Glenstal Abbey 12-15 Castletroy College
St. Munchin s College 6-0 Christian Brothers College
St. Munchin s booked a place in the semi final with a 6-0 win over Christian Brothers College, and they await the winners of a third round game between Castletroy College and Crescent College Comprehensive due to take place on March 7th. Also on Thursday, Castletroy overcame a tough challenge from Glenstal Abbey School at Thomond Park to keep their title hopes alive. The campaign isn t over yet for Christian Brothers College, however, who will now have to play Presentation Brothers College in the third round, with the winners due to face Rockwell College in the semi final.
Trailing 15-0 at the start of the second half, Glenstal Abbey School mounted a spectacular comeback to almost snatch the win from Castletroy College. Playing with the wind in the first half, Castletroy took their chances early on. First half tries from openside flanker Mark Foley from a tap penalty after 2 minutes and outhalf Peter Murray at 28 minutes, gave Castletroy a 10-0 lead at the break. Adding another try from Man of the Match Ian Moloney at the 45 minute mark, Castletroy s lead looked secure. However, Glenstal refused to be beaten, and showed considerable character by coming back to within a score of Castletroy. First across the line after 51 minutes was centre Cathal Hughes, which captain Raymond Fullam converted, and scrum half Andy Ryan picked up their second try after 58 minutes. Despite considerable pressure for the closing minutes, Castletroy s defence held firm, with stellar performances from Man of the Match Ian Moloney, out half Peter Murray and Paul Dooley at second row. In the backs, full back Darren Moloney had a fine performance. Despite some reshuffling in the Glenstal line up this week due to the unavailability of flanker Rory Dunne and centre Ross Ferrera, Glenstal competed well in all areas, with Castletroy s early scores proving the difference in the sides.
Castletroy College have earned themselves a third round game against Crescent College Comprehensive on March 7th, with the winners due to meet St. Munchin s College.
St. Munchin s College claimed the second semi final place on Thursday with a hard fought 6-0 win over Christian Brothers College at Clifford Park. Despite the low score, the game was certainly not without its drama, with CBC continuing to mount waves of attack up into the dying moments of the game.
Flanker Michael Madden claimed both of St. Munchin s scores, with two penalties in the first half after 10 and 20 minutes. With fine displays from No. 8 Ger Burke and the half back pairing of Conor O Driscoll and Robert Guerin, St. Munchin s dominated the first half. After the restart, a physically stronger CBC pack forced St. Munchin s College to defend for much of the half, with impressive performances from CBC s second row Brian Hayes and No. 8 Willie Ryan. Despite the constant pressure, St. Munchin s defence held firm, thwarting a late effort from a 40 yard rolling maul from CBC by holding them up inches from the line. St. Munchin s College held on to claim the victory and booked themselves a semi final place. All is not lost for Christian Brothers College, who can still make the last four if they can overcome local rivals Presentation Brothers College in the third round on March 8th.
St. Munchin s College
Pat Tobin; Craig O Hanlon, Darragh Turner, Cathal O Neill, William White; Robert Guerin, Conor O Driscoll; Robert Kirby, Joe Sherrin, Ben Sergeant; Sean Duggan, Mark Healy; Michael Madden, Adam Kennedy, Ger Burke (c).
Replacements: Alan Peters for White.
Christian Brothers College:
Robert Clune; Graham Mackessy, Darragh Dunne, Brian O Leary, Thomas Harrington; Jer Holland, Brian Slater; Chris Corkery, Mark Carroll, Damien Artridge; Brian Hayes, Ian O Gorman; Derry Nagle, Ronan Barry, Willie Ryan.
Replacement: Alex Daly for Holland (50)
Referee: L Colgan (MAR)
Glenstal Abbey School
15. Paul Comerford, 14. Chris McGrath, 13. Cathal Hughes, 12. Raymond Fullam (captain), 11. Tom Doyle, 10. Michael O Flynn, 9. Andrew Ryan, 1. Hubert Devin, 2. Brian Costigan, 3. Des O Callaghan, 4. Shane Cosgrove, 5. Sean Lewis, 6. Duncan Casey, 7. Sam Holt, 8. JJ Clarke
David Lynch, Ben Donahoe, Liam Mungovan, JP O Donnell, Daniel Costello, Daniel Heffernan, Donchadh Casey
15. Darren Moroney, 14. Hugh Conlon, 12. Darragh Bonsil, 13. Kieran Clancy, Murphy, 11. Keith Hodkinson, 10. Peter Murray, 9. Jack Kenny, 1. Ciaran O Hanlon, 2. Eoin O Flynn, 3. Ian Moloney, 4. Paul Dooley, 5. David Quinlan, 6. Sean Nicholas, 7. Mark Foley, 8. Darragh Hannon.
Replacements: Alan Barry for Hodkinson (25), Shane Ahern for Kenny (50), Darragh O Malley for Moloney (66)
AVONMORE MILK MUNSTER SCHOOLS JUNIOR CUP
- Thursday 2/2/06: Castletroy College 3-14 St. Munchin s College
- Tuesday 7/2/06: Glenstal Abbey 10-29 CBC
- Wednesday 1/2/06: Rockwell College 15-14 PBC
- Wednesday 1/2/06: Crescent College Comprehensive 25-10 Ard Scoil Ris
Second Round- All games at 3pm and all with extra time (2 x 5 minutes)
- Thursday 23/2/06: Castletroy College 15-12 Glenstal Abbey School, Back pitch Thomond Park
- Wednesday 22/2/06: Presentation Brothers College 62-0 Ard Scoil Ris
- Thursday 23/2/06: St. Munchin s College 6-0 Christian Brothers College, Clifford Park, 3pm
- Wednesday 22/2/06: Rockwell College 8-3 Crescent College Comprehensive
Third Round- All games at 3pm and all with extra time (2 x 5 minutes)
- Tuesday 7/3/06: Castletroy College v Crescent College Comprehensive
- Wednesday 8/3/06: Presentation Brothers College v Christian Brothers College
Semi Finals- All games at 3pm
- Tuesday 14/3/06: St. Munchin s College v. Winners Game I.
- Wednesday 15/3/06: Rockwell College v. Winners Game J.
Winners Games G and H are at home.
Wednesday 29th March 2006