Ireland Team Named For Series Decider
21st June 2018 By The Editor
The Ireland team to face Australia in Saturday’s Series decider has been named by Head Coach Joe Schmidt.
Peter O’Mahony will captain the team from the openside flank and is joined in the backrow by CJ Stander at blindside and Jack Conan at No.8.
James Ryan and Devin Toner continue in the second row with Jack McGrath, Sean Cronin and Tadhg Furlong in the front row.
Rob Kearney is joined in the backfield by Jacob Stockdale and Keith Earls. Robbie Henshaw reverts to outside centre with Bundee Aki lining out in the No. 12 jersey. Conor Murray and Johnny Sexton fill the halfback spots.
The replacements named are Niall Scannell, Cian Healy, John Ryan, Tadhg Beirne, Jordi Murphy, Kieran Marmion, Ross Byrne and Jordan Larmour.
Commenting on the team selection, Joe Schmidt said: “There were a number who couldn’t train on Tuesday which affected how the players would have kicked on in the starting 15. Andrew Conway is still debilitated by that hip pointer in the action of him scoring the try early in the second Test.
“I thought Peter did really well over the ball last week, it’s something that he’s very capable of doing. (The back row) maintains the lineout presence that he offers, the leadership that he’s brought to the team through this series.
“With Dan Leavy unavailable, it was probably just an opportunity for Jack Conan to get in at number 8. Once he was in at number 8 and trying to maintain a bit of continuity through the spine of the team, CJ Stander shifted to six and Peter to seven.”
Ireland squad (v Australia, Allianz Stadium, Sydney, Saturday June 23, kick off 8.05pm/11.05 am Irish time)
15. Rob Kearney (UCD/Leinster) 85 caps
14. Keith Earls (Young Munster/Munster) 69 caps
13. Robbie Henshaw (Buccaneers/Leinster) 35 caps
12. Bundee Aki (Galwegians/Connacht) 8 caps
11. Jacob Stockdale (Ballynahinch/Ulster) 10 caps
10. Johnny Sexton (St Mary’s College/Leinster) 75 caps
9. Conor Murray (Garryowen/Munster) 66 caps
1. Jack McGrath (St Mary’s College/Leinster) 49 caps
2. Sean Cronin (St Mary’s College/Leinster) 62 caps
3. Tadhg Furlong (Clontarf/Leinster) 25 caps
4. Devin Toner (Lansdowne/Leinster) 59 caps
5. James Ryan (UCD/Leinster) 10 caps
6. CJ Stander (Shannon/Munster) 25 caps
7. Peter O’Mahony (Cork Constitution/Munster) 49 caps (Captain)
8. Jack Conan (Old Belvedere/Leinster) 8 caps
16. Niall Scannell (Dolphin/Munster) 8 caps
17. Cian Healy (Clontarf/Leinster) 80 caps
18. John Ryan (Cork Constitution/Munster) 14 caps
19. Tadhg Beirne (Scarlets) 1 cap
20. Jordi Murphy (Lansdowne/Leinster) 22 caps
21. Kieran Marmion (Corinthians/Connacht) 22 caps
22. Ross Byrne (UCD/Leinster) uncapped
23. Jordan Larmour (St Mary’s College/Leinster) 5 caps