DFP Header Area

Share this MunsterRugby.ie page

Munster Remain Unbeaten In Celtic League

20th September 2002 By Munster Rugby

Munster Remain Unbeaten In Celtic League

Munster retain their 100% record in this years Celtic League with a win over Swansea in Musgrave Park. Munster tries from Lawlor, Crotty & Prendergast and solid kicking by Staunton ensured the win.

Munster retain their 100% record in this years Celtic League with a magnificent win over Swansea in Musgrave Park. Munster tries from Lawlor, Crotty & Prendergast and solid kicking by Staunton ensured the Munster win.

The scoring started early with Swansea out-half with Arwell Thomas kicking a drop goal in the second minute of play to give Swansea a 3-0 lead.They enjoyed the lead for a full five minutes before Jeremy Staunton responded with penalty kick to take sides to 3-3. It was not long before Munster took the lead, in the 10th minute a high tackle on Mick O’Driscoll gave Staunton another penalty which he made sure to turn into another 3 points. More dangerous play by Swansea saw Jason Holland receive a bad knock, but Staunton soon ended any pain with another fine kick to give Munster a 9-3 lead (17th min).

Unfortunately three minutes later Mick O’Driscoll received another high tackle inside Swansea’s 22 and what looked like a “head lock” by the Swansea no. 5 James Griffiths, at this stage it looked like it was going to be a scrappy game, Staunton now had another chance at goal, to which he responded positively to take the score to 12-3 in Munsters favour. In the 24th minute Staunton stepped up for another penalty which this time was a lot more difficult, from inside his own half Staunton took a crack at goal, a kick which had the distance but unfortunately swayed to the right of the post.

Munster were putting pressure on Swansea and it was only a matter of time before they got over the line, in the 39th minute, a lovely pass out the line by Mike Prendergast to Jason Holland, who in turn tapped out to Mossie Lawlor, who made sure to touch down. A try which was converted by Staunton saw the first half end with Munster now in a commanding lead of 19 points to 3. The first half saw solid out of hand kicking from Killian Keane, good line-out jumping by Mick O’Driscoll, Dominic Crotty making his presence felt out on the wing and impressive play by Rob Laffan in the scrums.

The second half started with a bang with Dominic Crotty intercepting a Swansea pass, and make a run from his own 22, it looked as if he wasnt going to make it to the line, but a lovely step in field, made sure of a great try. Staunton missed the conversion from the sideline, score – Munster 24 Swansea 3. Crotts was now well settled into his position on the wing, and he quickly re-iterated that fact with another try in the 51st minute following a pass from Mullins and strong Munster pressure. Staunton this time did manage to convert Crotty’s try with a little help from the upright. Munster now seeming to run away with the game, with a 28 point lead (31-3).

In the 64th minute of play, it was now the turn of Swansea to add some points to the board, some terrific Swansea pressure on the Munster line, saw Arwell Thomas touch down for a try, which he then converted, 31-10. The 70th minute saw some replacemtents to the Munster team, with John O’Neill replacing Mossie Lawlor and Colm McMahon replacing Denis Leamy.

While the changes were being made Swansea’s Steve Winn went over the Munster line for a try and it was converted by Thomas, score now 31-15 and more action to come, in the 78th minute Munster scrum-half Mike Prendergast showed great vision as he picked up the ball from a ruck and went over the Swansea line, try converted by Staunton, score 38-15. In the closing minute of normal time Munster made more changes with Dom Malone replacing Mike Prendergast who played very well at scrum-half, and proved that there is very little between himself and Dom. Trevor Hogan replaced Mick Galway and Cian Mahony replaced Mike Mullins. One would have thought the game was now at an end, but Swansea were not finished yet, in extra time, tries from Ganvin Henson and Colin Charvis and one conversion from Arwell Thomas, saw the game end Munster 38 Swansea 27.


Tries: MunsterMossie Lawlor, Dominic Crotty (2), Mike Prendergast. Swansea – Arwell Thomas, Steve Winn, Gavin Henson, Colin Charvis.

Cons: Munster – Jeremy Staunton (3). Swansea – Arwell Thomas (2).

Penalties: Munster – Jeremy Staunton (4).

Drop Goals: Swansea – Arwell Thomas.



J Staunton, M Lawlor, M Mullins, J Holland, D Crotty, K Keane, M Prendergast, S Kerr, F Sheahan, R Laffan, M Galwey, M O’Driscoll, E Halvey, D Leamy, J Williams (Capt.)

Replacements: W O’kelly, J blaney, T Hogan, C McMahon, D Malone, C Mahony J O’Neill.


1. Darren Morris 2. Garin Jenkins 3. Ben Evans 4. John Slade 5. James Griffiths 6. Rory Jenkins 7. Colin Charvis 8. James Bater 9. Sam Cordingley 10. Arwel Thomas 11. Matthew Robinson 12. Mark Taylor 13. Steve Winn 14. Gavin Henson 15. Shaun Payne 16. Rhodri Jones 17. Johnny Vaughton 18. Christian Balshen 19. Dan Dorsey 20. Steve Pope 21. Andrew Farley 22. James Bater.

Final Score – Munster 38 Swansea 27



DFP – Right Column – HalfPage


DFP – Right Column – MPU

Related News

Munster secured a hard-earned 26-29 bonus-point win against Edinburgh to secure a home quarter-final with one game of the regular season to go. It was...