DFP Header Area

Share this MunsterRugby.ie page

Club News W/C 29/3

31st March 2009 By Munster Rugby

Club News W/C 29/3

News from around the clubs from last weekend

Killorglin Rugby Club’s Senior team hosted Kilrush on Sunday last in their penultimate game of the Munster Junior League season. In an open game of running rugby, Killorglin triumphed 21-10 scoring two tries in the process. The first try came from wing Vivian O’Callaghan, and was quickly followed by an O’Gara-like drop goal from Ronan Curtayne. Brian Gannon scored a penalty & Kilrush scored a try of their own before Kieran Crowley scored Killorglin’s try of the season. He collected the ball on the half way line, broke a tackle and went on to sidestep a winger, a centre and finally the fullback before touching the ball down between the posts. Brian Gannon added the conversion and then a final penalty to put Killorglin 21-5 ahead at half time. Kilrush scored a try in the second half by pushing a 5 metre scrum over the line, but the Killorglin lead proved too great to catch. Killorglin now host St. Mary’s of Limerick on the last day of the season next Sunday. Kickoff at the Community College Grounds is at 3pm and all support would be much appreciated.
Senior Team Training continues every Tuesday & Friday at 7pm at the Dragon’s Den All weather pitch.
The clubs under 10s & 12s continue to train on Saturday mornings at 11am in the Dragon’s Den. All new players are very welcome.
On Saturday 14th, 48 of our young players, the Under 10s and 12s, travelled to Listowel to take part in a three team tournament with our hosts, and Castleisland RFC.
Seven games were played, with each squad member getting plenty of game time to show their skills.
This was a great experience for our teams and the club would particularly like to thank all of the parents that travelled, for their support and encouragement.
More details are available on the club website, http://www.killorglinrugby.com/
This Saturday, April 4th, our Under 10s and 12s will be playing a series of matches, at The Community College, against the newly formed Kenmare Rugby Club.
All players are asked to attend at 10.30 am, and support would be much appreciated for both Killorglin AND for Kerrys newest batch of rugby players. Contact Youth Officer, John Costello, 086 – 355 81 85 for details.

UL Bohemian RFC
Rugby Notes
Weekending 29th Mar 2009
Denis Ryan

The AIL resumed after another break, but UL Bohs continued where they left off, with another try bonus win. Unlike the game against Terenure, however, the ending this time was more fraught, as the visitors to Belfield held a 27-11 lead until the final ten minutes, and then held on tensely as UCD brought it back to 30-25 at the final whistle. UL Bohs faced the wind in the first half and had only an Aidan McNulty penalty to show, against a try and a penalty to the home side. With the aid of the elements following the changeover, UL Bohs began to take control. This was highlighted by three tries from James O’Neill, and the bonus winning one from prop Richie Feeney, when the visiting pack began to exert dominance. With time running out, UCD staged a comeback, but their late tries were not sufficient to overtake the big lead. In addition to the try scorers, Aidan McNulty put over a penalty while Fergal Lawlor kicked 2 conversions and a penalty. With two games left, and 9 points between UL Bohs and the next placed side, it looks as if a top 8 place is assured for next season, but with massive games against Shannon and Blackrock to come, nothing can be taken for granted in this tightly fought league.
The U-20s got a walkover in their All Ireland Cup quarter final game against Dungannon, and now face UCD in the semi final on Saturday in Belfield. The management viewed their game against UCC and were very impressed by the Dublin side, who boast a big pack and some very skilful backs. However, this UL Bohs squad has the incentive of trying to emulate last season’s title winning side, so will travel with determination. It should be a game well worth seeing.
The women’s team travelled to Cork to face Highfield once again. On their previous visit they beat the home side in the Cup, and on this occasion, in the league, boosted by the return of their international contingent, they ran out winners by 48-0. Highlights included 3 tries each by Lynn Cantwell and Louise Beamish, who got Player of the game for her excellent all round display.
The U-11s travelled to Dublin for the Willow Park tournament, and beat the hosts 3-2 in the final.
Details of games and photos on http://www.ulbohs.com/.

Carrick-on-Suir RFC
Sights set on promotion after another win over Dungarvan

Played? 10. Won? Nine. Lost? Just the once. Scored: 221 points; conceded: 60. Now that’s impressive!

Carrick-on-Suir finished their Division Three Group B season with an impressive 39-8 win over Dungarvan on Sunday last, the fourth time we’ve beaten the Ballyrandle unit this season.

That we were denied a perfect season by losing 10-0 to Galbally in a game that was twice postponed still craws in many a Carrick gut. It’s been that kind of season.

This has been the best campaign that the Tybroughney-based club has enjoyed in several years with inconsistency, our greatest bugbear for years, finally decommissioned.

So what’s made the big difference this season? Commitment tops the list. Carrick have not had to rely on making last minute phone calls to haul lads out of bed to make up the numbers.

Ask any Carrick captain of previous years and he’ll share a few tales of selectorial woe tales with you!

Since the team, commendably led by skipper Willie Stokes, got together for close season training under the expert eye of Ritchie Kennedy last summer, the bit has rarely been anywhere but between Carrick teeth.

Many nights of hard work in Tybroughney and Rathgormack have had the desired effect. One only needs to look at our results for the proof of that particular pudding.

The team features physical power throughout – look only to former Garryowen player Adam O’Loughlin, the hard hitting Eddie O’Donnell or the mobile back row of John O’Keeffe, Dylan Davies and Mick Carroll for ready made examples.

There’s also footballing quality aplenty provided via the hands and feet of James Wallace, Peter Steele, Ross Clery and Alban Coughlan to name but a few.

The full-blooded commitment provided by John and Brian Phelan and the experience which Eddie Barry brings to the table have all proven instrumental to date.

Defensively, Carrick have been resolute this season, keeping three clean sheets in league action – a superb achievement by anyone’s standards/

On only one occasion have they conceded more than one try in a match this season – away to Douglas on February 22nd, a game in which they had two men sin binned.

But the biggest challenge of all now faces the Carrick men, a play-off semi-final and the potential promotion decider that awaits thereafter.

While 3A winners Castleisland also ran away with their section (they now face Galbally in their semi-final), the runners-up spot on that side of the league has yet to be decided.

However, it would appear that Saint Mary’s of Limerick are Carrick’s likeliest opponents, given that Killarney (the only team that can pip them) face Castleisland in their final tie.

Though not yet confirmed, word has it that Carrick’s semi-final (at home) may be played on Good Friday to avoid a clash with the Munster/Ospreys Heineken Cup quarter-final.

It could prove a very Good Friday indeed for the men of Carrick.


Nenagh Ormond RFC Notes for Weekend 28th and 29th March 2009

Nenagh Ormond 14 – Midleton 8

Middleton travelled to Nenagh on Saturday last hoping to strengthen their grip on their promotion hopes to Division 2. Middleton were lying in joint second place prior to the game and had the Munster backs coach Jason Holland at out half and former Munster star John O’Neill playing on the wing. On top of that they brought a heavy set of forwards.

However if they thought that Nenagh were going to concede them anything soft they were truly mistaken. The day was characterised by a heavy cross wind blowing which was really as things turned out was beneficial to nobody. Nenagh played with whatever advantage there was in the first half but it was Middleton who started brighter. They created a lot of pressure at scrum. It took Nenagh some ten minutes to get into the Middleton half and they were rewarded with a penalty from John Lillis to go 3 – 0 up. Middleton came right back and were rewarded with a penalty of their own but such was the strength of the wind, the resulting kick was missed. Middleton also seemed to spurn a couple of chances in favour of trying to score tries rather than taking their kicks. They were obviously thinking about bonus point. Nenagh were very competitive in the line out and as the game wore on the scrum got much stronger. Nenagh took their opportunities and were rewarded with two further penalties converted by John Lillis. Middleton for their part were dangerous in broken play and were rewarded with a try as a result of aggressive running with the ball. The resultant conversion was missed and Nenagh were now facing into the breeze in the second half with a 9-5 lead.

Nenagh’s second half performance was outstanding and indeed it was the best forty minutes of play put together by Nenagh this year. The young guns Brian Williams and Keith Quigley carried a lot of ball and were excellent in the line out. Their elders Robbie Powell and Colm McMahon were now running the game. Middleton pressed hard but were met with fierce Nenagh defence. Nenagh got to grips with the conditions a lot better.

Ten minutes into the second half a long ball was cleared and well gathered by Ger Heremse. He beat a couple of tackles and an off load brought play to half way. The ball was spun out and Vima Tuidraki playing in the centre chipped the ball over his opposite number gathered again and made further ground. The ball was spun quickly towards the left and Nenagh were pressing hard to get in in the corner. From the resultant ruck Mike Fogarty spotted a gap and reached out to touch down for a great try. It was no more than Nenagh deserved.

Middleton came back into the game again and were awarded with a penalty of their own but thereafter they never really threatened and it was the Nenagh forwards that were on top.

There were a number of notable changes with the input of Rory O’Brien into the back row. Playing Vima Tuidraki in the centre really added to the Nenagh effort and the large Nenagh crowd really enjoyed the teams efforts. Middleton have all but scuppered their chances of promotion and in truth Nenagh would wish that the season could go for another six weeks given the standards that they have hit now. All in all it is very encouraging and is built on a strong youth policy. Nenagh’s next game will be away to Banbridge on Saturday the 11th April. The last game against Portadown will be played in Nenagh on the 18th April.

TEAM: M. Kennedy (Captain), C. Whelan, F. Brislane, R. Powell, B. Williams, K. Quigley, C. McMahon, R O’Brien, M. Fogarty, D Delaney, V Tuidraki, J. Kingston, D. Corcoran, G. Hermse, J. Lillis


Dolphin 28 – Nenagh Ormond 7

Nenagh seconds travelled to Musgrave Park on Sunday for their final league game of the season needing a win to set up a play-off for the league and promotion to Division 1 of the Munster Senior Seconds league. Unfortunately it just wasn’t to be as Dolphin were the stronger team on the day.
There was no score in the first half with both teams limited to one kickable penalties each. It was a tough encounter with plenty of hard hitting from both teams.
The second half was a more lively affair with more end to end rugby played. The first score of the game came after ten minutes in the second half when Dolphin crashed over for a converted try. Nenagh hit back within two minutes with a fine try from Darren Horan, his first game back after injury, which was converted by Dan Fogarty. Five minutes later Dolphin retook the lead with a converted try under the posts. They added two more coverted tries in the last ten minutes.
The final score was not a reflection of the game with Dolphin getting a couple of bounces of the ball.
Overall it has to be said that it was a good season for the Seconds, finishing second in the league and a quarter final in the Junior Cup is no mean feat. Hopefully the experience of this campaign and the disappointed over the last couple of weeks will give the players an extra hunger to go one step further and win the league next season.


Nenagh Ladies had no match last weekend. We are hoping to organise a friendly for this Sunday against Young Munster in preparation for our League Semi-Final. Details will be given at training. Training continues Wednesdays and Fridays at 7:30. New players always welcome, contact Louise on 087-2201596.


Cashel 25 – Nenagh Ormond 7
Nenagh U-18’s Relinquish Cup

In what can only be described as an heroic performance, a 13 man Nenagh U-18’s relinquished their East Munster cup at the semi final stage to a spirited Cashel team on Sunday morning. Having campaigned on three fronts this season (League, Cup, and Munster), with many of the team also playing U-20’s for much of the season, their depleted resources finally saw the team fall at the penultimate hurdle, as they sought to do the League an Cup double. The team traveled to Cashel with the bare minimum of sixteen players, after a tough campaign had had deprived them of many key players such as Rory Whelan, Andrew Kelly, Sean Hayes and Ritchie Nevin, and when sub Brian Dillon was injured in the warm-up, Nenagh took to the field with just the required 15.

In a pretty even affair in terms of possession, Cashel took an early lead from their impressive winger after some Nenagh indecision in defence, and then disaster struck again for the team when their captain and talisman Damien Cahalan had to retire with suspected concussion after just 15 minutes of the first half. Cashel capitalized quickly on this to secure a second try to leave the scores at 12 points to nil after twenty minutes. But the Nenagh spirit really started to shine through at this stage, as the team (lifted by an awesome display by their pack who were now down to seven) started to take the game to Cashel. Strong runs from John O’Dowd and Fergal Hayes in the backs brought the team into the opposition 22, and the pack took over from here with a series of pick-and-go’s which saw Kieran McCann, Paudie Curtin and Kevin O’Gorman bash the Cashel defence into submission before quick hands from Eddie Gleeson sent Adrian Lewis over for a try. Dean Wallace cooly slotted over the conversion to leave the scores at 12-7 as half time approached, and the team were in a positive frame of mind at this stage.

However, it was in the final minutes of the half that Nenagh’s cause was to be finally undone, just as they began to boss the game, when the pack were again weakened when the impressive Kevin O’Gorman was also forced to retire injured. Now down to 13, Nenagh fough a brave rearguard action for much of the second half, and tackled like their lives depended on it. They were not going to give up the cup which they had won the previous season without a fight – and fight they did. As the only recognized lineout jumper left on the field for Nenagh, Cathal Donovan won ball after ball on both the Nenagh and Cashel throws to give his team much needed possession as they faced an onslaught from Cashel, while James Holland, Michael Long, Sean Fogarty and Kevin Walsh tackled like men possessed in the backs. The constant pressure finally told when Cashel scored their first try of the second half with about 15 minutes to go, and as the workrate dropped from a now exhausted Nenagh side, Cashel ran in two more tries out wide in the dying minutes of the game to leave the final scoreline at 25 to 7 in the home teams favour.

In what has been a truly memorable season for this young team, with a league title to their credit and a Munster final appearance, this team can take great pride in their achievements, and this final game of the season really epitomized the spirit of Nenagh rugby. For by playing with just 13 men for the majority of this match, these young men discovered something within themselves which will stand them in good stead as they move on in their lives. The bonds of friendship which have been formed over the last number of years as they moved from mini rugby into the juvenile ranks came to the fore at the weekend when their backs were to the wall, as brother stood beside brother to deliver a performance of bravery and spirit which will ensure that the Nenagh name remains as respected as ever.

The team on the day for Nenagh was as follows;
Forwards – Keith Purcell, Kieran Mc Cann, Adrian Lewis, Kevin O’Gorman, Paidi Curtin, Cathal Donovan, Eddie Gleeson and Damien Cahalan (Capt.)
Backs – Fergal Hayes, Sean Fogarty, Dean Wallace, John O’Dowd, Kevin Walsh, James Holland, Brian Dillon, and Michael Long

The management team of Ricky, Alphie, Mark and Matt would like to take this opportunity to thank the team for their time and commitment over the last number of months, and they will now have a well deserved break and we look forward to welcoming them back at the start of next season.

Under 14s
Nenagh Ormond 0 – Clonmel 10

U14 Nenagh 0 Clonmel 10

Nenagh again came out the wrong side of a closely contested u14 game at home to an improved Clonmel side on Sunday last.
Nenagh started strongly and were well in command up front. Playing into the wind they
were very unlucky not to score. They were held up over the line on two occasions.
In the second half Clonmel got a try and from there to the end Nenagh pressed for an
equalising score unfortunately, Clonmel broke away at the very end to get a second try.
A good performance from all in particular a few who took on new positions for the day. Training continues on Wed and Friday at 7pm. All who want to play to attend, new players always welcome. Remaining games in the league are at home.
Squad: C Wallace, J O’ Flaherty, G White, J Donovan, D Fox, G OGorman, D Hassey,
C Comerford, E O’ Brien, D Flannery, B O’ Connor, P Ryan, E Moloney, C Lucey, C Leo,
J Knight.


Kilfeacle U12 Blitz 2009

After a very hardworking determined year Kilfeacle U12 finally had their day when they won all three games during the Kilfeacle U12 Blitz on Sunday March 22nd 2009. In the first game Kilfeacle took on Young Munster who gave them a mighty beaten in the Bruff Blitz earlier this year, however on this occasion the boys in Blue got their own back by coming out on top. Score (1-0). With one win under their belts the Kilfeacle boys tore into Nenagh. At half time Kilfeacle were 2-1 up, this lead was increased yet again when Kilfeacle played their magic hands and got the ball out to Winnie Ryan who pegged it down the wing and scored a great try. After this win the boys enjoyed the luxury of soup and sandwiches courtesy of the players’ parents. The tension was rising amongst the players and the usual healthy banter had stopped. After a nerve racking game Kilfeacle went on to beat Garryowen. Unfortunately just before half time a disappointed Declan Farrell had to come off due to a blood injury. All players got stuck in and gave each match as much as they could muster.
Players – Julian Link, Brian Barnes (Barney), Q, Hennessy (Cam), Declan Farrell, Sean Cafferty, Craig Quinn, Micky Power, Conor Dee, Ronan Fogarty, Billy Simpson, Micky Ryan, Liam Kinane, Shane Ryan, Declan O’Dwyer, Winnie Ryan, Brian McLoughlin, Cian Ryan, Robbie McGee, Jamie Houston, Team Mascot – Sam Quinn)
(Not in picture) : – Cormac Flaherty, Brian Mac, Tom Hayes, Stephan Moloney
In the end Kilfeacle were comfortable winners of the competition. Trainers Aidan Quinn and Noel Farrell were very happy with the win.
Noel Farrell said the boys worked hard all year and came away from many a game defeated and shattered by yet another defeat but came back, every Friday night training, often in poor weather conditions and never complaining even on the Artic nights. Aidan and Noel wished the boys luck for the future as some of them move on up to U14 next year.

Kilfeacle Under 10’s Impress

Kilfeacle U10A vs. UL Bohs U10A 5 – 1 (Kilfeacle won)
Kilfeacle U10A vs. UL Bohs U10B 2 – 3 (UL Bohs won)
Kilfeacle U10B vs. UL Bohs U10B 0 – 4 (UL Bohs won)
Kilfeacle U10B vs. UL Bohs U10A 4 – 4 (Drawn game)

Last Sunday the 29th of March saw the Kilfeacle U10s travel to Limerick to compete against some strong UL Bohs opposition at the UL Bohemians Rugby Grounds. Weather conditions were dry on the day and some very entertaining rugby was played, 4 games were played and the results generally were good. Notable players for Kilfeacle U10 As were: Christopher Irwin, Josh Ryan, Luke Ashmore, Tomas O Murachu & Arnold O’ Dwyer. Notable players for Kilfeacle U10 Bs were: Timothy Clarke, Mark Compton, Eoin Kelly & Maurice O’ Sullivan.

Kilfeacle Under 14’s see off local rivals in a hard fought game.

Kilfeacle under 14’s traveled into Clanwilliams Collegeland pitch on Sunday to play the return leg in the east Munster under 14 league. Kilfeacle had a dream start with a try in the first few minutes by Oisin O’Meara which was converted by captain Jake O’Halloran. Clanwilliam responded shortly after with a try of their own and the physical exchanges of the first quarter were indicative of the hard game that was to come. Kilfeacle’s pack was physically smaller but their rucking technique was considerably superior and that was the difference. The score line at the end read 31 points to 10 in Kilfeacle’s favour and this was due to sterling offensive work by Oisin O’Meara and Neil Morrissey and outstanding defensive work by man of the match Ricky Whitney. Very clever play by the halfback pairing of Philip Ryan and Jake O’Halloran kept the Clan boys guessing and pinned into their own half for much of this game, which at times looked as though tempers would boil over. Clanwilliam tried to put the boys from the hill under pressure by running the ball wide and kicking to the corners but winger Shane O’Connell and full back JJ Byrnes were always alert to the danger. A good win by Kilfeacle who showed real character on the playing field.


Well, as you might have heard by now it looks like a Division 2 playoff place is almost definitely out of reach.

Following a tough game at Kilballyowen Ballynahinch managed to scrape through with a twenty two points to twenty win on Saturday to clinch their playoff place and consign us to fifth place in the table. While still technically possible, We have Clonakilty at home on the 11th and then we go away to Greystones for the last league phase game of the year on the 18th, Old Crescent would have to Lose to either Highfield at home on the 11th and/or Away to Malone on the 18th and we would have to get max bonus points to be sure.

Saturdays game again had the Bruff Pack dominant, the back line willing to throw the ball around a good bit but a couple of mistakes allowed Ballynahinch to score two tries, and that’s what it was, Bruff mistakes keeping Ballynahinch in the game. To be brutally honest, many felt that this game should have been put to bed by half time, such was the dominance of the Bruff side with the strong wind at their tails but they failed to put the scores on the board when they had their opposition on the rack. With Bruff going ahead after three minutes courtesy of a Brian Cahill, They maintained possession and territory but Ballynahinch latched onto a looping infield pass from the wing to the full back to create a ruck from which Chris Stevenson broke to get try No. 1 duly converted by Ryan Bambry. Finbarr Hogan’s try on 22minutes followed on thirty five minutes by another mistake which allowed Ballynahinch’s Outhalf Bambry in for their Second try which he duly converted. This all meant that Bruff went in at halftime down by Fourteen points to ten despite spending almost all of the first half in the Ballynahinch side of the field.

The second half started with Ballynahinch coming strong and three minutes in they went ahead after a Gareth Rourke try which gave them a 19 points to ten lead. Bruff again fought back however and two minutes later hauled the lead back in a bit courtesy of a three pointer from Cahill. 19-13. This was followed by a ten minute camping out between the Ballynahinch five meter and try lines which eventually led to Captain Cathal O’ Regan crossing the whitewash. The Cahill conversion duly gave Bruff the slenderest of leads but it wasn’t to last long. Three minutes later Bambry knocked over a penalty to give hinch back the lead and despite a massive attack for the remainder of the game by the Bruff team with only an occasional breakout by Hinch they managed to hold on to the two point lead right to the finish.

Final Score Bruff 20- Ballynahinch 22.

Bruff: David Horan, Cathal O’ Regan, Stephen Foster, Alfie Laffan, Maurice O’ Connell, Mike Carroll, Ger Luby, Peter Malone, Eoghan Maher, Brian Cahill, John Moore, John Malone, Andrew Cashman, Finbarr Hogan, Paul O’ Brien Subs: Gearóid Ryan, Mossie O’ Donnell, Padraig Cleary, Garry Leonard

The J1 squad had a fabulous day out in the Munster Senior Seconds League against Young Munster to get themselves into a playoff situation against Highfield, while they have not had a good run this year, things seem to have turned a corner and they are getting back on their feet. Final Score Bruff 30 Munsters 7

The U18’s travelled to Annacotty and had a great win against UL Bohs. Scorers Andrew White (2Tries), Mike Lynch (Try), Richie McAuliffe 2 penalties and 2 conversions.

Again the U13’s followed their league win last week with a deserved victory over Limerick rivals Thomond coming out on the right side of a 25 points to 5 scoreline. Tried from Philip O’ Connell (2), Brendan Keogh, Alex McAuliffe and Tommy O’ Dwyer.


This coming week sees a return to evening rugby with the U16 cup game against St. Mary’s taking place on Wednesday night with a 7:00 pm kickoff.

Saturday sees the MSSL playoff game against Highfield taking place, the venue and time are yet to be confirmed, watch the website for updates.

Webb Cup ¼ Final, Bruff J2 V Old Crescent, 2:30 pm kickoff.

Sunday U15 Cup, Bruff V Scariff, 11:30 am.

There is a Fashion show taking place in the clubhouse on Friday evening and next committee meeting taking place on Monday night next at 8:00 pm.


Bandon Rugby Golf Classic – Date for your Diary – May 15th Bandon Golf Club
On May 15th Bandon Rugby Football Club will hold its 12th Annual Classic in Bandon Golf Club, Castlebernard,
Mens Teams of 3 €200
Ladies Teams of 3 €150
We look forward to this event this year in Bandon Golf Club especially in their centenary Year.
For Details please contact;
Rodney Price @ 023 42203
John"Doc" O’Driscoll @ 023 41924
Jim Riardon @ 023 41724
Full Press Release to Follow

Munster J2 League Cup Quarter Final – Bandon 18 Thomond 14

Bandon: Sean O’Riordon; Dave Hegarty; Kevin Brophy; Brian Galvin; Eoghan O’Donovan; David Aherne; Mark O’Driscoll; John O’Connell; Sean Essex; Phil Murphy; Fiachra Keane; James Neville (c); Colm Keane; James Lyons; Richard Page.
Subs; Tim Crowley; Reggie Sugrue; Neil Canniffe; Pat O’Donnell; Andrew Doyle.

Bandon welcomed Thomond to Old Chapel last Saturday in what turned out to be an extremely close fought encounter. Bandon got off the worst possible start when an attempted clearance was charged down and snapped up by a Thomond player who scored in the corner. The conversion was missed. Bandon responded well with Richard Page and John O’Connell making some charging runs. This pressure eventually saw them awarded a penalty which Kevin Brophy converted to reduce the deficit to two points. Bandon’s next score came when quality ball from a scrum on the right was fed out to the backs. The ball was recycled and flashed out to David Aherne who threw a beautiful dummy to beat his man and dart in under the posts. Aherne also added the conversion to give Bandon a 10-05 lead. Bandon’s discipline was not as good as it should have been and Thomond were awarded a couple of kickable penalties, one of which was converted to leave it 10-08 to Bandon at the break.

The second half also saw Bandon start poorly as another kickable penalty was awarded to Thomond which gave the Limerick side a one point lead. The next twenty minutes saw Bandon with plenty of possession but poor ball retention was proving costly and Thomond always looked dangerous on the counter attack. Bandon eventually regained the lead when good link play between James Neville and Richard Page put Sean O’Riordon into the gap and the full back finished brilliantly in the corner. However Thomond again hit back with another penalty to again make it a one point game going into last fifteen minutes. A couple of huge Brian Galvin penalty kicks to touch saw Bandon gain some vital territory in this period. Bandon went close to a try when James Lyons was held up short of the line. They did not leave empty handed though as David Aherne kicked a timely drop goal to give his side a vital four point cushion. Bandon held onto this lead and ultimately the win in what was below performance. They are now into the semi final of this competition against Garryowen (date and venue tbc) who dispatched Cork Con with some ease in the other quarter final so a much improved performance will be required if they are to advance any further.

Bandon’s next outing will be in the South Munster Cup at home to UCC on the Easter weekend (time and date tbc).


Club Notes, 31 March 2009

Old Crescent travelled to Dublin last Saturday for our AIL match against DLSP in confident mood following a string of recent good results which placed us within sight of a promotion spot. Our loss to DLSP by 20 points to 13 puts promotion out of sight but stills leaves us in contention for a top four place in the play-offs.

Playing into a strong breeze, Old Crescent started brightly and after ten minutes scored a close-in try which was converted by Brian O’Shea. Brian then converted a penalty midway through the first half to put us ten points ahead.

DLSP finally began to use the strong breeze behind them and towards the end of the first half were awarded two penalties in quick succession which they converted. Just when Old Crescent supporters were hoping to hear the half time whistle, SLDP scored a try which the converted to put them in front by 13 points to 10 at half time.

Old Crescent now had the strong breeze behind them and hopes were high for another winning display in the second half. Unfortunately, we failed to use the wind and instead spent long periods playing in our own half when we should have been playing our rugby at the other end of the pitch. To make matters worse, DSLP collected an intercept from another attempt to play out of our own half and went in under the posts for a second try which they converted to put them ten points in front. Crescent were awarded a late penalty to bring the final score to 20 points for DLSP and 13 points for Old Crescent, to salvage a losing bonus point on a disappointing day for the Club.

Our Thirds played Clonmel away in the Webb Cup last Saturday and came away with a hard earned win by 17 points to 6. Crescent opened their scoring with a well worked try by backrow, David O’Neill, which wasn’t converted in the strong breeze. Clonmel converted a penalty to give Crescent a half time lead of 5 points to 3.

The second half was a game of penalties, with Crescent kicked four penalties, all kicked by Brian Clancy, and Clonmel kicking one. All round, it was a good team performance and bodes well for our Thirds in the next round of the Webb Cup against Bruff.

Congratulations to our Under 14’s who beat Garryowen 13 points to nil in their league play-off fixture in Rosbrien on Tuesday evening, they meet Thomond in the next round. Our Under 18’s game was called off.

Old Crescent Under 7’s and Under 8’s hosted Kilfeacle at Rosbrien last Sunday. After impressive displays earlier in the season confidence was high that both Old Crescent teams would record wins, however, Kilfeacle proved to be too skillful and got the better of the Old Crescent teams. The Under 8’s battled extremely hard but were defeated in both their matches, while the Under 7’s bounced back from a defeat in their first match to record a well deserved draw in their second match.

As the season draws to a close, we have a chance to end the season on a positive note next Saturday when our Under 7/8’s take on Shannon and Blackrock (Dublin) in Coonagh. Kick off is at 12.00 noon. This is the last match of the season and we hope that all the Under 7/8’s, who have come out during the year, can make the event as we hope it will be a special day for all.

Fixtures for next weekend
Our Thirds play their next Webb Cup match against Bruff RFC in Bruff at 2.30pm next Saturday. Our Under 20’s play Clonwilliam at home in Rosbrien also at 2.30pm next Saturday.

Shannon Notes week ending April 4th 2009
Well, top eight has been achieved. The first instalment of our multi pronged league goal has been achieved and while it was not the most emphatic of performances against Old Belvedere it was nonetheless, a reasonably contented dressing room after the game. The only negative was the realisation that our concession of a late try relegated us to outside the top four albeit by a slender point’s difference. Never has the league been as tight. The top two are on 45 points and the next three teams on 43 points and sixth on 42. This looks as if it will go right down to the wire with just two games remaining. The most pleasing aspect at this stage is the knowledge that our destiny remains entirely in our own hands. Anyway that’s for next week. Last Saturday’s victory was not as emphatic as we would have liked, but the fact we found ourselves 12 points behind was hardly a reflection of what was going on. Ok, Old Belvedere definitely deserved their first try in the 39th minute, but their second was about as soft as you’d get at this level. It was fractious first half performance, where the error count was low enough but direction and impetus was somewhat dissolved in relation to our ability. Old Belvedere did come close early on to crossing the line , but that was snuffed out and it was only in final 8 minutes of the half did they repeat their efforts to any degree of success. Two yellow cards, one harsh, one probably justified knocked the teams balance to a degree, but hardly an excuse for our 12 point deficit. The wind was another factor in the game and it was decidedly advantageous to our visitors. A pounding of our line resulted in their first try, but the second was just poor defending and lack of concentration. In the absences of the sin binned Tadgh Bennett, Dave O’Donovan knocked over a crucial penalty just before the break and when he repeated his feat on the other side of half time the imputes definitely swung in our favour. We weren’t long eating further into the lead. Eoghan Grace’s positional switch to first centre paid dividends, not only with his try, but his general play. Tadhg added a penalty to stretch the lead and it was reasonably comfortable for a point. An opportunist try of our own from Padraic O’Brien when he benefited from a quick lineout throw more or less secured victory, but it was Belvo who had the last say with a contentious try at the end where two apparent knock ons were over looked. We built him up last week and he certainly didn’t let us down. Frankie Mc Namara’s self imposed exile was triumphantly cut short with a thoroughly justified AIB Man of the Match awardand All he has to do now is repeat that performance four more times including playoffs. Paul Loughnane’s first start in an Aib game was another huge positive and this young man will defiantly continue to make an impact. There’s another break this weekend before the final two games but please bear in mind that we are hoping to host a supporter’s lunch prior to our final game against Dolphin in Thomond Park. If anyone is interested please contact Ger McCloskey on 087 2745926 for bookings.
On Sunday the seconds completed their match programmes when they comprehensively beat Highfield in Coonagh. Having arrived around 20 minutes late and then being informed we were already 28 points up was enough to tell the strength of the opposition. This has been a somewhat fractured season for the seconds with many factors not in their favour, but that’s’ not to take from the fantastic efforts made from everyone involved. The seconds play a vital role as an entity in themselves and as a major backup to the seniors. A big thank you on behalf of the club to Coaches James Hickey and Frankie Mc Namara and manager Danny Bedford.
On Tuesday evening the thirds advanced to the final of the Webb cup with a brilliant win over Young Munster in Derryknockane. The early kickoff of time and other factors saw us short quite a number of our regulars but it didn’t stop those that took the field to rack up an eight point win. By contrast Young Munster fielded a strong side at it took a might effort to break through their defence. Our multi skilled Player/Manager/Coach Tony Flynn was forced to stand in at the unusual position (for him) of outhalf and despite is inexperience he ensured the backline were supplied with plenty of ball. Conor Burke crossed for the try while Fergus Curtin wrapped up the result with a penalty. Before they compete in the final the face UCC this Sunday in Curaheen in the Munster league quarter final with a 3pm start.
Big games are coming thick and fast this weekend with the Ladies side competing in their first All Ireland final for some time. Facing Malahide in the plate final they definitely have a tough challenge but given the growth in their own self confidence throughout the course of the season I’ve no doubt they’ll come home with the silverware. We wish them the very best.
Next Tuesday the U/20’s play Garryowen in a double up match .The North Munster league title is up for grabs as well as advancement to the next round cup. A venue and time has to decided.
The U/18’s put in a brave and battling performance against Ennis in what was tantamount to a league decider, but were unfortunately beaten by a narrow 10 -8 scoreline. Shorn of a plethora of players due to a disappointing interpretation of already sketchy rules pertaining to schools players, the lads that togged out did the club proud and should hold their heads high. This squad has the makings of a superb team and the quality coaching invested them over a long number of years will benefit the club enormously in the coming years. One of the squad members, Ben Sergeant has been selected on the Irish Schools squad that competes in the six nations on Italy over the course of the Easter holidays. A huge honour for Ben and his family and we wish him the very best.
The U/16’s fared a bit better in what was more or less a league final. The U/16 league was sectioned into two groups this year, city and county and with Newcastlewest winners of the county section, our 10-3 win can see the lads claim the league winners title. Kieran Greenwood went over for the first try and Mark Leonard added another in a committed team performance. It was a great way to set themselves on their Tour to Italy this weekend. It’s the furthest and most exotic U/16 tour destination ever and great credit must go to the coaches for their monumental efforts in organising the tour. The days of boat trips to Wales seem a very distant memory these days and I have no doubt the current U/16s will appreciate their adventure.
Fixtures this weekend sees the minis host Blackrock on Saturday and the U/15’s hosting our friends from Ealing. On Sunday morning the 14’s play Young Munster in a league semi final at 12pm and at 11 against the same club the U/13’s play cup rugby. Both games are in Coonagh.


We now have only 2 senior games left this season please come and help support our senior team.

Last weekends Fixtures

Senior XVS Sundays Well 12pts Barnhall 3pts

Moments of inspiration late in the first half by both Sunday’s Well centers David Twohig and Barry Hanrahan helped their side win a crucial match in their bid to avoid the relegation play-off from Division Three of the AIL. The Well side dominated proceedings in the opening period, largely due to their powerful pack. Such was the control they had they should have won by a much bigger margin, but would have been delighted to get the victory and also dent their rivals a bonus point. They demolished the scrums of the Kildare visitors with the superb under Twenties prop Shane Walsh once again proving that he is not only a superb scrummager but also a very strong ball carrier and a had tackler and has improved beyond the clubs expectations of him this season. It is hard to believe that he has not played longer in this position such is his maturity and strength. Mention of "The Bull" was heard at the side line. The return of Captain Declan Coppinger and John Quill also boosted the home side’s credentials and they piled the pressure on Barnhall from the early stages. In the lineout’s Alan Hickey, John Quill and Alan Hickey picked the Barnhall throw ins clean. Despite being on top, they were unable to translate it the scoreboard. Unfortunately for the ‘Well, out-half Chris Burnett was not having his best day with the boot and missed a couple of early penalties. The first of these nearly resulted in a try for Twohig as it rebounded off the post, but the ‘Well centre was unable to hold onto the ball. Twohig made up for this piece of misfortune on thirty-four minutes, as the back-line used the dominance of their pack to create openings. Sean Carlin made an initial burst down the right wing before the ball was spread out. The ‘Well had a large overlap but seeing the alignment of the opposing defence,Twohig backed himself to cut through a gap and raced in from forty metres out. Burnett’s conversion attempt narrowly missed. Barry Hanrahan extended the advantage right at the end of the first half. He firstly made a great burst from deep inside his own half to bring the ball up to the Barnhall Twenty-Two. Although the visitors did turn over the ball at the breakdown, they were unable to gain proper control and the alert Hanrahan pounced on the loose ball to race in under the posts. Burnett’s successful conversion gave his side a 12-3 advantage at the break.

As is often the case, the ‘Well played better into the wind in the first half than they did with it after the break. They still had the better of proceedings and had several opportunities to extend their lead. Gareth Walsh; the Tralee centre who was participating as a dual status player was unable to grab hold of the ball with the line beckoning having just been introduced and prop forward Michael Moynihan looked to have touched down late on after a magnificent forty meters spring but was adjudged to have been held up by the referee. Despite the vocal help from the side lines and the offer to use photographic evidence to prove the try was to be of no avail. Jay Martin O Sullivan playing out of position on the wing was solid in defense and quick in support of the Well attacks. John Stephenson our duel status player from Ballincollig had a very positive impact when he came on. With two games left it is all to play for as the three sides aim to avoid the relegation play-off.

Match reports "A Well Man"

Under 18s Douglas RFC 0 pts Sundays Well 70pts

The Well 18s had a convincing win over Douglas last Saturday playing with a big wind advantage in the first half they decided to run the ball from everywhere and with Jonathan Holland back at out half after a few weeks away with the Ireland u18s they could do no wrong. Our tries came thick and fast with centre Darren Bowles getting 7 and others coming from Jonathan Holland Johnny Leahy Ian Ryan Neil O’Connell and Joe Costello. They now look forward to a cup semi final with Highfield on Good Friday.
Match reports Alec Rose

Under 14s Kanturk RFC 5 pts Sundays Well 24pts

Our U14s travelled to a cold and windy Kanturk last Saturday for the A cup quarter final. These was expected to be a tough match as Kanturk had gone all season without defeat and were already qualified for league final. And what a game it turned out to be. The Well scored first through a try by Eamon Kelliher which was converted by Olan Hanly. At halftime the score was 7-0 to the Well. Both teams started the second half well and Kanturk scored a try with 5 mins gone but failed to convert. The Well came under serious pressure but rose to the challenge and ran in 3 unanswered tries through Olan Hanly. Olan also converted one of these. Final score was a very impressive win for the Well by a score line of 24 to 5.This qualifies our boys for the semi final which is a local derby against Dolphin next Saturday 4th April. All support welcome.

Match reports Ralph O Leary

Under 12s South Munster under 12s Final

For the second time in 3 years Sundays Well U-12 have won the blue riband of mini-rugby, the South Munster Cup , defeating Mallow in a marvellous final at Kinsale on the Sunday last. After their tremendous performances in the city qualifiers, the Well went into Sundays competition with high hopes. Our first opponents were Midleton in the quarter final. The Well were out of traps early, John Poland set up Kevin Flahive for 2 excellent tries, and Colm Connolly added a third before half time. the second half was scoreless and so we advanced on a 3-0 score line to meet last years winners Clonakilty in the semi-final. This was a tough encounter in difficult weather conditions, with 2 Colm Connolly tries in the opening half giving the Well a deserved half time lead. The second half was again scoreless, with our defence and pack playing superbly to contain a gallant Clon outfit. The Well advanced to the final on a 2-0 score line. A strong Mallow team, who defeated a fancied Old Christians in the semi-final, awaited us in the final.
Some words of encouragement in the dressing room before the off, from our Chairman, Brendan Kenneally set the tone for our display in the final.
It is no exaggeration to say this was a marvellous game of rugby, and credit must be given to both sides for an enthralling and sporting contest in difficult weather conditions. Mallow had the better of the opening half without ever looking like scoring, the Well defence and pack again playing superbly.
The second half again was a close affair, but the Well were creating the better openings. With 2 minutes remaining and the game scoreless, Evan O Connell turned over a great ball on his own 22 and fed fly-half John Poland who made a truly dashing run to within 10 metres of the line, to offload to Colm Connolly to touch down in the corner for the winning score. Great defensive work in final 2 minutes denied Mallow an equaliser and the Well recorded a famous victory, for Captain John Bowen to lift the cup.

This was truly a great team effort with all 17 members of the panel showing great determination and playing great rugby in all 3 matches. Great credit is due to coaches Tommy Madden, Mark Poland and Eamonn Dunbar for preparing this team, and getting them to play great rugby.

The panel were, Andrew Ring, Joseph Ring,Andrew Ryan-Crowley, John Bowen. Evan O Connell, Eddie Dunbar,John Poland,Colm Connolly,Kevin Flahive,Evan O Donovan, Sean McCarthy, Aaron Buckley,David o Connor,David Murphy,Ian Coleman,Niall Horgan,Michael Lordan Charlie Greer, Ben Cagney, Elesya Hamza.

We are off to London on next weekend for a series of matches in London Irish, and Reading and it is a great feeling to be going as South Munster champions

Match reports Martin Connolly

Under 11s Sundays Well 4 tries Munster 3 tries

On the main pitch last Saturday our under 11s were divided into two evenly matched sides with Munster playing the Well. In a fast open game helped by the superb turf both teams displayed the style of rugby we have come to expect from them. With many parents looking on their children did them proud. In a game of seven tries Munster just managed to pip the Well in the last play of the game. Sam Dean continues to strive to be a Prop/Out half with a good game Cian O Donavan Matthew Anthony Robert Locke Alex Johns Darragh O Donovan Jason O Callaghan and Fionn O Connor all displayed very good and improved rugby skills. This led to some quality tackles and some committed line breaks, with ball in hand both sets of backs looked sharp and with eight man scrums (with no pushing) the teams looked as if they were already prepared for the kind of rugby they will be playing next season. The packs really looked positive and their mauling and rucking set the scene for the senior players who were looking on as they warmed up and were heard to cheer on our players. Our Lads then lined out on our side of the pitch near the club and cheered and clapped our senior team onto the pitch and to a well deserved victory.

Match reports Brendan Keneally

Under 10s Sundays Well 2 tries Sundays Well 1 try

Befitting the main pitch at Musgrave Park, the U10s had trials for next week’s Midleton rugby festival. Two evenly matched teams contested a tight match, all players taking part and keen to catch the selectors’ attention! In blustery conditions and with the added handicap of each team taking turns to wear the oversized green bibs (!), both teams gave their all. With a good turnout of parents lending their vocal support, Sundays Well ran out the winners by 2 tries to 1!

Overall, the excitement of playing on the main pitch and with one eye on next week’s tournament, the players have given themselves a great chance of performing well next week. Watch this space!

Match reports Tim Butler

Under 8s Sundays Well tries Munster tries

The under 8’s provided a very entertaining match on the main pitch last Saturday when the Munster selection took on the ‘Well selection which ended in a draw, 8 tries each. Clearly motivated by playing on "Munster’s pitch" and with vocal support from a large number of parents, the boys upped their performance and played a very entertaining game.

Many thanks to all the people who came out to support the boys and helped to make this a special occasion for the lads.
Match reports Diarmud Quinn

Under 7s Sundays Well 4 tries Munster 4 tries

Word travels fast in these here parts. The Sunday’s Well under 7s squad has been putting in tough training sessions over the last few weeks, with an emphasis on co-ordination, speed work and tackling. And so the recent invitation by the Youth Section Chairman to put on an exhibition match in the holy ground of Musgrave Park was eagerly snapped at by the players – on the day, the sunshine, the grass-covered floor and promise of chocolate and crisps afterwards were inconsequential bonuses.

A massive turnout of 26 kids meant we were heading for a 13-a-side mini game, but somehow the kids kept getting the better of selector Brendan Deane and having 14 v. 12 despite his best efforts to balance the sides. Eventually equilibrium was reached and 13 proud ‘Well boys faced up to 13 maniacal Munster boys and paraded onto the emerald sea of luxuriously-lawned pasture and down to the far end – so that our spectators could enjoy the match from the temporary seating on the West side we had especially installed.

At the off (and before), no quarter was given, with recipients of the passed ball also being abruptly "greeted" by their colleagues in the opposing jumpers. There was great determination from all players, and on numerous occasions the 20-man maul rolled from mid-way towards one try line and back again to the other. Sometimes there was even a ball in their midst. No ELVs needed here, thanks very much.

Our recent emphasis on tackling practice was shown to be effective, with a low-scoring game and equal opportunities, but few, on both sides. New Deputy Chief Assistant Coach (Attack) Tommy O’Kelly, lured out of retirement by the prospect of glory in the 2014 under 12s South Munster Championships, was heard to be exhorting the players on both sides to share the ball and give everyone a run. And they did, they displayed all the characteristics of two close-knit teams; there were a few break-away runs and some barge-throughs, but generally everyone was working together and keeping the pressure on. Eventually the game finished up 4 to the Well and 4 to Munster. These are a great bunch of kids, all with bright futures.

And then it was onto chocolate and face painting……and the senior Game.
Match reports Damian Arrigan

Club News.
Darragh McKenzie wins first prize in the "Bring a Banner Competition" last weekend and wins a Club Jersey presented by Mr. Billy Alwell.


DFP – Right Column – HalfPage


DFP – Right Column – MPU

Related News