Castletroy College 3-14 St. Munchin's
St. Munchin s College launched their Munster Schools Junior Cup campaign with a hard fought win over a well drilled Castletroy College in the first round of the quarter finals at Thomond Park on Thursday. Testimony to the battle that took place on the pitch was the fact that the first score wasn t claimed until 20 minutes into the game, with Castletroy College s full back Darren Moroney kicking a penalty. The game remained a forwards battle for much of the first half with the only break in the stalemate coming in the dying minutes with a try in the corner from St. Munchin s College captain and No. 8 Ger Burke, which was converted by second row Michael Madden, to give St. Munchin s a 7-3 lead at the break. The game opened out considerably in the second half, with more back play being brought into the mix. Castletroy s Darren Moroney remained a threat to St. Munchin s throughout, looking dangerous in attack. However, Ger Burke s second try of the day in the 51st minute, again converted by Madden gave St. Munchin s a considerable cushion going into the final stages. St. Munchin s College held on to claim the victory, and will face the winners of Christian Brothers College and Glenstal Abbey School. Castletroy get a second chance when they face off to the losers of this tie which is due to take place on Tuesday next.
15. Darren Moroney, 14. Hugh Conlon, 13. Darragh Bonsil, 12. Stephen Murphy, 11. Kieran Canty, 10. Peter Murray, 9. Jack Kenny, 1. Ciaran O Hanlon, 2. Eoin O Flynn, 3. Ian Moloney, 4. Paul Dooley, 5. David Quinlan, 6. Sean Nicholas, 7. Mark Foley, 8. Darragh Hannon.
Replacements: Alan Barry for Murray (50), Keith Hodkinson for Murphy (40)
St. Munchin s College:
15. Pat Tobin, 14. Alan Peters, 13. Darragh Turner, 12. Cathal O Neill, 11. Willie White, 10. Ben Sargant, 9. Robert Guerin, 1. Rory Sargant, 2. John Sherin, 3. Michael Kirby, 4. Sean Duggan, 5. Michael Madden, 6. Mark Healy, 7. Adam Kennedy, 8. Ger Burke (captain)
Replacements: Conor O Driscoll for Sargent (55), Cian Tsang for Healy (58), Aaron Dineen for Kirby (58), Craig O Hanlon for Peters (30)
Avonmore Milk Munster Schools Junior Cup Quarter Finals First Round:
Crescent College Comprehensive 25-10 Ardscoil R s
Rockwell College 15-14 Presentation Brothers College Cork
Last year s champions Ardscoil Ris suffered defeat in the first round of the Avonmore Milk Munster Schools Junior Cup quarter final to a rampant Crescent College Comprehensive, who notched up four tries, a penalty and a conversion in their 25-10 win on Wednesday.
Opening the scoring after ten minutes, full back Eoin O Toole put Crescent College Comprehensive three points ahead with a converted penalty, with O Toole adding to his tally 6 minutes later when he crossed the line for a try. Prop Jack Flannery widened the margin on 22 minutes when he scored Crescent s second try, which left Crescent leading 13-0 at half time. Shortly after the break winger Ian McGarry added to Ardscoil Ris woes when he scored a try (36 mins) with Brian Downey scoring Crescent s fourth try on 43 minutes. Eoin O Toole converted to complete their scoring, giving them a 25-0 lead going into the last quarter of the game. Late second half tries from winger Evan Brophy and replacement second row Adam Broe gave Ardscoil Ris some consolation, but it wasn t enough to deny Crescent College Comprehensive the victory.
A try in the ninth minute of stoppage time gave Rockwell College a 15-14 victory over Presentation Brothers College Cork in the first round of the quarter finals at Clonmel RFC. In what was a close game throughout, the Tipperary side claimed the honours, despite a formidable attack from PBC.
Rockwell opened the scoring with a penalty after two minutes which was converted by out half Paul McEvoy. Seventeen minutes later PBC put their first score on the board with a try from first centre Patrick O Connell, which was converted by outhalf Kevin Kidney. The scoreline remained locked on 7-3 for the remainder of the half as the two evenly matched teams attempted to dominate. Twelve minutes into the second half, Rockwell College edged in front when they were awarded a penalty try, with McEvoy converting, to put them 10-7 ahead. Seven minutes later, PBC replied, with a try from scrum half Olan Kelleher, with Kidney once again on target with the conversion, giving PBC a 14-10 lead going into the final stages. The hero of the hour for Rockwell was first centre Brian Smith who snatched the victory with an impressive try nine minutes into stoppage time.
The structure of this year s competition ensures that all teams will have at least one more chance to progress in a second round, with a third round deciding the semi final line up. Rockwell College will play Crescent College Comprehensive in the second round on Wednesday 22nd February, while PBC are due to play Ardscoil Ris on Thursday 23rd.
Ardscoil Ris Team:
15. Robert Hennessy, 14. Evan Brophy, 13. Billy Storan, 12. Pat McCarthy, 11. Eoghan O Driscoll-Collins, 10. Cian O Shea, 9. Shane Kilcoyne, 1. Sean O Connor, 2. David Rowley (captain), 3. Paul Bogan, 4. Rossa Foley, 5. Eoin Murphy, 6. Joe Burke, 7. Rob O Brien, 8. Paul Canty
Replacements: Adam Broe for Foley (42), Cian Williams for Hennessy (42)
Crescent College Comprehensive
15. Eoin O Toole, 14. Ian McGarry, 13. Daragh O Doherty, 12. Nicholas O Keeffe, 11. Andrew McDonnell, 10. Garreth Quinn McDonagh, 9. Aran Healy, 1. Cathal O Connor, 2. Peter Power, 3. Jack Flannery, 4. Jack Bourke, 5. Thomas Wall, 6. Brian Downey, 7. Gavin Fleming, 8. Ivan Sherlock.
Replacements: Sean Upton for Healy (43), Jack Kennedy for O Toole (50), Gavin Herbert for McGarry (50), Kevin Hartnett for Downey (50), John Randles for Power (52), Paul Murphy for Bourke (52), Ian O Connor for Wall (52)
15. Sean Boland, 14. Michael Geraghty, 13. Gavin Ryan, 12. Brian Smith, 11. Eoin Farrell, 10. Paul McEvoy, 9. Ethan Ahern, 1. David Dennehy, 2. Luke O Donnell, 3. James Nolan, 4. Shane O Flynn, 5. Jack Lonergan, 6. Joseph O Connor, 7. Patrick Butler (Captain), 8. Criomhthan McCarthy
Replacements: Tom Woodlock for Lonergan (45), Tom Doyle for Nolan (47), Robert Ryan for Gavin Ryan (48)
Presentation Brothers College Cork:
15. Cian Griffin, 14. Shane Bruton, 13. Brian Carroll, 12. Patrick O Connell, 11. Cian Bohane, 10. Kevin Kidney, 9. Olan Kelleher, 1. Ian Mularkey, 2. Kevin O Byrne, 3. James O Sullivan, 4. Roy O Callaghan, 5. David O Mahony, 6. Greg Darmody, 7. Conal Murphy, 8. Johnny McCarthy.
Replacements: Gearoid O Sullivan for O Byrne (28), Olan Dennehy for Carroll (40),
AVONMORE MILK MUNSTER SCHOOLS JUNIOR CUP FIXTURES
TUESDAY 7th FEBRUARY
Avonmore Schools Junior Cup Quarter Finals First Round:
Glenstal Abbey v CBC, Garryowen FC, 3pm
(Extra time (2x5 mins) will be played if necessary)
First Round.- All games at 3.00 p.m. and all with extra time (2.x 5 minutes)
Second Round- All games at 3.00 p.m. and all with extra time (2 x 5 minutes)
Third Round.- All games at 3.00 p.m. and all with extra time (2 x 5 minutes)
Semi-Finals- All games at 3.00 p.m.
Winners Games G and H are at home.
The final will take place on Wednesday, 29th March 2006.