must now turn their attention to St.Marys this Saturday again in the Gleeson League.

Final score: Garryowen 9 – 8 Young Munster


DFP – Right Column – HalfPage


DFP – Right Column – MPU

Related News