Rugby - It's in your Blood Become a Referee!
Join the Munster Association of Referees
Benefits of becoming a referee:
- Opportunities to Travel
- Keep Fit
- Best seat in the house
- Participation in our great game
- Full M.A.R. Members access to tickets
The Munster Association of Referees is giving you the opportunity to give back to the sport! Rugby referees enjoy the same benefits of the game as the players - without the injuries!
If keeping fit (referees run six miles in an 80 minute match), travelling, taking part in a lively social scene or getting an adrenaline rush is your idea of a great pastime, rugby refereeing could be for you. As well as the obvious benefits, a referee's constant study of the game enriches their enjoyment of this lifetime sport. There is more need for referees now than ever!
Upcoming New Referee Course:
Once details of the next course are confirmed they will be posted here.
Courses are free of charge, please register with one of the below contacts to attend a new referee course:
For more details please contact:
North Munster: Peter Fitzgibbon
South Munster: Dave McHugh
Current All Ireland League Referees from Munster
- George Clancy (Bruff)
- Peter Fitzgibbon (Thomond)
- Leo Colgan (Garryowen)
- John Lacey (Clanwilliam)
- Darragh McCormack (Waterpark)
- Kieran Barry (Midleton)
- Eddie Hogan O'Connell (Sundays Well)
- Barrie O'Connell (Cork Constitution)
- Dave O'Flynn (Dolphin)
- Ken Imbusch (Young Munster)
- Mark Connolly (Young Munster)
- Derek Noonan (Bruff)
- Tommy O'Donoghue (Garryowen)
- Will O'Connor (unattached)
- Olly Hodges (UL Bohs)
- Shane Kierans (unattached)
IRFU Active Referee Pathway
Find more information about the Munster Association of Referees by clicking here.
Club and School Affiliate Referee Course
It is IRFU policy that all domestic rugby matches must only be refereed by:
- Members of the Branch Referee Associations/Society
- Club & School Affiliated Referees
The IRFU policy on Club and School Affiliate Referees can be found here.
Clubs and Schools are responsible for the appointment of Club & School Referees when there is no branch referee association / society referee available.
The Branch Referee Associations / Society have no involvement of any kind with Club and School Affiliate Referees. Club and School Affiliate Referees are a club and school resource and responsibility only.
Should Club and School Affiliate Referees wish to become a branch referee they should make contact with their local Referee Development Officer.
Benefits to the game
Club or School
- Their affiliate referees are covered by insurance.
- Safer environment for their players.
- Better quality of matches for their players.
- Safer and more controlled playing environment.
- More enjoyable environment for their players with legitimate contest and continuity maintained.
Upcoming Affiliate Referee courses are listed in the events on the Domestic Game homepage once confirmed, please revert to same to find out details of any upcoming Affiliate Referee courses. These are free of charge and open to all school and club coaches.