The Munster Rugby Academy is a new initiative to prepare young players for life in and beyond professional rugby. Our goal is to provide a select group of young players with:
• The skills, discipline, knowledge and attitude needed to succeed at Celtic league and Heineken Cup level. Hopefully, it will also put them on course for even higher honours - the National team.
• The support and guidance to achieve the qualifications and experience necessary for life beyond professional rugby. There are two levels within the Academy structure. Level 2 is contractual and therefore requires additional commitments by individuals when compared to Level 1 Academy members who are invited to participate in the programme with a view to progressing to Level 2.
What we're looking for...
We're looking for people who have the potential to become professional rugby players. So, to become a member of the Munster Rugby Academy, you should be able to show us that you have at least one of the following:
• The potential to play for Munster or the National team.
• The motivation and commitment to succeed on the field and in your academic or career aspirations.
• Previous playing experience at Provincial or National Representative level or Schools Senior Cup team.
So, what is the Munster Rugby Academy?
The Academy is a programme that will enhance the development of our best young rugby players by providing innovative rugby thinking and advice that will ultimately foster and enhance their rugby skills.
Under the guidance of a full-time Academy Manager you'll receive guidance on key areas including positional skills, sports psychology, fitness and nutrition.
Because it is vital to prepare for life after rugby, the Academy Manager will assist Academy members to maximise personal, educational and career development opportunities. The Academy is a three-year programme running from June to June each year.
What the Academy will provide...
The Munster Academy will provide you with the knowledge, support and guidance to be the best you can be, both in a rugby environment and in life outside of rugby. As a member of the Academy you'll take part in:
• An intensive training programme of supervised gym and speed work with performance testing by a professional Munster fitness trainer.
• Video analysis to provide feedback on how to improve your playing skills and progress to a higher level in your specialist position.
• Sport psychology sessions run by a specialist sport psychologist covering goal setting, confidence, activation, control and concentration.
• Seminars incorporating a range of rugby and life skill topics including: sport physiology, principles of training, nutrition, sports medicine, communication, time management, leadership, positional coaching.
• Ongoing interviews with the Academy Manager to review and measure personal development in all areas of the Academy programme, as well as educational and career advancement.
Munster Rugby Academy 2004
The current group of Academy players includes;
Level 2 Academy Members
Shane O'Connor - second row - Cork Con Frank Cogan - No 8 - Cork Con Richard Lane - wing - UCC Anthony Kavanagh - no 8 - Garryowen Breiffne O'Donnell - centre - UL Bohemians Tomas O'Leary - scrumhalf - Dolphin Donnacha Ryan - second row - UCC Mark Melbourne - second row - Garryowen Ross Noonan - back row - UCC Tom Gleeson - centre - UCC Duncan Williams - scrumhalf - UCC Gary Walsh - prop - UL Bohemians
Level 1 Academy Members
Darragh Hurley - prop - UCC Michael Essex - backrow - UCC Billy Holland - backrow - UCC Barry Keeshan - flyhalf - Cork Con Keith Earls - centre - St Munchins College Barry O'Mahony - openside - Crescent Comp Aaron McCloskey - second row - Crescent Comp Dave Sherry - backrow - Ard Scoil Ris Conan Doyle - flyhalf - Limerick IT Sean Cronin - hooker - Limerick Tutorial College
How do I get into the Munster Academy?
The programme is designed for elite players and selection into the Academy is through a comprehensive screening process during the season and at Munster Summer camps.
The performances on the pitch with your School, Club and Representative team are also closely monitored by YDO's, RDO's, Elite Development Officers and the Provincial Development Manager.
Additional feedback from School, Club and Representative Coaches is taken into consideration by the Academy Board for final selection following interview of candidates.
Any queries contact the Academy Manager;
Hamish Adams firstname.lastname@example.org