All You Need To Know | Munster v South Africa Select XV
10th November 2022 By The Editor
Munster face a South Africa Select XV, in assocation with Pinergy, in the first-ever rugby game at Páirc Uí Chaoimh on Thursday night in an historic game for the province.
A sell-out crowd of 41,400 people will attend, a record attendance for a rugby game in the province.
Read the Munster team announcement here.
Find out all you need to know ahead of Munster v South Africa Select XV below.
Páirc Uí Chaoimh
Thursday, November 10, 7.30pm
The game will be live on Virgin Media 2 for viewers in the Republic of Ireland and will be available live on Virgin Media Player for viewers worldwide (except South Africa). For viewers in South Africa, the game will be live on SuperSport.
Did you know?
- The winners will receive the Pinergy Shield.
- This will be the first time in the professional era that Munster Rugby face a South African touring side, with the last encounter taking place in 1970.
- While the sides have met on three occasions, South Africa remain the only major touring side the province have yet to record a win against.
- The goal posts in Páirc Uí Chaoimh are not fit for purpose for a rugby game. The goal posts will be removed from Thomond Park and transported to the Cork venue early next week. The Musgrave Park posts were not an option due to different fittings.
- Munster will wear their new adidas European kit for the first time.
Munster: Mike Haley; Shane Daly, Antoine Frisch, Rory Scannell, Simon Zebo; Ben Healy, Paddy Patterson; Josh Wycherley, Diarmuid Barron, Roman Salanoa; Edwin Edogbo, Kiran McDonald; Jack O’Donoghue (C), John Hodnett, Gavin Coombes.
Replacements: Niall Scannell, Liam O’Connor, Keynan Knox, Cian Hurley, Alex Kendellen, Neil Cronin, Patrick Campbell, Malakai Fekitoa.
South Africa XV: Aphelele Fassi (Sharks); Suleiman Hartzenberg (Stormers), Henco van Wyk (Lions), Cornal Hendricks (Bulls), Leolin Zas (Stormers); Johan Goosen (Bulls), Herschel Jantjies (Stormers); Ntuthuko Mchunu (Sharks), Joseph Dweba (Stormers), Thomas du Toit (C) (Sharks); Jason Jenkins (Leinster); Ruan Nortje (Bulls); Phepsi Buthelezi (Sharks), Elrigh Louw (Bulls), Jean-Luc du Preez (Sale Sharks).
Replacements: Andre-Hugo Venter (Stormers), Simphiwe Matanzima (Bulls), Sazi Sandi (Stormers), Dan du Preez (Sale Sharks), Sikhumbuzo Notshe (Sharks), Grant Williams (Sharks), Sanele Nohamba (Lions), Gianni Lombard (Lions)
Hear from Head Coach Graham Rowntree and Alex Kendellen ahead of the game.
Referee: Karl Dickson
AR1: Sam Grove White
AR2: Ben Blain
TMO: Rowan Kitt
URC Round 8
Saturday, November 26
Munster v Connacht, Thomond Park, 7.35pm; Buy tickets here
Champions Cup Round 1
Sunday, December 11
Munster Rugby v Stade Toulousain, Thomond Park, 3.15pm; Buy tickets here
URC Round 10
Monday, December 26
Munster v Leinster, Thomond Park, 7.35pm; Buy tickets here
Champions Cup Round 3
Saturday, January 14, 2023
Munster Rugby v Northampton Saints, Thomond Park, 3.15pm; Buy tickets here