AVONMORE MILK MUNSTER SCHOOLS JUNIOR CUP
Rockwell College 10 Christian Brothers College 17
It was certainly a game of two halves in Clonmel RFC on Wednesday when Christian Brothers College claimed their place in this year s final of the Avonmore Milk Munster Schools Junior Cup. Trailing 10-0 at half time, the Cork side staged a dramatic comeback to clinch the victory and now look set to face St. Munchin s College in the final on March 29th.
Rockwell College took the game to Christian Brothers College in the first half, claiming their first score after a 7th minute penalty converted by outhalf Paul McEvoy. Eight minutes later they added to their tally with a try from centre Gavin Ryan, who won the race for the touch down after his neat kick ahead. McEvoy converted to extend their lead to 10-0. However, before the break, CBC started to control the game, keeping Rockwell pinned back for the closing stages and forcing them to defend. The physically bigger CBC pack started to have a major influence on the game, winning key line out possession and using their superior power to halt Rockwell s progress. Just a minute after the restart a try from Ian O Gorman from a line out put CBC on the scoresheet, with out half Joe Holland converting to bring CBC right back into the game. While the game remained close throughout the second half, the deadlock was broken with a try from hooker Mark Carroll, who got the touch line after winning good possession from another line out, putting CBC 12-10 ahead. As Rockwell sought to play a more expansive game, a missed penalty opportunity did not aid their cause. An opportunistic try from winger Thomas Harrington in the 5th minute of injury time confirmed CBC s victory, and booked their place in the final. For Rockwell College, it s a difficult defeat to swallow, having played well and led for so long in the game. Flanker Patrick Butler had an outstanding game, with great support from second rows Shane O Flynn and Jack Lonergan. Out half Paul McEvoy was tremendous throughout, while centres Gavin Ryan and Brian Smith always looked threatening. However, it was to be CBC s day, with replacement Darragh Dunne having a huge impact on the game when he came on for the second half. No. 8 Willie Ryan has shown great consistency throughout this campaign, and this game was no exception as he put in another fine performance. Captain Damien Attridge led from the front and also put in another stellar performance in the No. 3 jersey.
The final of the Avonmore Milk Munster Schools Junior Cup is due to be held in Cork on March 29th, with St. Munchin s College meeting CBC after the Limerick side had a 12-7 win over Crescent College Comprehensive in the other half of the draw.
15. Sean Boland, 14. Michael Geraghty, 13. Gavin Ryan, 12. Brian Smith, 11. Eoin Farrell, 10. Paul McEvoy, 9. Ethan Ahern, 1. Tom Doyle, 2. Luke O Donnell, 3. James Nolan, 4. Shane O Flynn, 5. Jack Lonergan, 6. Joseph O Connor, 7. Patrick Butler (Captain), 8. Criomhthan McCarthy
Replacements: (not used)
16. Ivor Deeleman, 17. Colm O Donnell, 18. Tom Woodlock, 19. Robert Thornton, 20. Alex Kirwan, 21. Robert Ryan, 22. Shane Kavanagh
Christian Brothers College
15. Alex Daly, 14. Graham Mackessy, 13. Robert Clune, 12. Bryan O Leary, 11. Thomas Harrington, 10. Joe Holland, 9. Brian Slater (Vice Captain), 1. Evan O Sullivan, 2. Mark Carroll, 3. Damien Attridge (Captain), 4. Brian Hayes, 5. Ian O Gorman, 6. Jack Lynch, 7. Derry Nagle, 8. Willie Ryan
Darragh Dunne for Alex Daly (ht), Jack Moloney for Brian Slater (ht), Emmett Doyle for Jack Lynch (54)
Referee: Dave O Flynn (MAR)
AVONMORE MILK MUNSTER SCHOOLS JUNIOR CUP
- Thursday 2/2/06: Castletroy College 3-14 St. Munchin s College
- Tuesday 7/2/06: Glenstal Abbey 10-29 Christian Brothers College
- Wednesday 1/2/06: Rockwell College 15-14 Presentation Brothers College
- Wednesday 1/2/06: Crescent College Comprehensive 25-10 Ard Scoil Ris
- Thursday 23/2/06: Castletroy College 15-12 Glenstal Abbey School
- Wednesday 22/2/06: Presentation Brothers College 62-0 Ard Scoil Ris
- Thursday 23/2/06: St. Munchin s College 6-0 Christian Brothers College
- Wednesday 22/2/06: Rockwell College 8-3 Crescent College Comprehensive
- Tuesday 7/3/06: Castletroy College 3-10 Crescent College Comprehensive
- Wednesday 8/3/06: Presentation Brothers College 10-22 Christian Brothers College
- Tuesday 14/3/06: St. Munchin s College 12-7 Crescent College Comprehensive
- Wednesday 15/3/06: Rockwell College 10-17 Christian Brothers College
Musgrave Park Cork, Wednesday 29th March 2006
Avonmore Milk Munster Schools Senior Cup Final
Friday 17th March 2006
St. Munchin's College v PBC
Thomond Park, 3.30 pm.