DFP Header Area

Share this MunsterRugby.ie page

Club News w/c 14/03

17th March 2009 By Munster Rugby

Club News w/c 14/03

Club news around the Province for week ending 15th March


Killorglin Rugby Club’s under 16 team took the field against Corca Dhuibhne RFC on Sunday last in the West Munster Cup. In a fantastic game of rugby, Killorglin narrowly lost out to their West Kerry counterparts on a scoreline of 12-7. Killorglin played some exciting rugby during the course of the match with some stellar performances. Stand out players included prop Kevin McEnery, who held is own in the scrum against a much heavier opponent. Out half Donagh McGillicuddy gave his usual inspiring performance, but the man of the match must be given to Bryan O’Sullivan from fullback. The Kilderry man was outstanding at the back, putting in 60 metre clearing kicks when most needed & was the main contributor in the move of the match. He caught a ball at the half way line just millimetres from the touchline and side-stepped two Corca Dhuibhne players, ploughed over another and when eventually caught he gave a superb offload pass to second row Pieter Homan for Killorglin’s only try. There were three key players unable to play on Sunday & were very much missed by their teammates. These players were team captain Patrick Kilkenny who took the field for the Intermediate School in the Corn Ui Mhuiri final on Tuesday, prop Darragh Woods & scrum half Nathan Breen who picked up injuries last week. Unfortunately, with defeat, this team’s season has come to an end. In a season where results did not always go their way, Killorglin played some exciting rugby and left their coaches very happy with their progression & they thank them for all their efforts this season. Hopefully we will see all of them on the field again when the 09/10 season starts again in September.
Killorglin U16 v Corca Dhuibhne: – 1 Kevin McEnery, 2 David Richards, 3 Conor O’Brien, 4 Gary Griffin, 5 Pieter Homan, 6 Stephen Roche, 7 James Tuohy, 8 Peter Mullins, 9 Tadhg Prendiville, 10 Donagh McGillicuddy, 11 James Carey, 12 Cormac Johnston, 13 Patrick Croke, 14 Peter Cotter, 15 Bryan O’Sullivan.
Subs: – Keelan McGillicuddy, Kenneth Rogan.
Senior Team Training continues every Tuesday & Friday at 7pm at the Dragon’s Den All weather pitch.


Again with a fabulous result from a tougher than we thought game on the international front last weekend and John Hayes gaining the record for Irish caps, there wasn’t a load of stuff on the domestic front at the weekend. Last week saw visits from RTE, TV3 and TG4 to the club, celebrating the record achievement of our own John Hayes and a good number of people turned out to see the recordings on Wednesday and Thursday.

The 3rd XV did have a good run out in the Webb cup going into Fitzgerald park to come away with a win. The Bruff side were ahead at half time and with ten minutes or so left on the clock Thomond fought back to kick a penalty to level the game at 11 all. In the last minute of play, Bruff’s Niall McCarthy ran in the winning try with Richie McAuliffe converting to put a gloss on it. Scorers on the day Mike Fitzgerald (1T), Niall McCarthy (1T) and Richie McAuliffe (2 pens and 1 conv.). Final Score Bruff 18, Thomond 11.


The U13 squad travelled to Scariff for a great win to put them level with Garryowen at the top of the League. This will involve a playoff final for the league to be confirmed later. Scores from Kevin Hosford (T), Philip O’ Connell (T), Graham Whelan (T & 2 Conv.) and Shane Doonagh (T). Final Score Bruff 24, Scariff 5.

U16 F, Bruff 35 St. Senans 3,

U18 F, Thomond 19, Bruff 5,

U14 Garryowen 27 Bruff 0.

The next committee meeting will take place on Monday night next at 8:00 pm. Keep an eye on the website for fixtures etc.

Richard Leonard,

P.R.O. Bruff R.F.C.


UL Bohemian RFC
Rugby Notes
Weekending 15th Mar 2009
Denis Ryan

The road back to Limerick from Temple Hill has often echoed to stories of what might have been, but on this occasion the UL Bohs contingent were very satisfied after a solid 20-11 victory over Cork Cons in the Munster Junior Cup. The home side won the title last season, and on the way had beaten UL Bohs by a point when a failed conversion attempt proved vital. This time around, however, the visitors made no mistake as they battle on for a trophy which has eluded the club for many generations.
UL Bohs settled down quickly and took the game to Con, and seemed to be in control when Fergal Lawler put over a penalty to open a 3-0 lead. A period of Cork Con pressure, leading up to the break, saw an attempted clearance charged down and a home player reacted first to touch down for an unconverted try.
Shortly after the restart, Cons put over a penalty to increase the margin to 8-3 in their favour before David Moloney did what appears to be a regular occurrence, and crossed for a try which Fergal Lawler converted to make it 10-8 to UL Bohs. A further penalty by Lawler increased the lead to 13-8, before Ross Butler touched down for a well worked try, again converted by Lawler. UL Bohs comfortably withstood any Cons attacks from then on, and a late penalty from the home side was too late to create any panic. UL Bohs now go on to meet Tralee in the semi-final. This will take place in Dooradoyle on Sunday.
Holders UL Bohs U-20s took a solid step to advancing in the All Ireland title race when accounting for Corinthians by 35-0 in the play-off game in Annacotty. Despite some injuries, a strong team took the field, and this was proven when Peter Boland touched down for a try within five minutes, following good work by backs and forwards. A Darragh Frawley penalty added to the score before Jason Organ crossed for another well worked try. A try by Mark Doyle and a penalty by Ian Cross saw UL Bohs lead by 23-0 at the break. In the second half, the visitors put some good moves together but could not find a way through the UL Bohs defence. Further tries from Andrew Hyde and Sean Rennison, with a conversion by Harry de Stackpoole brought the final score to 35-0. Others to shine in what was a very competent display were, Brian O’Hara, Eddie Rossiter and James Burton in the pack, while Ian Cross, Andrew Hyde and Finbar Ryan stood out in the backs. Our quarter final opponents from the other conferences have not yet been decided, but check for latest news on http://www.ulbohs.com/ Well done to the Ireland women’s team which had another good 23-0 win over Scotland. The club is very proud of the large UL Bohemian representation in the side.
The U-6s took to the road when they played in Garryowen, and had a great outing in beautiful weather. Check the photos of these stars of the future on the website.



We now have only 3 senior games left this season and only 1 HOME Game.

All Mini rugby and youths rugby players and Parents are invited to turn out for our last senior home game of the season versus Barnhall RFC 28/3/09. Free entry for all Well underage members and parents wearing Sundays Well colours There will be spot prizes for the best Banner supporting the Well and goody bags for mini rugby players, more news to follow

Sundays Well Banbridge Barnhall

Barnhall 28/3 (H) Ards (A) 28/3 S Well 28/3 (A)

Suttonians 11/4 (A) Nenagh (H) 11/4 O Wesley 11/4 (H)

O Wesley 18/4 (A) W’park (A) 18/4 Rainey OB 18/4 (A)

THE FINAL OF THE U20S CUP Versus U.C.C. goes ahead next MONDAY NIGHT @ 7.30pm Under lights Musgrave Park

Last weekends


Under 20s Highfield 0 pts Sundays Well 42pts

Sundays Well Under 20’s won comfortably against Highfield 42-0 last Saturday to reach the Under-20 South Munster Cup Final. The Well took the innovative from the start by creating a number phases to bring the play to the Highfield try line where Shane Walsh bulldozed over. They continued their good start, against a strong breeze, and scored again through another well worked score by Chris O’Sullivan. The Well were well on top now and any possession Highfield had was stopped by a well organized defense. Shane Walsh scored again with another typical bursting run to finish off a strong first half. The second half started like the first with the Well playing good patient rugby going through a number of phases. This lead to tries to Jason O’Sullivan, who had a superb game, and lovely first phase try to Stephen Creagh. The game then became scrappy with a number of mistakes occurring in the game, as well as uncontested scrums and a number of substitutions. James O’Sullivan did come on to score a try which was laid on plate by Brian O’Donovan. Cormac Horgan converted the try, as he did with all of them, to finish with a 100% record. Sundays Well played some very good rugby, but they know they will face a tougher test in the final against UCC on Monday 23rd March at 7.30pm in Musgrave Park

Match Reports Stephen Kilroy

Under 18s Sundays Well 40pts Kanturk RFC 13pts

The U18’s advance to the semi final of the cup with a comprehensive victory over Kanturk in Musgrave Park last week! Playing into a strong breeze in the first half, Darren Bowles scored a great individual try after just two minutes which Luke ( The Boot ) Duffy converted to leave the score 7-0. However, the big Kanturk pack fought their way back up the pitch to score a try under the posts to leave the score 7-7. Two further tries in the first half came from Ian Ryan and Lee Martin Sullivan, both converted by Duffy which left the score 21-7 at half time. The second half saw the Well playing into a strong wind as they decided to run the ball from everywhere. Peter Arigo got the next try which killed off Kanturk. Two further tries from Luke Duffy and Neil O’ Connell saw the Well run out comfortable winners .They must now await the result of the Mallow Vs Highfield game, to see who there opponents will be in the semi-final. Away Da Well!

Match reports Alec Rose

Under 16s Mallow RFC 30 pts Sundays Well 7pts

No match report received.

Club News.
Members and Players

Dinner Dance:
Joe Moynihan has asked me to thank everybody who attended the members and players night out in Maryborough House Hotel and Spa. He also wanted to thank all the very generous people who gave spot prizes and helped make the evening as successful as it was.

He also wanted to thank Lifeimi Mafi and Donacha Ryan for attending and thanked Donacha for giving a Munster Players jersey signed by all the Munster players


Nenagh Ormond RFC Notes for Weekend 14th and 15th March 2009

No Senior XV fixture last week. The next AIL game is at home to Midleton on 28th March at 2.30pm.

Junior Cup
Garryowen 33 – Nenagh Ormond 20
Nenagh put up a brave performance in Dooradoyle on Sunday last but ultimately came up short in the quarter final of the Munster junior cup. Nenagh started badly and looking back on the game will rue the scores that were presented to Garryowen and which ultimately turned out to be the difference between the sides. Nenagh got off to a slow start. Garryowen played with the breeze and were quick off the blocks. Nenagh were put under strong early pressure and conceded two penalties while they were very much on the back foot.

The Garryowen pack in particular were huge and out weighed their Nenagh opponents. They were creating havoc at the break down and Nenagh found it hard to get their hands on the ball. When they did get their hands on the ball they were pressurised into turning it over again. Nenagh did get a drop goal with a sole foray into the Garryowen half but ultimately Garryowen came back that bit stronger and scored an excellent try from their very speedy full back which was converted to leave the score at 13 – 3.

Half time would have been an opportunity to regroup. Nenagh came more into the game as the half wore on. However the second half got off to a very poor start. Garryowen were pressing and an excellent Nenagh defence robbed the ball and when Nenagh attempted to break out of their own 22 and counter attack a loose pass fell to the Garryowen prop who went to ground straight in under the post. This was a terrible start to the second half and Nenagh were now down 20 points to 3. Nenagh to their credit came more into the game, particularly in the forwards. Their set pieces functioned very well and they were rewarded with a penalty to bring matters to 20 points to 6. However the break away try from loose play meant that Garryowen pushed their lead further to 27 points. Garryowen added a further try from strong play from their back row off the back of the scrum. To their credit Nenagh refused to lie down and were rewarded with two trys of their own through Alan Jackson and Keith Quigley. It was no more than Nenagh deserved for their efforts. There was a final score of 33 point to 20 and on reflection there were soft scores that were handed particularly the one after half time were a killer. Nenagh had performed excellently in this competition and have maintained the fine tradition that Nenagh teams have always shown to many. The Munster Junior cup is still the holy grail and the Nenagh team let nobody down in their efforts to achieve this. Garryowen will take some stopping in this competition.

D. Dunne, C.Ryan, S. Killeen, J. Moloney, M. Slattery, B. William, K.Quigley, E. Woods, E. Gardiner ( Captain), D. Fogarty, P. Breen, K O’Meara, B. Maxwell, A Jackson
T Kenneally


Nenagh Ladies had no match last weekend. Training continues Wednesdays and Fridays at 7:30. New players always welcome, contact Louise on 087-2201596.

Nenagh 39 Cashel 8

Nenagh Win U20 North Munster League

Nenagh secured the North Munster League at Lisatunny on Saturday last with a comprehensive display and now go forward to contest the Munster semi final. Nenagh needed a winning bonus point to be sure of top spot and this was secured with five second half tries. Playing against the breeze in the first half Nenagh took the game to Cashel with the forwards providing a supply of quick ball to set the back away. Following a good drive by Kieran Mc Cann and Jamie Quigley Cashel were penalised at the ruck and Dan Fogarty slotted the penalty. Cashel came back strongly but some big tackles by Darren Ahern and Shane Quinlan set the tone for the day and Cashels only reward for the pressure was a penalty which was converted to level matters. Nenagh worked their way back into scoring range and Dan Fogarty kicked a wonderful drop goal against the wind from thirty metres to put Nenagh in front at the break. With wind advantage in the second half Nenagh played the corners and following a series of pick and drives by the pack Josh Fletcher barged over to score with Fogarty adding the conversion. The second try came from good interplay between backs and forwards and Justin Conroy sliced through the cover to score beside the posts. The third try was beautifully executed with an inch perfect cross field kick from Dan Fogarty to Robert Duff who jumped to gather and side step the full back to score. With fifteen minutes remaining the bonus point was secured when Andrew Kelly fed ball of the top of the line out to set the backs away and Justin Conroy this time made an outside break to score. Jeff McDonald finished the Nenagh scoring when he broke from a ruck outside the twenty two to score under the posts. Cashel got a consolation try in injury time to finish matters. This was Nenagh’s best team performance of the season and one of which the whole squad can be proud. The Nenagh pack were determined and had the greater hunger for the battle while the backs have the skill and pace to make life difficult for the opposition. The players now look forward to a Munster semi final and await news of our opposition.

Panel: Keith Purcell, Michael Lynch, Kieran Mc Cann, Josh Fletcher, Andrew Kelly, David Cleary, Jamie Quigley, Michael Harding, John Coffey, Damien Cahalan, Eddie Gleeson, Paudie Maxwell, Jeff Mc Donald (Capt), Dan Fogarty, Shane Quinlan, Darren Ahern, Justin Conroy, Robert Duff, Steven Harvey, Leslie Hayes, Gavin McAvinchey, Michael Long, Fergal Hayes, Rory Whelan


Under 18s
Everybody in Nenagh Ormond RFC would like to wish our Under 18s all the best when they play Highfield in the Munster decider in the grounds of Cork Institute of Technology on St.Patricks Day at 2pm. The game will be over when this article goes to print but we hope that the lads will have a good win under their belt by then !

Under 13s
Nenagh Ormond Under 13s played Ul Bohemians in a friendly last Friday night. The game was played in Lisatunny under lights in perfect conditions for rugby. Both teams got off to a good start. Nenagh worked the ball well and out of their own half Graham White made a great run up the wing to score a very well taken try in the corner with the extras being added by Killian Gleeson. Both sides continued to play good attacking rugby for the remainder of the first half, no further points were scored however and at half time it was 7 – 0 to Nenagh. In the second half Bohs applied a lot of pressure and also had the aid of a strong breeze. Nenagh were on the back foot and a kick down field put our defence under pressure, the ball was kicked ahead and Bohs got in for their first try, which they also converted. They followed soon after with another converted try but the character of this young Nenagh side showed through as they didn’t give up but kept plugging at it and got in for another try which was also converted. Full time score 14 – 14. This was good preparation for the lads to help them get ready for the semi-final that awaits them against Dungarvan.

Under 14s
On Sunday morning Young Munster travelled to Nenagh for a friendly against our under 14s. They had a very big physical team, but Nenagh were first to score. Both teams played good open rugby for the first half of the game. The weather conditions were excellent and all seemed to be enjoying the run out. Half time score 5 – 7 to Young Munster. Within 10 minutes of the restart, Young Munster got a try to make it 5 – 14, soon after that they got another one which was unconverted and brought the score to 5 – 19. The Nenagh lads didn’t give up though, what they might have been missing in size they more than made up for with their handling and tackling skills and their excellent support play. They kept pressing and eventually were rewarded by a try in the corner from Killian Buckley. A number of new players tried out on the day and they all acquitted themselves very well, putting themselves in the running for starting places.

Training continues as normal on Wednesday and Friday nights in Tyone at 7pm sharp. It is important at this stage of the season for everyone to attend training sessions as we reach the final stages of the competitions. Fixtures for next week will be notified at training.

Shannon Notes Week ending March 21st 2009

St Patricks Day in Cork promised so much for our senior side. The Sun was unusually shining, we had a few of our Munster players in tow and the confidence was high. However 25 seconds after the start of the start of the game, that confidence seemed a little misplaced as we headed under the posts after Alan Lewis awarded Cork Con a penalty try. That it was a penalty try, there was little doubt and the subsequent 12 minutes further demonstrated our rather pedantic start to the game. Silly mistakes and costly indiscipline gave Con another 6 points before we even sniffed the ball. If Con had taken some more of their opportunities a meltdown may well have been on the cards, but, and it’s a big but, this team would never capitulate in such a manner, it’s just not in their makeup. The considerable wind was to play a big role in the proceedings with the home side taking advantage in the first half. Whilst not a gale, it was of enough strength to ensure any progression and territorial gains we would make were very hard earned. Slowly though, composure was regained and Tadgh landed a penalty. Towards the end of the half we pushed for a try , but again knock ons cost us dearly and despite Con being reduced earlier to 14 men we couldn’t capitalise.

The biggest plus of the day was without doubt the second half performance of the lads. They battled and battered their way back into contention and as we pummelled the line in the final 15 minutes we just couldn’t satisfy Mr Lewis as to the grounding of the ball. The shuffling of our back line after Fiach O’Loughlin was injured did hamper us a little, however Dunny performed admirably when called up to the base of the scrum , while Niall Ronan’s move to the backs wasn’t altogether disadvantageous.

The fact that Con didn’t score in the second half is a testament to the effort of the lads put in and unfortunately the only reward garnered was a losing bonus point which when the final tally is totted up it could well prove invaluable.

Three games to go, lying in third place is not so bad but as the season draws to a conclusion each of these three games will have a major bearing on our title aspirations. Next up in the AIL is Old Belvedere in Coonagh next Saturday 28th and in Saturday they play Bruff in a friendly in Coonagh at 12.30. Immediately prior to the Old Belvedere we hope to reinstate the supporters lunches in the club house, numbers permitting. A four course meal and a glass of wine costs a mere €15 and anyone interested should contact Ger Mc Closkey immediately on 087 2745926.

The thirds had a superb win over St Marys in the Webb cup last Saturday in Coonagh by 19 points to seven but despite the healthy scoreline, it wasn’t all one way traffic. The lads were made to work hard for their win against a tenacious St Marys side who never gave up the ghost. Ciaran O’Connor crossed for a fine try late in the first half to give us the lead and a much more dominant second half display closed out the game. Two more tries, both superb efforts wrapped up the result. Fintan Meehan intercepted a loose pass and sprinted over the line and then prop TJ Renihan scored a brilliant individual try. He received the ball close to the half way line and sold two outrageous dummies to clear his way to the line. Denis Guiltinane converted before St Marys added a consolation try towards the end of the game. This Saturday they are in Mc Inerney Cup action when Bruff come to Coonagh for a 2.30 start.

The Seconds are scheduled to host to Highfield on Sunday at 2.30 while also on Sunday the ladies play Young Munster in the Plate semi final of the All Ireland league in Greenfields at 12pm. The U/20 Nth Munster final scheduled for last Wednesday evening was postponed and will be refixed in the coming weeks.

In their last match of the league section the U/14’s suffered their first defeat of the season when Old Crescent beat them narrowly by 5 points to 3. Our victors were very well organised and the lads had great difficulty in breaking them down. Ronan McKenna scored our only points with a penalty right on the stroke of half time and despite a huge effort the just couldn’t get a winner. They still qualify for the semi finals though and will face Young Munster in the coming weeks.

A reminder to all that the Presidents night takes place on April 3rd and tickets are available from Martin Clancy, Gerry Ryan (086 0618333) and Tommy Rowan (087 7979574)


DFP – Right Column – HalfPage


DFP – Right Column – MPU

Related News

Watch our first interview with new Attack Coach Mike Prendergast as he returned to the province this summer from Top 14 side Racing 92, where...