Munster Women’s to play Penn State
6th March 2006 By Munster Rugby
Following the success of the U21 team on Tuesday, tonight its the turn of the Munster Women’s Senior team to play Penn State University in Temple Hill (ko 7.30pm)
Following the success of the Munster U21 team on Tuesday night, tonight its the turn of the Munster Senior team, as they take on Penn State University in Temple Hill at 7.30pm. The team is captained for the first time by Highfield centre Deirdre Lynch.
Penn State are one of the strongest Varsity teams in the US, and top players include Kirsten Aerts and Claudia Braymer who were involved in the national team’s recent tour of Ireland, and last year two players were named in the Women s collegiate All-Americans first team, chosen from a pick of 10,000 players.
1. Natasha O’Keeffe (Clanwilliam)
2. Emma Stanley (UL-Bohs)
3. Laura Guest (Clonakilty)
4. Deirdre O’Brien (UL-Bohs)
5. Tracie O’Dwyer (Clanwilliam)
6. Paula O’Connor (Shannon)
7. Rachel Tucker (Vice-Captain UL-Bohs)
8. Kate O’Loughlin (Clonmel)
9. Sharyn Sample (Shannon)
10. Helen Brosnan (Highfield)
11. Mairead Kelly (UL-Bohs)
12. Deirdre Lynch (Captain – Highfield)
13. Stacey Kucharchuk (Shannon)
14. Carol Murphy (UL-Bohs)
15. Jeanette Feighery (UL-Bohs)
16. Chris Fanning (Highfield)
17. Niamh English (Highfield)
18. Karen Kenny (Highfield)
19. Denise Hickey (Highfield)
20. Martha Halbert (Highfield)
21. Eavan Hunt (Clonakilty)
22. Sandra Williams (Nenagh)
Standby – Claire Peters (Clonmel)
Munster U21’s 24-10 Penn State
A superb first half performance from the Munster U21 side was enough to see them through their first challenge this year as they overcame Penn State in Cork.
The rising Munster stars scored all of their points in the opening forty minutes and put the game beyond doubt by the half time whistle.
They got off to a fantastic start with scores coming fast and early and they recorded three early tries through impressive centres Niamh Briggs (Dungarvan) and Sandra Williams (Nenagh Ormond) and Clonakilty number eight Jane Lowney, with 17-year-old out half Nicole Fitzgerald adding two points. After that there was no stopping the host team, as Briggs, who hugely impressed throughout the game, added another after a fine solo run and it was too much to come back from for the visiting Americans.
The Americans did present a better threat in the second half, with out-half Amber Benlion especially sound with her boot, and their effective maul also presented problems for Munster, who did make a raft of substitutes.
The visitors were rewarded when Benlion skipped through a number of tackles to touch down early in the second half and it was a solid maul that brought their second score before the end when Sarah Carter touched down.
MUNSTER U21 TEAM:
15. Lisa Brick (Clonakilty), 14. Aoife Deasy (Clonakilty), 13. Sandra Williams (Nenagh Ormond), 12. Niamh Briggs (Dungarvan), 11. Fiona O Sullivan (Highfield), 10. Nicole Fitzgerald (UL Bohs), 9. Clare Rigney (Ballincollig) Captain, 1. Julie Ryan (UCC), 2. Cliona Kirwan (Dungarvan), 3. Nicola Cuddihy (Nenagh Ormond), 4. Laura Healy (Clonmel), 5. Lousie Landers (Dungarvan), 6. Kate Sheehan (UL Bohs), 7. Orla O Keeffe (Highfield), 8. Jane Lowney (Clonakilty)
Replacements: 16. Julie Arnott (Youghal), 17. Laura Byrne (Shannon), 18. Christine Arthurs (Tralee), 19. Jen O Donovan (Clonakilty), 20. Ciara Ryan (Clanwilliam), 21. Kate English (UL Bohs), 22. Charlotte Skidmore (Clonakilty)
PENN STATE UNIVERSITY:
D Kleine, A Parks, B Vesyl, A Bowman, AK Bodison, A Benlion, L Veisz, A Petko, A Winter, D Keller, C Hood, S Carter, S Doherty, J Leiberman, R Daley
Referee: B Brunt (MAR)