After this score Munster dominated the forward exchanges and after a period of continued pressure they were rewarded with a try by Finbarr Aherne which was converted by Declan Cusack. With Munster playing against the harsh conditions in the first half they kept the half time score to 7 â00 7 through some outstanding forward performances from such players as Dave Kilcoyne, Ronan Corkery and Brian Oâ00Callaghan.
Munster scored their second try on the 62nd minute and Ian Cross grounded the ball after an impressive backline move. Declan Cusack converted from in front of the posts. Munsterâ00s defence won this game and the players who were the most impressive in this area were Murray Kinsella, Dave Foley, Ken Hanley and Mike Lenihan. All the Munster Replacements were used and all stood up to the task they were set. The USA applied considerable pressure in the last 10 minutes but they were unable to break the Munster defence.
Munster finished the winners at 14 â00 7. The man of the match award went to an inspirational Pat Oâ00Regan with high recognition going to the Munster captain Dave Foley who led the team with another quality game.
Finally a special word of thanks to the Young Munster RFC, for providing their facilities for this match.
1. Dave Kilcoyne UL Bohemians
2. Ronan Corkery UCC
3. Pat Oâ00Regan UL Bohemians
4. Dave Foley (captain) UL Bohemians
5. Ken Hanley Young Munster
6. Mike Lenihan Mallow / UCC
7. Barry Sheehan Ard Scoil Ris
8. Brian Oâ00Callaghan CBC
9. Chris Nolan Cork Constitution
10. Declan Cusack Thomond
11. Paul Gleeson Ard Scoil Ris
12. Ian Cross Crescent Comprehensive
13. Murray Kinsella UL Bohemians
14. Finarr Aherne Crescent Comprehensive
15. Odran Mulrooney CBC
16. Eddie Rossiter UL Bohemians
17. Tom Burke Shannon
18. Aaron McCluskey Young Munster
19. Darragh Frawley Castletroy College
20. Billy Oâ00Regan CBC
21. Colm Downes Garryowen
22. Mark Doyle Crescent comprehensive
Manager: Alan Miller
Head Coach: Ian Costello
Assistant Coach: Hamish Adams
Physio: Declan Lynch
Video Annalist: Len Browne
Fitness & Conditioning Coach: Raymond Egan
Doctor: Mick Shinkwin