Rockwell College 8-3 Crescent College Comprehensive
Rockwell College continued with their winning run in this year s Avonmore Milk Munster Schools Junior Cup an 8-3 win over Crescent College Comprehensive. Having not won the Munster Schools Junior Cup since 1997, the Tipperary side booked the first semi final spot in a tough game against the formidable Limerick side at Clonmel RFC. Elsewhere, Presentation Brothers College Cork had a comprehensive 62-0 victory over Ard Scoil Ris in their second round game, with the Cork side notching up ten tries against the defending champions.
At Clonmel, Rockwell College started strongly, and claimed the first score with a 12th minute drop goal from out half Paul McEvoy. However, a physically bigger Crescent pack dominated proceedings for the remainder of the half, and only a stout Rockwell defence prevented them from making any headway into the scoreline. Crescent continued with their attacking play after the restart, and levelled the score nine minutes into the second half with a well taken penalty in front of the goal from winger Andrew McDonnell. The score had an immediate effect on Rockwell, who upped the ante and were rewarded seven minutes later with a try from centre Brian Smith, with Paul McEvoy s conversion attempt hitting the posts. The Tipperary side held on for the victory, despite Crescent dominating up front, led by their outstanding No. 8 Brian Downey. Downey was well supported throughout by his second rows Thomas Wall and Ivan Sherlock, with excellent work from scrum half Aran Healy. Rockwell, playing a more open game, had a number of fine performers including the centre pairing of Brian Smith and Gavin Ryan, with openside flanker Patrick Butler demonstrating his terrific work rate.
The win puts Rockwell College in the semi final in Clonmel on Wednesday March 15th, with the opposition yet to be decided. The competition isn t over for Crescent College Comprehensive, who will play the winners of Glenstal Abbey School and Castletroy College on Tuesday 7th March in a bid to keep their title hopes alive.
At Musgrave Park, a rampaging Presentation Brothers College made amends for their 15-14 defeat to Rockwell College in the opening round of the quarter finals with a solid performance against Ard Scoil Ris. The defending champions had plenty of new faces in this year s competition, and to their credit continued to compete despite an onslaught from the Cork side. Leading 33-0 at half time, PBC s first half scorers included centre Bryan Carroll, winger Shane Bruton, two tries from fullback Cian Griffin, and one from flanker Gregg Darmody. In the second half Darmody claimed his second try, as did centre Bryan Carroll. Replacement winger Robert Browner went over for a try seconds after his arrival on the pitch, with centre Paddy O Connell scoring picking up two tries before the end of the game. Out half Kevin Kidney kicked six conversions in a game where PBC signalled their intent. Best for Ard Scoil Ris included the lively out half Cian O Shea with No. 8 Robert O Brien also having a fine game.
It s the end of the road for Ard Scoil Ris in this competition, and for Presentation Brothers College, a meeting with the losers of St. Munchin s College and Christian Brothers College awaits them on March 8th.
On Thursday, St. Munchin s College face Christian Brothers College at Clifford Park, while Castletroy College and Glenstal Abbey School face off on the back pitch at Thomond Park. Both games kick off at 3pm.
AVONMORE MILK MUNSTER SCHOOLS JUNIOR CUP
- Thursday 2/2/06: Castletroy College 3-14 St. Munchin s College
- Tuesday 7/2/06: Glenstal Abbey 10-29 CBC
- Wednesday 1/2/06: Rockwell College 15-14 PBC
- Wednesday 1/2/06: Crescent College Comprehensive 25-10 Ard Scoil Ris
Second Round- All games at 3pm and all with extra time (2 x 5 minutes)
- Thursday 23/2/06: Castletroy College v Glenstal Abbey School, Back pitch Thomond Park
- Wednesday 22/2/06: Presentation Brothers College 62-0 Ard Scoil Ris
- Thursday 23/2/06: St. Munchin s College v Christian Brothers College, Clifford Park, 3pm
- Wednesday 22/2/06: Rockwell College 8-3 Crescent College Comprehensive
Third Round- All games at 3pm and all with extra time (2 x 5 minutes)
- Tuesday 7/3/06: Winners Game E v Crescent College Comprehensive
- Wednesday 8/3/06: Presentation Brothers College v Losers Game G
Semi Finals- All games at 3pm
- Tuesday 14/3/06: Winners Game G v. Winners Game I.
- Wednesday 15/3/06: Rockwell College v. Winners Game J.
Winners Games G and H are at home.
Wednesday 29th March 2006
Crescent College Comprehensive
15. Eoin O Toole, 14. Ian McGarry, 13. Daragh O Doherty, 12. Nicholas O Keeffe, 11. Andrew McDonnell, 10. Garreth Quinn McDonagh, 9. Aran Healy, 1. Cathal O Connor, 2. Peter Power, 3. Jack Flannery, 4. Ivan Sherlock, 5. Thomas Wall, 6. Kevin O Shea, 7. Gavin Fleming, 8. Brian Downey
15. Sean Boland, 14. Michael Geraghty, 13. Gavin Ryan, 12. Brian Smith, 11. Eoin Farrell, 10. Paul McEvoy, 9. Ethan Ahern, 1. David Dennehy, 2. Luke O Donnell, 3. James Nolan, 4. Shane O Flynn, 5. Jack Lonergan, 6. Joseph O Connor, 7. Patrick Butler (Captain), 8. Criomhthan McCarthy
Replacements: Tom Woodlock for Jack Lonergan (50), Tom Doyle for James Nolan (50), Robert Ryan for Michael Geraghty (50)
Presentation Brothers College
15. Cian Griffin, 14. Shane Bruton, 13. Paddy O Connell, 12. Bryan Carroll, 11. Stephen Jordan, 10. Kevin Kidney, 9. Olan Kelleher, 1. Ian Mularkey, 2. Kevin O Byrne, 3. James O Sullivan, 4. Roy O Callaghan, 5. David O Mahony, 6. Gregg Darmody, 7. Conal Murphy, 8. John MacCarthy
Robert Browner for Bruton (35), Conor McMahon for Darmody (38), Peter Lucey for O Sullivan (38), Graham Murray for Carroll (40), Darren O Connell for Mularkey (45), Gearoid O Sullivan for O Byrne (45), Jack Costigan for Kelleher (45)
Ard Scoil Ris:
15. Robert Hennessy, 14. Barry Sheehan, 13. Eoghan O Driscoll Collins, 12. Pat McCarthy, 11. Evan Brophy, 10. Cian O Shea, 9. Shane Kilcoyne, 1. Sean O Connor, 2. David Rowley, 3. Paul Bogan, 4. Eoin Murphy, 5. Rossa Foley, 6. Paul Canty, 7. Joe Bourke, 8. Robert O Brien
Cian Williams for Kilcoyne (25), Conor Ryan for Foley (HT), Adam Broe for Murphy (50), Peter Hayes for O Brien (55)
Trevor Collins (MAR)