DFP Header Area

Share this MunsterRugby.ie page

Match Pages - NO STATS - Match Information

Tigers trump Munster with injury-time try at Welford Road

August 28, 2009 12:00 am By Munster Rugby

A try deep in injury time in controversial circumstances saw Leicester Tigers snatch a late late 34-28 win over Munster in Welford Road.

In a game that saw referee David Rose award a total of 45 free kicks and penalties, two of those penalty awards as penalty tries to the home side and Munster score four tries, it ended with a try from Tom Croft when Leicester took a quick tap penalty in the dying moments for Croft to squeeze in at the corner.

When Scott Deasy converted Damian Varley’s 64th minute try to put Munster one point in front (28-27) it was no more than they deserved given that it was the fourth time they’d crossed the Leicester line.

They then had to withstand fierce Leicester pressure, which they did with tremendously brave defence and when they orchestrated a break out with some slick handling it looked like they were headed for victory. And when Manu Tuilagi shoulder charged Danny Barnes, the least that was expected was a penalty. Instead, Rose awarded a scrum to Leicester for the knock-on and that provided the launch pad for the winning score.

Munster trailed 13-7 at the end of an opening half that was highlighted by a superb 9th minute Felix Jones try and went further ahead early in the second half when Rose awarded the first of two penalty tries. What may gall Munster supporters is the fact that in the opening half, the referee penalised the Leicester scrum four successive times, metres from their own line but in that instance didn’t deem Leicester’s offence worthy of a similar sanction.

Munster’s response to that 44th minute setback that had them 20-7 in arrears was to come right downfield and for Denis Hurley to score off a quick tap penalty. Peter Stringer’s perfect box kick was raced onto minutes later again by Hurley to put Munster in front but shortly after Donnacha Ryan was yellow carded and Leicester were awarded their second penalty try.

Varley put Munster in front again and Scott Deasy again added the points. He missed a penalty shortly after but Munster looked to have weathered the storm before Jeremy Staunton had the final sat converting Croft’s try.

Tries: Scott Hamilton, Penalty (2), Tom Croft
Cons: Jeremy Staunton (4)
Pens: Jeremy Staunton (2)
Tries: Felix Jones, Denis Hurley (2), Damien Varley
Cons: Paul Warwick, Scott Deasy (3)
Scott Hamilton, Matt Smith, Dan Hipkiss, Anthony Allen, Johne Murphy, Jeremy Staunton, Ben Youngs, Martin Castrogiovanni, George Chuter, Julian White, Louis Deacon (c), Ben Kay, Craig Newby, Ben Woods, Jordan Crane

Replacements: Mefin Davies, Matt Parr, Dan Cole, Brett Deacon, Geoff Parling, Harry Ellis, Manu Tuilagi, Billy Twelvetrees, Tom Croft, Ben Pienaar, James Grindal, Jack Cobden

Felix Jones, Denis Hurley, Tom Gleeson, Scott Deasy, Danny Barnes, Paul Warwick, Peter Stringer, Marcus Horan, Denis Fogarty, Julien Brugnaut, Mick O’Driscoll (c), Donnacha Ryan, Billy Holland, Niall Ronan, Denis Leamy

Replacements: Damien Varley, Dave Ryan, Ian Nagle, James Coughlan, Toby Morland, Andrew Burke, Danny Riordan, Tommy O’Donnell, Stephen Archer, Ronan O’Mahony