DFP Header Area

Share this MunsterRugby.ie page


14th March 2005 By Munster Rugby


Cork Constitution, Crosshaven, UCC and defending champions Nenagh Ormond were victorious in the weekend s Heineken Munster Junior Cup Quarter Finals


Results: Cork Constitution 23 Garryowen 13 (aet) Crosshaven 16 Clanwilliam 3 Kilfeacle 22 UCC 27 Nenagh Ormond 20 Dolphin 15

Cork Constitution defeated Garryowen and secured their Munster Junior Cup semi final place with a 23-13 score line. Garryowen opened the scoring after winger Jamie Carroll, with Anthony Carroll adding another five points after a superb individual try. Cork Con came back before half time with a drop goal by Daragh Lyons to bring the score to 10-3 at half time. After the restart, a rejuvenated Cork Con levelled the score when Niall Kenneally scored, which was converted by Daragh Lyons. Garryowen s Ciaran O Boyle edged Garryowen ahead once more with a penalty, but Daragh Lyons levelled the game shortly after, setting up an exciting finale. At normal time, the score line read 13 apiece. In extra time, Cork Con Niall Kenneally added a second try to his tally. Cork Con held on, and finished the game with captain Dave O Brien going over to seal the victory. Cork Constitution will face Crosshaven on Easter Sunday at Musgrave Park in what promises to be an exciting clash.

Crosshaven had a 16-3 victory over Clanwilliam at Myrtleville, with the outstanding Richie Daly giving the home side a 6-0 at half time after two penalties. After the restart, Clanwilliam s Brian Maguire missed an early penalty, but brought his team within three points of Crosshaven shortly after when another penalty found its target. Daly came back for Crosshaven, who kicked another penalty to regain the six point margin once again. Ross O Connell sealed the victory for Crosshaven with the only try of the game to set up the semi final clash with Cork Constitution.

UCC became the third Cork team to make the semi finals after a rousing 27-22 win over Kilfeacle. In the opening minutes of the game, Michael Essex touched down for the college, which was converted by Gareth Williams. Kilfeacle came back with Ian Costello scoring a penalty. UCC continued to make headway however, with tries from Padraig Kilcoyne, and another from Michael Essex which was converted. Kilfeacle came back with a try from Pierce Breen with Costello adding the conversion. Despite Kilfeacle coming back with anther two tries, a conversion and a penalty in the second half, it was not enough to overtake UCC, who will now face defending champions Kilfeacle in the semi final.

Nenagh Ormond advanced after a narrow 20-15 win over Dolphin. For Nenagh Ormond, Trevor Powell scored two tries, converted by Liam Delaney. Barry O Neill scored for Dolphin, which was converted by Donnacha Keeshan. At half time, Nenagh Ormond were leading 14-7. After the restart, Nenagh Ormond stretched their lead with John Keenan scoring a drop goal and a penalty. Gary O Keeffe scored for Dolphin with Keeshan converting once again. It wasn t enough though to unseat the champions, who are on course to defend their title.

Semi finals Nenagh Ormond v UCC (Limerick venue tbd) Cork Constitution v Crosshaven (Musgrave Park)


DFP – Right Column – HalfPage


DFP – Right Column – MPU

Related News

Take a look at the stats from the 2023/24 season which saw the Munster's Women's squad reach the Interpro final and the men's squad reach...