The Ireland Schools team ended the 4 Nations U18 tournament on a high
note this afternoon when they beat Scotland Schools 19-10 in
Cheltenham RFC, Gloucester.
After defeats to England and Wales in the previous two games, Ireland
needed to start strongly and did exactly that when they scored after
5 minutes through second row Brian Cawley following a rolling maul
close to the Scotland line. Andrew Burke pushed the conversion wide.
It got even better after 20 minutes when full back Jamie Smith scored
wide on the left following a blindside move. Burke made up for his
earlier miss by nailing the conversion from the touchline.
Scotland's only score was a penalty late in the half to leave Ireland
ahead 12 - 3 at halftime.
Ireland continued to dominate after the break and following another
close in maul, flanker Patrick Mallon crossed the line, which was
again converted by Burke.
Scotland put Ireland under a lot of pressure and got their rewards
when they scored a converted try with 15 minutes to go in the game.
Ireland defended well for the remainder of the game to hold out for
their first victory of the tournament.
15. Jamie Smith (Campbell College)
14. David Mongan (Belvedere College)
13. Eoin O'Malley (Belvedere College)
12. Scott Deasy (PBC Cork)
11. Paul Cochrane (Coleraine Inst)
10. Andrew Burke (Crescent College)
9. Michael Wilson (Rainey Endowed School)
1. Paul Karayiannis (RBAI)
2. Stephen Douglas (RBAI) Captain
3. Matthew Nelson (Wallace High School)
4. Paul Ryan (Blackrock College)
5. Brian Cawley (Blackrock College)
6. Patrick Mallon (St Michaels College)
7. David Johnston (Methodist College)
8. Kieran Essex (CBC Cork)
Patrick McCabe (Belvedere College) for Paul Karayiannis (55mins), Ken
Hanley (Crescent College) for David Johnston (55 mins), Michael
Sherry (Ard Scoil Ris) for Stephen Douglas (62 mins), Stephen Archer
(CBC Cork) for Matthew Nelson (67 mins).