DFP Header Area

Share this MunsterRugby.ie page

Match Pages - Match Information

Current standing

Match Pages - Current Standing

Head to head

Match Pages - Head to Head

Last time

Match Pages - Last Time

Recent form

Match Pages - Form Guide

Season so far

Match Page - Season so far

Munster - Match Page - Lineups - Preview

Munster’s Dismal Welsh Form Continues

January 5, 2007 12:00 am By Munster Rugby

Munster’s Dismal Welsh Form Continues

Munster’s unbeaten run stretching back came to November came to an end in Rodney Parade when they were beaten 19-12 by Newport-Gwent Dragons.

Munster scored two first half tries and led 12-6 at half time but an early second half Jamie Ringer try converted by Ceri Sweeney proved the inspiration for the Dragon’s revival. The out-half also tagged on two penalties and while they will feel deserving victors they could have had little quibble had Munster stolen this one.

Lifeimi Mafi gave them the lead with some neat footwork that led to an 8th minute try and he repeated the dose thirty minutes later for a second try that Jeremy Manning converted for a 12-3 lead.

In injury time Sweeney threw his side a lifeline with a well taken drop-goal but by then Munster were without Manning who had retired with a shoulder injury to be replaced by Eoghan Hickey. By then also they were reduced to 14 after Andy Kyriacou had been yellow carded.

Shortly after the restart Munster lost John O’Sullivan with a knee injury and soon after that lost the lead when Ringer scored his try. But winning this game still looked well within the Munster compass and they should really have regained the lead in the 64th minute when awarded a penalty but Hickey was narrowly wide from in front of the posts.

With nine minutes of normal time remaining Munster were again reduced to fourteen when Donnacha Ryan was yellow carded for coming round a ruck and Sweeney made no mistake with the resultant kick. Just on the stroke of full-time he ended any hope of Munster’s snatching a dramatic victory when he landed his third successful penalty.

MUNSTER : C Cullen; A Horgan, L Mafi, T Halstead (M Lawlor, 59), I Dowling; J Manning (E Hickey, 30 (B O’Meara 68), T O’Leary; M Horan (F Pucciariello 57), A Kyriacou, T Buckley (E McGovern, 62); D Ryan, M O’Driscoll; C Wyatt (F Pucciariello, 40-47, J Coughlan, 58), A Foley, J O’Sullivan (P O’Connell, 47).

NEWPORT-GWENT DRAGONS : K Morgan (capt); G Wyatt, P Emerick, A Smith, A Brew; C Sweeney, G Cooper (A Walker, 64); A Black (D Maddocks, 80), B Daly (K Crawford, 15), L Harrison; I Gough (A Hall, 73), P Sidoli; C Charvis, M Owen (N Fitisemanu, 64), J Ringer.

Referee: Andy Macpherson (Scotland) .

Match Pages - Summary

Match Page - Timeline

Match page - Match Stats

Match Page - Lineups