DFP Header Area

Share this MunsterRugby.ie page

Match Pages - NO STATS - Match Information

Munster Win In Shaw’s Bridge

March 16, 2011 12:00 am By Munster Rugby

Munster Win In Shaw’s Bridge

A four try 28-3 victory for Munster at Shaws Bridge that heralded the return to action of Felix Jones who almost marked that milestone with a try in the opening minute after a surging run from his own 22, the full back only denied by a bad bounce.

Otherwise it was a workmanlike performance whose foundation was based on a rock solid scrum and near flawless lineout.

The home side opened the scoring with a Niall O’Connor penalty after just five minutes when the Munster defence was penalised for offside as first Darren Cave and then Thomas Anderson found holes in the Munster defence.

Munster’s response was immediate and with a steady platform being provided by their pack at the set piece they went in front with a 10th minute try from a five metre line-out, Ian Nagle getting on the end of a move, that involved Sam Tuitupou, Alan Quinlan and Duncan Williams, to score to the left of the posts.

Ulster enjoyed a period of territorial dominance before Munster regrouped to score a second try, this time Darragh Hurley crashing over, again after Munster had opted for a five metre line out rather than a shot at goal.

They ended the half with a third try when out-half Declan Cusack added the points to his own try for a 21-3 interval lead.

Ulster were the livelier from the restart with Jamie Smith and Ali Birch causing Munster all sorts of problems and their best chance came when Smith took a marvellous high ball and broke clear only to run out of support.

They pummelled the Munster line in the opening quarter and it resulted in a yellow card for Dave Foley, a harsh decision, before referee O'Dowd eventually penalised the home side for replacement out-half Scott Deasy to relieve the pressure.

Munster then took charge, a Duncan Willams break taking Munster into the Ulster 22 and after a bout of sustained pressure and with the penalty coming for offside, Billy Holland crashed over for his side’s fourth try.

N O'Connor 1 Penalty
D Cusack 1 Try; 3 Conversions

S Deasy 1 Conversion

I Nagle 1 Try

D Hurley 1 Try

B Holland 1 Try

J Smith, D McIlwhaine, D Cave, I Whitten, C Cochrane; N O’Connor, M Heaney, C Carey, J Burns, A Macklin, D Tuohy, N McComb, T Anderson, D McGuigan, A Birch. Replacements: K McCall, A Whitten, F Beacham, D Huston, P Pritchard, C Spence, R McBurney, M Allen, J Shiels.
F Jones (T Smith 51 min), S Scanlon, D Barnes, S Tuitupou, L O’Dea, D Cusack (S Deasy ht), D Williams capt (P Rowley 60 min), D Hurley (M Horan ht), M Sherry (D Fogarty ht), S Archer (J Hayes, temp & 46 min), D Foley, I Nagle, A Quinlan (B Holland 51 min), N Ronan (T O’Donnell 51 min), P O’Mahony (P Butler 51 min).