The Greencore Munster Academy is a 3 year player development programme with the aim of developing players to play professional rugby for Munster and Ireland. We encourage all members of the Academy to continue to pursue 3rd level qualifications and to balance their rugby and academic goals.
The programme develops players over a number of different areas:
- Rugby Technical – Core Skills, Position Specific Skills
- Rugby Tactical – Implementation of skills in the game
- Rugby Strategic – Game understanding and analysis
- Fitness – Endurance, Speed, Strength, Power, Mobility
- Lifestyle Management
Players will train as full time athletes in the pre-season as they will have no academic pressures. Usually 2-3 weeks of camps will be held where players will come together to do an intensive Rugby Conditioning Programmes together.
They will then train in their base of Limerick or Cork for the rest of the pre-season. This is where players make their big gains in Strength, Power, Speed, and Endurance. The Munster Academy also run a lot of the off field modules during this time including Nutrition, Psychology, and Lifestyle Management.
As players come into the in-season their work-load is reduced allowing them time to focus on college work and on their week-to-week playing commitments. Players will still complete two to three gym sessions, two rugby sessions, one speed and one flexibility session. The Munster Academy will maintain the off field modules but with less frequency during the season.
Players get some well deserved down time during the off-season, usually at the end of May or start of June.
Review and Monitoring
The players’ games are videoed and reviewed and monitored by Academy staff weekly. The individual player and coach will sit down to review games to analyse and work on areas to improve.
Entry Into The Academy
Players are monitored throughout the province from entry into their 1st Development squad at U16 age grade right through to Munster U20’s. As players progress the Munster Academy identify potential professional players and once they leave school they can be selected for the Sub Academy programme. The Sub Academy programme is a screening period where players get to train in a professional envioroment with a view to how they cope.
The Munster Academy continue to monitor players who have not made development squads as players continue to develop throught the Munster Club and Schools programmes.
Munster supports players with extra training through their clubs and schools to help their continuous development.
- Peter Malone – Elite Player Development Manager
- Grieg Oliver – Elite Player Development Officer
- Colm McMahon – Elite Player Development Officer
- Joe McGinley – Lead Academy Strength and Conditioning
- Gordon Brett – Academy Strength and Conditioning
- Feargal O’Callaghan – Lead Sub Academy Strength and Conditioning
- Damien O’Donoghue – Sub Academy Strength and Conditioning
- Jonny McGailey – Sub Academy Strength and Conditioning
- Brian Fitzgerald – Video Analysis
- David Hanley – Lead Academy Physio
- Shane Malone – Academy Physio
Some previous graduates of the Munster Academy:-
- Peter O’Mahony
- Conor Murray
- Simon Zebo
- Keith Earls
- Mike Sherry
- Tommy O’Donnell
- Stephen Archer
- Donnacha Ryan
- Billy Holland
- Dave Kilcoyne
- James Cronin
- Dave Foley
- Denis Hurley